Chapter 3

Rejected Mate

Have you ever fallen for someone you never thought you would fall for? Like someone was playing with your emotions and you didn’t know what to do anymore? That’s how I felt in this situation.

I watched as a smile crept onto his face. I was relieved that he would accept me but I was wrong. His face immediately fell into a frown and deep into anger. My heart squeezed at the deep frown on his face, and tears tried to fall from my eyes. I needed to get far away from him as the tears threatened to fall. I walked into the hallway and held onto the wall as I took deep breaths, trying to recap what just happened.

I’ve found my mate but he was my dead boyfriend’s twin brother; the future alpha who hates me for something I didn’t do. I heard a growl behind me as I was pushed against the wall roughly. I was face to face with Jonghyun. His eyes were black and I couldn’t tell if it was because he was angry or excited.

“Ana,” he gruffly said to my face.

Our faces were inches apart as his hands rested on either side of my face. I could feel his breath against my eyebrows and lashes as he spoke to me. My heart was pounding and I could feel something stirring in me, making me excited by the short distance between us.

“Alpha Jonghyun,” I whispered to him.

He growled in satisfaction as one of his hands trailed down my side, gripping my waist.

“Mate,” He growled hungrily as he leaned closer and closer.

My breath was hitched in the back of my throat. I wasn’t sure what his intentions were or what I should do.

“Mine,” He muttered before he crashed his lips into mine.

It felt as though sparks erupted all around us as we kissed. I wrapped my arms around his neck, enjoying our lips moving in sync, pieced perfectly together like a jigsaw puzzle. He gripped my waist firmly, as though making sure I stay in place.

I felt his tongue brush against my bottom lip and I opened wide enough for him to enter. Our tongues danced together while my fingers toyed with his hair, getting lost in it. It felt as though I was on cloud nine while I enjoyed every second of us touching.

I wanted to run away with him. Just us against the world. I wanted to start over somewhere different and forget everything that ever happened. Forget about all the death and pain in the world. But I couldn’t forget about Jinki.

I opened my eyes, I never realized I had closed them and I was scared of what I saw before me. I was so lost in thought that for second I thought I was kissing Jinki. I gasped and pushed him off me as hard as I could. He stumbled back a little and looked at me with an agitated and angry expression.

“What was that for?” He asked in a deep husky voice. It made me want to attack his face again and just please him.

Then I remembered why I did it.

“For a second I thought you were Jinki,” I whispered as a single tear slid down my face.

Something must’ve clicked inside Jonghyun’s mind because for one second his eyes went wide and then dark with fury. He pinned me against the wall and growled in my face.

“You’re pathetic, worthless killer. I could never love someone who killed a part of me,” Every word he said sent a sharp pain into my heart.

He was killing me with his words.

“I, Kim Jonghyun reject you, Choi Ana as my mate.”

It felt as though someone was trying to rip my heart out of my chest. I didn’t realize he let go of me until I collapsed on the ground crying.

“Now you’ll know how I’ve felt for the past two years without my brother,” He snarled at me.

I looked up at him with my puffy eyes filled with tears.

“I didn’t kill him! Why would I kill someone I love?!” I screamed, trying to make him see that I wasn’t a killer, that I would never hurt someone I loved.

I could see he really wanted to hurt me, not only with his rejection, but with his words as well. They were seeping into my mind, tearing me apart as he spoke.

“Don’t give me that bull. You never loved him and I will never love you.” He snapped as he turned to walk away.

I sat on the ground, emotional and physical pain spilling from my body. I cried about everything that has happened to me. His rejection was so cruel and heartless; it was like he didn’t even care. How could he not believe me? We used to be best friends and he wants nothing to do with me.

The pain was deep and heavy in mind, holding me hostage in it’s painful abyss.  The way he looked at me with disgust, hurt and dread dancing around in his eyes, tore me apart.

I crawled down the steps toward the party; a few people looked at me with pity in their eyes, but the pity only lasted seconds, and it turned into disgust. I picked myself off the ground with my heart in my hands, walking toward the back door. As I felt the chilly wind hit my face, I dashed into the forest. A migraine began to burn at my temples.

I collapsed deep within the forest and screamed out in agony. There was a searing heat shooting up through my bones.

I was shifting.

I was without my mate by my side to comfort and help me through the process, without my mate I could possibly die. The sound of my bones painfully breaking and rearranging rang in my ears. My sharp cries shot out into the quiet night like a blade through butter. I tried to stand up but my aching body wouldn’t allow it. I closed my eyes as steaming tears fell. Suddenly I heard a voice. Unrecognizable and quiet.

“It’s a she wolf, she is shifting.”

More contortions were followed by the feeling of bullets piercing my skin.

“Where is her mate? They only shift once they find their mate,” Another voice asked.

“Jonghyun!” I cried in sorrow and agonizing pain.

Voices were in dialogue.

“She’s a pretty she wolf.”

“She is the mate of the future Alpha Jonghyun.”

I felt myself grow and my clothes shred apart. My fingernails and hands grew as fur replaced my smooth skin. I howled up to the moon.

“She’s going to die.”

From somewhere in the dark, I heard rustling and movement. I lifted my eyes a little to see a giant dark brown wolf staring down at me.

It whined as if it were ushering me to be calm. I whimpered as the transformation was coming to a completion. Inside my head was a high pitched screeching mixed with the sounds of a lone wolf.

“Jonghyun!” I cried out into the forestry, wishing that I could go to him.

The wolf next to me my face and rubbed up against my neck. It soothed me a little.

“Just calm down, the pain will be over soon,” were the last words I heard in my head before I fell into darkness.