Blind Date

A New Anthology

Today's gonna be a great day.

Jisoo is sure of that. She checks her reflection on the window for the last time before making an entrance into popular themed cafe in the downtown. Her makeup is well-done, long hair falls beautifully into place, her outfit looks chic and flattering, everything's perfect. Today's gonna be perfect.

Since her last relationship ruined due to the other girl was apparently only after her money and physical appearance, Jisoo is determined to find new partner who would really love her for herself. But when you've been ranked number one in campus hottest girls list for two consecutive years, it would be kinda challenging to tell apart pretentious people from the ones who truly like you.

At first, signing up for an online dating website was just a suggestion from her sister Jisoo followed half-heartedly. Like, who actually take things like online dating seriously? But two months into it, she's now finding herself being so charmed by a girl nick-named 'juliet923'. The two had agreed to not rushing into anything serious right off the bat and keeping their options open. They also avoided exchanging selca or describing their looks in detail upon Jisoo's request, and so far their conversation have always been clicked well.

This juliet932 is fun to talk with, a caring person who's willing to hear out every single of Jisoo's midnight rant and often makes silly jokes to cheer her up. Jisoo herself doesn't mind to listen to the other girl's small stories about her daily life. It seems they mutually understand each other. Same age, similar preferences, nice personality, and as bonus, when asked which superhero you like the most?, she answered Ironman, because he resembles me right away; by the time Jisoo realized, she's already been head over heels for her online date. 

——————— 

There's brief moment of her heart beating a little frantically when Jisoo hears chiming bell, signaling someone just entered the cafe. She unawarely fixes her already straight hair and smoothing her shirt one more time before standing up - only for her excitement to turn into panic upon seeing Lee Mijoo, communication major student she shares few classes with. They rarely spoke to each other, but Jisoo recalls some of her friends are close with this girl.

"Seo Jisoo?" Look of recognition is on Mijoo's eyes as well. "What a coincidence to meet here. What are you doing?"

"Uh. I was just happened to be around here... And suddenly got thristy! So I came inside to get something fresh!" Her dignity subconsciously told her to hide the truth. "And you?"

"I'm on blind date!" Mijoo says cheerfully.

"Oh.." Jisoo nods slowly.

"Wait, what?!" She gasps, immediately scrolling through her iPad looking for the last message her partner had sent this morning.

I'm going to wear black top and jeans, and maybe sweater too..

"You are juliet923?!" Wide eyes move back and forth, from the device's screen to Mijoo who is, of course, wearing black sleeveless blouse and dark skinny jeans, with ivory sweater draped over her arm.

"You're js_stark?!" Apparently Mijoo is also gobsmacked. 

———————   

"Wow. I still can't believe this." Jisoo mumbles. It's been ten minutes, all the two have been doing is just staring at the menu that they don't actually read while occasionally exhanging glances. Recollection of mushy words and flirtations from the past two months rush back, and somehow Jisoo kinda hopes right now the floor would just give away then she could fall free to bottomless pit.

"Yeah this is kinda... Laughable." Mijoo nods, smiling in agreement. She drops the menu card onto their table and finally gets up. "By the way, you said you're thirsty, right? I'll go get something."

Besides beautiful interior and nice ambience, the cafe they're at is famous for its coffee. That's what most people order here, and that's what Jisoo expected to get - though she isn't really fan of caffeine.

So when Mijoo comes back setting down two chocolate smoothies in front of her, Jisoo looks up with both delight and surprised face. "How did you know I like chocolate?"

"You told me several times when we were chatting, duh..." The brunette answers matter-of-factly.

"... I didn't think you would remember such trivial things."

"Sure I do." She grins, easing herself down on the chair. "What kind of person would I be if I don't remember my date's favourites?"

They began to talk more comfortably over hot drinks for awhile, then eventually went out of the cafe to explore unique shops and cozy galleries in the neighborhood. Just like when they first met online, Mijoo makes falling in love with her so easy. She's straightforward type who never holds back to state her honest opinion - unlike others who usually would go along with Jisoo just to please her. She has great sense of humour and seems to never run out of interesting things to say; someone Jisoo thinks she would never be bored with.

And now that they are actually chatting face-to-face, it's very endearing to see her wide-mouthed, hearty laughter in real life instead of rows of cackling emoticons on chat application. Jisoo's also totally captivated on the way her eyes spark whenever they find something interesting, how warm and fluffy she looks with those wool button-up sweater, loosely hanging off one of her broad shoulder...

She is so huggable, her mind very unhelpfully supplies.

"You like it, right?"

"No! No!" Jisoo splutters, face bright red, until she realizes Mijoo was actually talking about something related to an artworks store right beside them. "Uh, I mean.. Sorry, what were you saying again?"

"You like fox, right?" Mijoo points at huge outline illustration of fox and crow engraved onto the building's glass wall, but the huge grin on her face definitely says I know you were staring.

"O-Oh.. Yeah, I like them. Let's take a look inside!" Without further ado Jisoo walks fast into the store, by now she can feel steam is gushing out of her ears.

Beside that one illustration in its entrance, the store itself actually has nothing to do with fox. The first floor serves as real shop which sells lots of local designers' products from framed prints, paintings, jewelry, even perfume diffusers; while on the second floor it's a small gallery currently exhibiting artworks with theme 'fable', hence the fox and crow in the front.

They wander around for awhile, admiring some cool illustrations and cute accessories. Jisoo gets herself few handmade scented candles, and Mijoo buys matching feather shaped keychains for both of them.

"First date's keepsake." She says brightly, handing one to the older girl before attaching the other into her own car key. It's not usual for Jisoo to receive simple present that can be bought with small money, yet this time, it makes her happy. So much happier than getting glamorous looking jewelry.

"By the way, do you know the story of this Fox and Crow?" Jisoo asks as the two stroll out of the store.

"No, never heard of it."

"It's one of Aesop's fable. The crow found piece of cheese and retired to a branch to eat it. Below the tree was a fox, he wanted the cheese for himself and flatters the crow, calling her pretty and wondering if she also has beautiful voice. When the crow cawed, her cheese fell and fox ate it."

There is a rather dull stare in her eyes as Jisoo tells the story. "It kinda reminds me of myself.."

"You like cheese so much and ever stolen it from someone?" Mijoo jokes, faking a surprised gasp, then rewarded with playful slaps on her arm.

"On the contrary, I'm the crow." Slowly, laughters fade, and autumn's wind begins to feel cold. "I indulged in flattery. Those people who were nice to me, in the end, I was just being used by them. How stupid..."

"Do you remember when we first met in class long before becoming online dates? We barely knew each other, but you let me borrow your notes..." Startling Jisoo, Mijoo abruptly stops walking. She leans a little closer, placing both hands on Jisoo's shoulders firmly, her expression thoughtful.

"You're sincerely kind with everyone, no matter who they are, I can totally see it. So shame on them who failed to see lots of good qualities in Seo Jisoo! You're more than just chaebol's daughter with pretty face."

"Don't ever think like that again, okay?" Mijoo ruffles Jisoo's jet black hair soothingly, looking wholly satisfied when her lips once again quirk into smile as she nods slowly.

They step into yet another street, ready to continue their trip - this time, to find a noodle shop which is notorious for serving amazing naengmyeon, and a hand suddenly reaches out to Jisoo.

"Want to hold hand?" Mijoo offers, and Jisoo nearly falls over with sheer joy.

"Yes!"

———————   

Those hands are still tightly held together until the two arrive on a big alley that will lead them to Jisoo's home. And the closer they get, the more Jisoo feels bereft.

"So... We're going to meet again, right?" Few steps from the gate of her house, she finally speaks.

"Yeah, of course! Actually we'll meet again very soon in less than twenty four hours..." Mijoo glances at her wrist watch." You're taking Professor Kim's Monday morning class, right?"

"N-not in that way!" Jisoo squeaks, fidgeting with her sleeve shyly. "You know... I want us to d-date..."

"Then let's start now."

Jisoo can feel her heart skips a beat, before it soars high when Mijoo softly presses her lips against her cheek. Politely, but still filled with affection. "If you're fine with me, I'd love to date seriously as well."

"It's late. I'll head home after watch you go inside." She says, gesturing towards the huge metal gate in front of them.

"Thanks for today, Mijoo. Good night." They exchange one final smiles, squeezing each other's hands before set them apart.

"Nite. Sleep well."

"Mijoo-yah!" Barely a moment upon stepping into her lawn, Jisoo turns around to Mijoo again as she remembers something. "I'm still wondering about one thing..."

"Hm?" The younger moves forward a little, brows lifted in curiousity.

"In which part you think you resemble Ironman?"

"Well... I'm cool, smart and y, am I not?" Mijoo answers without hesitation, winking for good measure, and Jisoo bursts out laughing.

"You're crazy!" 

——————— 

I haven't proofread this sorry for atrocious grammar (;___;) Thanks for reading!

By the way...

Isn’t. Mijoo. So. Huggable ?? (//∇//)

/runs/