Chapter 18

Far From Paradise

A second later, the elevator doors opened, giving us the only source of light. We slowly but surely made our way to it. I looked at Myungsoo in confusion, but he looked straight ahead with no expression on his face. I could see cold sweat starting to build on his forehead.

Sunggyu leaned on the wall of the elevator with a small smirk while he looked at Myungsoo.

When the elevator stopped and the doors opened, the first thing I saw was my mom's happy face. I ran out and gave her a hug.

“This is it right? No more going back?” I asked her.

She nodded and cried happy tears. “I think so.”

 

Before I could even say bye to anyone, the guards started dragging me and my mom away. I looked back and saw everyone watching us being dragged away.

Why is it only us?

Once we got home my mom and I sat down to talk.

“Why are they allowing us to leave? Wasn't there a 90 days rule or something?” I asked.

My mom just shrugged. “They won't tell us the exact reason. Something about everyone is safer outside of the confinement rather than inside. More specifically you.”

“Then why is everyone out? And not just me.”

“Because they found the murderer. Well they think they did. They need to search for something in the confinement so everyone was ordered to leave. But I'm sure you won't need to go back. They can't keep you in there now that you're out and they found the murderer.”

I didn't want to ask this question. But I did anyways. “Who is it?”

I was a little disappointed but relieved at the same time at her answer. “I don't know.”

 

My mom stood up and clapped her hands. “What do you want to eat? I'll make it for you!”

“It's kind of random, but I want some spaghetti.”

“Spaghetti? We have all the ingredients except for noodles. Let's run to the store around the corner. Come on.”

“I don't want to go mom. I'll stay home.”

“No, you're coming with me.”

“I'm not really in the state to let people see me right now.”

She looked at my exhausted face and dark bags and sighed. “Okay. Just lock the door and don't answer it, okay?”

I nodded.

“It'll take like 10 minutes. I'll be quick,” she said as she grabbed her car keys.

 

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. It was quiet except for the clock ticking on the wall. It's really over now. No more being trapped, no more being confused on my feelings, no more-

Knocks on the door cut off my thoughts.

My eyes widened and I hid behind the couch. They had arrested the killer right? The curiosity was killing me. I'll know soon enough but for now, I have to hide.

“Bomi-ah! Open the door!” the voice yelled. “Please!”

It was Sunggyu.

I walked to the door and yelled back, “I thought you said you were done protecting me!”

“I lied.”

“How do I know you're not gonna kill me?!”

“If I wanted to kill you, I wouldn't knock on your door and be so obvious that I was here.”

I looked through the peep hole and he looked desperate. I opened the door but didn't unlock the screen door.

“He's coming for you,” he said.

“Wait what?”

“Open the door so I can explain. We don't have much time.”

 

I opened the screen door and let him in.

We sat on the couch.

“Explain. Now,” I demanded.

“What's happening to you is the same as what happened to Eunjo.”

“...what happened?”

“It's true that we did meet a couple weeks before she died. We met so we could talk about this. Myungsoo is crazy. Like crazy in the head.”

My heart dropped at his name.

“But he told me that you two met at the club to-”

“Lies. Me and Eunjo had no intimate relationship at all. She wanted me to do something about Myungsoo. To stop him somehow. He was following her around, taking pictures of her when she was sleeping, he eventually confessed his feelings to her.”

I gasped. “You mean, Myungsoo was...”

“In love with his own sister. Yeah. It got to the point of obsession.”

I thought about the night in the confinement when I heard someone sneaking into my room and how I found the cover of a camera lens. It all started to come together.

I shook my head. This can't be true. But Sunggyu didn't look like he was playing a joke or anything. He looked dead serious.

 

“Even though I wanted to, I couldn't say anything. Even though Myungsoo is crazy, she still cared for him like a brother and didn't want to see him hurt. She really does love Myungsoo. But not like how he loved her. I promised her I wouldn't tell. Even though Eunjo is dead, it's the least I could do. She didn't deserve it.”

“That's why you couldn't tell me...”

“I wanted to. I really did,” he said looking guilty.

“So Myungsoo killed her?” I asked, eyes watering.

Sunggyu looked almost apologetic. “Out of anger. He found out how Eunjo was so in love with Woohyun that he got so angry, he killed her without thinking it through.”

“Then why didn't Myungsoo have any anger towards Woohyun in the confinement?”

“He's good at acting, isn't he?” Sunggyu smiled a bitter smile.

“...you think Myungsoo is trying to kill me too?” I asked.

“Well not for the same reason because you indeed chose him. But I'm pretty sure the police are about 100% positive it's Myungsoo so he's going to try to get to you as fast as possible so no other guy can.”

I started to sob as Sunggyu rubbed my back.

 

Suddenly, someone kicked the door open and Myungsoo stood there with a piercing gaze and gun in his hand.

Sunggyu stood up and blocked me.

“You sick person! You fell in love with your own sister!” I yelled at him.

“Half-sister,” he corrected me and pointed the gun straight at us. “But that's all in the past now.”

“Don't do this Myungsoo-ah. It's not gonna make you feel any better,” Sunggyu said.

“I don't want to kill anyone, Sunggyu. You're just in the way.”

He shot the gun and it hit Sunggyu's shoulder. He fell down to the ground in pain.

“Run...” he managed to say.

 

The first thing that came to my mind was the back door. The front door was definitely out of reach and if I go upstairs, I'll be trapped. I quickly turned around and sprinted towards the door. I tried to open it but it was locked. I fumbled with the lock for a couple of seconds until it opened. But by then, Myungsoo was already behind me.

“No!” Sunggyu screamed as I felt a cloth cover my mouth and nose.

Before my vision turned black, Myungsoo whispered sinisterly in my ear.

“You're mine.”

====================

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~~~~ and no she didn't die. just passed out. lol.

y myungsoo with a gun. OH YEAH. he should seriously be a cop in his next drama. so hot. lol.