Love

A New Anthology

A trip with her parents to one restaurant serving Korean pig trotters dish during her seventh birthday had totally brought Kim Jiyeon into a whole new world. Say goodbye to muffins, pudding, pie, hamburger, pizza, mac and cheese, french fries - jokbal is the most delicious food to ever exist on earth, small Jiyeon decided.

The dish piled high on the plate, glistening thick skin layered on top of meat, it gave rich, wonderful feels to Jiyeon's mouth at the first bite. The fat was juicy and melted down easily even without great amount of chewing or straining her little teeth too much. Also, the cooling lettuce and salty condiments added for delightful food experience she would never forget for the rest of her life. While eating jokbal, Jiyeon suddenly lost focus on whatever happened around and fully immersed on her meal.

Since then, Jiyeon's mission of visiting every jokbal places available throughout the land of South Korea begun. Good for her, her family love to travel every once in awhile and always let her tagging along, thus giving her more opportunities to satiate her cravings for jokbal from all around her country.

———————  

Ten birthdays later, Jiyeon had tried hundreds restaurants specializing in the pig trotters dish, from famous one to no brand jokbal, yet first love never dies - the one she loved the most was still Five Fairies Jokbal, that place in her hometown, Incheon, where she'd tasted and fell in love with jokbal for the first time. So when seventeen years old Jiyeon came back and heard the news that the restaurant had closed down for good, she was extremely upset. Heartbroken even.

Luckily, Jiyeon later found another place. Located just two blocks away from her current residence, it was a newly opened, small jokbal restaurant owned by two ahjussi called Doni and Coni. Of course, their food still couldn't beat Jiyeon's previous favourite, but out of all places she'd tried before, this one had the closest similarity to her first love jokbal's taste. Plus, it was just few minutes walk from the comfort of her home, so in no time, Jiyeon began visiting the restaurant regularly and became friendly with the owners, who turned out to be funny and even a little crazy guys.

———————  

"Irasshaimase~"

Jiyeon's brows knitted together, looking around her surrounding to make sure she didn't just enter a wrong restaurant.

"Oops I'm sorry, I mean welcome." Greeting her, was a blonde, lean girl which exactly looked like she just coming out of Barbie's world except for her Asian dark eyes.

"Please excuse her, she just arrived here less than three months!" Doni and Coni approached them quickly. "Lemme introduce you two! She's Hirai Momo, our new part time employee, came from Japan out of love for jokbal despite young age. Her dream is to be Korean food specialist chef."

"Yes! When it comes to jokbal, I am confident no one can defeat my heart!" The girl agreed, patting her own chest with proud. "I've swore I will be the first person to visit every restaurants in Korea while learning to become the best jokbal chef ever! That's my dream!"

Jiyeon froze. "What? No way, the first person who will visit all jokbal shops in this country is me." She chuckled, incredulous.

"Oh?" Momo retorted, expression sardonic. "Looks like I have a rival then."

"You're not even Korean." It was a little snarky though smile never left Jiyeon's face, and by this time, both Doni and Coni had exchanged terrified glance at each other, sensing the heated tension between two teenagers in front of them.

"So what? Have you never heard of love?" The blonde said, now completely sounding miffed.

"Isn't it easier if you learn to be sushi chef in Japan?"

Momo's eyes narrowed into dangerous slit. "Did you just tell me to go home and flush away my dream?"

"Uh. Girls. Look, the food is ready and it will be cold.." Doni tried to interject their conversation only to receive scary glares.

"Well I don't really mind you stay, it's a free country anyway." Jiyeon shrugged. "But one thing for sure, I'll still be the first person to visit all jokbal restaurants here."

"Challenge accepted, Korean! Let's see who will laugh at who in the end!"

———————  

"Why are you here?"

Jiyeon looked up from stack of cheerleading club registration forms in her hands to find same annoying blonde standing arms crossed in front of her. There was no doubt that this girl was one of the freshman intended to join.

"I should be the one who ask you that question. Don't tell me you're joining my club.."

"You're in cheerleading team too?" Momo let out a little whiny sigh. "Ugh I guess it's true that happens."

"Watch your mouth if you want to get into this team, Japanese." Jiyeon replied curtly. "Because I am the captain."

"Trust me you would want me in your squad."

Three days later during their try-out, Jiyeon found out where was that overly confident words came from. Lots of student, mostly boys from sport clubs were seen in the audience seats to watch Hirai Momo, it was like an idol just came to their school to perform. And not only because she was pretty, Jiyeon noticed, but also because Momo was indeed talented in cheerleading.

"Whoa it's chaotic here.." Jiyeon's sister - who were an alumni and also ex-captain of cheerleading team years before - unfolding a chair and took a seat beside her. "Had to struggle to pass through sea of male students over the entrance door. Is there any promising talent auditioning for the team?"

Jiyeon nodded, signaling to the new transfer student who was now effortlessly doing scorpion stunt, bending one of her leg upwards until her toe almost reached the back of her head.

"Wow she's great— Wait... She looks familiar." Jiyeon's sister leaned forward a bit from where she's sitting to get better look at Momo's face. "Is that the part time waitress in Doni Coni oppa's restaurant?"

"Nice, huh? She got cooking skill, pretty face, and amazing athletic ability."

Jiyeon's sister blinked, then chuckled.

"Unnieee, don't laugh! I know it's bad to envy someone.." Jiyeon pouted cutely.

"I don't think you envy her, to be honest." Her sister laughed even more. "The way you look at her, it's similar to those audience over there who have fallen for her charm, Jiyeon."

———————  

Time flew in a flash, now Jiyeon is college student, and Momo had attained permission to enter the kitchen as Doni and Coni's assistant while attending classes to get her diploma in culinary arts. Though still hasn't get official title as chef, the two owners are both approved of Momo's cooking skill.

When words spreaded around the entire school that Momo wouldn't go to college and pursuing her dream to be jokbal chef, it got everyone surprised, including Jiyeon. But unlike the others who thought it's ridiculous, Jiyeon actually admired the younger girl's determination to stick with her ambition instead of getting carried away by fame she got during her time as one of the best cheerleader in school. It's not unheard that few universities had showing interest and offering Momo scholarships, yet here she is, sweating as she chops pork meat in busy kitchen, oil-smeared apron hanging from her neck.

"It tastes good, amirite?"

Jiyeon's just finished the last piece of pig trotter left on her plate and is sipping warm tea when from the rim of her glass she catches smug smile of the chef-to-be. She looks even prettier now with her hair dyed chestnut brown.

Jiyeon snorts, internally denying both facts - that the food is good and Momo looks good. "Still will never surpass the first jokbal I ate when I was in my hometown."

Momo frowns in confusion as Jiyeon gets up and leaves.

———————  

"Where's her hometown? Do you know about which restaurant she's talked about?" Everyone is busy cleaning when Momo approaches one of her boss.

"Incheon, and it has closed down, that jokbal place." Coni doesn't stop counting some bills from the cashier machine, but there's flash of sheer eagerness on his eyes and Momo is sure as hell it’s not because of the amount of profit they managed to earn today.

"Hm." She nods, feigning indifference.

"I know the owner of that place personally. If I ask him, he might be willing to teach you the secret of his five spice jokbal.."

"Hmm."

"You know that soon Jiyeon birthday's coming up rite?"

On the next moment, Coni writes down an address, laughter roaring while defeated Momo waits beside him with face slightly red.

———————  

"Here's set of jokbal and bossam for our valued loyal customer!" Huge tray of pig trotters dishes appear as soon as Jiyeon is down on her usual table, before she order anything. Doni and Coni shoot wide grins, already know what day it is after years of their business relationship. They even put two candles of '23' on small plate beside the meals. "It's on us today because it's your special day! Happy birthday!"

But the thing Jiyeon catches first, is the absence of chestnut haired head that usually would always tailing them right after.

"Where's that Japanese?"

"Aish. Not even a simple thank you for us." The old men frown. "She's out of town for a week. And she has a name! Momo, it is. How would you two go on a date if you keep calling each other by nationalities!"

"What?! I... I don't even like her!"

"Yeah, yeah, like we would believe you." Doni mutters, waving his big hand dismissively. "She's going to... Incheon, if I'm not wrong."

Incheon?

Mysterious smiles twinkle across Doni and Coni's face as they go back to the kitchen, as though preventing Jiyeon from asking any further. "Enjoy your meal anyway, kiddo!"

———————  

"What are you doing?"

It's almost midnight on her birthday, and Momo is in front of her door with suspicious big food container, breathing loud and fast as though she just ran a good 700m from subway station to the house. Jiyeon rubs her eyes, blinking few times, assuring herself that she's seeing real thing and not hallucinating or worse, encountering ghost.

"Here!"

".... The heck is this?" Jiyeon accepts the huge box shoved at her and dubiously opens the pink lid a little to pry into it. Strong aroma of jokbal wafts through the air immediately.

"It's still 11:30, I'm not late yet! Hurry eat before it gets even colder."

Jiyeon's delicate fingers slowly wrap the piece of meat with lettuce, dipping it into the sauce before bring it into . Once she starts chewing the food, oh this is it; the glossy, caramelized-looking skin, thoroughly cooked, soft meat under it, distinctive earthy scent, this the taste she's missed so much.

"So you went to Incheon..."

"To meet the owner of Five Fairies Jokbal in your hometown, yes. I asked him to teach me. He was reluctant at first, but I convinced him." Momo fiddles with the edge of her jacket sleeves, pondering between whether she should say what she wants to say or not.

"Happy birthday. Ji.. Jiyeon."

"My bosses said, if I want to date you I should learn to call your name properly." Momo continues. Trying her best not to stutter, she fails at noticing how Jiyeon is blushing equally as heavy as herself.

"Haha. Those ahjussi said the same to me.." Jiyeon's voice gets even smaller to the point it sounds more like whisper as she calls, "Momo-chan." Yet that words rings loud enough inside Momo's head, causing huge joy rising in her chest.

They stay in comfortable silence for a moment, until the two begin speaking at the same time.

"I've been think—"

"Actually I figured—"

"Sorry, please go first." Momo splutters, heat creeping up her cheeks even more than it's already been before.

"Nah, you first." Jiyeon gestures for her to go on, so the taller girl starts again.

"I figured, rather than competing who can visit all jokbal restaurants all over Korea first, it would be better if we go together. Don't you think so?"

"Wow, that's honestly what I want to suggest too!" Jiyeon beams. "We should do it soon. Jokbal date!"

"Sure. ‘First couple who visit all jokbal restaurants’.. That sounds cool."

Smile tugs at the corner of her lips, Jiyeon's free hand seeks out for Momo's.

———————  

By the end of alley of Jiyeon's house, three heads peeking from clump of green bushes, two giddy looking men with binoculars and one women sighing exasperatedly.

"I can't believe I got kicked out of my own house just for those two to have dinner." Jiyeon sister's mutters, grimace on her face.

"You're always welcomed to stay in my place for a night. My daughters love you a lot." Doni offers sincerely, and it's true, the twin would always talk endlessly about the pretty woman after they attended her Korean traditional dance class.

"I hope they don't go overboard with my absence from home."

"Don't woooorry, our employee is a polite and kind girl..." But catching the faraway sight of Jiyeon giving quick peck on Momo's lips effectively silence them. Jiyeon's sister squinted before her eyes turning to side glare - what did I just say? - directed to the old men, who then just grin nonchalantly.

"Ah, that's very sweet. Young lovers..."

———————  

Ayyy happy birthday our jokbal advertiser Kei ♡ 

This is the first time I wrote about Momo, sorry if you find something's strange