The Night Deficiency

The Big Crush Theory. 2Jae edition!

There are theories about time. In the long human history many of them emerged as a respond to all the mysteries the word ‘time’ brings with it.  Philosophy and Psychology seem to be the two big areas of knowledge which studies the passing of time, the first one more than the second; analyzing the impact of it in the lives of human beings. Physics has made a contribution to this topic as well, but there is no need to say it was full of mathematical formulas that only helped to make possible the idea of a time machine and time travels.

Time is certainly a thing Youngjae never paid much attention to. Of all the things in this vast Universe, time it’s clearly something he is not -and has never been- much curios about. Since he was born, passing by his childhood and until the present, time has only been an annoying tic-tac sounding loud in his ears and just distracting him when he had to do something important; like reading the last comic book of the week, for example. Time has only been day and night, the movement of Earth, the seconds dying quickly, the life passing by as he grow up. And again, an annoying tic-tac. 

Therefor Youngjae frowns a little as he looks at his reflection on the mirror, getting ready for another date with Suzy, thinking that it is quite curios how time has been passing lately after that furious day when he burst out his feelings about his step-brother. And perhaps he exaggerated a little bit that day, though. Because really deep inside, he can’t hate anyone; he even wonders if such feeling like ‘hate’ really exists. He was just angry that day, angrier as he has ever been and probably that was the result of enduring all the annoyance after so long. But Jaebum didn’t bother him anymore since that incident, yet Youngjae has still played the ‘I’m angry’ character. Maybe he did it just for fun, since not a single word had come out from the taller boy’s mouth after 7 days and the brunette did, indeed, feel victorious at some point. But now, in a really estrange and baffling way, he starts to feel bored without all the interaction with Jaebum and his gang, interactions to which he is so used.

The small boy sighs deeply, fixing his glasses one more time before walking out his room and down the stairs when the annoying sound of the clock ticking 8PM echoes on his head, telling him it’s time for his date with Suzy. In the instant he puts a foot in the living room his dark eyes find those brown ones looking at him with an odd twinkle in them he has never seen before, but he only returns the gaze with his cold, sharp eyes before turning them to his mother who is watching some tv show with Sejoon on the other couch. Even if Youngjae does miss how things were before, he still is upset about what happened.

-Mom, I’m going out.- the small boy says simply, without any emotion on his voice or face.

Him mother’s sweet glance looks back at him instantly, scanning him from head to toe as a playful smirk forms in her plump lips, and the smart boy already knows what she is about to say.

-Suzy again, right?- she wonders like if she didn’t know. –You look so handsome, baby.- she comments smiling wider, cupping her own face as she still keep looking at him like a scan.

So Youngjae just rolls his eyes, not wanting to hear what he has been hearing since the first time he went out with Suzy. He wonders why he told his mother anyways. –Yeah, well, I’m going late so goodbye.- he says quickly, grabbing his keys and rushing out the house.

-Awww! I can’t believe my baby has a girlfriend! He’s growing so fast.- Youngjae’s mother comments in a nostalgic but excited tone.

-She’s not his girlfriend.- Jaebum corrects quickly, wishing to be the only one who hear jealousy in his voice.

-How do you know?- his father asks him curios then.                                                          

And the black haired boy places his eyes on the couple in front of him, trying to sound cool and maybe selfless. –I hear when he said it to Yugyeom days ago.-

-Oh… well… they are sort of dating, right? That’s even more of what I’ve imagined coming from my son.- Youngjae’s mom says in a relived tone, looking at him and his father with a calm smile.

-Why do you say that? Did you think Youngjae could be gay?- Sejoon asks confuse, hugging the lady by her shoulders.

-No, of course not. It’s just… since his father introduced him to Physics Youngjae has not been too sociable. In kindergarten I’ve seen how the other boys left him alone and he never cared. He always came back home so happy and I just didn’t understand. How can he be so happy without friends? And after what happened with his father I had thought that he never would have any friends, and less a girlfriend. But thank God he now has Yugyeom, and I thought he could be more open with you and Jaebumie too. Obviously I was wrong, sadly.- the woman told them with her soft but sad voice; her eyes shining afflicted. 

- And now he comes and tells me he’s going out with this girl and I’m still really surprised. In some ways is really hard to believe knowing him. but I’m happy; he seems to be happy with Suzy and that’s all I care.- she smiles sweetly this time, looking up at his father as Jaebum can see how much they love each other.

And Jaebum has to confess, he feels a bit jealous right now.

-Well, if Youngjae will have a girlfriend eventually then Jaebum you should do the same or your little brother will mock you.- his father’s amused voice sounds boring to him, but he just pretends a funny chuckle.

-Oh honey, let him be. I‘m sure Jaebum has a lot of girls running around him, it must be hard find someone who is not a crazy fangirl, right?- Youngjae’s mom talks to him, soft but sweet, just like the brunette’s tone.

And Jaebum flashes one of his charming smiles. –Let’s say I don’t want any commitment right now.- he comments nicely, being covertly secretive about it.

-But girls want commitment, son. Anyways, tell me, is there any girl you like?- his father wonders with a slight smirk, placing his eyes on him just like Youngjae's mother.

“There is, but is a boy. And he hates me…” Jaebum thinks sadly, not showing it at all. –Well, maybe and maybe not.- he answers in a fake cute voice, standing up as he walks to the door.

Then he hears the couple’s soft laughs. -So where are you going?- his father asks again, sounding distant.

-Who knows?~- is all what the boy exclaims before walking out the house and getting on his car.

-Actually, I know. I’m going to check that won’t touch my little nerd too much.- Jaebum mumbles bothersome as he drives through the dark streets, remembering the talk Youngjae had with Yugyeom a couple of hours ago, heading there without wasting any second.

Because it doesn’t matter if the small boy hates him, he just can’t help this burning feeling of jealousy whatever his little nerd is with that girl or with another person. And Jaebum has to make sure nobody will lay their hands on his Youngjae.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The night was like every night, nothing special was paint on that dark mantle. The white moon didn’t have a particular gloss and the starts were just there, shining monotonously like always since the first seconds of the Big Bang. The night breeze wasn’t so great either; it just blows softly in shorts intervals of time swinging the leaves of the trees without much strength. The park where a lot of couples are walking around is as quiet as the nature, complementing perfectly the boring and unattractive scenario.

A certain brunette boy sighs, playing with the plastic cup between his hands as the liquid which used to be a smoothie is now being digested by his stomach. His dark brown eyes are fixed on the grass under his sneakers, tired of looking up at the moon as if she could tell him why this night is not as amazing as the others; like if she could tell him why this date wasn’t as excited as the others since he step out his house. Is certainly not Suzy's fault, she has been trying to make this entreating for him but she fail over and over again along the evening. Clearly, something is wrong with him tonight, but he can’t figure out what is it or why.

-Youngjae…- Suzy's smooth voice reaches his ears along with the sound of people passing by in front of them, making him look up at her. -Can you tell me what has been going on in your head tonight? Maybe I can help you.- she comments, giving him a sweet but kind of fake smile.

-Well…- the boy mumbles weakly, settling on the bench as he can look at her comfortably. –I… have nothing going on in my head.- he lies, playing nervously with the plastic cup.

-Don’t lie. It so obvious.- Suzy tells him somewhat mad, making him tremble ashamed.

So Youngjae sighs. –I wasn’t thinking about it the whole night but… I had a big fight with Jaebum last week and, in some unexplainable way, I feel bored without him and his gang bulling me.- he confesses, now feeling stupid.

And the girl just chuckles. -Really? Isn’t it good if they don’t bully you? Why would you feel bored?- she wonders, sounding slightly sarcastic in the brunette‘s ears.

-I was thinking that. Like I’m used to them bulling me, it’s like if something is lacking in my environment, is like if the balance of the Universe is wrong. And I’m not only feeling bored, but I’m starting to feel odd in a life like this.- the boy explains, unbelieving what he’s saying.

And Suzy just smiles at him, leaning closer and closer until their faces are just inches away. –You should look the bright side of this: you lose your bully, but you won me… Why don’t you stop thinking about someone who doesn’t matter and start to pay more attention to me? I can fill that place Jaebum left and turn it into something good for you and for me… for us.- she tells sweetly, his cheek slowly as she look straight at him.

Youngjae doesn’t understand quite much why, but Suzy sounded like one of those cruel characters in the dramas he used to watch with his mother. Like if Jaebum was his lover and Suzy was trying to get between them to tearing them apart. “Stop thinking nonsense and answer her!” he tells himself in his head, feeling the warm breath of Suzy clashing with his own.

-Umm… but it’s funny when he bullies me because I bother him too. He is really dumb so I like to make fun of him and his gang.- Youngjae comments amused, remembering all those time when Yugyeom and him laugh so hard because those priceless expression in the boys’ faces.

But the girl in front of him frowns a little. –Youngjae, you are not understanding what I want to say.- she tells, still gentle but somewhat rare. –I like you a-and… I want to be with you so, why don’t you look at me more and leave Jaebum alone?- she proposes, giving him one of her sweet smiles.

So the brunette sighs, nodding as he understands. Maybe it could be better if Jerkbum and the gang stop bulling him; maybe it could be better if he ends with that stupid game once and for all like Yugyeom has been telling him. And maybe it could be better if he starts a relationship with Suzy and grows up a little more. It could make his mother happy, it could make Yugyeom happy, it could make Jaebum annoyed too… But it’s really this what he wants? Is he even ready to have a girlfriend? He doesn’t want to waste time or make Suzy waste time, so should he accept this?

-Youngjae do you have to think about it so much? You don’t want to be with me?- Suzy's sad tone brings him out of his thoughts, seeing those cute eyes a little watery.

-O-of course I want to be with you, Suzy. I-it’s just this is all so new to me.- Youngjae rushes to say because he doesn’t want to make her cry, and judging by the cute smile in the girl’s lips it seems she didn’t saw through his lie.   

-You are so sweet, Youngjae…- Suzy whispers tenderly, cupping his face as she pulls them closer as the boy’s blinks surprise because of what she is about to do.

Suzy already could feel those pink lips against hers although there’s still a tiny gap between them. Their breathes meet again in a soft contact, and just when she was about to finally taste that mouth which she has been trying to kiss, something round and hard hits her back quickly, spreading across her body waves of pain as she immediately lets go that round face and a cry of pain escapes .

-Oww!- the girl whines, putting her hands quickly on her back to touch the sore zone.

-What happen, Suzy?- Youngjae wonders surprised, seeing her mumbling some words he can’t understand.

-Someone throw a rock to me.- Suzy complaints, looking down at the not so small rock which fell to the bench after hitting her.

-Mmm…- the boy hums as he look behind the girl, seeing a car parking in the street but there’s nobody inside. –Maybe the rock fell out the tree…- he says, not really believing it.

-Yes, whatever. I want to go home.- the girl mumbles sulking, standing up as she keep rubbing her back.

And Youngjae rolls his eyes without Suzy noticing him, standing up as well as he walks her home in complete silence; thinking that this is absolutely not what he wants and he is so not ready to have a girlfriend… at least not Suzy.

A pair of brown eyes looks how the ‘couple’ walks away, seeing them every step more distant, until they finally are out his view and a smirk curves mischievous in his mouth. –I hope it hurts all week, .- the owner of those facial features says amused, congratulating himself for being such a good pitcher.

Jaebum puts the car on move again, driving slowly to his home to arrive before Youngjae and pretend like if nothing ever happen. Like if he has just not seen how that stupid girl dared to try kissing his little nerd. The smirk in his plump lips gets wider and more mischievous, so anxious to show to that girl what happen when someone tries to steal something that belongs to him.

-You messed with the wrong boy, little .- Jaebum whispers as the moonlight illuminates his determined darken eyes, having a perfect plan in mind which he will implement very soon.