Jung

I'd like that.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Winter break was over and I was back in school. In-Ho was at the front door to greet me like he usually did every morning. He would walk me to my locker and then to my class. In-Ho was one of the most loyal and kind-hearted people I knew. He was someone that I felt really connected to. I didn’t have to say much for him to understand my thoughts and feelings. When my mom passed away, In-Ho held me in his arms as I cried all night. He didn’t say anything, but just comforted me.

“Hey Seol. How was the rest of break?” There he was again with his bright smile, greeting me at the front door.

“My dad grounded me. Bora says it was worth it ‘cause I got to see EXO.”

In-Ho let out a laugh as we proceeded to walk to my locker. I saw a group of girls stare at me as I walked by. They were talking about me. This was something I was used to because of the position my dad was in. Although all the kids that came to my school lived well, none of them came close to my dad, which also made me the target of a lot of gossip at my school.

"Hey, don't worry about it." In-Ho reassured me. In-Ho has had his share of gossip at our school. Him and his sister, In-Ha were adopted into a rich family, which a lot of the kids at our school didn't like. At a school like ours, In-Ho would be bullied and constantly ridiculed, but he's stood his ground. It also helps that he's really good-looking and the girls all fawn over him. Come to think of it, In-Ho has never dated anyone from our school. 

I gave him a smile as he continued to walk me to class. At lunch time, the stares and whispers got worse. Something was definitely going on and I didn’t know what. Bora, Eun-Taek, In-Ho and I sat at our usual table when suddenly Min-Soo approached us with a group of girls.

“Your dad has some nerve, Seol.” Min-Soo said firmly.

I looked at her blankly.

“What’s your problem?!” Bora was sticking up for me.

“I hear your dad bought out my dad’s company. Is he going to fire everyone like he did at Sungon?!” Min-Soo was yelling and the cafeteria got quiet.

There were always rumors going around about my dad. None of them were ever true. My dad had never fired anyone.

“You better watch your mouth, Min-Soo!” Bora got up from her seat and was yelling back in her face.

“You’re lucky you have people who stick up for you. Just know they can’t be around to protect you all around the clock.”

That was a threat. Bora started to yell at Min-Soo as she walked away. What was going on? I suddenly felt worried for my dad. Things had never escalated to the point where the kids at our school would confront me. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ahjusshi was there to pick me up after school and he was especially quiet today. He would usually ask me how my day was and would tell me what my dad was up to and what I would want for dinner, but not today. This is how I knew things were really serious. When I got home, I ran to my dad’s office where he usually was, but he wasn’t there. I searched the main floor and could hear voices from the living room. My dad was talking to someone. I got to the living room and overheard my dad,

"...this is just temporary. When things quiet down, we won't need your services. I was assured from my colleague that you have had a lot of experience in this kind of field."

"Yes, sir. It's been awhile since I've had a job, but I assure you. I will do my best to protect your daughter."

I slowly walked into the room and saw my dad standing. There was someone else but their back was turned. My dad caught glimpse of m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter