The Social Interaction Initiation

The Big Crush Theory. 2Jae edition!

Curiosity is one of the most primitive feelings of human beings. I dare to say it’s the starting point of the world we know today. What could have happened if the first man alive didn’t come out from its cave and start to interact with the environment around it? What could have happened if that fist man alive didn’t communicate with the other of its same kind? What could have happened if the first astronomer didn’t look up at the night sky and wonder if the Earth it’s the one moving or if it’s the Sun? Or giving an example coming from the field of Physics, what could have happened if Sir Isaac Newton ate the apple instant of thinking about what had just occurred? Just like that, basically, History had surged, the world had formed, and everything we know now had born.

So being the smart boy he is, being the future Physicist Major in Theoretical Physics, Youngjae has a lot of curiosity. Even since he was a child, long before his father give him his first Physics book, baby Youngjae had a lot of curiosity… like that time when he was 4 and ate a few roses his dad had given to his mom because he wondered why flowers are not meant to eat but yes to give away and make perfumes. Although he learn in a hard way his lesson, because roses taste horrible in his sweet palate used to chocolate ice-cream, baby Youngjae learn something. He had an idea, he supposed what could happen, he made the test, he had the result and finally he had his respond; and since then he didn’t stop. Baby Youngjae kept wondering and making ‘experiments’ just like any little kid… until his father introduced him to Physics.

Since that day everything changed for Choi Youngjae: his way to look the world, his way to look things around him, the way to look at the persons around him, the thoughts in his mind, the structure of the facts he knew, the Universe was suddenly too small for all his questions and he loved it. Time had passed, he had grown up, his brain is full with the beauty of knowledge and he still has a lot of curiosity, he still loves it, and it’s precisely because of that he can’t quite understand why he  doesn’t want to understand what had happened the last weekend with his step brother, bully and archi enemy. So you can say Youngjae is curios of not wanting to understand what he do feel curios about ... Is it clear?

Day by day pass again, and his ‘relationship’ with Jaebum had come back to normal: jokes coming from the gang and a sharp, intelligent answer coming from him. But there has been changes in the ‘routine’, like Jaebum’s chuckles, now those are soft and nice. Jaebum’s eyes seem to be clearer and warmer when they are looking at him. Jaebum’s tone when he talks to him sounds secretly gentle. Jaebum’s smirk had lost the mockery and now its replaced with iness. Jaebum’s touch, in the odd times they touch, feels so soft but at the same time burns slightly his skin… and Jaebum’s ‘good night’ every single night before going to bed, is so tender yet so seductive in his ears. He feels a bit anxious every time Jaebum gets close to him, but there were no more kisses, though: not on his cheek, not on his neck, less on his lips.

Considering all these facts, plus to what happened in the weekend, Youngjae’s mind should be, in rough words, a ing mess. But no, that’s not the case here. Obviously, the smart boy doesn’t understand what happened, or why their ‘relationship’ changed at some points; but he feels he doesn’t need to understand. Why should he? This feels good, this feels alright. He likes it, he likes it very much. There’s no need to understand if nothing is not wrong, right?. I mean, yes, he had blush like crazy when Monday morning came along with his logic and rationality and the reality hit him like cold water; but even in that moment he didn’t wonder anything. Even in that moment, feeling all embarrassed and nervous, he didn’t questioned those events or his feelings… he even wondered if Jaebum would kiss him again or he should kiss the older boy. So the only question on his mind, the only thing he feel scurios about , is why he feels like he doesn’t need to understand what happened.  

A smile curves on his face, thinking in how amusing his complicated mind sounds; as his dark eyes danced reading that old Physics book which in its cover you could read in beautiful golden letters ‘Quantum Physics’, but something different call his eye. There, under the shadow of a big tree in the backyard, right in front of him, legs are entering his range of vision. Distracting legs of a distracting someone. The brunette slowly lift his gaze, finding a certain black haired boy looking at him with that nice smile which years ago looked so fake but now looks so charming in this boy.

Youngjae blinks as Jaebum doesn’t say anything, he just remains there staring. -Do I owe you money? Because I don’t remember if I do so.- he asks with some slight amused tone, making the older boy chuckle.

-No, but it seems you don’t remember the talk we had on Sunday night.- the tall boy answers as amused as him, taking the liberty of sitting by his side on the table. –I’m here for your first lesson of social interaction.- Jaebum announces curiously jolly, so jolly that the small boy wonders why his bully could be so excited about this.

So Youngjae chuckles, closing the book and leaving it aside as he looks back at the black haired boy, fixing his glasses before taking the word again. –How innocent, Jerkbum, you really thought I was talking seriously.- he mocks a little, a small playful smirk forming on his lips.

And Jaebum smirks as well. –How innocent, little nerd, you never should take my word so lightly.- he comments casually, as a serious tone rings in his voice… sounding somewhat y in the brunette’s ears.

But Youngjae rolls his eyes. –Okay, I’ll give you the honor to try to teach me something.- he mocks again, smirking one more time. –So, how do you start the class?- he wonders then, half curios half amused, seeing how the other boy just smirks even more.

-I’m so glad you ask, they are arriving just in time.- Jaebum answer in a mocking but nice tone, confusing the shorter boy a little.

-They…?- Youngjae mumbles as a small frown forms in his puzzle face.

But when his bully turns the gaze away from him, Youngjae only had to look right there where the older boy is looking… finding the rest of the gang standing in front of them, the four smirking mischievously at him. -Hi, nerd!- they ‘greet’ him so falsely polite that our brunette can’t believe what his step brother is proposing.

So Youngjae’s brown eyes look back at the boy sitting by his side, ignoring the other four like always. –Explain this in a reasonable way.- he says, almost demanding, really unbelieving.

And Jaebum just chuckles. –Your first lesson of social interaction is making friends. So, to make things faster, I bring my friends so they could be your friends too.- he explains his idea simply, sounding so proud and slightly excited.

But Youngjae has a totally different opinion about it. -Are you kidding me? You want me to be friends with the people who bullied me all this time?- he asks incredulous, at some point even sarcastic.

-You have to give us a try, nerd.- Mark comments, not really trustworthy for the smart boy, showing his best charming smile which makes Youngjae cringe a little.

So the brunette’s eyebrows frown a bit more. –I’m sorry: You want me to be friends with the people who still bully me all this time?- he ask again incredulous, maybe a bit exaggerated.

-Come on little nerd, you are the one who wants to knows to whom I was singing right? So you know this is what you have to do.- Jaebum says to him in a soft but clear voice, looking straight into his eyes as he feels a tiny shiver running down his spine.

So Youngjae sighs, crossing his arms and frowning a bit more. –Okay, I’ll do it…- he accepts finally, seeing the tall boy smiling at him. –…But only if Yugyeom is with me.- he adds then, finding quite interesting how Jaebum’s expression changed severely just for a few words.

-Why only if Yugyeom is with you?- Jaebum wonders somewhat displeased, a confuse frown growing on his face.

-Well, you are five against one… if I have Yugyeom then we’ll be matched.- Youngjae smiles cutely, finding really funny the way Jaebum is frowning so much.  

-How dumb are you, nerd? If Yugyeom comes then we’ll be still be five against two.- Jinyoung’s voice echoes in the brunette’s mind boringly along with that stupid comment.

So his brown eyes are seeing those small ones now, a mocking smirk begging for curve in his mouth before words slid off his lips. -How dumb are you, fat ? You can’t see through my words, can you? I mean if I have Yugyeom, then I don’t need anyone else. He is my only friend for some reason, don’t you think?- Youngjae asks in a fake wondering tone, knowing how much this boy hates him because of Yugyeom.

Jinyoung’s small eyes look at him so directly that Youngjae can swear this boy is digging holes on his body… but it’s really funny, though. –I won’t be friends with this stupid nerd. No way, no how.- Jinyoung states then in a clear angry voice, turning his gaze  to his tall friend.

And so Jaebum sighs deeply. –Little nerd, you have to be nice with people if you want them to be your friends.- he comments somewhat tired, placing his darl orbs on the small boy by his side.

-He called me dumb, obviously he doesn’t want to be my friend.- Youngjae pouts a little, feeling kinda immature but Jinyoung did call him dumb first.

-Jinyoung wants to be your friend, don’t you, Jinyoung?- the black haired boy asks then, looking straight into his friend’s eyes with the coldest gaze he ever give to the young boy. 

And Jinyoung just rolls his eyes. –Sure, I’m so excited…- he answers boringly but the sarcasm it’s so audible in his voice.

But Youngjae didn’t miss the little scene between the gang, he didn’t miss the sarcastic and a little displeased tone in Jinyoung’s voice; and so Youngjae wonders why this boy hates him so much. Of course, it’s because of Yugyeom… but why exactly? So the smart boy forms a smile on his lips, a nice one, and places his eyes back to those tiny, angry ones.

-Jinyoung , why don’t we have a little talk?- he asks him, standing up and taking a few steps closer to the older boy.

And just when Jinyoung was about to answer that idiotic question with an insult, those brown eyes of Jaebum stares at him intensely, telling him that he should talk with the brunette if he doesn’t want to meet the tall boy’s anger. So he sighs deeply, sliding his hands into his pants pockets. –Come on, nerd… let’s have that little talk you want.- he mumbles obviously bother, starting to walk away.

So Youngjae just follows the boy in front of him, finding a quiet place near the school’s gym; far away from the rest of the gang. The summer air blows softly between them, caressing their hairs in a nice cool touch as the sunlight seeps through the green leaf of the tree under which they are standing. They just look at each other, not a single word is said in almost 5 minutes since they arrived and the brunette feels a bit uncomfortable because of those small, sharp eyes staring at him almost without even blinking.

So the small boy sighs, deciding he’ll be the one who takes the first step. –So… Park Jinyoung…- he mumbles somewhat unsure, searching for the right words in his brilliant mind. -Why do you hate me so much?- he asks then curios, although he already knows but not entirely.

The boy in front of him just chuckles sarcastically. –Because I don’t like you, nerd.- he answers, emphasizing the adjective in such a despicable tone.

-Yes, I know, but why? I never did anything to you.- Youngjae comments in a slightly confused voice, looking straight into those small eyes to find the truth.

But Jinyoung just remains there, without saying anything, just staring… and the smart boy starts to feel that maybe his hypothesis is correct and Jinyoung does feel attracted to Yugyeom. –It could be, perhaps, because of Yugyeom?- he wonders, raising his eyebrows to put a twinkle of innocent on his statement.

And when the boy’s expressive eyes open a bit wider than usual, Youngjae knows his hypothesis is now a powerful theory. –Perhaps, because Yugyeom is my best friend? Because Yugyeom is always with me? Because Yugyeom only looks at me? Because I’m the one who hugs him? Because Yugyeom loves to play with my hands and ears?- he wonders, biting back a mocking smirk as he sees clearly how the fury burns in those dark eyes.

-This is exactly why I hate you…- Jinyoung mumbles between his clenched teeth, feeling his blood boiling with anger at each word the other boy say.

-This? Can you be more specific?- Youngjae asks in a fake confuse but nice tone, tilting his head to one side to look even more innocent.

-You know what I’m talking about, nerd…- Jinyoung says sharply, his fists clenching strongly at both sides of his body.

-Do I?- the brunette asks faking surprised.

-Don’t play dumb with me…- the boy hisses dangerously low, his small eyes darker than ever.

So Youngjae bits his lower lip hard, barely holding back the laughter. -Maybe… it’s because… you like… Yugyeom?- he wonder ‘clueless’, giving the other boy a falsely cute smile.

And so Jinyoung takes a step closer to him, a dangerous step closer. -If you know, why the are you asking me?- he wonders in a deep, bother tone; his eyes almost melting the glass of the older boy’s glasses.

-Just to make sure.- the brunette answers simply, smiling wide as he feels proud because, again, he is right.

And Jinyoung chuckles sarcastically. -Do you think I won’t punch your ugly face, nerd? Because I’m more than glad to do it.- he comments in a rare mix between mockery and angriness.

But the smart boy just rolls his eyes as he chuckles as well. –I know you will, you are a wild animal after all; I know how your simple mind works.- he says faking a nice smile, enjoying how the other boy frowns. –And like I know your simple mind, I can guess you had being jealous of me, right? So I just want to tell you that your jealousy has been in vain all this time.- he tells calmly, like if this wasn’t a big deal.

There’s a short moment of silence as the summer breeze keeps blowing between them, until Jinyoung’s mind is finally able to process those words. -What do you mean?- he asks confused, trying to understand it.

-What do you mean what do I mean?- Youngjae answers back with a slightly mocking voice, finding delightful playing mind-games with this clueless boy.

-Stop playing! I’m asking you seriously!- Jinyoung exclaims irritated, his dark eyebrows frowning showing how bother he feels.

So the brunette leaves a small laugh seep from his lips. –I mean, exactly that, your jealousy was and it is in vain: I don’t like Yugyeom in that way, and I’m sure neither does he. We are just best friends, he is just my only friend and you, Park Jinyoung, have nothing to worry about.- he explains as nice as he can be, but still this is so funny to him.

But Jinyoung’s sharp eyes look at him still so angry. –I can’t trust you, Jaebum told us you and Yugyeom kissed.- he tells, and Youngjae seems to hear some hurtful tone on those words.

So he sighs. –That was just an experiment, and I didn’t like it at all… it felt just so wrong.- the brunette comments, biting his bottom lip as he kind of feels guilty because he kissed his best friend; but it was in the name of Science.

There’s another moment of silence as Youngjae’s words float in the air around them -How can I know you are not lying to me?- until Jinyoung asks, a curios and doubtful tone ringing in his soft  voice.  

And Youngjae just smiles at him, an honest nice smile he never thought he could give to this particular boy. –You can’t, Park Jinyoung… You’ll just have to do it if we are going to be friends.- he answers softly, with all the honesty a human can put in words.

And so Jinyoung smiles as well, and just for that grin the brunette thinks that maybe this boy isn’t so cruel and cold. –It’s gonna take a long time till I would call you my friend, Choi Youngjae.- he tells in a jolly but mocking voice, smiling so friendly that Youngjae wonders how he never saw Jinyoung smiling if it is so nice.

-I bet you anything you want that by the end of the month you’ll be calling me ‘Youngie’- he mocks as well, smiling wider as he finds the other boy’s smile amazingly contagious.

And the boy just chuckles. -Why are you so confident, nerd?- he wonders, although the tone when he said the adjective didn’t sound insulting or negligible at all; thing which surprised him a little.

-Because I’m adorable, Jinyoung!- Youngjae pouts, even though he looks just too funny than actually adorable. And when the other laughs a little more loudly, is then when he smirks mischievous. –And plus, I’m Yugyeom’s best friend and I have information you can find… quite interesting.- he adds, seeing the new spark in those dark eyes.

-Oh well, in that case, I’m Jaebum’s friend and I have information you can find quite interesting too, Youngjae.- Jinyoung tells him mischievous, erasing the smirk on his face and making him tremble slightly.

Jerkbum couldn’t have told to the gang about what happened between them… right? Well, Youngjae on his side did tell Yugyeom about it but that’s completely different because Yugyeom is his only friend and he knows Yugyeom could never open his mouth. But Jaebum can think the same about his friends, so… does that mean Jinyoung and the others know?

He swallows slowly, trying to fake a smirk and pretend he is not nervous at all. -Why could I want to know information about Jerkbum?- he wonders incredulous, although there may be one or two things he may want to know about his step brother, though. 

And Jinyoung just shrugs like if he didn’t know. –Who knows? You have to know your enemy, right?- he asks him, a little playful smirk curving in his plump lips.

Yet Youngjae just sighs, feeling just a little more calm. –I know my enemy, I live with him; trust me when I say I know him.- he comments with confidence, but yeah, he practically doesn’t know anything about his bully.

And Jinyoung smiles wider once again, like he knew something. –If you say so, nerd…- he says in a soft but mocking tone.

So the brunette rolls his eyes in a comical way –Fat , what happened with ‘Youngjae’? I was starting to think you were nice.- he mocks as well, seeing how the other boy imitated his previous action.

-Come on, nerd; let’s go back with the boys and see what we’ll do tonight.- Jinyoung tells him calmly, hugging him by the shoulders and taking him back with the rest of the gang.

And it was just in that moment, when Jinyoung’s touch felt so friendly and warm, when he saw his step bother smiling at him when they arrived that Youngjae felt that maybe and just maybe he can call these boys his friends in a near future and care about them in the way he cares about Yugyeom… but he wonders if he’ll be able to do the same with Jaebum.

That’s it if he want to be just friends with Jaebum.