Chapter 13

Rejected Mate

The wolf tried snapping at my neck but I kicked it off me and stood up growling. The wolf lunged at me but I jumped out the way. I was surprised because I was never really trained in combat. I snapped at its tail but it whined and kicked me in the face.

Another grey wolf came up to me and snapped at my neck. I howled in pain and tried to fight but it was no use. The other snapped at my neck as they began pulling me. As they both fought at me I felt like I wasn’t going to make it out of this fight to see my baby girl again, and my heart started throbbing in fear and powerlessness. I thought I would never see light again, but two pack members appeared at my side and began snapping at the wolves. I limped away towards the pack house and noticed Chae Rin on Suho’s back, bloody and Min was holding Jang Min in her arms. They ran over to me with terror in their eyes.

“Ana! You have to take Chae Rin and your daughter. Kris wishes to kill you and Chae Rin and take his daughter away. You have to take them and run away, far from here,” I whimpered and nudged at Suho.

“Ana we will be fine, if I don’t see you again I just want to say you’re a really special girl and I hope you can see that,” he smiled as he tossed Chae Rin onto my back.

“Ana I hope you can find that special someone who can give you the world,” Min smiled sadly as she bundled Jang Mi up in blankets and places the blanket ends in my mouth.

I nodded and ran towards the forest, ignoring the searing pain in my neck and leg. I knew I was losing blood so I had to move quickly. I ran and ran as fast as I could, I didn’t know where I was going but my wolf seemed to know.

It seemed like I was running forever and my energy was draining. Just as I was about to stop, I heard growling and paws pounding into the ground in the distance. They must’ve followed me. I pushed on but soon they caught up. One of the wolves bit down hard into my bloody leg. I whined and stopped as I laid Chae Rin and Jang Mi down on the ground and shifted. I looked at Chae Rin and saw that she was passed out cold.

I inched over to Jang Mi and grabbed her as I held her tightly. She began crying because she was startled. Wolves were circling us and growling. I smiled at my daughter as I kissed her forehead. My eyelids became heavy and the last thing I heard was growling and whining.

****

Most people fear death, they fear the darkness surrounding it. The idea of your soul leaving this world to go somewhere else. Before I used to welcome death and think about it all the time, I was not scared of the pain, I endured it every day. Now the idea of leaving what is most precious to me scares me. I can’t be dead. I can’t leave Jang Mi alone.

I looked around in the darkness and it was nothing there. I felt something cold gripping onto me, trying to pull me back but I fought back. I noticed a white light at the end of a tunnel. I tried going towards it but I was losing a battle. I had no strength to fight back anymore. Just as I was about to give in, I heard Jang Mi’s small cries in the light. She was my strength. I fought with all I had. Closer and closer the light came until I could feel it on my fingertips.

I opened my eyes and was blinded by a bright light. I tried to shield my eyes with my hand but my muscles were stiff. I tried to move my neck but it still hurt. I heard Jang Mi’s cries but this time they were closer. I shot up and looked around the room to notice my mother was holding Jang Mi.

“Darling you can’t make any sudden movements you might hurt yourself,” my mother said as she rocked Jang Mi but that only made her cries worse.

“Give her to me,” I said firmly.

I didn’t want any of my family touching my daughter, they treated me like nothing and I don’t want Jang Mi to be treated like that. My mother handed her to me and she instantly calmed down.

“Get out,” I said quietly as I looked down.

“What did you say dear?” she said concerned.

“I said get out! I want nothing to do with any of you!!” I screamed which caused Jang Mi to begin screaming.

I shushed her and didn’t even bother to look up at my mother. I knew she would make the right choice and leave me. As soon as I heard the door close I sighed. If my mother was here, then that means I was in my old pack. A place I really didn’t want to be in. Everyone who ever hated me was here and even worse, Jonghyun was here.

Jang Mi made soft noises as I rocked her to sleep, when she fell asleep I became so engrossed in my thoughts that I didn’t notice it when Jonghyun walked in.

I looked up at him but didn’t say a word. He sat down in the seat next to me and sighed, “Chae Rin’s pack has been destroyed, we couldn’t find any survivors, they were either dead or went rogue, we will be sure to look out for them,” he said.

My heart dropped into my stomach, the pack was gone. Chae Rin and I had nothing to go back to. What about Suho and Min? Did they die trying to save their pack?

“A lot of people have been wanting to come in here, your dad, brother, my parents, Naeul, various pack members and I don’t think it was going to be a friendly visit from them,” he growled.

I noticed dark bags under his beautiful brown eyes,

“How come they haven’t come in?” I asked.

“I’ve been guarding your door, not letting anyone in except the doctor and your mother. She’s been taking care of the child and feeding her,” He balled his fist up as he looked down at Jang Mi.

“Where is your partner?” He asked.

I looked up at him with confusion.

“Your partner, the one you had this child with, the one that’s been causing you pleasure and me pain,” He growled.

I felt anger building up inside of me. How dare he say something like that! The only pleasure I have gotten out of these few months was giving birth to my daughter, “I was ,” I hissed.

He looked up at me with shock written all over his face, “What?”

“I was beaten, I was abused, I was tortured and I was ! Pleasure did not exist after I left that night, only more pain came. Kris would drag me to his room, pulling out hair in the process and do his business then throw me away. I cried and cried all night when he took my innocence and he me when I was in heat, when I was three times more likely to get pregnant. That is why Jang Mi is in this world, she was a beautiful outcome that came from a terrible event,” tears rolled down my face.

It was like the moon goddess wouldn’t let me have a break, I was destined to be hit the rest of my life.

“Ana I’m sorry,” I heard him say.

“I don’t care about your apology. You didn’t even make an effort to find me.” I hissed.

His head shot up and an angry sound escaped his throat, “I have been looking for you ever since you left, not once did I stop looking. I’ve led search parties, I killed rogues. I went to almost every pack asking for you. I felt you screaming in my head and it fueled my search. I forced the people that hate you to search for you, do you know how hard that was? Do you know what my parents asked me when I walked in with your bloody body in my arms? They said why didn’t you finish the job?” He growled.

I stood in shock as Jang Mi let out a high pitched squeal and began crying. I couldn’t move a muscle, I couldn’t comfort her and I was in too much shock.

Jonghyun looked up at me and then back down at Jang Mi. Finally, he picked her up from out of my arms and began rocking her to calm her down.

I looked over and smiled as Jang Mi reached up and tried to grab Jonghyun’s face. His smile went from ear to ear as Jang Mi smiled and squealed.

He looked like he would be a great father someday.