Indelible 11-Digit Number

A New Anthology

Upon entering the condo where Jisoo just moved in a week ago, Mijoo and Yein are totally astonished by how huge and luxurious it is. They walk past a set of expensive looking leather sofas and large center table following their host towards the elevator, eyes still gleaming at every corner of the stylish lobby until the door shut before them.

“Whoa you’re really loaded, eh? This is place is super awesome!”

“Nah.. I’m just lucky to be promoted and this new position happens to provide housing benefit.” Jisoo humbly replies to Mijoo’s remark. They exit the elevator when it reaches the fifteenth floor, turning into rather wide corridor with rows of wooden doors on both sides.

“Welcome to my new home...”

“Wait! Let me guess your passcode!” Mijoo suddenly exclaims. She makes her way to the locked door, passing two plastic bags containing their dinner she’s been holding to Yein before pressing some numbers on a keypad mounted above the handle. “Heol... It’s not 12345678?”

“Do you think I’m you?!” Jisoo snorts, her expression scrunches up with exasperation.

“Try 19940211!” Mijoo enters those numbers suggested by the blond, but Jisoo’s door still doesn’t budge. The oldest girl impatiently shoves her and Yein away.

“You’re both wrong! Move!”

“What is 2.. 014.. 1112?” Yein probes, confused eyes following as Jisoo inputs the correct code.

“Uh.. Dunno. I’ve been using those numbers for my passwords everywhere since long time ago but I can’t remember where’s that coming from.” Jisoo shrugs, completely oblivious that she just revealed her password to two persons who have reputation as worst prankster in their circle of friends. Good thing is, this time, neither of them have any harmful idea crossing their minds and both just look at Jisoo with curiousity still persists on their faces.

“I think I’ve seen that number somewhere..”

“Can we just eat now? I’m starving.” Jisoo interrupts before her friends manage to bombard with more questions. She ushers them to the dining room adjacent to the kitchen.  

The two guests plop themselves into comfortable chairs while Jisoo setting some dinnerware down the table. Anything about passcode all forgotten as they start eagerly devouring samseon jjajangmyeon, only pause occasionally to comment at how delicious the food is or stealing dishes from each other’s plates.

You’ve got a message, sir! Voice of JARVIS Jisoo had cut from some Iron Man video and set as ringtone startles them all.

“Is it that Jiae again?” Mijoo asks, doesn’t even bother to hide the fact that she’s been craning her neck, peeking on personal message directed to her friend. “Are you two an item now?”

“No! She just invited me to watch movie, which I’m about to decline because I already saw Suicide Squad!” Jisoo denies right away, though she knows it wouldn’t deter Mijoo from teasing.

“Who’s Jiae?” Much to her dismay, Yein’s also showing some interests.

“My colleague.” Jisoo answers as quick and short as possible.

“Who will be girlfriend soon!” Mijoo amends, waggling her brows, then a second later the slightly older girl’s palm lands on her head.

“Yah! I’ve told you hundred times I don’t feel that way about her! To me she’s more like.. She’s someone I’d prefer to have as sister or best friend!”

“Reeeeeally? What a shame!” Mijoo frowns, but then smiles evilly again in a span of just three seconds. “Wait! There’s another one! That secretary, who was her name again.. Kim Jiyeon! What about her do you like her?”

“I’m starting to wonder if Jisoo unnie actually have a secret fanclub in her workplace..” Yein says, grinning at once.

“You two match well! She’s feminine, just as your type, cute, has a great style, seems very caring..” Mijoo goes on elaborating. “Oh also remember that lunch she packed for you the other day! What else could you possibly need? She’s perfect!”

“She did that?! Wow this girl must be so into you!” Enthusiastic is a word that’s best to describe the look on Yein’s eyes. And now Jisoo is seriously confused by how these two look more excited than herself when they find potential lover for her.

“Y’know.. I was nearby Jisoo’s office by chance that day, so I decided to drop by thinking maybe we could get lunch together. But when I reached her room, that Jiyeon had already beaten me! Uhm..” Mijoo clears before launches into a horrible impersonation of Kim Jiyeon’s full of aegyo voice.  

Sunbae-nim, you shouldn’t skip meal or eat instant ramyun all the time! I brought you healthy lunch, made with love.. Ouch ouch cut it out!” She splutters as she’s dragged down in a headlock.

You cut it out, you dork!” Jisoo’s face is a combination of angry and blushing mess now. “Seriously, can we just drop this kind of conversation already?! I’m fine, I’ll date once the right person comes around!”  

While she knows they are just genuinely worried about their painfully-single-for-the-last-three-years best friend, Jisoo still feels uneasy that people keep meddling with her romance life. So what if she’s only ever been in relationship once in her life? Is it really that bad if she doesn’t want to move on yet?

“Yeah, I’m sorry. I won’t force you into anything anymore. It’s just we felt bad everytime we were on double date and had to leave you alone.” Mijoo suddenly says, patting Jisoo’s shoulder lightly. “Just do whatever your heart tells you to..”

“We will be happy if you’re happy as well, unnie.” Yein adds. Taking in their thoughtful expression, there’s fondness and gratitude rushing inside Jisoo. She nearly felt guilty for raising her voice a bit earlier...

... until they start again.

Jisoo sunbae-nim, I love you~

“... I’m ing telling Myungeun and Soojung unnie last weekend there were these douches went to party, got wasted, and I was the one who had to drag their drunk asses out of nightclub!”

Mijoo and Yein have never shut their mouth faster.

———————

“Oh...”

Mijoo and Yein are on their way home, and Yein’s steps suddenly halt just before they reach subway station’s entrance.

“What is it?” The older peers.

“I’ve been curious about Jisoo unnie’s passcode.. It’s definitely not birthdate of someone we know, so I thought it’s probably a phone number.” Yein gives her cellphone to Mijoo.

“Guess now we know why she persistently refuse to date anyone else all this time...”      

On the screen is contact number of someone they used to be very familiar with during college days.  

Ryu Sujeong - 010 2014 1112

———————

Three years ago, Jisoo and Sujeong decided to break up after a fight - over summer holiday destination of all things, thinking that a mountain hiker and someone who hates outdoor activity so much weren’t good match for each other. Back then, they were young - and just as most young love is, they were reckless and foolish.

It was lie that she didn’t know where was her passcode number from. Jisoo sits down her king sized bed, thumb hesitantly hovering over phone screen; over eleven digits she can never forget, wondering if she presses the call button, will that loud energetic voice she likes so much greet her on the other end of line? Is Sujeong still the same bright and all smiley and sometimes little cheeky girl who used to be hers once? Does she still live in that same house as before? Is she as regretful as herself that they didn’t try harder for the sake of their love?

Does Sujeong miss her just as herself never actually stop thinking about Sujeong?

There’s only one way to know the answer. It’s been three years, and just like Mijoo said, this time she should follow what her heart tells her to do.

———————

“Hello? Sujeong-ah.. It’s Jisoo. Seo Jisoo.”

“Yeah, it’s been really long. How are you?” Anxiety slowly leaves Jisoo. Now there’s only smile on her face, the one that grows wider and wider and then turns into laughter as they catch up on each other’s lives. “Do you want to meet? Yes, it’s fine for me.. Where? Ooh I remember! Yeah that place still exists! And you know what, they still have that special power breakfast combo you used to love!”

“Alright, see you this morning then. Good night.” Every part of Jisoo leap with joy as she hangs up, really cannot wait for the new day to come.