November 19

A New Anthology

Sujeong hates November 19. It's a special day where she was born twenty years ago, also the day where Jiyeon got together with her recent boyfriend three years ago. Both events fall on a very same day is probably the way gods play with her life; while Sujeong is supposed to happily blow candles and make some hopeful wishes, the one she hopes the most to be by her side is somewhere else, having anniversary date with another person.

Moreover, they live next to each other, and have been so for over a decade. Which means throughout the year, occasionally witnessing ups and downs of Jiyeon's relationship - from goodnight kiss she accidentally saw on her way to convenience store nearby, to arguing voices she unintentionally heard coming from open window - is something inevitable for Sujeong. So why bother asking Jiyeon to celebrate her day together when it's clear the older girl doesn't care at all, it will only add more pain to her already battered heart. That's why since weeks ago Sujeong had asked her friends to pretend there's nothing special today and ignore her.

("It's okay, birthday party doesn't matter anymore. Last year all I did during the time people brought out cake and sang Happy Birthday was just sitting like dumb trying to figure out what to do so I won't mess up with my life even more this year..")

———————  

"Why did I have to be born on this day?" It's stupid question, and though she does sympathize with her best friend, Yein has long since stopped trying to respond to Sujeong's endless lamentations.

"Do you think if I were a handsome prince charming she would like me?"

Yein gives her a look. God. Is there really no end to this non-sense...

"First of all, handsome prince charming doesn't exist, all men are wolves!" The blonde says grouchily. "Look. Nothing's gonna change no matter how much you complain!" She continues speaking up before Sujeong has a chance to say what's on her mind - which is probably just another that's-why-she-should've-chose-me-instead-that-wolf rant.

"You're right." Sujeong huffs, her broad shoulders visibly sagging in defeat. "I just don't know what else to do."

"Well. Either learn to accept it—" Without realizing, their professor has arrived and the whole class shut their mouth. "Or try harder. Prove that you're the best for her." Yein whispers for last time before drowning herself into English literature.

——————— 

It isn't her imagination.

Jiyeon is there, standing in front of her house's gate. Most likely waiting for her. The scene reminds Sujeong of the old days, where small Jiyeon would also be waiting there, asking her to go out and play everyday. Only this time, she doesn't wear a bright smile she always had back then.

"Jiyeon unnie? What's up?" After a beat of surprised silence, Sujeong quickly crosses the empty street towards in few long strides.

"Come on in, it's cold here.."

"No, I'm just here to give you this." Jiyeon hands something when Sujeong is about to open her door. "Sorry I didn't wrap it nicely. Happy birthday."

It's a snapback, new model with simple pattern, the white colour will match well with all her pink outfits. It's super cool, something Sujeong would totally get herself if only she isn't too broke.

And it's not intended to be given to her in first place, Sujeong knows.

"Are you okay? What's wrong with you and him?"

"We're over.." She answers simply, and if Sujeong doesn't pay close attention, she would definitely miss Jiyeon just blinked some tears away. "But I'm fine, don't worry about me."

"I'll get going now. See you later." Jiyeon has turned around and took few steps away when suddenly, she is pulled into tight hug from behind.

"What are you doing?" A little surprised, Jiyeon automatically wriggles, trying to extricate herself from Sujeong. "Let go.."

"No I'm not going to let you go anymore! Not if it means I'll have to see you with heart broken and crying like this again in future!"

It surely gets Jiyeon taken aback, because momentarily she stops resisting and remains motionless. Sujeong's breath warm against the skin on the crook of her neck.

"Jiyeon unnie, be my girlfriend, please—" When Sujeong finally chokes out the words she's been holding in for years, Jiyeon flails out of her grasp, elbow accidentally strikes her face hard during the process and sends her to the ground.

"I'm sorry.." Jiyeon whispers weakly, doesn't even look at Sujeong before runs to her own home.

———————  

"Where have you been, you dolt?! Class is already— Oh my god Sujeong what happened to your face?!" Sujeong twitches because the last sentence comes out as frantic screech and Yein's voice is three times louder than normal.

"Birthday present." Sujeong chuckles sarcastically, softly rubbing small bruise on the corner of her lips. "Now if you would be kind enough to lend me your notebook I'll be really thankful."

The two head towards the cafetaria, where they can sit down and grab a bite while Sujeong copies her notes from previous class. Older Soojung is already occupying one of the table when they arrive, looking as shocked as Yein when she first saw Sujeong today, hand stops midway to and noodles on her chopstick fall unheeded back to the plate.

The small girl seems hesitant momentarily, but she finally asks anyway, "Is this about Jiyeon and her boyfriend? Did you get involved between their fight?"

"How did you know?" It's Yein who blinks in confusion. Sujeong has a massive unrequited love with Jiyeon is no secret, but Lee Soojung isn't someone who usually up to date with latest gossips of who starts dating who or who fights with who.

"Uh. I saw the two earlier." Soojung says. "Couldn't hear what they were talking about, but I guess they reconciled from a fight or something like that? They were hugging in tears and smiling—"

Sujeong's heart sinks.

This is it. Kim Jiyeon her first love and Kim Jiyeon her childhood friend have both gone.

Everything has gone.

———————

So when later in the evening her phone buzzes with KaTalk notification and Jiyeon unnie on the screen, Sujeong almost can't believe it.

I want to talk, can I come over there or would you prefer to meet outside? The message says.

Sujeong replies with the latter option after a moment of careful thought. If this is going to be another sort of talk to make clear that Jiyeon is disgusted with her and their friendship have been totally over, Sujeong would rather not have it in her very own home and gaining attention from her whole family - who have been friendly with Jiyeon's all this time.

They sit facing each other in secluded part of Burger King few blocks away from their home an hour later. Both have ordered sets of whopper but none of them actually has appetite, so the burgers left untouched and for the first couple of minutes, there's only sound of them sipping their respective soft drinks.

"I'm sorry about yesterday. Is your face okay?" Jiyeon decides to start and she sounds awfully guilty. Small hand reaches out from the other side of the table, carefully touching the injured skin,.

"It's alright." Sujeong forces a thin smile, playing with drinking straws to calm herself. "And I'm sorry about yesterday as well. Just— Just forget what I said..." She in a deep breath, willing her voice not to crack.

"I'm perfectly okay that you don't want to be my friend anymore, though it's inescapable for us to meet from time to time, so let’s try avoiding unnecessary conversation. I hope from now on he will take better care of you..." Sujeong is practically rambling now, and Jiyeon has to lean forward and hold Sujeong's hand to stop the girl from abusing her poor straw.

"Sujeong, I'm not coming back to him anymore. We've 100% broken up." She states firmly. Sujeong freezes in spot, stunned from both what Jiyeon said and did.

"But.. Soojung unnie saw you two earlier. I thought he was trying to patch things up, no?"

"He did want to start over, but no..." Jiyeon shakes her head. "I don't think I can go back to him, especially when I've also been lying all this time."

“... I don’t get it, unnie.”

"Do you remember the time when I just moved to our elementary school and got chickenpox? No one wanted to be near me, even after I got healed. It was the saddest moment in my life, I think. But there was this someone.. Someone who wasn't afraid to hold my hand and play with me. This person is my first close friend ever. She was a little bit brash, and sometimes a crybaby, but overall this person was cool and very kind to me and you know what? I like her."

Sujeong listens to Jiyeon's story with unblinking eyes. Is that person...

"As I grew up, the feeling didn't disappear no matter how much I read about romances and see my sisters getting boyfriends one by one. So I was scared. Veeeery scared. Everyone kept telling me I would meet my prince one day, but all I wanted is a princess named Ryu Sujeong." Jiyeon pauses, blushing slightly. "All this time I was pretty much convinced that I'd changed and completely gotten over you. Until yesterday happened."

“You see.. I, too, don’t want to let you go anymore, Sujeong.”

Sujeong has no word to describe the incredible sensation whirling through her now. "So you decide this— Decide to be with me?" She asks, a bit nervous and frightened and basically not believing all of this is true.

But it's true. Jiyeon is smiling at her, intertwining their fingers. She doesn’t vanish no matter how many times Sujeong close and open her eyes.

And it's enough of an answer for her question.

———————  

When Jiyeon says she has a surprise, she really does surprise Sujeong. Because three days post her birthday, after being led around for almost half an hour blindfolded, she finds herself in her girlfriends's living room, which has been decorated all pink for the most extravagant belated birthday bash.

There's an abundance of Jiae's homemade food that surely make everyone’s mouths water, and strawberry-vanilla cake with twenty little candles around it, and six of her best friends singing Happy Birthday loudly, and Jiyeon— Sujeong almost can't breath due to amount of joy bubbling up inside her chest as Jiyeon comes into her vision. Kim Jiyeon, in the flesh, at her birthday party. Planting a kiss to her cheek and saying I love you to her.

Life's never felt so perfect for Sujeong, knowing that from this year onwards, she will never have to celebrate her day without Jiyeon anymore.

——————— 

a day late oops >__> thank you for reading!