Chapter twelve

Sinner or Saint

'What? What do you mean you're the new Paladin?' asked Rin, his eyes wide
'I mean exactly what I just said' Yukio replied 'I have been appointed the position of Paladin by Pope Ergin to carry on fathers work'
'Huh, you beat me to it' Rin smiled 'well done little brother' Yukio smiled back.
'Why didn't you tell us Yuki?' I asked.
;I'm sorry, it all happened so fast I lost track of time' he said 'forgive me?'
'Of course!' I said hugging him 'I'm so proud of you' I whispered 'we all are'
'Thank you Umi' he said 'but now I have to get going'
'Already?' asked Rin 'but you only just got here'
'I'm sorry, I have a meeting to go to, I shouldn't be long'
'Knock 'em dead bro' Rin smiled and hugged him.
'Good luck Yukisan' I called as he walked away.
But why dod I have a bad feeling about this whole thing?
...
'That's crazy Yukio, you can't get rid of every demon' Rin and Yukio were srguing in the hallway of their dorm.
'It's my job Rin, it's what exorcists do'
'Well that would mean getting rid of Blackie too and Kamiki's familiars' he paused 'you'd have to get rid of me'
Yukio looked him stright in the eye 'if you get in my way, then yes Rin, even you'
I gasped 'Yukisan you dont mean that, Rin's your brother. Family comes first'
He sighed and walked away.
'Hey Yukio! We're not done yet!' Rin shouted but Yukio ignored him.
I watched him leave.

'Okumura Rin come with us please'
'Why should I?' he challenged 'What do you want?'
'Paladin Okumura has ordered you be taken into custody' one of them pointed a gun and shot. Rin fell to the floor.
'Rin! What have you done?!' I shouted.
'Relax Miss Kano, it's only a tranquiliser dart'
'Rin? Rin can you hear me?' The exorcist picked him up and handcuffed him.
'Where are you taking him?' asked Suguro
'To the Vatican to be incarcirated' he replied.
'What have you done Yukio?' I thought 'this isn't what your father would have wanted'
...
'Where have they taken him? I asked.
'To the roof of the Academy' answered Shima 'they're going to execute him in some sort of ritual so they can open and destroy the Gehenna Gate'
'Execute him?! but they can't, he's done nothing wrong'
'In the eyes of the Vatican, even just being a demon is enought to be punishable by death even if they haven't commited any crimes' said Neko.
'We have to save him'
'We can't go against Rome Ayumi' said Kamiki
'We have to try. Rin is our friend, we can't just let him die'

We raced to the top of the Academy buildingand were stopped by the idiot Angel.
'No one is to pass' he smirked.
'Out of the way you bastard' I hissed.
'You are in league with the demon Okumura. You will die by my own hand' he raised his sword, but the blow never came...
I opened my eyes.
'Shura?!' I squeaked.
'Go save Rin' she said I've got this'
But it looked as though we were too late.