Duality

My tutor Jinhwan

Jinhwan had no clue what to feel, think or say. The only thing that was clear in his mind was confusion. He was confused. Yesterday after Hanbin had surprised him with the somewhat sweet words, Jinhwan had been having difficulty to concentrate.

 

Even though Hanbin only , Jinhwan’s heart skipped a beat at his answer. Never in his life had Jinhwan expected that, at least not from him.  Jinhwan tried to calm down his beating heart by thinking that he was only joking, which Hanbin was, but somehow, Jinhwan couldn’t be still about it. He didn’t know why, but it made his heart flutter, and that was something he didn’t like.

Jinhwan could do nothing, but to beg his heart to stop race any faster. His beating heart along with Hanbin’s small will of doing anything that has to do with tutoring, didn’t progress the learning at all. Unfortunate for Jinhwan, it didn’t look like Hanbin was going to protest about it either. Rather, it looked like he enjoyed it when Jinhwan stuttered and couldn’t utter a single formula, or he got them wrong. Why? Because: his mad heart wouldn’t give him the slightest peace.

"Relax it’s just me here,” Hanbin said, if Jinhwan wasn’t wrong, it sounded a bit cocky, which didn’t make his situation any better at all. He became even more nervous, and didn’t know one could get this nervous. Jinhwan stole a small glance at him, and noticed Hanbin kept on smiling.  Jinhwan couldn’t tell if he was mocking him or pitying him.

 

In the end Jinhwan couldn’t bare his heat and decided to go home, promising to become a better tutor for Hanbin, and that he would not get easily distracted as he got that day. Strangely enough, Hanbin hadn’t said a thing against him, which is unusual for him to do, and he had just lead him to the door followed by “I’ll tell you next time we will have a tutor lesson” and then he closed the door, leaving Jinhwan ready to go.

What Hanbin has said when they were still in his room, made Jinhwan block any common sense and just blanked out. His heart had fluttered by what Hanbin has told him. I don’t know, maybe because I like you? Because I like you… like you… These words kept repeating in Jinhwan’s head as if he had never heard anything else in his life before. These words had kept Jinhwan unfocused throughout the whole school day. These words had kept Jinhwan’s heart skip a beat each time he quickly glanced at Hanbin. Hanbin has said it on such a casual way, and he was probably joking. What’s the probability that Hanbin would actually mean it? Even though Jinhwan was conscious about Hanbin probably joking, he still couldn’t help being happy about it.

Jinhwan’s couldn’t help smile as he walked out of the classroom, as the class just had finished. As always Jinhwan was one of few students that had actually done the homework, while the others had to wash the classroom. When Jinhwan had come out and headed to the lockers, he saw a familiar face, and the smile that already was placed on his mouth, widened even more. “Donghyuk-ah” Jinhwan said as he walked towards his friend. His smile fell as he saw the worried eyes of his best friend. Jinhwan had a small chuckle as he thought of how many thoughts Donghyuk probably had. How many times he had been worried, over how many things. Jinhwan was excited to see his best friend, not because he was worried for him, but because Jinhwan was so surprised over Hanbin’s side. So excited he couldn’t keep it to himself.

“Donghyuk, oh my gosh it wasn’t that bad at all! He is actually quite okay, and Hanbyu-“ Jinhwan stopped himself as he remembered what Hanbin had told him. Don’t you dare tell anyone about this. Donghyuk frowned at is friends sudden stop.

“Hanbyu? Who is that?” he asked as he held around his backpack, getting a book out. Jinhwan felt cold sweat rand down his spine. First of all, Jinhwan was a horrible liar. He hated to lie, because he knew that either it was so bad, that whoever could see through him, or they would eventually find it out. Second of all, he hated lying to his best friend. As a matter of fact, Jinhwan had never ever lied to Donghyuk, as he believed relationships lasts longer if there’s only honesty. However in this situation, Jinhwan had to lie, because he didn’t want to let Hanbin’s “secret” out, and he was terrified what Hanbin would do to him as if he did. Jinhwan shifted nervously his eyes around in the room, searching for any kind of help. His eyes landed on a poster of a dog show.

“DOG!” Jinhwan shouted, resulting to Donghyuk startling a bit by the smaller sudden shout. Jinhwan laughed nervously as he scratched the back of his head. “That’s the neighbours dog, Hanbyu, heh” Jinhwan said as it was a terrible lie.

“Why would you think about the dog?” Donghyuk asked confused. Donghyuk’s questions didn’t help Jinhwan at all.

“I like dogs?” Jinhwan tried not daring to know what Donghyuk thought of him by this time. He looked carefully up at Donghyuk, expecting some sort of sassy or ‘I don’t believe you’ face, but to his big surprise Donghyuk only nodded and smiled.

“Hoe did the tutoring go then?” Donghyuk asked as he placed the backpack back on his back, after getting his biology book, which was their next subject. Feeling guilty, Jinhwan decided to push it away and looked at Donghyuk.

“Well, it was quite awkward, and nothing much happened. He is really as unmotivated ad he is at school,” Jinhwan sighted, earning a chuckle from Donghyuk. “But one thing I know for sure, he is really a nice,” Jinhwan said as they walked to the classroom. Donghyuk frowned at Jinhwan in confusion.

“How did you conclude with that?” he asked. Jinhwan’s shrugged his shoulders and smiled at Donghyuk.

“I don’t know. I just feel like we could actually become friends for a change!” Jinhwan said excitingly. Donghyuk shoot a surprised look at him. “We are talking about the same person? B.I?” he asked as he looked at the shorter. Jinhwan laughed a bit, as he thought of how different Hanbin could be. “Yes we are talking about Kim Hanbin” Jinhwan said smiling wide as they walked into classroom.

 

Hanbin sat on his chair with his gang around him. It would usually be like this. Bobby on Hanbin’s desk, Yunhyeong sitting in the window frame, and Junhwe standing beside Bobby and Hanbin himself on the chair which belonged to his desk. Hanbin rested his hands in his pocket as he sat as a potato sack on his chair, while his feet rested on the desk. He knew Bobby and Junhwe had a conversation about something stupid, probably a kid’s lunch they were going to take, but Hanbin couldn’t really care less. All his attention landed on the small boy who walked into the classroom. Somewhat a small smile crossed his face as he saw the tiny boy smiling.

Remembering yesterday he smiled even more. How he saw the older couldn’t contain his heart. How Jinhwan tried to stay calm, while B.I could see right through him: he was dead nervous. B.I, himself, would like to say that he was only joking when he said that he liked Jinhwan, but how true that is, is unsure.

B.I’s smile fell as soon as he saw the source of the tiny boys smile: his friend beside him. Hanbin murmured something under his breath, while shifting gaze from the two happy boys, to his best friend Bobby. “Yah! B.I! Earth to B.I! Are you there?” Bobby said waving his hand right in front of B.I, not helping on his mood at all.

He slapped Bobby’s hand away while growling a dangerously low “what is it?” Bobby retreated his hand in the minute the pain hit though it. Even though B.I was slimmer and a bit shorter than him, he sure was strong! Never underestimate him; after all, he is the leader of the gang in this school. “What was that for?” Bobby pouted as he caressed his own hand, in hope for the pain to go away. As there were no answers to receive he looked at Yunhyeong.

Yunhyeong jumped down and rested his hands in his pocket. “What’s with that gloomy face? Just a couple of seconds ago, you were smiling like an idiot” he stated, not really afraid of B.I’s death glares. Yunhyeong rolled his eyes as he saw B.I wouldn’t answer him. For some reason, he had been quite since yesterday. “Anyway, what did you do yesterday since you couldn’t join us at the karaoke?” he asked, trying to get off the topic, and make him loose up a bit. To Yunhyeong, and the others for that matter, surprise, he got even angrier.

“Non of you ing business,” B.I said, but his attention was directed towards the petit boy who was walking towards them. He looked so small as he walked over to them. He was so small compared to them. B.I had to laugh. It was almost cute. Then he glanced at his friend who was standing a few rows behind him, observing them. His anger came back really quickly. One by one, his feet dropped to the floor as the boy came closer. They got eye contact, resulting in B.I to raise an eyebrow.

“I-I was wondering when ne-“ The petit boy tried, but didn’t make it far as B.I stopped him in the track when he stood up.

“What the does a midget like you want with me?” B.I’s sharp voice was heard throughout the whole classroom, sending shivers down most of the students’ spines. B.I watched the smaller shrink at his shout. The fair in his eyes, made B.I rethink what he was doing, but shook it quickly off. B.I said he was cute? No, he pissed him off. B.I noticed how he tried to utter some words. Pathetic, just like yesterday. “If you have nothing to say, then don’t come here,” B.I said as he sat down again. The annoyance was written clearly in his face.

 

First Jinhwan felt a strike of insecurity running through his body, but was soon replaced with anger. How dared he? Jinhwan shoot him a death glare and his heels then walked out of class. Donghyuk, who had been observing everything, quickly followed his best friend, but not before he glanced behind and caught Yunhyeong looking and smiling at him. Donghyuk got flustered and walked as fast as he could to catch up with Jinhwan. He found him stopping neat the window at the corridor, looking out angrily towards the football field below. Both his arms rested on the windowsill.

“Hey calm down,” Donghyuk tried to cheer up his friend, “don’t let him ruin your mood. Just forget about him.

Jinhwan shook his head. “I don’t understand. Yesterday he was so kind,” he sighted, “but today he’s really not the same person. I guess there’s a reason why they call him B.I and not Hanbin, because they are literally not the same person!” Jinhwan whisper-shouted in frustration.

“It’s okay, we both know he’s a prick, that’s just who he is,” he tried to cheer up his gloomy friend, only to receive an angry pair of eyes.

“Noo, you don’t understand,” Jinhwan said, frustrated. He wanted to tell Donghyuk about how sweet Hanbin was towards his little sister, Hanbyul, but he couldn’t. And of course he couldn’t tell Donghyuk about how Hanbin makes his heart race by his kind words and gestures yesterday. So all Jinhwan could say was, “I’m telling you, he is kind.” But even if he said it, he was not sure if it was to convince Donghyuk of himself. Donghyuk sighted as he thought that Jinhwan should realise that B.I had a huge flaw, and that was lack in kindness.  

“Jinani, open your eyes! Does he relay look like a person that’s filled with kindness?” Donghyuk said as he pointed towards their classroom where B.I could be seen thought the open door. The bully was busy laughing at something Bobby said; he had long gone forgotten about Jinhwan and Donghyuk. Jinhwan sighted, realising that the person sitting there, was not the same person he was with yesterday. “Probably not,” Jinhwan mumbled in dejection.

 

After class, Jinhwan said his goodbye to Donghyuk for now, as they didn’t share the next class. He cheerfully walked over to his locker, math always helped on the gloomy mood. When Jinhwan opened his locker, surprise hit him as a stack of paper fell out of his locker. Confused, Jinhwan looked around him before he picked one of the papers up. Jinhwan groaned as realisation hit him. This was Hanbin, well B.Is’ homework! Had B.I really meant for him to do his homework? Like this? Especially after he humiliated him during break time today? Oh no! He was not going to make it this easy. The first thing that crossed Jinhwan’s mind was how on earth B.I had been able to get into his locker? He had probably broke into it. Now his second thought was to find this boy. Jinhwan was unsure if he should be angry with him, but he knew one thing: he was not going to give up on him. Jinhwan had two motivations: one: to get B.I up some grades, two: to prove to Donghyuk that B.I actually is a kind person. Jinhwan walked over to some students, asking where he could find B.I. They looked surprised at him, and Jinhwan knew why. It wasn’t everyday a nerd asked where the gang members were. They told him they last saw him on the basketball field.

 

When Jinhwan got outside and to the basketball field, he saw a figure jumping up and threw a ball through the basketball net. Jinhwan was amazed to see how B.I’s muscles contracted as he moved defensive, getting a player away from the ball. Suddenly a blush crept upon him as he saw that B.I was playing shirtless. Sweat rolled down his body, making his abs more defined. Jinhwan bit his bottom lip as he looked away. Get a grip Jinhwan! He thought to himself as he leaned against the fence, waiting.

After a good 10 minutes of waiting, B.I noticed Jinhwan and asked for a 5 min break, and grabbed his shirt while he walked towards Jinhwan. For a moment, all Jinhwan could see was B.I’s abs, but soon he shook his head as he noticed the taller approached him. Jinhwan gathered courage as he came closer and closer. When B.I came all the way up to him, he dried the sweat with his shirt, asking “what do you want midget”.

The use of name snapped Jinhwan back to reality. “YAH! Don’t call me a midget, and what do you think this is?” he said as he waved a stack of papers in his hand.

B.I frowned as he looked at the papers. “My homework, duuh” he said as he rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, and why did you give it to me?” Jinhwan asked although he knew the answer.

“Because you’re going to do them for me!” he said hanging his shirt over his neck. “Is there something else you want?” he asked annoyed.

“Yes as a matter of fact there is!” Jinhwan said looking directly into the tallers eyes. “I want you to tell me why you cannot do it by yourself?”

“Because of practise!” Hanbin shoots back at him.

Jinhwan was furious by his answer. He could probably have beaten a fly by this time. “Why don’t you just do it afterwards?!” Jinhwan shouted.

B.I rolled his eyes. “Why should I when I have you?” Jinhwan grunted, he was tired of his crap. He was not going to let Hanbin do as he wants, not with him. He inhaled and exhaled, to help him calm down. “Listen Hanbin, or B.I, whatever, let me get this straight for you: things won’t be the same as when Seojun was your tutor. There won’t only be study when you need it, and I wont do you homework for you each time you have to deliver it.” Before B.I could utter a single word of protest, Jinhwan quickly continued before he lose whatever courage he had at that moment. “And what’s with that attitude during break? Don’t forget, you need me to get a good grade. So I wont take any more of your bull do you hear me?

Maybe because B.I never dreamed that Jinhwan could fight back at him like that, his eyes were widened and his mouth was open, but no words came out. Jinhwan himself felt surprised with what he just said. When the realisation kicked in, Jinhwan suddenly felt himself become shy. “I-I really want to make you go up some grades, well at least to the average. You don’t need to get perfect A’s or B’s, but I want you to at least not be on the edge to failing.”

B.I still hadn’t said anything, but his eyes never left Jinhwan’s face. Jinhwan took a deep breath again, gathering his courage. He looked straight up at the boy in full confidence. “I will make a full study schedule for you everyday! We are going to work hard!” he said as tightened his fist as a courage maker. Jinhwan was terrified that B.I was going to yell at him, or hit him, or do anything to him, but to his big surprise he only stood there.

B.I was taken aback at what he just told. Not that Jinhwan wanted him to get up to average, but the fact that they were going to have a stupid tutor lesson every ing day. B.I was about to protest, but when he saw the confidence and the happiness in the boy’s eyes, he couldn’t let out a single word. He rolled his eyes and rested his hands in his pocket. “Sure whatever, but don’t ing disappoint me,” he said as he turned around and walked away from Jinhwan.

Their conversation ended with a fresh and confident Jinhwan and a smirking B.I.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

WOHO! another chapter! I hope you all like this! And please tell me what you think: thoughts and feelings on the characters, the story

I would really like some feedbacks :)

Hope you enjoy it and you'll get updated next Tuesday! <3