Friends

I'd like that.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I gently opened the curtains in my bedroom window and looked outside almost as if I would see something new. It was the same old backyard that I had grown up seeing. For as far as my eyes could see, there was grass, trees, and the sky. My family owned this large amount of land along with one of the biggest companies in South Korea, Yun-Dae Ltd.  My home consisted of way too many bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens and we had on-site staff who would tend to my family’s needs. I was an only child and was made sure everything was at my beck and call at any time of day- I just had to ask. Despite the size of my home, I felt suffocated and trapped. I should feel like the luckiest girl in the world, but I felt so empty and confused all the time.

My phone rang a familiar tone. It was a text message.

Hong!!! Renaissance in 30 minutes?

This was a common text message from my best friend, Bora. We met at the local café where most of the students from our school hung out at after school and on weekends.

I’ll be there! I quickly texted back.

I put on my leather jacket, touque, gloves and grabbed my purse. I ran downstairs into my dad’s office.

“Hey dad, I’m going to meet Bora. I’ll be home a bit later!” Just as I was about to close the door, my dad called out.

“Make sure you get a ride from Ahjusshi! I want him to pick you up later, too.”

“Dad, please.” I pleaded. Tae-Suk Ahjusshi was my dad’s personal assistant. He lived full time in our house and was a loyal employee of his since I was a baby. Any time I went out, my dad wanted to make sure I was safe. He always worried there would be journalists and reporters trying to get to me to get a photo or comment about my dad’s business. There has been a few reporters who have approached me, but Bora has done a good job telling them to go away- not exactly politely, but it got the job done.

“No exceptions, Seol. You know the rules.” My dad continued to look at the papers on his desk without even making

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter