Still

I'd like that.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

One month later.

I lied on the hammock in my backyard, lying in the sun. It was Spring Break and the weather was getting warmer. The past month was very uneventful. I spent more time indoors and I rarely saw Jung anymore. My dad had him on watch outside of the house at the front gate, so even if I wanted to I couldn’t see him. I did go out a few times and he came with, but we didn’t say a word to each other and I even sat in the back seat when he drove. It’s like we never knew each other to begin with. I had become a master at acting like I didn’t care when I saw his face. A part of me wanted to ask my dad to find a new bodyguard for me so I didn’t have to live through this torture, but a bigger part of me needed him around as much as it did hurt.

“Seol.”

I opened my eyes and looked up from my hammock. The sun was shining in my eyes, so I covered the sun with my hand to see In-Ho standing above me. In-Ho had been visiting me a lot for the past month. Ever since the night at Beat, he’s been trying to keep me company at my house. Maybe it’s because I looked so pathetic and depressed, In-Ho took it upon himself to be there for me. I can’t say I didn’t appreciate him being around. He kept my mind off of Jung and I even caught myself smiling once in awhile.

“I got us a pizza and movie to watch.”

I got up from the hammock and he held up “The Notebook” DVD. It instantly brought an ache to my chest as it reminded me of Jung.

“Thanks…” was all I could say.

We got inside the house and went towards the living room where In-Ho put in the DVD. I must have dozed off because when I opened my eyes, the credits were rolling and my head was leaned against In-Ho’s shoulders.

“Sorry I missed the whole movie..” I said as I sat up.

Just as I said this, Jung walked past the living room. He didn’t even acknowledge we were there. He’s seen In-Ho and I together a lot and he’s never said anything to us. I watched as Jung walked to the kitchen and back downstairs.

“You can sleep some more if you want…” In-Ho said as soon as Jung was out of sight.

“I’m ok.” I forced a smile.

The credits continued to roll on the TV and I noticed the sun was setting outside.

“Seol?”

I looked over at In-Ho who was looking down at his hands. He slowly looked up at me.

“I… I was wondering….” In-Ho started, “have you ever thought of me as more than a friend?”

I felt a lump get caught in my throat. This is the last conversation I thought I’d be having with In-Ho.

“In-Ho… you’re like a brother to me…”

He quickly interrupted. “But, I’m not. I’ve been by your side since we were 6 years old. You are my first love and I’ve never wanted any other girl. Haven’t you noticed I’ve never dated anyone? It’s because of you, Seol. I want to be with you.”

My heart ached. Not because of what In-Ho was saying to me, but because it sounded so much like me when I talked to Jung. I understood how he felt.

I didn’t reply to In-Ho. He placed my hands in his and continued, “I promise I’ll make you happy. I don’t know what’s been bothering you lately, but I see that you’re really sad these days. All the hurt, all the bad stuff that’s going on in your life, I want to make better.”

I don’t know why I was letting In-Ho grab my hands and why I was letting him say these things to me. My aching heart kept bringing my thoughts back to Jung. This wasn’t good. I thought I had settled these feelings, but with In-Ho doing this, it was making me emotional. Tears started to well up in my eyes.

“Seol… What’s wrong?”

Tears fell down my cheeks and In-Ho came closer to me as he held me in his arms like he did so many times before while we were growing up. I leaned into his chest and continued to cry. I realized this wasn’t fair to In-Ho, but I couldn’t help it. I needed someone.

“I’ll be here for you… always.” In-Ho said as he held me tighter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next week, In-Ho came by the house almost every day after school. He would come by and bring me food or keep me company, which I accepted without thinking much of it. I had become so numb and the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter