We're Just Trying To Help

A New Anthology

based loosely on prompt “I sent a selfie of myself in the tub to the wrong person and you responded back with another selfie. Holy you’re so attractive.”

———————   

Jiae realized she's more inclined romantically towards girls for the first time during her high school days. Ever since, she's been endlessly chasing one crush after another - senior in the cooking club, smarty pants who seemed to be camping 24/7 inside the school's library, cool tomboy who were ace of volleyball club, cute girl next door, the list could go on forever - only to get turned down mercilessly every single time.

She doesn't know what is it that have gone so wrong with herself. When it comes to appearance, Jiae's pretty confident with her looks, her baby face doesn't seem aging at all for years, she also has good fashion sense. She's kind and mature, the type who will devote herself to people she loves. Not to mention Jiae's also an outstanding cook and very well organized person, this facts guarantee whoever gets to be her girlfriend will never be underfed. But even with such qualities, apparently she still isn't attractive enough for girls to spare some attentions at her.

So here she is now, twenty three and lonely and sad, spending her Friday night thirdwheeling her best friends' date in trendy gay cafe in one corner of Itaewon.

"How did these people get to meet each other, I wonder..." Jiae stares longingly at couples scattered in dozen of tables around them. "I've been trying anything to have just one girlfriend since forever ago but nothing worked."

"I have lots of female acquaintances. Wanna try send pic to any of them?" Yein's answer almost get Jiae spit the mineral water she's been drink through nose.

"Is that how you managed to woo Sujeong?" Jiae scrunches her face, half-disgusted and half-terrorized with the idea.

"Nah, she was manager of gymnastic team. Why would I need to send nudes if she walked in everytime I changed in dressing room? She'd practically seen everything in the flesh." Yein simply shrugs, stabbing her cake with fork then bringing it into .

"But I did few times in past. Because of boredom, you know." She continues, raising her brows suggestively. "Just try it."

"NO. Oh god you're so unbelieveably twisted."

"What twisted?" Sujeong comes back with strawberry smoothie in hand, startling both of them.

"Your girl— OUCH!" Beneath the table, Yein steps on Jiae’s foot hard.

"Jiae unnie, didn't you say you're hungry? Get anything you want, my treat for our pitiful, single and so desperately ready to mingle lady." She hands her credit card, deceptive angelic smile on her face. Obviously unable to say no to free cakes, Jiae gets up, still sending one last dangerous glare before walks to the long queue on the cafe's counter.

"What were you two talking about?" Sujeong slides into the fluffy pink loveseat, instantly snuggling up to Yein's shoulder.

"Nothing, babe. Just random jokes." Ignoring her girlfriend, Yein takes Jiae's phone which left unattended on their table. "Hey, don't you think it's about time we lend helping hands to save Jiae unnie's love life."

"Help... How?" Sujeong watches in confusion as Yein goes through Jiae's pictures gallery. Another free hand scrolls down her own contacts and a roguish smirk tugs the corner of .

"Just wait and see."

———————   

07:15 AM

Missed Calls
Jiae Unnie (8)

———————   

Sujeong wakes up to the voice of Jiae shouting both her and her girlfriend's names so loudly, accompanied by series of evenly loud bangs on the door, and persistent incoming call tones from her phone. It's like the older girl has been trying every possible annoying way to prevent them from having a much-needed sleep on weekend. She throws off their comforter aside and gets up to answer the door. Rolling across the bed, Yein growls demanding her warmth back, but Sujeong couldn't care less.

"Unnie, it's seven in the morning. What— Whoa!"

"Where's that damned freak girlfriend of yours?!" Jiae nearly shrieks, pushing Sujeong slightly as she's making her way down the entrance of her friends' flat and towards the bedroom. "Yah Jung Yein! Come out you friggin' flaky !"

"You— Why did you send my pic to stranger?!"

Yein is fully awake now, wearing an over-sized t-shirt and pretty much nothing else. She sits ever so calmly in bed with smug smile as Jiae charges forward, looking like she's about to throw the phone at her hand to Yein's face squarely.

"Mhm. How did it go? She replied?"

"She sent back half- pic!" Jiae is literally screaming now, shaking Yein violently by the shoulders, her whole face cherry red. "And it turned out she's someone from college! Jesus Christ what am I gonna do now!"

"Wow that's beyond my expectation." Yein burst out cackling. Oh how Jiae wishes no one else is present so right now she could beat some sense into this brat who knows no sense of decency.

"Lemme take a look."

Jiae immediately puts her phone back to her jeans pocket, once again hollering when Yein jumps at her and frantically tries to get the device with force. With Sujeong suddenly joins in, no way in hell Jiae could win this impromptu wrestling match against two giant demons.

"Yah!! Give it back, you two rude hell children!" Her aggresive protest falls to deaf ears, their gazes poised on the screen, mouths agape.

The first pic is of Jiae, lying inside a luxurious bathtub, abundant of transparent pink bubble slightly covering some parts of her body. It was taken by Yein and Mijoo in hotel room during their holiday to Canada last year, and all of them were wasted, sooooo much wasted to the point Jiae would unthinkingly agree to take such humiliating - flattering, her friends said back then - photograph. And last night while Jiae was out ordering for all the most expensive cakes in the menu, Yein had sent the very cursed photo to someone she chose randomly from her phonebook.

Below it, are few sentences of reply and selca of equally good looking woman. The said woman was standing by the bathroom vain, wearing sinfully sheer nightgown, her long dark hair tied up messily into loose bun with few wild strands falling to her face.

I don't know if there's a mistake and the pic was meant for somebody else entirely, but in all of honesty, that's some attractive features you got there.

I think I've seen you before, are you from Woollim as well? I'm on art department, the name's Jisoo. Wanna talk more? <3

"Holy ! She's so..." Sujeong is the first one to comment.

"Hot. I know." Jiae looks away, one hand covering her face in shame.

"I see you like this girl, eh?" Now Yein's laughing again. This has been a very amusing morning she can't even complain to be woken up so early on Saturday. "So what are you waiting for, unnie?? Go get her!"

"I don't even know what to explain to her, dimwit!"

"Well just tell her straight away you want to know her more." Yein says, all non-chalance. "If I remember correctly Seo Jisoo is the TA for my intro to fine art class, means she's probably also in her last year, same age as you. Not sure how did I end up having her number tho. She seemed nice, anyway."

"TA? She's a ing TA?" Jiae bemoans in frustration. "Jung Yein what else could you possibly do to ruin my entire life even more!"

"Isn't it good that she's TA? I mean, she can teach you things, if you know what I mean."

"Shut up! You two have been hanging around Mijoo and Soojung unnie way too much they have corrupted your minds with impropriety!" Jiae hisses in disbelief. This is disaster, all of her friends have been turning to satan one by one.

"Well I daresay you wouldn't say so later, once you've got laid. Look at those gorgeous, soft skin—"

Yein abruptly seals her lips when Jiae actually leaps at her, then opens it again only to let out crass laughter as the shorter girl attacking her with tickles. They both fall back to the bed, blanket and cover all kicked haphazardly, high volume screams cutting through the air....

Until there's a short ding! sound. They stop, two heads slowly turn to Sujeong, whose presence has been forgotten for awhile. The girl is typing something on Jiae's phone, satisfied grin on her lips.

Realizing she's been caught, Sujeong throws the phone down onto the bed, signaling her girlfriend to escape once Jiae manages to get her hand on the poor device.

Yes, will be very pleased to do so. Tbh I'm kinda wondering if you want to chat over dinner and then.. I don't know, having some hot showering session together? ;)

Sounds like a plan. Text me the place and time later, ok?

Sure. I'll let you know soon.

"YAH!! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU BOTH!"

“We’re just trying to help!”

———————