home

i'm waiting just for you

            Joshua is leaning against the counter at work, his phone pressed against his ear as he speaks to Jihoon. Seungkwan is sitting on the counter, typing away at his phone. He has half a cupcake stuffed in his mouth and crumbs on his shirt. On his other side, Soonyoung is resting with his head in the younger boy’s lap as he types on his phone as well, a tray of pastries on his chest that both he and Seungkwan are picking at.

            Jihoon is speaking in his ear about how he stayed home today and he hopes everything is going okay at work. Joshua has just recently learned that Jihoon works at a music hall directing some stuff. The specifics were lost on him, but at least now he knows where his boyfriend works.

            “Anyway,” Jihoon is saying, “I hope everyone at work is handling themselves because I think I might quit soon.”

            “Quit?” Joshua says, straightening up. “I thought you liked your job.”

            Jihoon sighs and Joshua hears him move around in the background. “I do like it,” he says in a muffled voice. “Hold up for a minute,” he speaks and it’s quiet for a minute before he comes back on the phone, sounding out of breath. “Yeah, I do like my job. But I want something different? I don’t know.”

            Joshua is opening his mouth to speak and then he hears a soft bark through the phone just as a particularity loud clap of thunder sounds outside. Jihoon curses and Joshua feels his mouth twitch to a smile. “Jihoon,” he says in an amusing tone, “is that Mong Gu?”

            It’s quiet for a while. Joshua hears Mong Gu yelp again in the background and then Jihoon is says dejectedly, “It’s raining outside. I couldn’t just leave him there.”

            “You love him,” Joshua teases and his two friends briefly glance over at him in confusion. Joshua waves them away, reaching over to steal a pastry from the tray on Soonyoung’s chest.

            “I’m just a good person and – MONG GU, NO. WE DO NOT EAT THE COUCHES.” He curses loudly and says in a hushed tone, “Can you hold for, like, a second?”

            Joshua doesn’t even agree before he hears the patter of Jihoon’s feet as he speaks distantly over the phone. Joshua can hear him yell, “Mong Gu! That is not food!”

            Jihoon comes back after a second and Joshua hears the small yelp that sounds through the phone. Joshua guesses that Jihoon has Mong Gu on his lap since the barks are closer now.

            “Anyway, what we were talking about again?”

            “Well, I don’t know, but we could talk about what we’re going to do today when I get off. Do you want me to pick up a pizza and head over to your house?”

            “Actually,” Jihoon says, “you’re a terrible boyfriend. You haven’t cooked for me since that one time.” Joshua hears a knock in the background and Jihoon groans as Mong Gu starts to bark again. “Can I just text you later? I gotta go.”

            “Yeah, no problem. Talk to you later.”

            They say their goodbyes and Joshua places his phone on the counter as he stuffs the pastry he grabbed earlier into his mouth. He taps Soonyoung’s legs and the other boy shifts so that Joshua can hop onto the counter. As soon as he takes a seat, Soonyoung places his legs over Joshua’s lap.

            Soonyoung looks at Joshua, his phone now resting on his forehead. He looks a bit silly – with frosting on his lips and chin, but he also looks terribly sad. Soonyoung sighs loudly, glancing back at the ceiling. Seungkwan hasn’t even looked up from his phone.

            “Is everything okay with you, Soonyoung?”

            Soonyoung lets out a great big sigh, dramatically bringing a hand to cover his heart. “Well, hyung, I’m glad you asked. It’s actually Seokmin’s birthday tomorrow. And here I am, wasting away at work.” He gestures to himself and closes his eyes tightly, placing a fist in his mouth as he says, “Oh, the despair!”

            Seungkwan is the one who reaches out, picks up Soonyoung’s phone from his forehead, and flicks him as hard as he can. “Stop being so dramatic,” Seungkwan scoffs. “It’s Vernon’s birthday too and here I am.”

            Soonyoung drops the act, his eyes lighting up. “It’s Vernon’s birthday tomorrow? How cool.”

            “So I’m guessing everything is okay with you guys now?” Joshua asks as he picks up another pastry.

            Seungkwan blushes, placing Soonyoung’s phone back where he got it. “Yes, we discussed things. Well, kind of discussed things. I mean, we’re okay. I don’t want him to be alone when he gets his mark, ‘cause I know how scary it is. But we haven’t talked extensively about it –”

            “Too busy doing other things?” Soonyoung teases, wiggling his eyebrows and causing his phone to move up and down as well. Seungkwan lifts a hand as he scowls and blushes deeply. Soonyoung covers his face, laughing. “Don’t hit me! I’m kidding.”

            Seungkwan brings his hand back down, brushing crumbs off his shirt. “I want to wait. So I know for sure he’s my mate, you know.” He cuts his eyes to Soonyoung, his eyes narrowing. “Wait a minute, why are you complaining about working? You’re the one who makes the schedule!”

            Soonyoung frowns at this. “Oh yeah.” He shrugs. “Guess I just messed up… But, you know, I am the son of the owner. So, I mean, we could just go home… If someone would be willing to cover our shift…”

            Seungkwan and Soonyoung simultaneously turn towards Joshua with big eyes and soft smiles. Joshua pauses from stuffing a cupcake in his mouth, glancing at them curiously. When his mind catches up with what they’re implying, he frowns and throws them a look.

            “No, I will not manage here all by myself.”

            “But we’re empty right now!” Soonyoung moves the pastries to his lap, sitting up. “Please hyung! My relationship depends on this!”

            Joshua furrows his brows. “No it does not.”

            Seungkwan whines. “Please! Please! Please!” Soonyoung joins him and the echo of both their voices makes a headache form.

            “Why did you give Mingyu and Wonwoo the day off then?” Joshua asks.

            Soonyoung pauses and takes a deep breath. “Because they just started dating and they wanted the day off to be together. I was not going to put them back a step in their relationship. Don’t put us back in our relationships.” And Soonyoung reaches for Seungkwan, throwing an arm over his shoulder. They both pout at the same time, blinking slowly at Joshua.

            Joshua feels his lips form a scowl but his eyes shine with amusement. He lets out a long and slow sigh. “Fine,” he groans, “I’ll take care of everything here so you guys can leave.”

            Soonyoung lets out a happy noise and reaches out to grab Joshua’s hand and squeezing it tightly. “Thank you!”

            Joshua smiles. “But I’m closing an hour early.”

            Soonyoung grins loudly. “You can do whatever you want!”

            Seungkwan jumps off the counter, already untying his apron. He smiles genuinely at Joshua. “Thank you hyung! I’ll cover for you any day you want.”

            Joshua grumbles, finding the tray of pastries being shoved at his chest while Soonyoung also jumps off the counter. Both boys talk excitedly amongst each other about their mates and, honestly, it makes Joshua a little sad.

            Jihoon is a great boyfriend, but… they’re not mates.

            He wonders briefly what it would be like – to go home to someone who you know is perfect for you. To be loved and feel a connection that only exists between mates. Nothing will ever equal to that, no matter how much he likes Jihoon. Joshua shakes his head to rid himself of the thought.

            He smiles at Soonyoung and Seungkwan as they leave. As soon as they’re out the door, Joshua drops the smile from his face. He sighs, leaning against the register and bringing his phone out. Jihoon sent a text saying that he couldn’t meet tonight, so Joshua scrolls through his other texts.  Jeonghan hasn’t texted him yet, but Jeonghan hasn’t texted him in a week so that’s not surprising.

            He hears the bell above the door ding and he rolls his eyes, smiling. He stands up to his full height, not looking up at who’s standing in front of him.

            “Did you guys forget some…thing…” he trails off as his eyes widen.

            His hair is short, tickling his chin, and dripping wet from the rain outside. He blinks slowly, his lips forming a shy smile. He shuffles in his place, a suitcase at his feet. He gestures to a table, his lips forming a wide smile at Joshua’s shocked state.

            “Can I have a seat?”

            “Uh, yeah.” Joshua shakes his head as Jeonghan starts to laugh. Joshua feels his lips form a smile. “Do you want a coffee?”

            Jeonghan shakes his head, taking a seat. “No, but I do want you to join me.” He tilts his head. “Is that okay?”

            Joshua is already stepping around the counter. He takes a seat in front of Jeonghan, smiling. “Yeah, no one else is here anyway. Is everything okay? Are you okay?”

            “Yeah, I’m okay. Sorry I went missing for a while. I was with Jun and Minghao.”

            Joshua smiles. “It’s okay. I’m just happy you’re okay. By the way, I like your hair. It looks great.”

            Jeonghan smiles, his fingers reaching up to brush at the strands. “You think so? Thanks. I was kind of nervous about cutting it, but I wanted something new.”

            “Well, it’s definitely new, but good. What does Seungcheol think about it?”

            Jeonghan frowns suddenly, his face flushing. “He likes it, I think. I don’t know – or care. But, you know, I have so much to tell you.” He smiles, leaning forward in his seat. “Maybe when I get my own place, I’ll invite you so I can tell you.”

            Joshua furrows his brows. “Wait, what? Get your own place? What are you talking about?”

            Jeonghan sighs, shaking his hair from his eyes. “Seungcheol and I broke up.”

            And Joshua feels his heart stop. “What? But – but you’re mates!”

            Jeonghan smiles sadly, shaking his head. “Like I said, I have so much to tell you. But I just came to talk to you, because I missed you. I didn’t want you to worry about me anymore. I got your texts. I can’t believe Mingyu and Wonwoo are official now!”

            Joshua blinks, trying to process everything that has just been said. He decides to not focus on Jeonghan’s newly found relationship status since it doesn’t matter. Joshua is with Jihoon anyway.

            “Yeah, I know. I’ve had to work two shifts – two shifts – with them and they are so… cute, it makes me sick. Sick, I tell you. They’re making out all the time.”

            Jeonghan laughs, the sound ringing in Joshua’s ears. “Oh man, I can’t believe I missed that. That is so amazing. What else did I miss?”

            “Nothing much. Seungkwan and Vernon are kind of together. Seokmin and Soonyoung are okay.”

            Jeonghan gasps, sitting up in his seat. “Oh my god, Vernon! It’s his birthday tomorrow! I totally forgot!”

            Joshua rolls his eyes, scoffing. “Nice one. You’re a great hyung, really.”

            Joshua feels something sharply kick him in the shin. He winces, letting out a soft laugh as Jeonghan throws him a dirty look. Jeonghan bristles at the comment, sitting up in his seat. He flicks his hair back. “I am an amazing hyung, thank you very much. Don’t forget, I’m your hyung too.”

            “Yeah, but calling you hyung is so… weird.”

            Jeonghan mumbles under his breath. “Yah, our Joshua, so disrespectful.”

            Joshua rolls his eyes at the dramatics, sitting forward in his seat. “Okay, I’m sorry, hyung.” He grins sweetly. “Is that better for you, hyung?”

            Jeonghan nods seriously. “Much better, thanks.” He reaches up to brush at his hair and for the first time Joshua notices his wrist. His bare wrist. His heart pounds and he finds himself speaking without meaning to.

            “Jeonghan, what happened to your mark?”

            Jeonghan freezes, his eyes going wide and he curses under his breath. “Well,” he sighs, “I guess there’s no point in not talking about it. Seungcheol and I aren’t mates. We never were.” He waves a hand as if it’s not a big deal. “It’s been dealt with. I’ve dealt with it, Seungcheol is dealing with it. I’d rather not talk about it.”

            Joshua swallows, feels his mark burn underneath his clothes. Not mates? What does that even mean? He tries not to focus on it too much because he doesn’t even want to think about what that means for him.

            “Okay, so we won’t talk about it.”

            Jeonghan smiles. “Thank you. Anyway, I should get going. I just wanted to check up on you and let you know I’m okay.”

            “You’re leaving already?” And he tries not to sound too upset.

            “Yeah, I have to start looking for a place to live. Since Seungcheol and I broke up, I had to move out. So I don’t have a place to stay.”

            Joshua speaks without thinking. “Well, you can stay at my place.”

            Joshua immediately blushes, his lips clasping shut. Jeonghan stares at him, his eyes wide with shock. Jeonghan shakes his head, his brows furrowing as his lips turn to a small frown. “It’s okay,” he says, “I don’t want to be a burden.”

            “You won’t be a burden. You’re my friend. I want to help you.”

            Jeonghan frowns and he sounds pained as he says, “What about Jihoon?”

            Joshua freezes. Oh yeah, Jihoon. But it’ll be okay, right? Jihoon is his boyfriend and Jeonghan is his friend. So what if Jeonghan is single now? That doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t like him and Joshua is with Jihoon anyway. It’s just being a good friend, is all. There’s nothing wrong with them living together while Jeonghan gets back to his feet.

            At least that what Joshua tells himself as he says, “I’m sure Jihoon won’t mind.”

            He doesn’t think Jeonghan will agree, because how well do they really know each other? They’re friends, but not great friends, and there’s still an air of unfamiliarity between them. Besides, Jeonghan has other friends he can stay with, and he may not even want to stay with him at all.

            He’s already convinced himself that Jeonghan will say no, so he’s very surprised when Jeonghan takes a deep breathe and says, “You know what? I’d love to stay with you.”


a/n: *peeks from behind a rock* so... that happened... also, thanks to everyone who subbed to my new story! thank you so so much! hope yo uguys enjoy this chapter! ^.^