Chapter 9

Far From Paradise

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of the bells ringing. I struggled to find the light switch of my room and squinted when I managed to turn the lights on. I put my hair into a lazy bun before dragging my feet towards the monitor in the living room.

Everyone piled in on by one, and I blushed a little at the sight of Hoya. Myungsoo then walked in with his bed hair that was absolutely adorable, Woohyun was rubbing his eyes, Dongwoo had his hair tied up like a fountain, Sungyeol was yawning and Sungjong looked wide awake with his face mask on. Sunggyu was the last to come in. He didn't even look awake.

“What the hell? It's only 7am! Can't this announcement wait a couple of hours?” Sunggyu complained.

Once everyone was in the room, the monitor flashed on. The same man was there. He looked the same as usual, with the same uniform on.

 

“Today's your lucky day. To celebrate the Christmas season, we're allowing you all a day outside.”

I could feel the atmosphere lighten at the idea of being able to go outside.

“Really?!” Sungjong said and jumped up and down.

He sure is an early riser.

“You are able to go anywhere you want, but there will be tracking devices on your wrists and men keeping an eye on you close by. You won't even know they're there. You are forbidden to associate with anyone you know. For example, you cannot go to your house and visit parents or friends.”

“Awh...” Dongwoo pouted. “My mom...”

“Your family gave you some clothes to wear and your wallets so you can live a normal life for today.”

“We'll be alone the whole day? That's no fun...I want to see my friends,” Sungyeol said.

“No, you will have partners,” the man replied.

 

I felt someone take my hands. Sungjong on the left, Myungsoo on the right.

I saw Hoya burn holes through Myungsoo's head while everyone else glanced at me.

I awkwardly took my hands back and laced them together in front of me.

“I will be choosing your partners randomly by picking a number.”

The man put his hand in a hat and pulled out a paper.

He showed it to us.

#23

He picked up another paper and showed us.

#11

Dongwoo sighed and sulked on the couch. “Fantastic.”

“So, Lee Howon and Jang Dongwoo will be together today,” the monitor man said.

“Hoya...call me Hoya.”

 

The next two numbers were #7 and #15. Or Sunggyu and Sungjong.

“I have to be with this little brat all day?!” Sunggyu pointed to Sungjong.

“Don't act like I want to be with you too, old man.”

“Yah...”

 

So now I was going to be partners with either Woohyun, Myungsoo or Sungyeol.

“Next is #3 Nam Woohyun.”

I could feel the tension in the room rise.

“And....” the man struggled to get the paper unfolded. “#8 Yoon Bomi.”

I would ironically get partnered up with the one person I'm not that close to.

Myungsoo threw his hands up and sighed angrily, while glaring at Woohyun.

“Looks like we're spending the day together, buddy!” Sungyeol threw an arm around Myungsoo who looked like he was not looking forward to it.

Hoya stared at Woohyun intensively as if to warn him.

Woohyun just ignored them and looked at me. We met eyes and he gave me a small smile.

 

“Your clothes are in the supply room and some guards will be escorting you all out. They'll arrive in about an 2 hours so you have about that much time to get ready.”

Before we could ask any questions, the monitor shut off and it was quiet in the room.

“I call the bathroom first!” Sungyeol yelled and ran.

“Hey wait! I have no wash my face mask off!” Sungjong screamed after him.

“And I have to spend a whole day with him? Oh dear lord...” Sunggyu muttered to himself while massaging his temples and leaving the room.

Hoya walked up to Woohyun and opened his mouth to say something but he stopped and turned to go into the curtain room which I later found out was the supply room. Whenever we get our new toiletries, they'll be placed in there for us to retrieve.

 

Hoya walked out with a small bag, I'm assuming is his clothes, and left.

I followed suit and found my bag with my number on it with a pair of boots beside it. I searched in the bag and smiled at the clothes. My mom does know me too well. I even noticed that the clothes all still had their tags on them. She must've went out and bought these. I frowned. Before I was confined here, money was tight at my house. I played my violin in cafes to get a little extra money to help out my parents. I wonder how they're doing now.

“You okay?” a voice from behind me asked.

I jumped and turned around. It was Dongwoo.

“Huh? Yeah I'm fine. I just...miss my family.”

“You can say that again. I'm dying to see my mom.”

“You'll be out of here soon. Don't worry,” I smiled and turned to leave but Dongwoo grabbed my hand.

“Be careful today, okay?” he told me.

I turned to look at him. His eyes were warm.

I nodded and he gave me a soft kiss on my forehead.

I stood shocked for a moment but left in a daze.

 

“You look like you've seen a ghost,” Myungsoo commented. He was the only one in the room.

“I'm fine.”

“I'm kind of upset right now,” he confessed and my cheek.

“Why?! We get to go out today!”

“Not with you.”

I frowned. “Don't think like that. Just be happy we get to see daylight today. Even if it's for little while.”

“But I can only think about you and that if I was your partner, I would've taken you out on an awesome date.”

I smiled. It's been awhile since I've dated. I miss having that butterfly feeling.

 

Dongwoo walked out of the curtain room and eyed Myungsoo before leaving.

“I'll see you later,” I said to Myungsoo and left to go get ready.

I brushed my hair down and took out the clothes my mom got me.

Black leggings, a long sweater, a white trench coat and gloves and a white hat. I assume the weather definitely got colder. There was also a tiny brown side bag and in it had money.

I put on the clothes and stared at myself in the mirror. It's been awhile since I've worn normal clothes. It feels different.

I put on some light make-up and noticed it was almost time to go. I quickly slipped on my boots, and slung the bag over my shoulder and walked out of the room. Everyone was already waiting in the living room. Looks like they're just as eager to get out of here as I am.

 

They hadn't noticed that I came in yet and I looked around at all of their clothes, getting a hint of what their styles were.

Myungsoo wore a black trench coat with black pants...and black shoes.

Hoya wore a purple zip-up hoodie and baggy pants with a white hat.

Dongwoo wore a green sweatshirt with jeans.

Sunggyu wore a red and tan leather man’s jacket with dark blue jeans.

Sungyeol wore a gray trench coat and jeans.

Sungjong looked amazing with his black jacket, grey scarf and boots.

And Woohyun wore a low, white v-neck shirt exposing some of his chest with a black leather jacket and skinny jeans.

 

The elevator dinged and 2 guards stepped out holding metal bracelets. They were dressed casually.

They placed it on each of our wrists. When they got to me, everyone stared at me. I felt awkward so I looked down at the ground.

“Bomi-ah! You look so cute! Come here!” Sungjong pulled me into a bear hug and squeezed me.

Everyone kept straight faces except for Woohyun. He was....smiling. It looked kinda nice.

 

We all stepped into the elevator and it was awkward since we were all huddled together in a tight space. The person behind me, sneakily grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together. I didn't know who it was and I didn't want to make it obvious by turning around so I just faced forward. I took note that his hands were a little rough.

Instead of just going up and down, the elevator went down then left to right then down again. I've never been in an elevator like this before.

The the doors opened, I was expecting for it to be a hallway or a room but it was outside in an alleyway.

I was the first to step out and everyone followed. I turned around but everyone was all spread out so I still didn't know who held my hand.

 

There were two other guards in the alley and were also dressed casually as well.

“You all are to report back here at 10pm sharp. If not, we'll bring you back here, by force. So remember this location,” one of them said.

“Get with your partners and you're free to move,” another spoke.

“What's the point of these partners anyways?” Sungyeol asked.

They shrugged. “We don't know anything. We're just doing what we are asked.”

“Let's go!” Sungyeol took Myungsoo's arm and ran away. One guard followed them.

“Come on grandpa,” Sungjong said and started walking.

“Seriously...” Sunggyu muttered and left with another guard.

Hoya and Dongwoo walked away together with a large space in between them without saying a word. I feel like those two will be the most awkward.

 

Woohyun turned to me. “What do you want to do?”

As if on cue, my stomach growled.

I looked down in embarrassment.

He chuckled and I looked up.

“Let's go eat.”

We walked out of the alley and looked up at the building. It was a police building but every floor had windows. So I suppose where we are confined is right in the middle.

The sidewalks weren't too crowded yet so we took our time to find somewhere to eat. I closed my eyes as I felt the cold wind blow my hair in every direction. It felt good to feel nature on my skin again. The sun shone brightly as well and I smiled.

“Feels good, doesn't it?” Woohyun asked.

I turned to look at him and he was staring at me.

I nodded. “I really want to go get out of there. I miss my life.”

“Me too.”

It was silent between us but it wasn't awkward. I feel like Woohyun isn't the type of person to need words to communicate. He seems more of a man of action and feeling.

 

“Hey...” he spoke up.

“Hmmm?”

“This is probably the only time we'll be able to go out for awhile.”

I nodded. I didn't know where he was going with this.

“Let's make today worth while, okay?” he held up his pinky.

I smiled and hooked mine with his and our thumbs touched.

“So let's start our date!” he said and pulled on my wrist.

“Date?!”

===========

muahahaha~ to all of those people dying to have woohyun show up more...anticipate the next chapter! :D :)

sorry i didn't update all this week! it's the end of the semester so exams are crazy~~

love you all for subscribing and commenting! <33333333

pyeong~~