Chapter thirteen

Sinner or Saint

Rin was attatched to some sort of cross with his flames surrounding him. The exorcists around him were chanting some sort of verse I'd never heard before.
Suddenly Rin screamed out in pain. He was completely given over to his demon half but he'd never looked weaker.
'Oh my God! He's bleeding' I whispered in horror and hid my face in Shima's shirt. We'd come to save him but there was nothing we could do, there was no way the five of us could go against them all. Shima was right, it was hopeless.
...
Rin screamed again and this time blood splattered from his mouth onto the ground where a summoning circle had been drawn.
'They're using his blood to summon the Gehenna Gate...this is what was meant when they said they were going to use him as a weapon'
More blood splashed onto the ground.
'Pope Ergin please stop this!' I shouted 'you're going to kill him!'
'That's the point my dear' he replied.
'This wasn't part of the plan' Yukio appeared behind him pointing a gun to his head 'you didn't tell me you were going to kill Rin. I would never have agreed otherwise'
'That's why I didn't tell you, I needed your full co operation. But don't you see? Rin will die as a martyr for Assiah. The sin of him being a demon will be absolved, He'll be saved'
'Take me instead' said Yukio 'if you need someone then use me, just please...don't hurt my brother anymore'
'Yukisan no don't! he'd always told me that he didn't have any demon blood inside him. Was it all a lie? or was he playing some sort of game to save Rin?
'Interesting...very well...release Rin Okumura! we have a volenteer instead'
They cut Rin down and he dropped to the floor in a heap.
Sugro ran over and lifted him up. I wanted to cry, he looked as though he might already be dead, What if we were too late?

Yukio stood in the middle of the circle and sliced his own wrist. Blood spurted out and merged with Rin's
Then the ground began to shake and a hole appeared in the middle of the floor.
'The blood of the two makes it even more powerful, Excellent' smirked the pope 'prepare the messiah!' he shouted.
I ran over to Yukio.
'Yukisan, are you alright?' he didn't answer 'Y-Yukisan? and then I saw them...blue flames...oh no Yukio
I backed away and he turned to face me, the Gehenna Gate fully opened behind him
Then I remembered, when I'd hugged Rin in this state he had returned to normal. Maybe the same would work for Yukio, it was worth a shot.
'Ayumi don't! shouted Kamiki but I ignored her and wrapped my arms around Yukio.
'It's okay Yukisan' I whispered 'I'm here, everything's gonna be okay'
He looked...surprised that the flames didn't harm me. I smiled but then he smiled in a way that scared me.
'Finally after waiting so long, a body that's strong enough to host me again, although I thought it would be the other one...oh well' he looked at me 'and as for you, I haven't met someone able to resist my flames since...her'
'Don't you dare talk about her' Yukio spoke with his own voice 'you're the reason she's dead'
'That wasn't me. If you want the truth then I'll show you, it was that man, the one that you all put so much trust in. He is the real reason your mother is dead'

Just then I heard Rin stir.
'Y-Yukio...what the hell are you doing?!'
Yukio didn't even acknowlege Rin, he seemed in some sort of trance. I touched his shoulder.
'Is it true?' he said to Ergin 'did you sentance our mother to death? your own daughter?'
'She stopped being my daughter the day she let that thing inside her!' he yelled 'she's better off dead!'
'DON'T YOU DARE!' Yukio shouted 'DON'T YOU DARE SPEAK ABOUT HER IN THAT WAY! YOU'RE THE ONLY MONSTER HERE!!' he pushed Ergin into the gate.
'No, Yukio...help...me...please...' it swallowed him up.
But Yukio still didn't return to normal.