Chapter 1

Far From Paradise

I woke up with a huge headache as I squinted my eyes to get a better look at my surroundings. But the first thing I noticed was that I was laying on the floor and my wrists were locked together with a strong metal chain. It was practically impossible to get them loose. My ankles were also together with a metal chain. What is this?

I sat and looked up and saw three small monitors, all facing different directions. I turned my head to look around and saw guys that were in my state as well. We were all laying in a circle around the monitors. They were all awake. Looks like I was the last to wake up. Some of them looked oddly familiar, some I haven't seen once in my life.

I closed my eyes to try to remember what exactly happened.

 

“Eunjo unni. Wake up! I'm hungry. I want some food,” I shake my best friend with closed eyes as she's lying beside me.

“Unni!”

No answer.

“Unni!” I shot up to glare at her but all I see is blood. And lots of it.

Then I scream.

 

“Why am I here?!” I ask the officers looking at me through the glass window as I'm sitting in the interrogation room.

“Miss, you're a suspect on this murder,” the police officer tells me through the intercom.

“What?! Why would I kill my best friend and go to sleep beside her?!” I yell at him.

“Calm down. We just want you to answer some questions.”

“No. Because I. Did. Not. Kill. Her.”

The police officer sighs and nods his head at someone.

“Have some hot chocolate to calm your nerves. Everything will be fine.”

The aura is a bit strange as I take a sip of the contents in the cup. Little did I know that what was in that cup, wasn't all hot chocolate.

 

“Ah...seriously,” I muttered as I remembered what happened. So that's how I got here. The damn police put me to sleep. I looked down again and looked at my clothes. I was wearing a dark gray fitted t-shirt with a white #8 on it and black cargo pants with white shoes.

“What the hell is this?!” the boy beside me yelled. He was the first one to speak out of everyone. I turned to look at him and he looked very stressed as he tried to escape the chains. His number was 15. He was wearing the same clothes as me. In fact, everyone was. I remembered that he goes to my school but he's in Eunjo's class. Sungjong I think? Eunjo absolutely despises him because he's rich and snobby. Or so she says.

Everyone was still silent as they took in their surroundings. The ceiling was quite low and the only sources of light was the light bulb in the center of the room and the lamps on the side tables by some couches. To me, it looked like a living room, a very boring living room. Everything was gray. It's like I'm living in a silent movie.

 

Then I started to study the faces of the other people in the room. My eyes went to #15 again. He had calmed down now, and just looked really angry.

I looked at the next guy, #3. He looked really familiar. I think I remember seeing some pictures of him on Eunjo unni's phone before. She also talked about him a lot. Well she always talked about guys. Just a typical playgirl. Was it Woohyuk? Hyunwoo? I don't remember. But this guy looked pretty calm and charming.

The next guy was someone I've never seen before. #10. I hope I learn their names soon. I can't remember these numbers. He was pursing his lips as he was scanning the faces in the room. Our eyes met and he looked away with a bite of his lip. I thought he was kinda cute. His cheeks were chubby.

My gaze went to the next person and my eyes almost bulged out of their sockets. Eunjo unni's brother was here too. His name is Myungsoo. I've never really seen him around Unni's house. He was mostly in his room or out with his friends. This is the first time I've seen him out of his room. Our eyes met as well and he gave me a small shrug. I shrugged back. I took note that his number was 2.

My eyes shifted to the next person, #23, and I thought about where I've seen him before. Bells rung in my head as I remembered. It was Eunjo unni's ex-boyfriend, Hoya, from 2 years ago. I only met him once when I ran into them at the mall. I tried to avoid him as much as possible when she was dating him. I heard he was bad news. But he was handsome in my opinion.

The next person was already staring at me as I looked over at him. His eyes were so alluring and deep that for some reason I had to look down. His shirt read #11. I recognized him as a sunbae from school that had already graduated. But his name fails to come to my head. I especially don't remember him being blonde in high school.

The last person was the one sitting beside me on the right. He was staring down at the ground with a puzzled expression. His number was 7. I've never seen him before either. He looked very mature. Probably the oldest out of everyone here.

That's when I noticed something. I'm the only girl.

 

The monitors in the center of the room flashed on and a man I recognized as the head chief in the police department's face came up.

“Great, now that you all are awake, I'll inform you on your confinement.”

Confinement? And how the heck did he know we are awake?

I looked around and noticed little cameras outlining the perimeter of the room. Just in here, there were about 10.

“As all of you know, you all are suspects for killing Kim Eunjo.”

My eyes widened as I looked around the room again. So someone in here is the one who murdered my best friend? Who was right beside me?!

Then I realized that the other people in the room are probably suspecting the same thing about me. So I opened my mouth to say something but Hoya beat me to it.

“I told you. I didn't ing do it!” he yelled.

The man on the monitor ignored him.

 

“You will be confined here for a minimum of 90 days. If we still haven't figured out the murder, then it will be extended for as long as we need.”

“What?!” everybody yelled.

“Wait til my dad hears about this...” Sungjong muttered.

“He has. Actually, all of your parents have. We have the papers to prove it,” he held up a large stack of papers.

Why would my mom sign to agree to something like this?

 

“In the kitchen, there is a schedule you all have to obey to. That includes meal times, shower times and bed times. You don't have to follow it exactly but please try to be as close as possible. It makes the job a littler easier for us. And the faster we figure out the murder, the sooner you all get to go home. Your food will be delivered through an elevator. Everyday will be different, according to the schedule. Any questions so far?”

Silence.

“Okay, moving on. Every couple of days, there will be an announcement. You must report to these monitors when the bells signal you. We will keep you all posted on anything you need to know. If you couldn't tell, there are camera's watching you. About 100 in this whole sector. So don't you hormonal men try to do anything hasty to the pretty lady over there. We will see it, stop it and put you on trial. Got it?”

I turned bright red as everyone turned to stare at me.

“There is at least one camera in every room excluding the bathroom. Don't even try to break them. It's impossible. Any questions?”

“Why are you doing this? How is this going to help solve the murder?” Myungsoo asked.

“That is something I can't share.”

Myungsoo scoffed.

“Don't you think we have a right to know?” #7 asked.

“You will know. Soon. Anymore questions?”
“I have one,” quiet guy #3 spoke up. “Are you going to ing let us out of these god damn chains?”

“Of course. If that's all the questions then you all are free to move about the area. You all are given a room. The door has your name on it which has clothes and daily necessities which will be replaced every week. Oh, and there is only one exit, and trust me, you all won't be getting to it. If you need to consult me about anything, just touch the red button on a monitor and I will be able to speak with you. Thank you for your cooperation, and let the confinement begin.”

 

The screen turned black and it was silent. At the same time, the chains on our wrists and ankles unlocked and fell to the ground.

“Finally...” someone muttered.

“This is some bull,” Hoya said and walked off in the direction of the rooms. There was only one hallway. The other side of the living room was an elevator. I suppose that's where the food is coming from.

We all watched him walk off.

I didn't know what to do at the moment. For some reason this felt like a dream. This cannot be reality. I pinched my arm and winced. This was real. Totally real. After a moment of thinking, I decided to play along with it. Because in fact, I did not commit that crime. Someone else did, and they could be in this very confinement home for all I know. Or maybe everyone in this place is innocent. Who knows? But all I know is that I mustn’t make any friends. I'm in this alone because the murderer knows that I was there that night. He might come for me too.

 

“I guess we have no other choice then. Woohyun-ah, let's go find our rooms,” #7 said and walked off with the calm guy which I suppose is named Woohyun. So that's what his name was. They know each other?!

“Sunggyu hyung, don't you think this is pointless?” Woohyun asked #7, Sunggyu.

Their voices faded off as they walked down the hallway.

Everyone left the living room one by one until I was alone still sitting on the ground. And that's what I'll be for the next 90 days.

Alone.

 

===============

WAHH~ over 100 subbies and i haven't even posted the first chappie yet?! I LOVE YOU GUYSSSS.

well here's chapter one! i hope you all like and it pulls you in. :D

tell me what you all think!

pyeong~