i have a longing in my heart

i'm waiting just for you

            Jihoon is pushing past the door to the kitchen in the café, a scowl on his face. He stands in front of Joshua with his arms crossed over his chest. Joshua pauses from sprinkling chocolate shavings on top of a cake. The look on the small boy’s face means that Joshua has done something to get him in trouble.

            He stands up straight. “Uh, I don’t think you’re allowed back here, Jihoon.”

            Jihoon frowns deeper. “Why did Jeonghan come visit you the other day?”

            Joshua sighs, finishing sprinkling and decorating the cake before wiping his hands on his apron. “I don’t know, why don’t you ask him?”

            Jihoon presses his palms flat on the counter, leaning towards Joshua. “Stop hanging out with him.”

            “Okay, first of all, I didn’t hang out with him like you say. We talked for, like, a couple of minutes. Second of all,” Joshua raises a brow, “what’s the big deal?”

            Jihoon purses his lips, his brows drawing together. “The big deal is that the more time you spend with him –”

            “Jihoon!” Joshua intercepts. “Calm down, we had one conversation. It’s not a big deal.”

            Jihoon narrows his eyes. “Did you know that he signed me and Seungcheol up for the talent show?” He shakes his head. “Since when do café’s even have talent shows?”

            Joshua just grins, clapping excitedly. “Does this mean I’m finally going to get to hear you sing, Jihoonie?”

            “Don’t call me that,” he glowers. He straightens up, brushing hair away from his eyes. It’s getting longer, falling more into his eyes. “And if you wanted me to sing for you, you could have just asked.”

            Joshua flutters his lashes. “Aw, you would have serenaded me?”

            Jihoon opens his mouth but Soonyoung is glancing out from his office, his eyes curious. “I know you’re flirting with your boyfriend,” he tells Joshua, “but he’s not allowed back here.”

            Jihoon turns around to glare at the blond boy. Soonyoung’s eyes grow wide as soon as he makes eye contact with the small boy, his face breaking out into a wide grin. Jihoon huffs as Soonyoung just stares, grinning widely. Jihoon’s cheeks start to turn pink, and he turns back to Joshua with a huff, grumbling, “He’s weird, is he your boss?”

            Joshua grins, turning his attention back to decorating cakes. “Yep, the one and only great Kwon Soonyoung.”

            Jihoon turns back to glance at Soonyoung, who is still staring at him. He’s leaning back on his chair, using his palms to push himself away from his desk, balancing himself on two feet of the chair. Jihoon turns back to Joshua, narrowing his eyes. “He keeps staring at me.”

            “Soonyoung,” Joshua calls out, not turning to look at the boy, “stop being weird.”

            “I’m sorry,” Joshua can hear the grin in Soonyoung’s voice, “I just never pictured you dating someone so cute. Good job, hyung.”

            Both Joshua and Jihoon blush. Joshua is quick to deny, “We’re not dating, will everyone please stop saying that?” and Jihoon grumbles under his breath, his cheeks positively pink, “I’m not cute.”

            Soonyoung laughs, and Joshua hears him straighten in his chair. “I’m just saying!” he exclaims. “You two would make the cutest couple.”

            Joshua glances at Jihoon. “We are pretty cute.”

            Jihoon slaps his arm. “Will you stop saying stuff like that?”

            Joshua grins, his eyes bright. “Why? Do you not like it?”

            Jihoon raises a brow. “Yes,” he deadpans. “And it sounds like you’re flirting with me. And I know that can’t be true.”

            Joshua shrugs. “Maybe I am flirting with you.” And if he’s not mistaken, Jihoon lets out a small squeak, his cheeks heating up. It makes Joshua grin. “And why can’t it be true? I do like you.”

            All the smaller boy does is tug at his own sleeve, letting his arm rest on his elbow. Joshua glances quickly, knowing that a mark lies under there. Jihoon raises a brow. “I think you know why.”

            Seungkwan is pushing past the doors, trays filled with empty plates and cups in his hands. His hair looks disheveled and he glances at Joshua, his eyes quickly falling on Jihoon before he turns back to Joshua. “Yah,” he whines, “why am I the only one working while Joshua gets to flirt?” He sets the trays on the counter. “Soonyoung, this is unfair!”

            Soonyoung calls from his office. “I already said he can’t be back here, but he’s cute so he gets a pass.”

            Seungkwan lets out a whine, hopping up on the counter. He steals a cake that Joshua is currently decorating with flowers, quickly stuffing it in his mouth. He nods at Jihoon, his lips covered with frosting. “Hi hyung.”

            Jihoon glances at him. “Hi Seungkwan.”

            Seungkwan swips at the frosting that’s left on the cake, quickly sticking his finger in his mouth to the rest of the frosting off. “I saw your name for the talent show next week.” He raises a brow. “What’s up with that?”

            Jihoon turns to Joshua as he speaks. “Yes, my friend Jeonghan thought it would be a great idea when he heard Joshua mention it.” He turns back to the younger boy. “And clean your mouth.”

            Seungkwan’s tongue darts out, his lips. “Maybe we could sing together.”

            Jihoon hums, and Joshua doesn’t know if he notices that he’s leaning against him. The small boy is warm, his body soft against Joshua’s. Joshua gets an uncomfortable feeling on his chest as Jihoon’s hair tickles his arms. “Yeah,” Jihoon says, “maybe you could sing with me and Joshua.”

            “Wait, wait, me and Joshua? Since when am I a part of this?”

            “You didn’t think I was just going to let this go, right? It’s your fault I’m even doing this.”

            Seungkwan hides his grin behind his hand. “Yah hyung, don’t be too upset. We can perform a great song. I bet we could even win.”

            Joshua throws him a strange look. “The prize is a girt card for the café and you get free anything because you work here, Seungkwan.”

            “As fun as this conversation is to listen to,” Soonyoung interrupts from his office, “I need you guys to actually do what I pay you to do and take orders.”

            Seungkwan lets out a long sigh, sliding off the counter. He quickly goes to wash his hands, and he flicks water at Joshua when he walks past him before pushing past the door to the front of the café.

            Joshua glances at Jihoon, but before he can speak, Jihoon is already backing away. “I guess that’s my cue to leave.” He points a threatening finger at Joshua, flicking his brows up. “Stop hanging around Jeonghan, trust me. It will just complicate all of this.”

            Joshua is rolling his eyes, but the mention of Jeonghan makes his heart speed up. He’s wrapping a pastry up for Jihoon to take home and he slides the wrapped pastry towards Jihoon as he says, “Don’t worry, I managed to avoid him for years since he’s been coming here.” He taps the pastry box. “Here, something for the road.”

            Jihoon’s fingers land on top of Joshua’s, his fingers curling over the older boy’s. “Thanks.”

            Joshua smiles widely. “No problem.”

            Jihoon smiles at Joshua, his eyes crinkling at the corners. “By the way, I’m coming over to your house later to we can practice for the talent show.”

            Joshua raises a brow. “How do you know where I live?”

            Jihoon snorts, rolling his eyes. “Please, look who you’re talking to.” Joshua’s fingers feel warm, and this is when both he and Jihoon notice that the younger boy’s fingers are still curled around Joshua’s. Jihoon clears his throat, snatching his hand away with red cheeks. Joshua doesn’t know what’s happening, but he gets a tight feeling in his chest as he watches Jihoon mutter a goodbye, his face red. It makes Joshua smile.

⚘❁⚘

            Avoiding Jeonghan proves harder than Joshua initially thought.

            It seems that every time Joshua comes into the café, Jeonghan is sitting at his usual spot, his eyes wide and bright as he immediately spots the other boy. Even if Joshua tries to avoid him, Jeonghan will sit there, slowly sipping his coffee until things start to slow down and he’s the only one left. There’s no way Joshua can get out of talking to him then.

            “Can you believe it? I’ve been coming here for years and I never saw you. How funny is that?” Jeonghan says one day, his smile wide and his eyes crinkled at the corner, his fingers curled around a cup.

            Joshua feels his mouth dry – remembers shifts where he spent most of the time hiding in the back just so he wouldn’t see the older boy. It took strategic planning. “Yeah,” Joshua had replied, “funny.”

            Right now though, Jeonghan is slowly picking at a piece of cake, waiting for his usual cup of coffee. Joshua is running around, trying to get orders and bring orders out in the fastest manner he can. It’s just him and Seungkwan today, with both having to take orders as well as make them, and it’s particularly busy. Joshua has not had a proper time to relax since he clocked in.

            He very quickly brings Jeonghan his coffee when he gets a chance. He offers an apologetic smile, setting the cup on the table. “I’m sorry,” he says, “I don’t think I can talk today. We’re more busy than I thought and it’s just me and Seungkwan.”

            Jeonghan smiles and before Joshua knows what’s happening, Jeonghan is wrapping his fingers around Joshua’s wrist. His skin burns where Jeonghan touches and he’s a bit dazed when Jeonghan stands up. “Do you need help?”

            Joshua blinks slowly. “What?”

            Jeonghan smiles, blinding Joshua. “Do you need help? I can help.”

            Joshua’s cheeks are faintly pink as he shakes his head, stuttering, “A-ah, no, it’s okay.”

            But before he can even finish protesting, Jeonghan is already brushing past Joshua, picking up empty dishes. “Yah!” Joshua whines, hovering behind Jeonghan. “Stop it! You’re a customer, you can’t be doing that.”

            He turns his head, smiling at Joshua, his eyes crinkling at the corners. This close up, Joshua can see the flecks in Jeonghan’s eyes that light up when he smiles, can see the shadows that his lashes cast on his cheeks. “I’m your friend first, Joshua. Honestly, it’s fine.”

            Joshua grumbles, fighting back a blush, but he still lets Jeonghan help. It alleviates the stress he feels for sure. Jeonghan easily flows from one place to another, grinning easily as he converses with customers and takes orders. Joshua helps him make the orders that Jeonghan doesn’t know how to complete, but for the most part, Jeonghan does well on his own. Every time Jeonghan laughs with a customer, his eyes lightening up, it makes Joshua grin.

            Seungkwan slides an empty tray over to Joshua when things start slowing down. “Wow, he really saved our asses today, huh?”

            Joshua grins, looking over at Jeonghan, who is avidly recommending foods to a blushing girl. “Yeah, he did.”

            Seungkwan, in a very offhand way, asks, “So how is Jihoon-hyung?”

            Joshua whips his head towards Seungkwan. “What?”

            Seungkwan shrugs, wiping the counter. “I kind of heard him telling you to stay away from Jeonghan? I was trying to stay out of it, but…”

            Joshua sighs. “I can’t avoid him. He’s my friend.”

            Seungkwan’s lips form a straight line. “If you really wanted to avoid someone, you could.” He raises a brow. “But it’s not any of my business.” He stacks trays together, pulling them to his chest. “I just want to warn you, if Jihoon said something, it’s probably for a good reason,” he says just as Jeonghan is pushing past the doors.

            “Yah,” Jeonghan whines, “she made me talk to her for like thirty minutes and all she ordered was a chocolate cake.” Joshua quickly slides a boxed pastry to him. “Thanks,” he glances at Seungkwan, his lips forming a teasing smile. “Oh, and someone is here to see you.”

            Seungkwan brightens up. “Me? Who?” Jeonghan doesn’t get a chance to say anything before Seungkwan is pushing past the doors, his eyes bright. His lips form a straight line when he sees a boy sitting at one of the tables, twiddling his thumbs together. Seungkwan raises a brow. “Vernon?”

            The boy in question turns around, his eyes brightening up and a smile lightening up his face as soon as he sees Seungkwan. “Hi hyung,” he says, leaning back in his seat, “I was waiting for you.”

            Seungkwan glances at Jeonghan and Joshua, who both snuck up behind him. “Yes,” he forces out, “I was told.”

            Vernon brushes his hair away from his eyes. “What time do you get off? I was wondering if you wanted to go see a concert with me. It’s an underground artist.”

            Seungkwan sighs. “I’m here until closing, sorry.”

            Vernon sits back in his seat, smiling brightly. “Then I’ll wait. The concert isn’t until later.”

            Seungkwan just looks at him, a strange look on his face. Joshua glances from both boys, noticing how Seungkwan is tense. The skin around his eyes and mouth are tight, his eyes narrowed as he stares at Vernon, who is smiling widely. Seungkwan slowly releases a deep breath, bringing his hands up to rub at his temples. “Why are you such a brat?”

            Vernon’s eyes are bright, his lips quirked just a bit at the corners. He picks up the full cup that sits in front of him, taking a quick sip. He raises his brows, his voice teasing. “Don’t act like you don’t like it, hyung.”

            Seungkwan lets out a long sigh, turning around so he doesn’t see the huge grin that spreads over Vernon’s face. Joshua notices that Seungkwan’s cheeks are faintly pink as he grumbles to himself, stalking towards the kitchen.

            It’s a bit later when the last customer finally leaves, leaving a hefty amount of bills on the counter when Jeonghan goes to clean it up. Jeonghan walks into the kitchen with a big grin, passing the plates to Joshua, who is stationed at the sink getting everything clean. There’s soapsuds going up to his elbows, and he feels a bit playful as he blows some towards Jeonghan. Jeonghan laughs, shaking his head as a bubble lands right on his nose.

            He pulls out all the bills he’s collected, and Joshua’s eyes widen as he sees how much Jeonghan is holding up. Jeonghan starts counting the bills, setting them out in two separate piles. When he’s done, he flattens out one pile before sliding it towards Joshua. “Here you go.”

            Joshua quickly sticks his hand out of the soapy water, shaking his head quickly. Without meaning to, his hand reaches out to lock around Jeonghan’s wrist. He gets a bit distracted by the feel of the delicate wrist. He’s too busy trying to calm his heart that he doesn’t notice that Jeonghan has also frozen, his eyes wide as he looks at the hand encasing his wrist.

            “No,” Joshua shakes his head, “it’s yours, keep it.”

            Jeonghan nervously his lips, stuttering, “I-I want to share it with you.”

            Joshua glances up, peeking at Jeonghan through his lashes. Jeonghan’s cheeks are slightly red, a few stray strands of hair framing his face. Jeonghan’s tongue flicks out, swiping at his bottom lip. Joshua’s eyes fall to his pink lips, his own mouth dropping open. He doesn’t know why he does it, but his head tilts as he inspects Jeonghan’s lips. His hand is still holding onto Jeonghan’s wrist, and he doesn’t even notice when his thumb starts rubbing circles on Jeonghan’s soft skin.

            He jumps back when Seungkwan comes back from throwing out the garbage, rubbing his hands together from the cold. He glances quickly at Joshua who is intently washing the rest of the dishes. A quick glance at Jeonghan lets him know that the older boy is busy counting the bills. Seungkwan frowns quickly but then he’s glancing to the doors. He tenses his shoulders. “Is Vernon still out there?”

            Jeonghan just hums, Joshua not even acknowledging the younger boy.

            Seungkwan throws them both a funny look, removing his apron and folding it up as he walks towards the door. “What’s wrong with you two?” He places the folded apron on the counter, pressing his nose against the window. “Holy ,” Seungkwan whispers and Joshua quickly glances out the window, noticing that Vernon is slumped in his chair, his head leaning on the table. “He stayed.”

            Joshua turns the water off, smiling as he wipes his hands on a towel. Both him and Jeonghan watch with wide smiles as Seungkwan pushes past the door. He walks up next to Vernon, reaching out to flick the top of his head. He squints suddenly, bending down to be level with Vernon. “You’re kidding me,” he scoffs. He stands back up, and he looks towards the kitchen door, where both Jeonghan and Joshua are watching him. “He fell asleep.”

            Joshua snickers, Jeonghan hiding his smile behind his hand. Joshua bites his lip to keep from laughing. “Wake him up.”

            Seungkwan sighs, his face twisting into a scowl. He reaches out to roughly shove at Vernon’s shoulder. “Wake up.”

            “Gently, Seungkwan. Wake him up gently.” Joshua says, rolling his eyes.

            Seungkwan sighs and Joshua is a bit surprised because Seungkwan glances down at Vernon, his eyes becoming incredibly soft. He rolls his eyes, a soft smile taking over his lips and when he reaches out to Vernon this time, his touch is gentle, his fingers gently tangling into the younger boy’s hair. “Vernon?” His voice is quiet. “Vernon, wake up.”

            Vernon whines, his hands reaching up to rub at his face. “Seungkwan-ah? Is it time for the concert now?” Vernon speaks sleepily, blinking slowly.

            Seungkwan sighs, shaking his head. “No concert for us tonight,” his fingers run through the younger boys hair, causing him to hum contently. Seungkwan’s lips twitch into a smile at the noise. His hand lands on Vernon’s knee and then he’s gently shoving the boy. “Come on, get on my back. I’m taking you home.”

            Vernon grumbles a bit more, his body lax as he moves from his seat. Seungkwan kneels in front of him and Vernon sleepily wraps his arms around Seungkwan’s neck, letting himself curl around the other boy. “Thanks hyung,” he sighs as he nuzzles his head into Seungkwan’s shoulders.

            Seungkwan stands up with a huff, putting his hands on Vernon’s knees to hold him more steadily. He glances at Joshua and Jeonghan, the latter of the two clutching onto Joshua tightly as he stares at them both with wide eyes. He bites his lips roughly and Joshua can practically hear the Aww! that he’s holding back. Seungkwan narrows his eyes at them. “Shut up,” he grumbles with pink cheeks. He straightens his back, clearing his throat. “See you later.”

            Jeonghan watches as Seungkwan leaves with Vernon on his back. As soon as they leave, Jeonghan let’s out a squeal, digging his fingers into Joshua’s forearm. Joshua lightly winces. “Ow?”

            Jeonghan quickly lets go. “I’m sorry!” He lets out a dreamy sigh. “They’re just so cute.”

            Joshua looks to where Seungkwan was just at, and he feels his heart give a twinge. He knows that it’s almost Seungkwan’s birthday and he finds himself wishing, praying actually, that Seungkwan’s love life is better than his. He gets pulled out of his thoughts when he notices that Jeonghan has already pulled off his apron. Jeonghan is glancing up at Joshua, his eyes wide and expectant. “So, what are we doing now?”

            Joshua frowns, confused. “What?”

            Jeonghan’s cheeks turn a bit pink and he glances at the clock on the wall. “Uh, well, I mean, Seungcheol is still with Jihoon working, and Jun doesn’t close until late so I mean…” He grins a bit too widely, seeming embarrassed. “I’m sorry, you probably want to go home and relax–”

            Joshua finds himself quickly speaking, bringing his hands up to wave them frantically. “No! No, I’m fine.” He quickly unties his apron, glancing at Jeonghan. “Uh, let me just finish closing up and then we can, uh, go back to my place? Does that work?”

            Jeonghan smiles brightly, his eyes lightening up. Joshua doesn’t even notice that Jeonghan scratches at his mark roughly, only paying attention to the fact that Jeonghan is leaning his body towards Joshua, seeming drawn to the boy. “Yeah,” Jeonghan grins and Joshua is too blinded by the smile to hear the buzzing coming from Jeonghan’s pocket, the older boys phone going off constantly. They both ignore it, or don’t notice it. Jeonghan runs a nail across his mark, not noticing that the skin around the faded mark is bright red. His eyes crinkle. “I’d love that.”


a/n: wah, i hope you guys enjoy ~ ~ i'm sorry that it's been a while. thanks for all the comments and subscribers! i love you all very much ~ ~