Chapter 5

Far From Paradise

After my shower, I went to the living room to retrieve my dinner. Myungsoo was walking in front of me and I saw him trip on his own feet and fall to the floor. I ran to him and helped him up.

“Are you okay?!”

He started laughing.

After a second, I did too.

We were both laughing at his clumsiness for a moment before he moved aside and gestured me to go before him.

“Ladies first,” he said.

I smiled and got my tray.

 

I waited for him to pick his up as I shifted my weight back and forth on both feet awkwardly.

He looked at me.

I bit my lip. “Do you...want to eat together?” I asked.

Myungsoo looked shocked for a second but eventually nodded.

“Here?” he asked.

“Sure, why not?”

We settled beside each other on a couch.

What this place needs is a table...

 

“So did you enjoy your breakfast?” Myungsoo asked.

I nodded. “I did. Thank you. Today has just been, how do you say it, chaotic?”

He chuckled. “How so?”

I just shrugged as I took a bite of my food. “Everyone's personalities in here are just so different but at the same time similar. It clashes.”

Myungsoo looked at me with that piercing gaze that always seemed to draw me in.

“Was that that loud noise earlier? Did someone hurt you?”

I shook my head and couldn't help but be a little flattered about him being worried about me.

 

We continued to eat in a comfortable silence. We finished and placed our trays on the cart.

My eyes darted back and forth as I tried to find the right words to say. Myungsoo stared at the ground and spoke up.

“I don't want to go back to my room yet,” he confessed.

“Strangely, neither do I.”

He gave me a warm smile and grabbed my hand and led me back to the couch.

“Then let's not go back and stay here.”

He made me weak, way too weak. And that's not good.

 

Suddenly, Woohyun walked into the room and an uncomfortable silence took over. This was the first time I've seen Woohyun by himself.

I decided to break the silence with some conversation.

“So did you hear the violin playing?” I asked.

Myungsoo nodded. “It was great. You were awesome.”

“But it wasn't all me. Someone else played with me too.”

Woohyun's body tensed but I was too into the conversation to notice.

Myungsoo shrugged. “I didn't notice. I thought it was all you.”

I shook my head. “The playing was so beautiful. I'm dying to know who it is.”

“I have no idea.”

 

“Woohyun-ah! Let's eat together in my room. I haven't seen you all day!” Sunggyu walked into the room and threw an arm around Woohyun after giving Myungsoo and I the same look he gave us before.

“Arasso,” the other man replied and they left.

“What's that guy's problem?” Myungsoo asked. I assume he was talking about Sunggyu.

“I don't know,” I lied and stared after them.

 

The next day, I found some boxes underneath my bed and decided to clean out some stuff that I didn't need from my room. It's not like I had anything better to do. Might as well do something productive.

In my desk, I took out old papers, folders and such. The one thing I definitely didn't need anymore was my iPod dock. I had lost my iPod awhile ago. I lifted it and placed it into the box and wiped the sweat forming on my forehead.

I really need to get in shape.

I rummaged through my drawers and took out my old school books I've always kept. I placed it all into the box and it turned out to be very heavy.

 

I kicked the door open with my foot and started to walk out of my room, slowly but surely.

“Whoa, need some help there?” a voice asked.

I recognized it as Sunggyu's.

“Yes, please,” I said as my legs wobbled.

He took the box from me easily and started walking to the living room.

“Where should I put it?” he asked me.

“Anywhere.”

He went on his knees and placed it by the elevator.

 

In the process, one of my picture frames fell out and landed on the floor. He picked it up before I could. It was the picture of Eunjo Unni and I at a party. We were wearing formal dresses, with our hair done and make-up done.

“When was this?” Sunggyu asked, looking at it.

“3 months ago.”

“You two look so happy,” he whispered.

“It's weird how so much can change in so little time.”

He didn't say anything as he continued to stare at it.

Sunggyu looked up at me with sincere eyes.

“You looked beautiful.”

I could feel my face grow hot.

“Sorry if that came out a little too straight forward. I've just never seen you without these boring clothes on,” he said, tugging on the hem of his shirt.

I nodded in understanding. I feel like some of these people would look less threatening with their normal clothes on.

 

Sunggyu stood up and stretched his arms.

“Thank you for helping me.”

He smiled, making his eyes completely disappear. I thought it was incredibly cute.

“No problem, kid,” he said before ruffling my hair and walking away.

“I'm not a kid!” I said.

He just turned to look at me with a smile and disappeared into the hallway.

 

I walked to the monitor and pressed the red button.

The same man's face popped up.

“I, uh...cleaned some unneeded stuff from my room. I put it in a box and I was wondering if you could take to my mom or keep it somewhere where I can get it back later.”

“Communication is prohibited so we'll have to search your stuff before handing it over to her. Do I have your consent?”

I just shrugged. “I don't care. All it is is books and a speaker pretty much.”

He nodded. “Is that all you have to speak to me about?”

“Yeah, that's it. 'Kay bye,” I said awkwardly and started to walk away.

 

“Wait,” he said.

I furrowed my eyebrows and walked back to the monitor.

“Let me give you a piece of advice.”

I urged him to continue.

“You should watch your back, Bomi. There's only so much we can do and protect you from.”

“What do you--” but the monitor turned black.

What the is going on?

==========================

i hope everyone had a good and safe new year! no drinking and driving! *side eyes chu*

this chapter is a little short but it kind of reveals a lot doesn't it?

stay tuned for the next chapter. (possibly tomorrow)((LAST DAY OF WINTER BREAK! *crying*))

something BIG is going to happen.

pyeong~~~~ <3