World Kissing Day

A New Anthology

Series of knocks on her door wakes Soojung up from her sound sleep. The leader groans, hand reaching out to find the clock atop her nightstand. It says half past eight and she whines even more. Who the wakes up at eight after long night spent filming in the outskirts area hours away from the city? Absolutely not me, she rolls over, pulling her thick blanket up to her chin.

But the noise doesn't stop no matter how she tries turning deaf ears, and pride as a responsible leader keeps tugging her mind. Maybe one of her member urgently needs something, maybe Myungeun is sick again, or maybe Mijoo had woke up finding herself with alien horns and additional pair of hands.. At last Soojung climbs down the bed, dragging herself with eyes still half closed and brain only partially functioned towards her door, twisting its handle, and...

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...!" Jiyeon's puckering lips welcomes her as soon as the door’s swinging open. Gone all the sleepiness from before, Soojung jumps away in surprise. "Why are you.. What are you doing?!!"

Everytime she moves one step ahead, Soojung takes long strides backward, and Jiyeon almost wants to laugh at such cute gesture. "Unnie do you know what day is today?" The flower of Lovelyz grins brightly.

Realization hits as she turns her head to the calendar hanging on the room's wall.

"Ah..." Right, today's July 7. Today, she's getting another year older.

"But you don't need to give birthday kiss or whatever cheesy gift ideas you're thinking of now!" She holds up both hands, preventing Jiyeon to move more into her personal bubble. "Really, I'm fine with just a happy birthday, okay?"

"No! I meant to say that today is also International Kissing Day! What an awesome coincidence, right?!"

"What international day?" Soojung cries incredulously.

"Kissing day! Today, everyone in the whole world share kisses with people that mean the most for them. Not for mere romantic purpose, but also to show how much we love and appreciate their existences in our life!" Jiyeon says, hands flapping in excitement as she recites the sentences from internet article she'd read last night. "For me, that VVIP I really want to kiss is you!"

"M.. Me?" Soojung stutters, her whole face's flustered bright red.

"Of course! You're cool, raps and sings well, you have charisma.. But most importantly, you really work hard and take care of us first before yourself all the time. We're truly lucky to have you as our leader, Soul unnie!"

"Noo Jiyeon, you're exaggerating, I'm not that good!" By now Soojung is sure there's cloud coming out of her ears from Jiyeon's candid compliments.

"I'm not, all seven of us think so! You're our cutest, coolest, most precious leader and we love you so much!" Jiyeon insists. "Actually it saddens me that unnie is so much against skinship between us.. Sometimes I even think that, maybe, you don’t feel same way.." In just a split second her face turns crestfallen, and Soojung is instantly horrified at the sight of upset Flower Kei.

"It's not true! I love everyone the same!" The leader frantically corrects the misunderstanding.

"Then why don’t give me a kiss and say that you love me?" Jiyeon leans over towards Soojung, finger pointing at her cheek. "Come on, it's just once a year!" She chirps in her honey sweet voice, effortlessly being sooo adorable, and it’s been a legend that no one can ever win against Jiyeon's aegyo attack. Not even Soojung.

"Fine! I will do it!" Soojung decides with sheer determination.

"I love you, Jiyeon!" Trembling hands clutch at Jiyeon's shoulders, bringing the slightly taller girl close to her. Their eyes automatically droop shut as Soojung's lips touch Jiyeon's cheek, and the younger girl squeals aww! happily.

"Thank you Soul unnie!" She replies with a quick peck placed on Soojung's forehead. "I gotta get your cake from the kitchen! Next member, please proceed!" Jiyeon moves to the side to give way, and Soojung's eyes bug out in horror as she finally realizes there's six other girls queueing by her door.

"Wait, wait! You girls are all going to do it?!"

"Of course, unnie! We all love you as much as Jiyeon unnie does!" Little Sujeong is number one in the queue now, looks so eager to leap from her spot and pounce on the leader.

"You're not going to say no to one of us, are you?” Mijoo shouts from the end of line, waggling her brows mischievously. “We heard you said I love eee~veryone the same!"

"See.. I was right about we have to send Jiyeon first, nobody could resist Kim Kei's charm!" Jiae says half-whisper to Mijoo, they both snicker and now Soojung can already guess who were the initiator behind this ridiculous idea. Should’ve not let these two getting too close together...

But that annoyed look on Soojung's face gradually replaced by fondness as she looks up at her members now flaunting some banners, each said Happy, Birthday, and Baby Soul!. Jiyeon had came back carrying her birthday cake. Everyone's smiling sincerely despite tired and baggy eyes, they probably didn't even sleep much preparing all of this for her. Warm and pleasant feelings run through her, and one thing finally clicks.

This is love.

Yein, Sujeong, Myungeun, the three youngest, unlimited source of energy for the group; Jisoo, one of the most kind-hearted person she's ever known; Jiyeon whom she subconsciously missed so much during the time she's away from Lovelyz due to solo activities; Mijoo and Jiae, who are always by her side providing best, never-ending supports.

Eight of them are in love with each others. And even if no one's perfect, they are perfect because they are together.

"Alright! Come here, all of you!" She calls out, pair of dimples appear along with wide smile on her face. Arms opening wide, Soojung is ready to give free hugs and kisses to her seven Very Very Important People.

———————

3 more days before Soul Day \(^_^)/

And by they way.. It’s real - July 6 is also World Kissing Day!

Go kiss your beloved ones! ( ^3^ )