Old Friends

Wolf School 2

 

Chapter 4

Lay had been tossing and turning all night. At first Sehun had slept through it but when his partner got up to get a glass of water he had noticed the empty space beside him. Sleepily he came to realise that when Lay returned he was shivering hard.

“Baby?” he mumbled groggily.

Lay didn't answer. In the dark it was hard to see his expression but Sehun was sure he had his eyes screwed shut. He wrapped his arms around him and kissed his forehead, feeling his burning skin.

“, do you have a fever?”

Lay nodded.

“Baby, what's wrong? Why don't you heal yourself?”

“Can't,” Lay said shakily. “It doesn't work like that. I can't cure sicknesses, just numb the effects and when it gets to a certain stage I get too weak.”

“Oh, sweetie, you should have told me you were feeling unwell.”

“Sorry.”

“Stay here,” he said, realising that was a dumb thing to say. “I'll get you some medicine.”

He slipped out from under the covers and hurried to the kitchen.


 

By morning Lay was finally asleep and Sehun was watching over him with red eyes. Suho opened the door to find out what was wrong and found Sehun sitting up, yawning. He ruffled his hair sweetly and told him to stay home and look after Lay instead of going to school.

Under Kris's strict orders Chen too had stayed home. He hadn't developed a fever but he was shivery and his throat was so rough he could barely speak. As they walked to class in the same direction Kai, Xiumin and Luhan were talking about it.

“According to Suho Lay looked really unwell,” Kai was saying. “He'll probably be off school for a while.”

“That's a shame,” Luhan replied. “Chen isn't as bad but I don't think he'll be in much either.”

They drew up short as someone suddenly blocked their way and Luhan didn't quite contain his gasp.

“Hi, Minseok. Long time no see.”

Xiumin swallowed and blinked rapidly. ! He wasn't ready for this. He had known that Changmin was back but he hadn't expected to just walk into him like this. He hadn't even thought that he would speak to him or remember him or… , he didn't know what he had thought.

His hand slipped out of Luhan's. “H-h-hi, Ch-Changmin.”

He felt Kai and Luhan's surprised eyes on him but couldn't look at them. His cheeks were burning.

“How have you been?”

That smile. , , . !

“G-good, thanks. I've been fine.”

“That's good.” He gave Luhan a little glance with slightly raised eyebrows.

“Oh, right, um Changmin, these are my packmates Luhan and Kai.”

“Nice to meet you.” That smile again. He saw how Luhan especially flushed at the sight of it. “I'm so glad you found a pack, Minnie.”

Heat rushed up his face and he looked down shyly. God, he wished the others weren't there. No, wait, if they weren't there he had no idea what would happen. Probably better they were there, either side of him safely.

“Thanks,” he whispered.

They were saved from any further conversation by the bell.

“Well, I've got to go. I'll see you around.” Changmin waved his hand lazily as he walked away and Xiumin remembered how to breathe again.

“Oh my God! I can't believe you know Changmin and you didn't say anything,” Luhan exclaimed.

“It's not a big deal.” He started to walk, the others falling into step beside him.

“How do you know him? Do you know the others too?”

“Look, I'm going to be late for class. I'll see you later, okay?”

He picked up the pace and hurried to his classroom before Luhan could catch him and ask more about Changmin and the DBSK pack.

“That was weird,” muttered Kai as he watched his hyung leave. Luhan looked up at him with big eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“I didn't know he was friends with Changmin. He's never mentioned him before.”

Luhan shrugged. “They must have lost touch when Changmin went to Japan. It's pretty cool though, right?”

Kai stopped and Luhan did the same, looking at him in confusion. “What's wrong?”

“You don't think it's a bit weird that he's never mentioned him before?”

“Are… are you saying something went on between them?”

“The DBSK pack left before he moved into our dorm and joined our pack so I can't be sure but why else wouldn't he have mentioned him before?”

Luhan pouted, thinking it over. Even if there had been something, why not mention it to his packmates? Was he embarrassed or hurt by it?

“No,” he said smiling and starting to walk again, “I'm sure it's nothing. He would have told me if there was a problem.”

Kai shrugged and followed. “You know him best, I guess. I was just wondering.”

They didn't mention it again but Luhan couldn't help wondering if maybe Kai was onto something.

 

 

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. There's not enough ChangXiu in the world.