Chapter one

Sinner or Saint

I had grown up with stories of demons and those that protect us from them. Heros defeating the darkest of beings and ridding the world of evil.
But that's all the were, just stories. Tales designed to scare children into doing as they were told.
Right?
Wrong. They were in fact all true and I believed every one of them. Had you fooled for a second then didn't I? But I had really grown up with these stories. Probably because my mother owned a store that supplied everythiong an Exorcist needed. Yes you heard me correctly.
Allow me to explain.
My name is Ayumi and I attend The Cram School which is an academy that trains aspiring Exorcists and prepares them for battle with the fiercest monsters our world has to offer.
Although, not all demons are evil. Some want to do good.
Rin Okumura was one such demon and my best friend. The son of Satan himself had sworn to rid the world of its monsters. Of course in the beginning we had no idea who or what he was, he was just as keen as the rest of us.
Not that that mattered. It didn't matter where a person came from only what they did now and Rin was doing his best...

'Umichan! You coming?' Rin called from the doorway.
'Coming where?' I asked confused.
'Class is over, time to go' I looked around, myself and Rin were the only ones left in the classroom. I got up and gathered my things.
'Daydreaming again?'
'Huh? Oh no, I just wasn't paying attention' I blushed
'Can't say I blame you' he said 'normal classes kinda in comparision to what we do afterwards huh?'
'Uh huh' I looked away
'Ayumi, what's wrong? tell me please'
I turned to him and smilled 'it's nothing really'
As we were walking, it felt like the ground began to move beneath us and a huge sticky mess rose above us and eyes pooped up all over it and all focused on us.
'Can I not go one day without something wanting to kill me or drag me to hell?' Rin sighed 'they really need to up the security on this place'
'Rin, what do you mean?' I asked 
'Ayumi, you should go. I don't want what I'm about to do shadow your view on me'
'Nothing you do will make me care about you any less' I replied.
'Will you please just...' he couldn't finish his sentance because the creature grabbed him around the ankle and lifted him off of the ground. I screamed and ran for it.
...
I was a coward, Rin was in trouble and I had just left him. I turned back and hurried to help him.
And was totally unprepared for what I saw, but what was I seeing exactly?
I saw my closest friend, the one I'd grown up with, I knew it was him but he looked different and he was covered with...Oh God...
I felt as though Iw as going to be sick, either that or I was going to...

'Umichan, wake up please'
I opened my eyes to see Rin looking worried at me.
'Get away from me you monster! How could you even think of coming here?!' I yelled.
Rin blinked 'what are you talking about?'
'Don't play dumb, I saw you! I saw how you defeated that..that thing! DEMON!' I shouted 'LEAVE ME ALONE!'
'Umi calm down. Think about what you just said, I defeated it. Does that not prove that I'm not like the others?' he touched my arm but I pulled away.
'Don't touch me! I'll kill you myself!' I struck out but he dodged it with ease and carried on talking.
'You've known me since we were kids. DO you really think that I'm capable of being like the evil we fight?'
I paused 'but but...the flames...Satan's flames...how...?'
'I'm not full demon. I can control it...sort of...and I want to use it to defeat all the others. You know me better than anyone, you know I would never do anything to hurt anyone'
I dropped to my knees in front of him 'I'm sorry' I sniffled 'I'm so sorry' I hid my face
Rin kneeled infront of me and hugged me 'you don't need to be sorry, you did what anyone would have

So that's how I found out about him and to be honest I couldn't be prouder to call him my best friend. Not only was he fighting what he was, but what everyone else would expect him to be too. He was so strong.
I wished I could be the same.
I wondered what everyone else would think if they found out about him and then shivered.
There was no way they would accept him as easily as I did...if at all.
I made a vow to myself to protect him no matter what.