Closer

I'd like that.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up the next morning, smiling. I was hugging the Totoro doll tightly and I brought myself back to last night when I was talking with Jung. I relived the moment when I saw him with his wet hair. I relived the moment when he looked somewhat relieved when he found out In-Ho wasn’t my boyfriend. I relived the moment when he told me he didn’t have a girlfriend… yet. I couldn’t get his deep stares out of my head- the intense gaze and softness that was behind them. I squealed into my pillow as I hugged Totoro tighter. My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Who is it?” I call with my face still in my pillow.

“It’s dad.”

I abruptly sit up. “Come in!”

My dad walked in the room wearing his suit and holding his briefcase. He was ready to leave for work. It was weird seeing my dad in my room. We always had talks in the dining room table over meals or the more serious talks in his office or living room.

“Hi honey.” He started as he put his briefcase on the floor and sat on my bed. “You know I care about you right?”

‘Oh no.’ I thought.

“One of the ajumma’s had something to say about you… and Jung.” He continued. “Apparently a couple of them have seen the both of you talking and even saw you downstairs with him.”

“Dad… we’re just talking. I talk to everyone who works here.”

“Seol. Jung is different. He’s a young man and I don’t want him to cross any boundaries with you.”

“We can’t even talk then?!” I was getting angry.

“No.” My dad was getting stern, which meant this conversation was coming to an end.

“Dad, for me to trust him with my life, I have to get to know him. Especially since I don’t know who wants me dead.”

“Seol! Nobody wants you dead!” He raised his voice and quickly felt bad. He rubbed his eyes. “You are only to talk to him when you need to go somewhere and that is it. If I find out you’re sneaking around and seeing him and going downstairs to see him, I will have to fire him. End of discussion.”

My dad picked up his briefcase and walked out of my room. As soon as he left I scrambled for my phone and sent a text message to Jung.

‘Hey… I was just wondering if my dad came to see you this morning?’

I stared at my phone to see if he was replying.

What felt like an eternity later, I got a response.

‘No. Why?’

‘Oh, just wondering. I’ll be leaving the house at 5. I’ll see you later?’

‘Sounds good.’

I re-read the text message. He wasn’t lying to me, right? I felt like the day was going by slower than usual. I should have said I was going to see a matinee. I started getting ready at 3 just to help ease my nerves. I changed clothes about a hundred times and couldn’t remember the last time I put on make-up, but I did tonight. Bora would’ve been so proud. I decided to go for a simple look and wore tight dark blue jeans, tight black knitted sweater with my red Canada goose jacket and black heels.

As soon as 5pm hit, I went downstairs and Jung was waiting by the door. He was wearing jeans with a crew neck sweater and a light jacket. I liked how casual he could dress, but still look so well put together. I examined him from head to toe. This was becoming a habit.

He opened the door for me and we went towards the car.

Jung started the car. “Where to?”

“Mmm. Hongdae?”

“Sounds good.”

Once we got to Hongdae, Jung kept his distance behind me. I was getting used to it, but I couldn’t help but think how much I wanted him walking beside me instead. I walked towards my favourite Italian restaurant and opened the door. A minute later, Jung walked in and saw me standing near the entrance.

“I’m hungry.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter