Chapter 4

Far From Paradise

I walked back to my room, trembling a little at Sunggyu's statement. I sat down on my bed and stared at the floor for a minute before someone knocked on my door. I stood up and took a deep breath before walking over to it. I opened the door to find a pouting Sungyeol.

“I'm bored.”

I raised an eyebrow at him.

“And...?”

“I want you to fix that,” he said bluntly. “Can I come in?”

“I don't know Sungyeol, I mean--” I was cut off when he saw my certificates on the wall and pushed pass me to look at them.

“Daebak! You won all these awards? Violin...spelling bee...violin...violin...You like the violin don't you?” he turned to me.

I nodded.

“Ah! Let's play a game. I'm so bored,” he said again as he started pouting...again.

“Okay, fine. What game?”

“The pushing game!”

 

We played for a couple minutes until I started to get frustrated.

“This isn't fair! You're taller and stronger than I am!” I yelled.

“But girls have better balance than guys!”

“Says who?!”

“Me.”

I rolled my eyes and tried to push him but his reflexes were fast and I ended up crashing into his chest.

“I don't want to play this anymore,” I said.

“One more round,” he pleaded.

I sighed and put my hands up. He tried to push me and started to lean forward like he was going to fall.

“I lose,” he whispered and leaned down to kissed me on the cheek.

My eyes widened.

“Bye bye! Thanks for playing with me!” he ran out of my room before I could say anything.

I stared after him and touched the spot where he kissed me. It was still tingling.

I shook my head as Sunggyu's words replayed through my mind.

I wouldn't trust people so easily.

I wouldn't trust people so easily.

I wouldn't trust people so easily.

 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard music coming from the room next door, aka Sungjong's room, aka the diva's room.

I started to get angry because he told me not to play my violin so loud when he's blasting his music like no tomorrow. I put on the best angry face I could manage and stormed out of my room. I banged the side of my fist on his door.

“Yah!”

No answer.

Of course there would be no answer. He probably can't hear me.

I decided to just open the door. My eyes widened at the sight in front of me.

Sungjong was in front of a mirror, dancing. To a girl group song. Gee.

I looked around his room and noticed the vintage walls, low chandelier and very high class furniture.

So it's true. He's a rich kid.

I stared at him as he danced. He was so into it that he hadn't even noticed me yet.

I was getting kind of jealous. I can't move like that. I wish I could move like that. How can a guy dance a girl group song better than a girl?

 

He did an exaggerated turn and we locked eyes. He stood frozen as he stared at me. He quickly turned off the music and started stuttering.

“I-I can explain...”

“Explain what? It was good. Really good.” I smiled at him.

His face seemed to soften a bit. “...really?”

I nodded.

“Why do you look so flustered?” I asked.

He walked over to me and pulled me into his room and closed the door.

“Nobody knows about this. I kind of have a thing for girl group dances. If anyone saw me, they'd think I'm gay. I can't have my friends or family seeing that. So, it's kind of a secret.”

“Why should this be a secret? You're really good. I'm kind of jealous. Flaunt your skills.”

“Thanks but you don't know what happened when a couple of guys at my school caught me. They were really homophobic and beat me.”

I frowned. “I'm sorry. You didn't have to share that with me.”

He shook his head. “It feels good to tell someone. But please don't tell the other guys.”

I nodded immediately. Poor guy, he's traumatized because of his past and is scared to let anyone know about his interest in girl group dances. I don't know what I'd do if I had to hide my passion for the violin.

 

“You know...” I spoke up. “When you're not rude, you're actually pretty okay.”

He smiled. It was the most cutest thing I've ever seen. “Thanks,” he flipped his hair. “I aim to please.”

I chuckled. “Can you teach me how to dance?”

His face brightened and he clapped. “Of course! I'm excited. It's my first time teaching someone.”

 

After a while, I fell to the floor exhausted.

“Why is dancing this hard?” I asked in between breathes.

“Girl, this is only the beginning. Wait til you get to a song like Huh by 4minute.”

I groaned and stood up.

“I think I'm going to go take a rest now. If you need anyone to vent out your dancing to, I'm right next door.” I muttered and started to walk to the door.

“Wait, Bomi.”

“Hmmm?”

I turned around and he crashed us together in a hug.

“Thank you,” he whispered in my ear.

We pulled apart and suddenly my image of Sungjong just got manlier.

 

The day went by and I looked at the clock.

7:31pm

I quickly ran out of my room and stood in front of the bathroom with my arms crossed.

Hoya walked out of his room and his eyes widened when he saw me.

“What are you doing? I'm before you,” he said to me and tried to go pass me.

He moved to the left, I moved to the left.

He moved to right, I moved to the right.

He sighed and stared at me.

“What?!”

“I'm not letting you shower until you promise me that you won't take up all of my time again,” I said.

“Fine fine fine. I promise. Now move.”

I shook my head. “Pinky promise. If you break it, your revenge will come when you least expect it.”

“Better not do anything to my food!” he pointed a finger at me.

I held up my pinky. He rolled his eyes and we hooked pinkies.

 

“If you're so concerned about your shower time, why don't we just shower together?” he stepped forward with a smirk. “You know, save water.”

“Wh-what?! You ert!” I hit his chest, which was rock hard.

He took another step closer and I stumbled backwards into the dark bathroom with his arm wrapped around my waist.

“Yah!” I yelled when I noticed that he was kicking the bathroom door shut.

But before it closed, a foot stopped it.

 

My savior cleared his throat.

“Yo, didn't you hear the dude on the screen. Don't touch the girl,” Dongwoo said with a menacing glare.

“Is this any of your business?” Hoya glared right back.

“When I see an innocent girl being taken advantage of, then I make it my business.”

Hoya smirked again. “You have a thing for her?” he asked, tightening his hold around my waist.

“And what if I do?”

“Well too bad,” Hoya let go of me and bumped chests with Dongwoo to make him step back. “I saw her first man. Dibs.”

Dongwoo pulled him by the collar and pushed him into the hallway.

“Like I would let her be in the hands of such a dumb delinquent. What's 8 times 9?”

Hoya fumed and charged for him but I ran to Dongwoo and pulled him into my room and quickly shut the door.

 

“I really hate that guy...” Dongwoo muttered and glared at the door.

“Welcome to the club.”

We stayed quiet and listened for Hoya's actions. He heard him slam the door of the bathroom shut and the water turn on. At this rate, all the doors in this place are going to fall off.

Dongwoo put his hands behind his head and started pacing.

“I really need to calm down.”

“How can I help?” He did save me from that ert.

“Can you...” he walked to my bed and picked up the violin. “...play this for me?”

I nodded and sat down on my bed. Dongwoo sat on the chair in front of my desk and watched me with curiosity.

 

I raised my bow and played one of my favorite pieces. It's originally a duet song but I didn't really care. It sounded great with just me playing.

I glanced at Dongwoo as I played. I could tell by the expression on his face that Dongwoo might look tough, but he's actually really sensitive. The way his eyes softened and the way his lips curled in that grin made me smile and I played with more passion.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Dongwoo stand up and sit behind me on the bed. He rested his chin on my shoulder and whispered, “It's beautiful.”

I could feel my face heating up as I continued to play.

 

The next thing that happened was totally unexpected. Someone else in this confinement home started playing the violin. The same exact piece I was playing but just the other part as if to complete the duet. I could tell by their playing that they're on a whole different level from me. And their playing seemed sad, and rushed like playing the violin was a chore but the music that could be heard was still amazing and enchanting.

I stopped playing and stared at Dongwoo wide eyed. He stared at me too with the same expression as the beautiful music filled the air around us.

Who is that?

=============

so you guys have anyone your rooting for yet? i'm personally team.....not telling cause it might give the story away. :)

if you all are confused about the pushing game, please refer back to the White Confession music video. sungyeol and sungjong were playing it at the end.

thanks for reading!

please comment!

pyeong~