only seventeen, but i digress

i'm waiting just for you

            Mingyu gets his the morning of his eighteenth birthday. It burns on his right hipbone, stinging his skin. It’s been exactly two hundred sixty-nine days, and it’s been even longer than that since he’s known his soulmate.

            He doesn’t talk about it. He knows it can never happen. His soulmate doesn’t love him.

⚘❁⚘

            “Don’t forget, we’re meeting Jun and Minghao tonight.”

            An amused voice, tired sigh. “I know.”

            “We told them we’d be there at seven.”

            “I know, babe.”

            “So we have to be there by seven.”

            “Babe, I know.”

            “So try to, you know, actually show up this time.”

            Seungcheol sighs, pulling a shirt over his torso. His hair is dripping wet, the ends of it tickling his eyes. When he comes over to plant a kiss on Jeonghan’s cheek, his lips are cool, minty. “I know, baby. I’m sorry, I’ll be there.”

            Jeonghan rests his head against the wall, pulling the covers higher over his bare chest. He tries not to let it bother him, but all he can think about right now is how good Seungcheol looks in his plain white shirt. “Okay,” he says, cuddling into the bed, “I just want to make sure.”

            Seungcheol grins, planting his hands on either side of Jeonghan. He tilts his head, pecking Jeonghan on the lips and then he’s standing up, walking over to the drawers. “I know. Hey, do you have any socks? I don’t have any left.”

            Jeonghan raises a brow, throwing the covers off of him. He’s in nothing but pajama bottoms, and he catches the way Seungcheol eyes trail over him. It makes him smile, just a little. He reaches into his own drawers, pulling out a pair of white socks, and when he hands them to Seungcheol, he lets his fingers curl around the older boys. “You know, this wouldn’t happen if you did the laundry like you’re supposed to.”

            Seungcheol grins, rolling his eyes playfully. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll do it tomorrow.” There’s a knock on the door and it makes Seungcheol’s eyes widen, looking down at his bare feet. “That’s Jihoon. Can you get the door? I have to get some shoes on.”

            Jeonghan raises a brow, gesturing to his bare upper body. “And put some clothes on? No thanks.”

            Seungcheol rolls his eyes, picking up a balled up shirt from the floor before he throws it to Jeonghan. “Please.” Jeonghan slips it on, and the fact that it falls to mid thigh lets him know that it’s Seungcheol’s shirt. “Thank you.”

            Jeonghan is smiling widely as he opens the door, only to be greeted by an unamused face. Jeonghan smiles wider, leaning his hip against the door as he inspects the small boy. Jihoon is scowling, his shaggy blonde hair covering his brows, which Jeonghan is sure are furrowed together right now.

            “Where is he? We’re going to be late.”

            Jeonghan tilts his lips in amusement. “Well hello to you too, Jihoonie.”

            Jihoon is pushing his way in, but he pauses, grins too big and too fake. ”Hello.”

            Jeonghan moves out of the way just as Seungcheol comes forward, grinning widely. “I’m here, don’t worry, we have plenty of time.” Seungcheol gives Jeonghan a quick peck on the cheek and then he’s out the door, tugging at Jihoon’s hands. “Hurry up.” And he calls out to Jeonghan, “I’ll see you later babe, love you!”

            Jihoon pulls the sleeves of his sweater over his palms, and he glances back at Jeonghan, smiling sincerely as he laughs out a Bye. Jeonghan smiles, waving at them, and neither he nor Seungcheol notice the way Jihoon’s fingers curl around Seungcheol’s tightly.

⚘❁⚘

            Joshua is dozing off at the register on a slow day, his head resting on his palm, when Seungkwan comes up from behind him, slamming a plate with a piece of cake loudly on the counter. It makes Joshua jump, makes his eyes go wide, and he loudly, frantically exclaims, “What!”

            Seungkwan smiles, snorts shortly as he rolls his eyes at the older boy. “Calm down Jesus boy, it’s just me.”

            Joshua frowns, rolling his neck to straighten out a kink. “Okay, first Mingyu with lover boy and now you with Jesus boy. Do any of you even know my name?”

            Seungkwan narrows his eyes, pulling out two forks from his apron. “What is it… Joseph? Jisong?”

            Joshua rolls his eyes, stealing a fork as Seungkwan’s lips curl into a smile. “Ha,” he breathes, “funny.”

            Seungkwan speaks from around a forkful. “Funny? I know I am.” He swallows a bit and Joshua has just popped in a piece of cake when Seungkwan speaks again, and what he says makes Joshua choke on the chocolate cake. “Anyway, I got you a date.”

            Joshua is oh so graceful as he spits out a piece of mushy cake, Seungkwan having to slap the older boy’s back until Joshua feels like he can breathe again. “A date?! Wha – Seungkwan!”

            Seungkwan blinks innocently, reaching out to grab some more cake. “What? I thought it would be fun.”

            “I don’t want to date anyone, Seungkwan.”

            Seungkwan sighs, setting his fork down. “I know just – hear me out, okay?” His eyes cut to Joshua, looking sad. “I know you’re not marked okay, we all know. And it . If anyone deserves a soulmate, it’s you. I just thought, I don’t know, maybe you could go for someone else, someone who’s unmarked too.” He picks his fork back up, stuffing his mouth. “So I set you up with an unmarked friend of mine.”

            Joshua ignores the burning of his chest, tries hard to not rub his hands over his heart. “How do you even know anyone who’s unmarked? You’re, like, twelve.”

            Seungkwan drops his brows, looking at Joshua with an unamused face. “Seventeen, actually, almost eighteen, but I digress. So, the date, yes or no?”

            Joshua groans, “You’re not going to let this go until I say yes, are you?”

            Seungkwan smiles brightly, “You know me so well, hyung.”

            Joshua sighs, rolling his eyes, and propping his head back into his palms. “Fine, whatever, I’ll go on the stupid date.”

            Seungkwan lets out a happy noise, shoving the half-eaten slice away from him. He plops his head into his palms as well, leaning his hip against Joshua’s. “Yay, hyung! Okay, so his name is Jihoon, he’s nineteen, I met him at karaoke – don’t laugh – and he’s tiny.” Seungkwan gestures to his hip, drawing a line, “I swear he reaches me right here.”

            Joshua laughs, his nose and eyes crinkling. “That’s adorable.”

            Seungkwan smiles, straightening. “Yeah, but don’t call him that.” He gestures to the front door, where someone has just stepped in. “We’ll talk more later,” he whispers before he turns to smile brightly at the customer in front of him. “Hi and welcome to – oh, it’s you.”

            Joshua glances at the boy and then – he smiles, tipping his head back as he laughs.

            The boy, who has just reached the counter, rolls his eyes. His hair is a soft brown, hints of gold running through it. His eyes are smiling, a soft brown, and when he grins, his whole face lights up, his eyes crinkling.

            “Hi, Seungkwan,” he speaks in a slightly raspy voice.

            Seungkwan hums, drumming his hands against the counter. “Yes, hello, are you going to order?”

            Joshua reaches out to smack the younger boy lightly against the arm. “Seungkwan! Be polite.” He smiles at the customer, winking. “This is a customer.”

            Seungkwan grumbles, “More like pain in the .”

            Joshua gives him a warning look. “Seungkwan.”

            Seungkwan sighs loudly, throwing his hands up as if being polite is a huge displacement to him. “Fine!” He drops his hands on the counter and smiles brightly, widely. “Hello Vernon, dear, is there anything I can do to please you?” He flutters his lashes for added effect, and Joshua laughs as the boy in front of him starts to slowly turn pink, stuttering.

            “I, uh, can I get… two of my usual orders?”

            “Sure,” chirps Seungkwan, typing it into the computer. “With extra jackass, right?”

            And Vernon laughs, throwing his head back. He replies, unfazed, “Yes please, it’s my favorite.”

            Seungkwan purses his lips, irritation coating his features. “Is that all?”

            Vernon smiles, brushing hair away from his face. “Can I get the friends discount?”

            Seungkwan lets out a noise from the back of his throat. “We’re not friends.”

            Vernon rolls his eyes. “Yeah, okay,” he mumbles sarcastically.

            Seungkwan is grumbling to himself as he applies the discount.

            Joshua laughs, pushing himself off of the counter to go make the coffees. When he comes back out, he notices that Vernon is leaning against the counter, his hands hooked together as he talks to Seungkwan, who is listening intently. Seungkwan rolls his eyes at something that Vernon says, causing Vernon to laugh softly. Seungkwan rolls his arms across his chest, and as Joshua comes closer, he hears him say, “Well, I don’t know what time I get off of work, so I don’t know if I can make it.”

            “He gets out at nine,” Joshua says as he comes with Vernon’s order. He places the cups into a holder for the young boy, sneaking in two pastries as well.

            Vernon smiles brightly at Seungkwan, who is busy glaring at Joshua. “That’s perfect! The concert doesn’t start until ten anyway.”

            “Great,” mutters Seungkwan.

            Vernon grins, taking his drinks from Joshua’s outstretched hands and placing a couple of bills on the counter. “Great, I’ll come pick you up.” He steps back from the counter. “See you later, hyung.” His eyes cut to Joshua’s. “Bye Josh, thanks for the pastries!”

            Joshua raises his hands in a wave, and Seungkwan yells out, “Don’t call me hyung!” and then Vernon is bouncing out of the café, the door softly shutting behind him.

            “Why,” Suengkwan forces out, “did you do that?”

            “Hmm?” Joshua grins innocently. “Oh I’m sorry, I just thought, since you set me up on a date…”

            “You’re insufferable. Do they not teach you manners in America?”

            Joshua just grins widely, shrugging one shoulder innocently, and as Seungkwan mutters about “unwanted dates” and “annoying half-Korean boys with pretty smiles,” Joshua starts humming Can't Help Falling In Love, causing the younger boy to glare, and all Joshua does is laugh.


a/n: i feel like i should mention that this is going to be a multiship story, so it's not going to be just jihan.