Awaiting

A New Anthology

In volleyball, or basically every kind of sport, it's an absolute rule for the athlete to be focused all the time, especially when they're standing on the field – that's what Yein's coach often tell before, during, and after practice. Certainly, as the team's captain, it's a given that she sets some good examples to other players as they are all looking up to her. But at this current moment, at the sight of their school infirmary's nurse Seo Jisoo so animatedly conversing with new Science teacher not too faraway on the bench, concentrate suddenly becomes the hardest thing to do.

Next second, the said teacher leans closer to Jisoo, probably whispering something, while Jisoo laughing gleefully – and that's all it takes for every single drop of blood inside Yein to reach boiling point.

"OI JUNG YEIN!"

The voice snaps her out of daze, but it's already too late for Yein to realize that the ball Sujeong just smashed is flying straight towards her direction.

THUD

And everything's suddenly turn black.

———————

Yein sees blurry figure that gradually morphs into Jisoo's worried face as her consciousness fully returns. Apparently she'd fainted and taken into the infirmary.

"Are you alright?" Jisoo asks, smiling ever so soothingly.

"My head hurts so much." Yein groans, rubbing the swollen area in her forehead while getting up into sitting position slowly. "Ugh I'm gonna have bruise the size of tennis ball soon."

"Well, average speed of Sujeong's spike won't be less than 30mph.. Be grateful you still have your head in one piece." Jisoo chuckles, offering new ice pack to compress the younger's injury. "So? What were you thinking? It's really unlike you to space out.."

"Um. Nothing." The way Yein stares past Jisoo's shoulder clearly tells that she's avoiding eye contact with her.

"Yein-ah, you're a terrible liar."

And they both know that statement is true. Fighting down the embarassment, she finally tells the real answer. "I saw you were talking with that Science teacher.."

"Me and Jiae?" Jisoo blinks, looking puzzled. "What's with us?"

"I think, you two were a bit... Too close."

"Of course, she's my old best friend, and she just started working, so I feel kinda obliged to help her getting around the new environment.." She stops as revelation begins to unveiled.

"Aah.." The last piece falls into place now. "You're jealous?"

"N..No! I.." But once again the older girl shoots a look that says you can't lie to me, and Yein visibly droops. "Okay, I maybe was. Just a bit.” 

“I can’t help it. You two were being so close, people probably think there’s something between you. Meanwhile we gotta go miles away from town where nobody knows us just to have a peaceful date.."

Jisoo's expression are half amused and half sorry. "I can't tell Jiae or any other friends of mine because we need to keep this relationship under the wraps for awhile, but you know that I'm serious about us, right? You're the only one for me."

"Yeah I know. I'm so stupid.. Being upset like that."

"Aw, no.. You're not." Jisoo frowns, clutching her girlfriend's hand. "Actually, sometimes I got jealous as well. When you were with the rest of volley team, or your classmates..."

... or basically anyone your age. I wish I could be by your side all the time without people looking at us weirdly.

"I also want to be twenty as soon as possible!" Yein says out of nowhere. As though answering Jisoo's unspoken words. "When that day comes, I'll shout from rooftops, I love Seo Jisoo! or something like that!"

"We will go on a date in every places we can't visit together now! Café, watching movies, walking hand in hand along Han River at midnight, maybe short vacation to Japan too after I earn money from part-time.. Oh and I really can't wait to show off to my friends I have a perfect girlfriend, that is you!"  

Just envisioning about so many things they could do later after she graduates – which means they are no longer forbidden school staff and student couple – excites Yein instantly. How her doe eyes cutely lighten up at those thoughts, the fact that she wants them to have a future together; they melt Jisoo's heart.

"One more year. Just wait for one more year, and we will definitely live all your dreams." Jisoo says quietly. She smiles gently despite the sudden burning feeling on the back of her eyes, brushing away some stray bangs before placing a sweet kiss on Yein's forehead. "Let's look forward to it together, okay?"

———————

For YesooJjang I'm so, so very sorry I took so long (been sick since awhile ago) and if this isn't what you're hoping for ㅠ_ㅠ