stay with me

i'm waiting just for you

            Jihoon is cooking for him, but all Joshua can feel is that ing guilt eating away at his heart. He thinks of Jeonghan waiting for him at home and he makes up his mind – he’s going to tell Jihoon that Jeonghan is living with him.

            Jihoon is wearing an apron and he’s even wearing one of those fancy hats that adds height to him. He had grinned widely as he opened the door, the huge chef’s hat falling over his eyes. He had pushed it higher, smiling at Joshua. “Do you like my new hat? I got it to make you laugh.”

            It made Joshua feel horrible.

            Jihoon is still wearing the hat now and he has served Joshua some drink while he sips his own beverage, occasionally stirring at the dish he’s making. There’s a slight tilt to his smile that makes Joshua think that Jihoon is drinking alcohol and not water like he said.

            Jihoon holds the spoon, blowing on it gently before he offers it to Joshua. Joshua reaches out and slowly eats it, his eyes widen as he realizes it’s actually good. Jihoon smiles at the look on his face. “See, told you I could cook something.”

            Joshua smiles tightly, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. “Yeah, listen Jihoon, I have to talk to you about something, it’s about Jeonghan–”

            Jihoon, in his state of drunkenness, blurts out, “Are you going to tell me that Seungcheol and Jeonghan broke up? Because I already know.” He sets the spoon down, looking at Joshua with surprisingly clear eyes. “And I don’t care. I’m dating you, so whatever is happening with Seungcheol and Jeonghan.”

            It makes Joshua feel so much worse.

            He brings a hand to run through his hair, shutting his eyes tightly. God, this is so messed up. Jihoon looks so cute – with his dopey smile and oversized hat that keeps falling into his eyes and he’s actually dressed up in a pressed sweater and his hair looks so soft that Joshua just wants to run his fingers through it.

            But then he thinks about Jeonghan.

            God, he’s a terrible person.

            He’s opening his mouth to tell Jihoon that Jeonghan is staying with him but then Jihoon is excitedly exclaiming, “Done! We can eat now!” And, well, it would be rude to ruin the mood before they have dinner right?

            So he waits.

            And waits.

            And waits.

            Before he knows it, they’ve already finished eating and Joshua is resting on Jihoon’s couch, the small boy curled underneath his arm. He has another cup of clear liquid in his free hand since the other one is tangled with Joshua’s. Jihoon traces his thumb in circles on Joshua’s skin and he lets out a long sigh, bringing their interlocked hands up so he can press a kiss to the back of Joshua’s hand.

            “I don’t deserve you,” he whispers, his lips tickling Joshua’s skin.

            Joshua frowns because if there’s somebody who doesn’t deserve anybody, it’s him, not Jihoon.

            Joshua opens his mouth to speak but then Jihoon is sitting up, his eyes glazed and so terribly sad and guilty that it makes Joshua pause. Things feel different. Jihoon may be affectionate right now because of the alcohol but his eyes swim with turmoil. Joshua wonders what happened.

            Things are so complicated. He wishes they could just go back to the way things were – like how they were back when Joshua didn’t have this guilt and Jihoon wasn’t hiding something and they were both okay with just each other.

            Maybe that’s why Joshua doesn’t protest when Jihoon reaches up and touches his fingers to Joshua’s jaw, tilting his lips down to meet his. Even their kiss feels different, like they’re kissing for the last time even though it isn’t.

            Jihoon sighs as he leans back down, his eyes shut tightly. “Joshua,” he whispers, “do you mind if we just stay like this for a while? I’ve been having really ty weeks lately.”

            And Joshua nods, opens his arms and lets the small boy cuddle closer to him.

⚘❁⚘

            Mingyu wakes up to the feeling of fingers running through his hair. He slowly blinks awake, finding that his head is in someone’s lap. His apartment feels warm and the scent of something baking hits him full force. The first thing he notices once his eyes focus is that there’s a book hovering over his face. The second thing he notices is the handsome individual who is holding said book.

            Mingyu sniffs loudly. “Are you baking something?”

            Wonwoo jerks back, his fingers sliding out of Mingyu’s hair. He drops the book he’s holding, making it land with a smack on Mingyu’s forehead. He doesn’t apologize, just presses a hand to his chest as he says, “Yah, you scared me!”

            Mingyu frowns, picking the book of his face and rubbing the spot where it hit him. “Ouch,” he mumbles. He quickly glances at the book cover before he’s throwing the book on the coffee table, sitting up and facing his boyfriend. “You hit me.”

            “You scared me.”

            Mingyu pouts, making his eyes go wide. “It hurts.” He reaches up to rub at the spot and winces dramatically. “Ouch! See? I think I need a kiss to make it better.”

            Wonwoo rolls his eyes, reaching forward and grabbing Mingyu’s face between his hands. He plants a quick kiss to Mingyu’s forehead. “There.”

            “I think it hit my lips too… better be safe than sorry, yeah?”

             Mingyu is giving Wonwoo a smile that tells the older boy that Mingyu isn’t really hurt, but he rolls his eyes and smiles back anyway. Wonwoo reaches forward, his eyes fluttering shut as he presses his lips against Mingyu’s. This chaste kiss isn’t enough for him, so he reaches out and tugs at Wonwoo’s hips, drawing the older boy closer.

            They’ve been dating for a while now, so it’s no longer weird when they do stuff like this – this being making out on the couch with Wonwoo straddling Mingyu. It was weird for Wonwoo at first, of course. He would yelp and blush anytime Mingyu so much as held his hands.

            It took a lot of coaxing – with kisses and tugging – but eventually Wonwoo became relaxed.

            (Mingyu teased that it was because he was such a great kisser and Wonwoo just couldn’t resist him, causing the older boy to snort and roll his eyes before he dissolved into a fit of giggles.)

            Right now, Mingyu is pressing his hands firmly against Wonwoo’s back, pressing the other boy’s body tightly against his. His hands itch with the need to delve underneath Wonwoo’s shirt and feel skin against skin, but he holds back. Despite the questioning that Mingyu did with Joshua earlier, Mingyu and Wonwoo have not done anything besides kiss.

            It drives Mingyu a little crazy, to be honest. But he doesn’t want to push. He knows that Wonwoo is not ready for that yet.

            Wonwoo suddenly gasps, pressing his hands against the taller boy’s chest as he scrambles off his lap and runs toward the kitchen. “My cupcakes!” He yells. “They’re going to burn!”

            Mingyu lets out a deep groan, running a shaking hand through his hair as he tries to calm himself. He counts his erratic heartbeat, breathing through his nose deeply because if he doesn’t, he’ll drag Wonwoo back and finish what they started, cupcakes be damned. He finally opens his eyes after a beat, his body calm, and the sight that meets his eyes makes him smile.

            Wonwoo is frowning at a tray of cupcakes, fanning them with an oven mitt. The tops are a little too golden and there’s a little bit too much smoke emitting from his oven. Wonwoo grumbles, peering down at his cupcakes with a look of distaste on his face.

            Mingyu creeps up behind him, reaching out to rest a hand on Wonwoo’s waist. “I’m sure they’re still delicious.”

            “They’re burnt,” Wonwoo grumbles.

            Mingyu smiles and presses a kiss to Wonwoo’s temple. “Yes, but you made them, so they must be the best things in this world.”

            Wonwoo lets out a snort, using his shoulder to bump into Mingyu’s chest. “We’re already dating, Mingyu-ah, you don’t have to compliment me anymore.” He turns and grins widely at Mingyu. “But you do have to make me dinner. I’m starving.”

            Mingyu steps back and makes a show of cracking his neck and knuckles. He pretends to wipe sweat off his brow. “What do you want? I can make anything.”

            Wonwoo doesn’t look impressed, but his lips twitch in amusement. He turns to his tray of overly baked cupcakes and starts taking them out of the tin. “Surprise me.”

            Mingyu is already taking out a pan, but he turns to give Wonwoo a teasing smile. “Ask me cutely.” He makes his voice go higher like how Wonwoo does when he speaks in his cute voice. “Please give me a cheeseburger!” he mimics. Wonwoo gives him a droll stare, his cheeks faintly pink, but all Mingyu does is laugh. “You’re so cute,” he mumbles as he turns his back to Wonwoo and places the pan on the stove.

            Something hits him in the back of the head and then he reaches down to see what it is, he realizes it’s a cupcake.

            “Real mature,” he mutters, rolling his eyes.

            And so Wonwoo throws another cupcake at him and Mingyu picks up a random object – a bag of chips, apparently, that he left on the counter – to throw at the older boy. Wonwoo’s mouth drops open as the bag slides off his face and Mingyu smiles triumphantly. Wonwoo’s fingers twitch slightly and Mingyu already knows what he’s going to do before he does it.

            Wonwoo is closer to the fridge, but Mingyu has longer legs so they reach it at the same time, using their elbows to shove each other out of the way as they grab food inside it and huddle it in their arms. After the fridge is emptied, they go to the cabinets next.

            They have a very mature and sophisticated food fight that only ends when Wonwoo cracks the entire carton of eggs on top of Mingyu’s head. Wonwoo sits back on his haunches, his hair dripping with ketchup and full of crumbs. Mingyu splutters as he wipes egg yolks from his face.

            “Why you little cheat,” he growls playfully before he reaches out and tackles Wonwoo to the floor. Wonwoo lets out a squeal, dropping the empty carton and trying to scurry away but Mingyu pins him down on the floor.

            Wonwoo smiles up at him, letting out a laugh as he reaches out to swipe chocolate from Mingyu’s cheek. He sticks the finger in his mouth, flicking his brows up. He releases his finger with a pop. “Hmm, delicious.”

            It reminds Mingyu of a scene from earlier and he’s about to comment on the irony because if he recalls correctly, Wonwoo had said that was disgusting. But he gets distracted by the happy shine in Wonwoo’s eyes so he leans down to kiss him instead.

            It’s not the prettiest picture – they’re both covered in various foods and laying on a dirty floor – but it’s absolutely perfect as Wonwoo reaches out to tug Mingyu closer. His hands travel up from Mingyu’s neck, trying to tangle in Mingyu’s hair but his hair is too sticky. Wonwoo laughs against Mingyu’s mouth, twisting his head so their lips can detach and he can speak.

            “I think you need to shower, Mingyu.”

            Mingyu groans, pressing his knee against Wonwoo’s legs. “And leave you here? No thanks.”

            Wonwoo smiles. “You’re so hard-headed.” He wiggles a hand between their bodies, using it to push at Mingyu’s chest. “Go take a shower, I’ll take one after you.”

            Mingyu is opening his mouth but Wonwoo gives him a dry stare and says in a dry tone, “And no, I won’t join you.”

            Mingyu grins, flicking his brows up. “You read my mind.” He gives Wonwoo one more peck before he’s standing up, pulling Wonwoo up with him. He brushes flour from his shirt and peeks at Wonwoo from beneath his lashes. “Are you staying here tonight?”

            Wonwoo shrugs. “Probably, is that cool?”

            Mingyu nods quickly, trying not to seem too eager. “Yeah, yeah, it’s cool.” He stays there standing for a while more, just staring at Wonwoo. His body heats up at the idea that Wonwoo will be staying here – with him, in his bed. Wonwoo throws him a strange look.

            “Uh, you okay there?” He waves a hand in front of Mingyu’s face, his lips quirking. “If your face gets any hotter, you’re going to cook those eggs in your hair, Mingyu-ah.”

            Mingyu laughs and sticks his tongue out. “Funny.”

            Wonwoo lets out a chuckle and then he’s shooing Mingyu from the kitchen. “Bye now, I have to start cleaning up the mess that you made.” Mingyu raises a brow and Wonwoo corrects himself. “Fine, the mess we made. Now shoo! And don’t take too long because I would rather be without ketchup in my hair.”

            Mingyu salutes him. “Yes, hyung.”

            Wonwoo rolls his eyes at the antics, muttering underneath his breath, “Brat, why’d you have to be so handsome?”

            Mingyu just smiles at this, winking at his boyfriend.

            (This is how Wonwoo starts spending the nights at Mingyu’s place almost every night. And to think it all started with a food fight.)

⚘❁⚘

            Mingyu thinks libraries are boring. They’re too quiet and he prefers a little noise. He also doesn’t like the fact that libraries are a public place, which means that his friends (or fan club, as the others call it) can follow him there. Now, Mingyu doesn’t mind them exactly, it’s just sometimes he would rather be alone. He can already spot from the corner of his eye the group of girls that are sitting at the table next to him, their gazes not leaving his face at all.

            Mingyu hates libraries and yet here he is because Wonwoo loves libraries.

            Wonwoo sits next to Mingyu, bent over a book, his eyes scanning the pages carefully and meticulously. Mingyu is resting his arm around the back of Wonwoo’s chair so that people will get the message to back off. Already, in the thirty minutes that they have been here, three people have come up to Wonwoo pretending to need help looking for something. Mingyu finally caught on when the last person came and he pointed at the badge on their shirt, exclaiming, “I’m sorry, but don’t you work here?”

            Wonwoo had turned red at the loud outburst, sticking his nose into a book that he has refused to look up from. Mingyu thinks he’s probably mad at him.

            It’s the beginning of March now, which means that the rain is still going strong to signify the beginning of spring. Plants need water to grow and all that, but the rain is making Mingyu feel tired.

            Mingyu’s phone buzzes in his hand and Wonwoo looks up for the first time to throw a glare at him. Mingyu struggles to silence the phone quickly. Wonwoo immediately looks down with pursed lips, concentrating on his book again. Mingyu sighs and looks at the text that just came in.

            Do you want me to pick something up before I head home?

            Mingyu frowns, sees that it was Joshua that sent the message and sends back a quick What?

            Immediately, his phone lights up with a reply. Oh my god, it reads, I’m so sorry. I thought I was texting Jeonghan.

            Mingyu raises a brow and types out a reply. Jeonghan and Mingyu aren’t even close, hyung. And home? Is Jeonghan still living with you? It’s been a month.

            His phone is silent for a minute but then it lights up with a long message. Yeah but you were the last person I was texting beside him, so I just got confused. Jeonghan is still living with me, but it’s not a big deal. I promise. We’re just friends, I swear. I’m still with Jihoon. Jeonghan is just having a hard time trying to find a place to stay, is all.

            Mingyu rolls his eyes. And does Jihoon still not know about this?

            Well, Mingyu can practically see Joshua nervously chew his lip, no. But he’s so busy! I think he got promoted or something because we hardly go on dates anymore and he seems so stressed all the time :(

            You know what would add to that stress? Finding out that his boyfriend is living with the boy he used to like. Either break up with him or tell him because this isn’t fair.

            He doesn’t get to see what Joshua replied because his phone is snatched from his hands. He blinks at the empty space where his phone was, watching Wonwoo as he stuffs the phone in his own pocket. Mingyu frowns and leans over towards the other boy.

            “I was using that,” he whispers.

            “Yes, I heard. You were making a lot of noise while you were typing.” His lips turn into a straight line and his eyes glance at the table beside him. His eyes form slits. “Can you tell your fan club to stop staring at us?”

            Mingyu glances back at them. They all smile and wave, giggling amongst themselves. Mingyu glances back at Wonwoo. “They’re not bothering us.”

            This, apparently, is the wrong thing to say.

            Wonwoo slams his book shut, standing up with a taut back as he glares down at Mingyu. “Fine,” he hisses, gathering the books to his chest. The sleeves of his sweater cover his palms and he’s wearing glasses today that he pushes higher up his nose. “You can stay here with them. I’m leaving.”

            Mingyu is bewildered as he watches Wonwoo stomp away. He shakes his head slowly, sighing as he stands up. He gives a look at the people staring at him, a look that he hope says don’t follow me. He guesses that they get the message because he manages to get outside without anyone following him.

            Wonwoo is leaning against the side of the building as he glares at the floor. He must have deposited the books somewhere inside because he holds nothing in his arms. Mingyu walks over to him, playing with his car keys inside his pocket. Wonwoo turns to glance at him as he approaches before he’s back to glaring at the floor.

            Mingyu sighs and stands over his boyfriend. “Did I do something wrong?”

            Wonwoo tightens his jaw. “I have a shift in thirty minutes.”

            “Great,” replies Mingyu, growing frustrated, “I’ll take you as soon as you tell me what the hell is going on.”

            Wonwoo tightens his jaw at the words and shoves at Mingyu’s chest. “Take me to work right now.”

            “No,” Mingyu snaps back. He sees Wonwoo try to duck around him and he reaches out to plant a hand on the wall beside Wonwoo’s head. “Now tell me what your problem is.”

            Wonwoo jerks his head up, his eyes wide with surprise. “My problem?” he says in an incredulous voice. “My problem is that you had to – to make a scene when that guy came up to us!”

            Mingyu groans. “He was trying to flirt with you! Couldn’t you see that?”

            “Me? Are you kidding me? He was not interested in me at all!”

            “Yes he was, couldn’t you see the way he was looking at you? He looked like he wanted to you right there.”

            Wonwoo winces at the words, his face flushing with anger. He reaches out to poke Mingyu in the chest. “Don’t use that tone with me!” His voice grows louder. “And even if he was flirting with me, so what? I have to deal with people flirting with you ALL THE TIME.”

            Mingyu rolls his eyes. “Is that what this is? You’re jealous because people think I’m good-looking?”

            Wonwoo shakes in anger. “You sound awfully conceited right now, Mingyu. You better watch yourself.”

            “Wonwoo, who cares about other people? I only want you.”

            “Oh, so it’s okay for you to get angry when someone flirts with me but I can’t get angry when there’s people following you around literally all the time begging for attention?”

            Mingyu lets out a deep breathe, trying to kill his anger. “You’re right, it’s not okay. I’m sorry for losing my cool but….” He tightens his jaw, trying to look at Wonwoo in the eye but the older boy is glaring at Mingyu’s shoes. “Wonwoo, I like you so much that I’m so scared of losing you. You showed no interest in me for almost two years. I guess I’m just waiting for the day that you realize you deserve someone better.”

            Wonwoo’s eyes soften and he spares a quick glance at Mingyu. His eyes look terribly guilty and sad and he quickly glances back down. He pulls his lower lip between his teeth, his hand circling around his wrist. “Mingyu, I’m so sorry. But you have to just trust me when I say I like you.”

            “I do,” he whispers. “I guess I’m just scared that you’ll go back to your mate and leave me behind. But you know what? I don’t care if you do that. All that matters to me is that you’re happy.”

            Wonwoo winces. “I’m happy with you.” He finally looks up at him, his eyes wet. He sniffs, reaching underneath his glasses to wipe at the wetness pooling on his lashes. “You jerk, you made me cry.”

            Mingyu smiles and brings his hands to cup Wonwoo’s face. He tilts Wonwoo’s face up so he can plant a soft kiss to the tip of Wonwoo’s nose, causing the other boy to scrunch his nose up. “I’m sorry,” he whispers. “I won’t do it again, I promise.”

            Wonwoo hums, angling his body closer to Mingyu’s. “It’s okay.”

            And Wonwoo is the one who tugs at the end of Mingyu’s shirt, bringing the taller boy down until their lips connect.

            After a few minutes, Wonwoo pulls back, his lips moist and red. He’s panting as he says, “I really have to work today.”

            Mingyu is already bringing his lips back down. “Hmm, Soonyoung-hyung won’t mind if you’re late.”

⚘❁⚘

            Wonwoo is sitting in the passengers’ seat of Mingyu’s car, laughing as Mingyu checks his reflection in the mirror for the fifth time.

            “Mingyu,” Wonwoo breathes out a chuckle. “You look fine. Can we please just go?”

            Mingyu grumbles, reaching out to fix the collar of his button-down shirt. “Yeah, let me just make sure that my shirt is okay…”

            Wonwoo rolls his eyes, sighing loudly as he slumps in his seat. “Mingyu, please. You’ve already met my family before. I don’t know what you’re so nervous about.”

            Mingyu gives him a look, continuing to tug at his collar. “But this is my first time being around them as your boyfriend. I have to make a good impression.”

            “Mingyu, my family already loves you.” He reaches out to grab Mingyu’s hands, stilling the other boy’s movement. “Will you please calm down? We’ve been sitting out here for thirty minutes and I’m hungry.”

            Mingyu slowly releases a breath. Okay so maybe he was exaggerating a tiny bit, but could you blame him? He already knows Wonwoo’s family and that means they know that Mingyu used to date around a lot. So, yeah, he’s a little nervous. He wants to prove to them that he’s worthy of being with Wonwoo.

            “Okay,” Mingyu finally relents. “We can go in, but you have to stay with me because I don’t want to say anything inappropriate.”

            Wonwoo rolls his eyes. “My brother likes it when you’re inappropriate, he thinks it’s funny.” He tugs at Mingyu’s hands. “Now come on.” Just before he steps out of the car, he pauses and leans back to press a hard kiss to Mingyu’s mouth, leaving the other boy dazed. “Everything will be fine,” he whispers.

            He’s right. Mingyu doesn’t have anything to worry about. Nothing is different, there’s no awkwardness as they have dinner and conversation flows fluently between everyone. It only gets awkward when they’ve finished having dessert. Mingyu is playing with Wonwoo’s fingers and Wonwoo’s brother turns to him with curious eyes and says, “So, are you marked?”

            Mingyu freezes and Wonwoo tenses up. Wonwoo throws a look at his bother, already prepared to scold him. Mingyu presses his fingers lightly against Wonwoo’s wrist, shaking his head to signify that he can handle it.

            Out of the corner of his eye, Mingyu sees Wonwoo’s parents lean forward in their seats. They have their marks on their left pointer finger. Even Wonwoo’s little brother has a name peeking from the collar of his shirt close to his shoulder. Everyone in Wonwoo’s family is marked.

            Mingyu hesitates. He has never told Wonwoo that he’s marked, but he doesn’t want to look these people in the eye and lie. “Yes,” he finally says, “I am marked.”

            Wonwoo becomes more tense underneath Mingyu’s palms and Mingyu slowly massages the other boy’s wrist, trying to get him to calm down. He can feel the thrum of Wonwoo’s erratic heart beat. Wonwoo finally drops his stiff posture after a while, but his eyes betray him. They’re full of confusion and hurt.

            “I’m sorry, do you mind if Mingyu and I are excused?”

            His mother barely nods yes before Wonwoo is dragging Mingyu away. He opens a door and throws him in. Mingyu stumbles in, recognizing the room as Wonwoo’s old room. He’s only been in here once before. Wonwoo leans his forehead against the door and Mingyu can see the shake of his shoulders.

            “You’re marked?” he chokes out.

            Mingyu sighs. “Yes,” he says in a clear voice, “I am.”

            Wonwoo doesn’t turn to face him. His voice is incredibly small as he asks, “Why didn’t you ever tell me?”

            Mingyu shrugs although Wonwoo can’t see it. “You never asked.”

            Wonwoo turns around, tears spilling from his eyes but he looks incredibly angry as he spits out, “Now’s not that time for you to be funny, Mingyu.”

            “I’m not being funny.” Mingyu sighs and reaches out for Wonwoo. The other boy doesn’t protest as Mingyu tugs him close. He uses his thumbs to wipe the tears away. “I made you cry again, I’m sorry.”

            Wonwoo doesn’t move, just stands there with his arms swinging lifelessly at his sides. “You’re marked,” he mumbles miserably.

            Mingyu sighs again. This is all just one big mess. He tugs Wonwoo, whispering, “Come lay with me.”

            Wonwoo easily follows as Mingyu lays them down on the bed. Mingyu curls his arms around Wonwoo. Wonwoo presses his hands against Mingyu’s chest, playing with a button. Mingyu can’t believe he’s finally going to do this.

            “Do you remember on our first date? When you asked me why I date around a lot?” He waits until he feels Wonwoo nod. “Well, I lied. I don’t date because I’m trying to make a point. I started dating around because I got my heart broken.”

            Wonwoo is quiet so Mingyu continues.

            “Before you started working at the café, we had someone else there. Me and him… we were like magic. Everything about him was perfect. It was my first real relationship. He was older than I was, so he turned eighteen before I did.” Mingyu pauses. “To say that I was heartbroken to find out I wasn’t his mate would be an understatement. I was devastated. I would have been willing to stay together, but he was so eager to go and find his mate. I know he didn’t want to hurt me, but he ended up hurting me anyway. I guess I can see his reasoning now, but I hated him at the time.”

            He takes a deep breath and continues. “I hated everything. I hated the stupid marks and I hated him so much. But I hated that I didn’t hate him, you know? Because I understood. Why would he want me when there was someone else out there? So I started fooling around, thinking that if I was with enough people, I could forget the feel of him.”

            He smiles down at Wonwoo, who is regarding him with serious eyes. “Of course, two months after he left, you started working there. And I was this close to calling everything off because I just knew from the moment I saw you that no one could compare to you. You were… everything. You were funny and nice and smart and you weren’t afraid to call me out on my bull. But I was still scared. And then, well, you were so close to turning eighteen as well that I didn’t want to go through the same thing twice. So I stayed back. Which I regret now, because maybe if I would have stopped dating around, you would have accepted me sooner.”

            Wonwoo snorts at this and it makes Mingyu laugh.

            “Anyway,” he continues, “I thought for the longest time that I wasn’t going to have a mate at all, because that would be just my luck. So imagine my surprise when I woke up on my eighteenth birthday to something burning on my hip.” He blinks at the memory. “I was so surprised and nervous because I’d already ed up so many things in the past and I didn’t want to mess this up either. So I didn’t tell anyone.”

            Wonwoo shoves against his chest, wiggling until he’s looking Mingyu straight in the eyes. “Mingyu,” he speaks quietly, “who’s your mate?”           

            And Mingyu smiles, sitting up as he starts untucking his shirt from his jeans. Wonwoo sits up as well, watching him cautiously. Mingyu sighs, looks at Wonwoo, and the moment feels so heavy as Mingyu lifts his shirt up, exposing his right hipbone to Wonwoo. Wonwoo’s eyes go wide and his mouth drops open.

            “It’s you,” Mingyu whispers, glancing down at his mark – and there it is, just as bright and bold as it was the day he got it.

            Wonwoo.

            Mingyu doesn’t know what he expects but he definitely does not expect Wonwoo to start sobbing. He panics, releasing his shirt and tugging Wonwoo into his lap as the older boy shoves a fist into his mouth, repeating the same words over and over, “Oh my god.

            “Wonwoo, oh no, I’m so sorry. Please don’t cry.”

            Wonwoo just shakes his head, tears flowing endlessly from his eyes. Mingyu continues to wipe them away as fast as he can but Wonwoo seems to cry for hours until he finally falls asleep against Mingyu’s chest.

            Okay, Mingyu thinks as he runs a comforting hand down Wonwoo’s back, so that did not go as planned.

⚘❁⚘

            Wonwoo likes to trace his name with his fingers – and sometimes, when he’s feeling bold, he’ll trace it with his tongue.

            Mingyu likes the feel of Wonwoo’s skin touching his, but there’s something off about the way that Wonwoo has been acting since the day in his room. He doesn’t know what exactly it is, but he has a feeling that it’s got to do with Wonwoo’s mate. What else could it possibly be?

            Because, you see, Mingyu is okay with being broken. He’s okay with being mates with someone who may be already mated with someone else. He’s okay with that pain as long as he gets Wonwoo.

            But he doesn’t know if Wonwoo wants him anymore.

            That might explain why he’s become more touchy lately. Mingyu will be at work – getting things ready or scolding Joshua (because he still hasn’t told Jihoon about Jeonghan and it’s mid March now) – when suddenly Wonwoo will come and wrap himself around him. He presses kisses down Mingyu’s back, his hands exploring Mingyu’s body and Mingyu will be shocked because since when is Wonwoo that bold?

            Wonwoo likes to kiss him now – not that he didn’t like to before, but it’s different now. Wonwoo kisses him hard and fiercely and so passionately that Mingyu is surprised that it’s even the same person. Wonwoo will press against Mingyu like every kiss is their last one.

            And that’s just it.

            It feels like Wonwoo is getting ready to say goodbye.

            Mingyu is currently laying down in his bed, looking down at Wonwoo who is resting his head in his hand on Mingyu’s chest. He’s tracing patterns on Mingyu’s bare chest, his fingers brushing over the mark on Mingyu’s hip. That’s another thing – Wonwoo likes to look at Mingyu’s mark a lot. It’s almost like he can’t believe that it’s actually there.

            Wonwoo sighs sadly, resting his cheek on Mingyu’s chest.

            “You okay?” Mingyu asks.

            Wonwoo nods against his skin. “I’m fine,” he says unconvincingly.

            Mingyu frowns and he reaches a hand out to tangle it in Wonwoo’s hair. Wonwoo glances up at him, his eyes blank. “Are you sure?”

            Wonwoo bites his lip. “Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind.”

            “Like what? You know you can talk to me, Wonwoo. I’m your boyfriend.”

            And was it just Mingyu or did Wonwoo wince when he said boyfriend?

            “I know I can talk to you. I just…” he sighs. “I don’t think you’ll like what I have to say.”

            Mingyu grins, trying to bring a smile to the other boy’s face. “Try me.”

            But Wonwoo sighs, shaking his head and sitting up. He throws his leg over Mingyu’s hip, leaning back and sitting on Mingyu’s thighs. “Do you remember that guy you told me about? The one from before that broke your heart?” Mingyu frowns and nods. “Well, whatever happened to him? Was he okay?”

            “If you’re asking whether he found his mate, he did. They’re very happy together.”

            Wonwoo tilts his head. “Do you hate him – for hurting you?”

            “Not really. It’s not his fault he was marked with someone else.” Mingyu frowns. “Do you hate your mate for hurting you?”

            Wonwoo looks away, his voice quiet. “No, I don’t hate him. My mate never hurt me.” He looks at Mingyu with blank eyes. “I never gave him the chance.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I mean, when I found out I had my mark, I never gave my mate a chance. I pushed him away because I was scared.” His eyes are downcast. “I was so stupid. I should have given him a chance then. It would have saved me a lot pain.”

            Mingyu clears his throat, frowning. What is this? Is Wonwoo confessing that he would rather be with his mate than with him? He doesn’t want to think about Wonwoo leaving, it hurts too much.

            “Wonwoo,” Mingyu whispers. He shifts so he can bring his arms up to tug Wonwoo closer to his chest. He presses a kiss to the hollow of Wonwoo’s neck. “Do I make you happy?”

            Wonwoo lets out a small noise as Mingyu plants another kiss to his neck, but he doesn’t answer.

            Mingyu nips the base of his neck. “Do I?” he asks again.

            Wonwoo hums, closing his eyes and pressing his hips tighter against Mingyu’s. “Yes,” he whispers back just as soft.

            “Then stay with me,” he whispers. Wonwoo snaps his eyes open to look at Mingyu in surprise. Mingyu lets his eyes go soft, letting one hand tangle into Wonwoo’s hair. “Stay with me and let me make you happy. I know I said I would let you go if that was what you wanted, and I would, but give me a chance.” He tilts Wonwoo’s head back so they can look each other directly in the eyes. “Stay with me, don’t leave.”

            Wonwoo tenses his jaw and shuts his eyes tight. “I don’t deserve this.”

            Mingyu doesn’t get what he means, so he kisses him. He doesn’t know how he knows that Wonwoo is having doubts and wanting to leave, but he had his suspicions. This conversation they’ve just had proves that Wonwoo is doubting Mingyu and Mingyu will try his damn hardest to show Wonwoo that he can make him happier than his mate ever could.

            Mingyu kisses Wonwoo hard and demanding, his hands sliding lower and lower. Wonwoo lets out a soft noise, presses closer to Mingyu. But Mingyu needs to be closer. He pushes tighter, pressing and moving his hips and Wonwoo lets out a small moan that drives Mingyu ing insane and he has to hear him make that noise again.

            Wonwoo is mumbling against his lips, digging his fingers into the waistband of Mingyu’s pajama bottoms. “Please,” he’s whispering, “please, Mingyu.”

            And Mingyu aims to please, so he flips them over easily, his eyes assessing the panting mess that is Wonwoo underneath him. Wonwoo still has his shirt and pajama bottoms on, so Mingyu is quick to try to tug them off.

            As soon as Mingyu tries to pull Wonwoo’s shirt up and off, Mingyu is barely getting a glimpse of smooth, soft skin before Wonwoo’s hand flies down to tug the shirt back into place with a surprising strength.

            “No,” he says in a forceful voice.

            But Mingyu doesn’t listen, because he could have sworn he saw something else by Wonwoo’s stomach. He tries to tug at the shirt again but Wonwoo holds it in place. They struggle for a while, Mingyu trying to tug at Wonwoo’s shirt and Wonwoo snapping for him to leave it alone.

            Wonwoo is the one who tugs his shirt back too forcefully, causing it to rip.

            And Mingyu gets a good look at what Wonwoo was hiding.

            He feels an anger like he’s never felt before crawl up his chest and sit in his throat, followed by the hot burning sting of betrayal and sadness. He blinks the wetness from his eyes, looking in shock at Wonwoo. Wonwoo no longer looks angry, instead he looks worried.

            “Wonwoo,” Mingyu whispers, pointing down at it, “what is this?”

            And he already knows what it is, he just has to hear him say it, wants to make sure he’s right…

            “My mark,” Wonwoo whispers, his voice shaking, “it’s my mark.”

            It’s bold and bright and sits comfortably on Wonwoo’s skin like it’s always been there – like he was born with it. It sits on his right hip bone, the name standing out against his skin.

            Mingyu.


a/n: don't hate me? i put a bit of 2ji and a brief mention of jihan. also, this chapter included a time jump so the next chapters will take place at the same time (as in mid-march). hope this is okay. it's three in the morning and i have to wake up early ha h a :')