wrong soojung

A New Anthology

soojung receives a package one day. a package that is most definitely, not hers.

soul x sujeong | 1908 words | fluff

by bbombomi


          Upon pulling the door to her apartment open, Soojung is greeted with a middle-aged, smiling postman and "Miss Soojung?"

          "Yeah that would be me." She replies impatiently, her half functioning brain doesn't remember that she's expecting any package today. It's 9 AM and she only had like three hours of sleep - it's been said programmer works best on late hours and Soojung's proved the theory true, she writes codes better when she's a night owl.

          "Delivery from Kim Kei Shop." The guy passes her a medium sized carton box with cute floral pattern on it and a piece of paper. "Please sign here."

          The shop name somewhat rings a bell, it's pretty famous online shop where her female acquaintances got their fancy outfits, all frilly and colourful - and totally not Soojung's style so there is no way in hell she would ever order anything from there. She does sign as instructed though. Probably just one of Yein or Jisoo's lunacy again.

          Soojung tosses the box to her couch later when the postman disappears and goes back directly to her bed. It's not until evening she remembers about it and check the contents of her mystery package.

*****

          "Look at this."

          Yein swivel her chair around towards Soojung, and her face breaks into an absolutely horrified expression.

          "I didn't know you think that way about me, and i... i appreciate it, Soojung unnie. Really. But i can't wear these for you, i am very faithful to my Jisoo."

          The contents of Soojung's mystery package, they are few pairs of y swimsuits. Apparently, Kim Kei Shop have expanded their fashion business and recently got their own swimwear line. Just now Soojung's emptied the whole box into Yein's desk.

          "Don't play dumb! I know you and Jisoo have something up your sleeve!"

          Hearing all the ruckus plus her name being mentioned, Jisoo joins them in the study room. "What's happening here?"

          "Don't what's happening? me, Seo Jisoo. This is a prank, isn't this?" The older girl barks in irritation, picking up one of the article of clothes with two fingers and let it dangling it as if it's something filthy. "If you plan something crazy again like setting me up with anyone, drop it right now. Besides i'm pretty sure i'm not gonna look flattering wearing monokini two sizes bigger for me!"

          "No way, gurl. These are hella expensive if i ever had that kind of money i'd rather get myself some new trekking gears rather than splurge on designer's swimsuits for mere jokes!"

          While Jisoo and Soojung argue, Yein has picked the box and began examining the label sticked onto it. "Oh they delivered it to wrong Soojung."

          "Yeah if you think i would love wearing this then you're wrong—"

          "No, i mean, this is supposed to be delivered to another Soojung." Yein holds up the label in front of Soojung's face to intervene, finger pointing on the address. "Apparently, there's another one in this building. Ryu Sujeong, in unit 810." And they are 801. Yep, totally a mistake. Soojung must've overlooked the surname due to drowsiness when receiving the package. She didn't even wear her glasses back then.

          ". I should give these damn things back to her." Soojung groans. She doesn't like meeting and talking with strangers, especially the one who intended to buy half dozen pairs of swimsuit in various shades of pink.

          The clock on Yein's study room says half to eleven. Not really a great time to go over someone's house then inform them you have received their package by mistake and looking through the whole contents, right? So a moment later, Soojung decides to text the other Sujeong about the whole accident and promise to come bringing her box on the next day.

*****

          Judging from what and where the girl's shopping from, Soojung's had quite a few imaginations about this neighbour she's waiting for in front of a door with 810 written on it. Some rich, fabulous, Gangnam unnie type... So much taller than her... Maybe can't live without branded clothes and makeup...

          Well however, the door swings open and one thing Soojung's never expected would bounce out to welcome her, is a huge dog.

          A huge, very huge, Golden Retriever.

          Jumping straight at her and causing her to tumble backwards ungracefully with loud holy . The package box flies from her hand and some of the contents are sent all over the place.

          "Oh my god! Tag, stop! Let her go!" There's a tall girl (yes, at least Soojung's not wrong about the height) running up towards them with terrified look all over her face, but it isn't enough to stop the giant fluffball from Soojung's cheek.

          It took them a while before managed to pull this Tag away. As the girl - must be Ryu Sujeong - herded him back to his place behind an indoor animal fence set in the living room, Soojung without being asked promptly collected the swimsuits from the hall's floor. This day really couldn't get any tier, could it?

          Through the whole process, Ryu Sujeong keeps reciting an apologize speech; the dog is not hers, she hasn't been used to take care of dog yet, and he doesn't usually behave so extra like that. It's either he's falling in love with Soojung at the first sight or just bored from being confined inside an apartment.

          (Soojung loves animal but she hopes it's the latter.)

          "Is ice tea okay? I have nothing else fancy here, should've gone groceries shopping sooner i guess. Sorry again." Ryu Sujeong walks back from the kitchen with two cups of assumingly tea, holding out one to the guest. Now without an overly friendly dog trying to hug her to death, Soojung finally can take a good look of the other girl who shares same name with herself. She's definitely not an unnie to Soojung, maybe a few years younger actually. And....

          , she's cute.

          Like, warm round eyes, marshmallow soft cheeks, totally cuddle-able cute. Soojung's ideal type cute.

          Ryu Sujeong is giving you a drink, moron. Five seconds into the awkward staring game, her self-consciousness finally smacked the back of Soojung's head real hard.

          "Oh— Yeah, yes. Sorry. Tea is fine. You don't need to get me anything, actually." She quickly but carefully grabs the cold beverage that's been offered to her, hoping the lack of response before wouldn't seem too weird or rude. Damn slow brain.

          "Nah, you've went through trouble returning my package." They sit down across each other on the couch. "It's very kind of you. Another people would've probably ignored it or kept it for themselves."

          Soojung blushes at the candid compliments. "Just trying to do the right thing here."

          "Oh you're being too modest, uh.. Soojung unnie." The girl smiles. The kind of smile which able to light up a whole building and most likely have blinded Soojung. "Wow it is really kind of weird to speak with people who share your name, eh? We live in the same floor yet never met each other before.."

          "Yeah i know right. I've never heard there's another Sujeong in this building, are you new?"

          "I'm from Chungcheongnam. Got scholarship at SNU so i moved into the town earlier this year." Cute and genius. Awesome. "Tag's owner, Jangjun, kindly let me stay here since and helped settling in. He's currently on vacay now, hence the dogsitting duty."

          ...... Wait, who?

          Soojung's heart plummets downwards at the mention of guy's name. Tag, however, barks excitedly at the mention of his name.

          But, anyway...... Sure.

          Suuuuuure.

          Sujeong's straight, and girl as pretty as her undoubtedly have a boyfriend already. Also there's most likely a long line of men queueing to get noticed by her.

          It's always like this, like the universe have decided not to let Soojung ask someone out even for once.

          "What about you, unnie?"

          What about me? I'm a miserable comp science nerd who, like any other typical nerds, has zero luck when it comes to women, especially a gorgeous one like you— no that's not it, make it stop, Soojung!

          "I'm working freelance, software systems developer." She replies, pretending to adjust her glasses for the thousand times to hide her utterly screwed nerves. "Been living here like forever with my two friends who're happened to be dating. Jisoo is graphic designer, and Yein's still in college studying law. I know. Little band of misfits, we are. Right?"

          "Nah." Sujeong shakes her head, seeming wistful a bit. "It must be nice to have long time friends like that. I know nobody here, my shy nature doesn't help much gaining new friends in campus too."

          "This will probably make you laugh, I hope you won't, but last week i suddenly craved for beach sand and smell of the sea. So i bought all of those swimsuits on impulse." But then she herself is giggling at her own story. "There's no beach in Seoul, but some pools will do, i supposed. It wasn't until later i realized i also have no friends to go with."

          "Um. Why don't you go with your boyfriend?" Soojung asks quietly. Maybe she shouldn't ask. Should she?

          "Boyfriend what?"

          "Tag's owner is not your boyfriend?"

          Silence. They're doing staring game again. One sec, two, three... Suddenly the tall girl breaks into a fit of laughter.

          "No. God, no. He's my bestie's brother, from my hometown." Sujeong laughs so hard she's slapping the couch's armrest and half tearing up. "Not into guys here."

          That last sentence came out rather muffled. Maybe purposefully. She does look bashful, her laughter has been smothered to a shy smile as she steals glance towards the older Soojung.

          (And Soojung? She freezes.)

          "So. Um. I know we only knew each other for... An hour? I don't want to seem super forward but maybe you'd want to go to the water park with me?"

          Oh.

          Ooooh.

          "This is not some proposition i swear." Sujeong adds swiftly, afraid that the other girl might think weirdly at her. But Soojung doesn't tho. She can't even think at this moment, brain short-circuited due to imagination of Sujeong in one of those pink swimsuits she'd bought the other day.

          "We can go with your Jisoo and Yein, trying to know each others. And who knows, maybe I'll be fitting to join your little band of misfits?"

          "Is this double date?" Soojung thinks out loud. Too loud.

          Ryu Sujeong nods, eyes crinkling prettily as her smile widens. "Yes. It is."

*****

          The middle-aged postman comes again. This time, it is Jisoo who opens the door for him.

          "Package for Miss Soojung." He grins.

          Same flowery box. Kim Kei Shop again. Jisoo starts to think this old man probably should resign from his job if he keeps misreading 810 as 801.

          "I'm sorry sir, but i think this is supposed to be for 810—"

          "No, no it's for the right Soojung here!" Soojung appears out of nowhere, shoving Jisoo away from the doorframe and smiling all giddily. She even already has a sharpie in hand, eager to sign her package.

          "Are you suffering from a concussion?" Once the postman gone, Jisoo saunters to the living room following her friend, staring as if pair of horns just grow out of her head.

          Soojung pointedly ignores the question, too busy checking her box. It's swimsuit inside. Lee Soojung bought some bikinis. Lord. Jisoo is very much scared now and considering call an ambulance from mental institution.

          "We're going to water park this weekend. You and Yein, me and our neighbour."

          "Saywhatnow?"

          "No complain, i'mma pay for the tickets so don't make me change my mind."

          Jisoo practically has her jaw on the floor.

          "It's double date."