from then to now

i'm waiting just for you

            The December before Wonwoo turns eighteen, he decides to get a job. It’s not that he needs the money, per say, but his little brother has recently become occupied with a mate and Wonwoo does not feel like being a third wheel anymore. If he was going to be wasting his time, he figured he should as least be getting paid.

            So, on the first days of December, Wonwoo marches into a littered café and walks right up to the counter and asks for a job. The man at the counter blinks in confusion, his lips curving into a smile as he laughs.

            “A job?” he asks. “That’s a very bold way of asking – do you know how to bake?”

            And Wonwoo nods, because his little brother is a fan of sweets so Wonwoo is always making him stuff. He ignores the flaming of his cheeks at his rash statement, but says, “I can make just about anything.” He glances at the coffee machines and adds, “I can make coffee too.”

            The man drums his fingers on the counter. He has thinning hair and deep laugh lines around his mouth that show a happy life. “Well, we did just lose someone a little while ago…” His eyes are kind as he looks over Wonwoo. “Tell you what...”

            “Jeon Wonwoo,” he supplies, bowing. “My name is Jeon Wonwoo.”

            The man smiles kindly. “Tell you what, Jeon Wonwoo, come back tomorrow and you can meet my son. This whole place is going to be his soon, so it’s really up to him to decide.”

            And Wonwoo doesn’t know what he was expecting when he comes back the next day, but it certainly isn’t the white-haired smiling boy who barely looks older than Wonwoo himself.

            The other boy bows, the same kind eyes, a teasing grin on his lips. “Hi, Wonwoo, right? I’m Soonyoung. My dad tells me you want a job?”

            Wonwoo nods, barely opening his mouth to respond before Soonyoung is throwing a rag in his direction, exclaiming, “You’re hired! You can wipe down the counter a bit and then I’ll get Jisoo to train you.”

            “I’m hired?” he asks incredulously. It isn’t that he is complaining exactly, but he’d barely been introduced to the other boy. How is he sure that Wonwoo wasn’t a bad guy? (He isn’t, but that doesn’t matter). It doesn’t seem very safe.

            Soonyoung shrugs. “What? You’re cute.” Wonwoo is opening his mouth to protest but his lips clamp shut as he blushes and Soonyoung gives a twinkling laugh. “Look, as long as you don’t steal, show up on the days you’re supposed to and get along with the rest of the boys here, I don’t have a problem. Do you? Do you want me to sit behind a desk and ask you what your future goals are? Because I really don’t want to do that, but I’ll do it if it makes you feel more comfortable.”

            Wonwoo feels his lips form a scowl, his blush diminishing. “No, I’m okay.” He drops the rag on the counter and pushes it around in an attempt to wipe it clean. The counter is sticky and full of what seems to be syrup residue. A quick glance lets him know that there’s also some syrup on the ceiling – how did that get there? Wonwoo pulls his lips between his teeth to keep from commenting.

            “Jisoo-hyung and Mingyu had a fight with the syrup earlier,” Soonyoung says, seeming to have read his mind as he too glances at the ceiling. “Something about trying to come up with a new flavor or something.”

            Wonwoo winces as syrup falls on the back of his hand. He wipes it with a rag. “Is your dad going to come back?”

            Soonyoung blinks slowly. “Not really. He’s only going to be around occasionally, but this place is mine now.” And he gives Wonwoo a wide, mischievous grin that makes Wonwoo question whether that is the best course of action. Just as Wonwoo is about to comment, the door to the kitchen is pushed open and a tall, thin boy covered in flour is stepping past the door.

            The boy whines, shaking flour from his hair as he walks over to Soonyoung and drapes his lanky frame over the other boy. Soonyoung leans against the counter, an irritated smile on his face. “Soonyoung,” the boy whines, “I don’t want to do this anymore. Mingyu ditched me in the kitchen.” His eyes lazily pass to Wonwoo and away before they glance back, lighting up with interest. “Who is that?”

            Soonyoung pushes against the other boy to try to get him off as he says, “Jisoo-hyung, this is Wonwoo. I just hired him to be the cook here.” Soonyoung frowns, still trying to push Jisoo off of him. “And what do you mean Mingyu left?”

            “Joshua,” the other boy – Joshua or Jisoo, apparently – corrects. “You can call me Joshua. Jisoo is my Korean name, and I’m still not that used to it,” he tells Wonwoo. His eyes are sparkling and his lips are curling up into a catlike smile. To Soonyoung, he adds, “Please call me Joshua. Oh and yeah, Mingyu left me like ten minutes ago to go hang out with boyfriend number one or number two.” He squints. “Or was it one of his girlfriends? I don’t know.” He shrugs. “I forgot which one it was.”

            “That brat – hyung, will you please get off of me? You’re heavier than you look.” Joshua lazily shifts his body so he can rest against the counter instead. Soonyoung stands to his full height, dusting flour off his clothes. “Listen, hyung, I was going to ask you to train Wonwoo, but I need you to go get Mingyu instead.”

            Joshua snorts, his nose curling up in distaste. “I don’t want to stumble upon that.”

            Wonwoo clears his throat, bringing the attention back to him. “Um, sorry, but what exactly am I supposed to be doing?”

            Soonyoung blinks slowly, sharing a look with Joshua before he turns to Wonwoo with a wide smile. “Well, I’m just gonna give you a tour today and you can come back tomorrow to actually work and then I’ll introduce you to my other ungrateful worker. How does that sound? I mean, unless you have plans today?”

            Wonwoo thinks back to his little brother, who had left home to go on a date with his mate, and says, “No, I don’t have any plans.”

⚘❁⚘

            It’s December the fifth, at exactly 10:16 am, when he first meets Mingyu.

            There is a tall, handsome boy leaning against the counter when Wonwoo comes in the next day after he is hired. The boy has shaggy, black hair that tickles just the tips of his eyelashes, which are curled around sparkling brown eyes. He wears a curved, charming smile as he brushes a hand against his sharp jaw. He is entirely focused on the small boy who is standing on the other side of the counter.

            He hands the small boy a coffee, grinning as he winks. “Here’s your coffee, and thanks for visiting me,” he speaks in a soft, deep voice that vibrates deep in Wonwoo’s bones.

            The small boy blushes, his fingers curling around the coffee and he reaches into his pocket to stuff a handful of bills into the tips jar before he scurries past Wonwoo on his way outside.

            The other boy’s eyes light up as soon as he catches sight of Wonwoo and his lips curl into an overly flirty smile as he uses his palms to hold him up against the counter. “Well,” he drawls in a flirty tone as he eyes Wonwoo from head to toe, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you before. What can I do to help you, sweetheart?”

            Wonwoo frowns, ignoring the flaming of his cheeks, and says, “I’m Wonwoo. I work here.”

            The boy doesn’t drop his flirty look – in fact, his smile curves bigger and he drops his voice to a husky tone as he says, “Just my luck, I get to work with an angel like you.” He shakes his hair from his eyes, his eyes alight with interest. “I’m Mingyu.”

            Mingyu? As in the Mingyu that skipped out of work early the other day to go with boyfriend number one or two? Or one of his girlfriends? Wonwoo stares at him in distaste while Mingyu’s lips tilt into an even flirter smile. “Hmm,” he flicks his eyebrows up, “my pleasure.”

            Mingyu opens his mouth, his eyes positively hot, and Wonwoo guesses that whatever he was going to say is not entirely innocent, but Wonwoo never gets to know what that is because suddenly a voice yells from the kitchen.

            “Mingyu! Are you flirting with my new worker?!” Soonyoung’s voice calls from the back.

            Mingyu doesn’t disconnect his gaze from Wonwoo’s as he calls back, “I’m trying to but you’re kind of ruining my chances here, hyung!”

            Now, Wonwoo has always considered himself a bit of a quiet person, or at least tame compared to his friends and brother, so he has no idea why he audibly snorts out a chuckle and rolls his eyes as he says, “Please, you didn’t have a chance to begin with.”

            This makes Mingyu’s brows flick up and hide beneath his hair. There’s an amused and curious look in his eyes, like he’s never heard anything like what Wonwoo just said. “Excuse me?”

            From behind the kitchen doors, Wonwoo hears Soonyoung laughing loudly.

            Wonwoo rolls his eyes at the taller boy and he pushes his way to go behind the counter. He pauses on his way to the kitchen, glancing back to peek at Mingyu from beneath his brows. Mingyu is looking at him with a slack-jawed expression, a certain sparkle to his eyes. It makes Wonwoo lift his nose up and roll his eyes as he mutters under his breath, “What a flirt.”

⚘❁⚘

            “So I was thinking we could add something other than just cakes and cookies, you know? We can have like macarons and scones and stuff. Like, pastries – nice pastries. ”

            Soonyoung holds his chin delicately in his hands, looking pensive as he stares at Wonwoo. Wonwoo worriedly chews his lip, trying to not appear too worried in front of his boss. Finally, after a minute, Soonyoung drops the look from his face and smiles widely, reaching out to clap a hand on Wonwoo’s shoulder. “I think that’s great! Are you sure you don’t mind all the extra work though?”

            Wonwoo waves a hand, trying to contain his excitement. He likes baking but baking just cakes and cookies is, well, boring. “Nah,” he responds in answer to Soonyoung, his lips quirking into a smile. “Besides, you can just pay me more.”

            Soonyoung rolls his eyes, walking back as he mutters, “You’ve only been here two weeks and yet you treat me like the rest of my workers.”

            Wonwoo shrugs, his lips forming a wide smile. “What can I say? I learn fast.”

            Soonyoung snorts, reaching out and stealing a scone from the tray that Wonwoo made in preparation for today. He quickly stuffs it in his mouth, and he speaks from around a mouthful, “Rude. I’m still your boss.”

            Wonwoo crinkles his nose. “Please don’t talk with your mouth full.”

            Joshua speaks from where he is busy placing frosting on a cake on the other side of the kitchen. “Soonyoung has no table manners. He isn’t housebroken yet.”

            Wonwoo knows what is coming so he ducks just as Soonyoung throws the rest of his scone to the back of Joshua’s head. Joshua let out a whine, rubbing the back of his head as he turns to glare at his boss.

            “Hello? I’m older than you.”

            “Sorry, hyung,” Soonyoung supplies in a sickly sweet voice. “My hand slipped.”

            Joshua turns back to frosting the cake, putting the finishing touches as he mutters, “Brat.” As soon as he’s done with the cake, he cuts out a slice and places it delicately on a plate. He places that plate and quickly makes a cup of coffee to set on a tray when Mingyu steps through the doors, looking worried.

            Mingyu’s eyes are glued to Joshua, his tone serious. “Angel is here.”

            And a heavy tension hangs over the other workers.

            Joshua blinks slowly, his cheeks coloring. “Oh,” he says softly, pushing the tray away from him.

            Wonwoo may have only been here for two weeks, but he definitely knows who Angel is. Angel is a nickname given to the pretty boy who comes in almost every day – he gets the same thing, an Americano and two cakes (one for here, one to go) – and there’s an unspoken rule that Joshua should never be the one to serve him. Because he likes him, and Angel already has a name curled around his wrist.

            Mingyu grabs the tray from Joshua’s hands. “I can take care of it.” He nods towards the door. “You can stay here.”

            Soonyoung frowns, his eyes sad as he starts to walk towards the older boy. “Joshua – ”

            But Joshua quickly turns on his heel and slams the door behind him as he heads outside. Soonyoung sighs heavily, his shoulders dropping as he pinches the bridge of his nose and mutters under his breath as he steps into his office.

            “Does this happen a lot?” Wonwoo asks Mingyu. He’s already preparing Angel’s order so Mingyu can take it out.

            “Pretty much,” Mingyu shrugs. Wonwoo shuffles over and places the drink and two pastries on the tray that Mingyu is holding. Mingyu looks down at him with a small smile and an honest look on his face. “Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to go get something to eat after work today?”

            Wonwoo gives him a droll stare. “I’m not going out with you, Mingyu.”

            Mingyu raises a brow. “I didn’t say I was asking you out on a date. Besides, what would be so wrong if I was? Do you not like me?”

            Wonwoo thinks about Mingyu – with his charming smile and good looks – and knows that’s not it. It’s not that Wonwoo doesn’t like him – he’s been here for two weeks and he’s gotten to know everyone fairly well, so he knows how kind and funny Mingyu is – so Wonwoo does like Mingyu. The only problem is that so does everyone else.

            “You’re my coworker,” he decides on. “Plus, I’m turning eighteen pretty soon, so that means I’ll be off limits.”

            And that statement seems to make Mingyu snap out of his flirty smile because he colors red and turns on his heel to walk out of the kitchen, making Wonwoo regret what he said.

⚘❁⚘

            “Do you need help?”

            Wonwoo looks up from where he’s kneading dough. There’s batter on his cheek and flour in his hair and on the front of his shirt because he still doesn’t have a proper apron. Mingyu is peeking at him from around the door. Wonwoo’s lips curl into a scowl at the sight of the other boy.

            He thinks it’s perfectly justified considering the fact that Mingyu was just out there flirting with an entire group of people.

            Wonwoo had gone out to call Mingyu and tell him that his order was ready but as soon as he’d peeked out of the door, he caught sight of Mingyu leaning against a table. His lips were in a flirty smile as he laughed with the group of people who were seated around him. Wonwoo hadn’t missed the fact that someone had their hand on his thigh and Mingyu hadn’t bothered to brush it off at all.

            He knows he has no right to be irritated but, well, he is.

            Wonwoo uses his forearm to wipe at his eyes, his lips tugging into a frown. “I’m okay,” he says, “making scones isn’t that hard, you know.”

            Mingyu walks in and lets the door slam behind him. Wonwoo doesn’t even get the chance to protest before Mingyu is swiping at his cheek. He sticks it in his mouth, rolling his tongue as he off the batter. His eyes light up as he says, “Wow, this is really good.”

            Wonwoo crinkles his nose. “Disgusting. Looks like you aren’t housebroken either.”

            Mingyu throws his head back and lets out a hearty laugh. He shakes hair from his eyes, lifting his brows up high as he leans his body closer to Wonwoo. As he gets closer, Wonwoo curls back until Mingyu is an inch from his face. When Mingyu speaks, his voice is husky and teasing.

            “Would you like to train me?” His lips curve into a flirty smile as Wonwoo turns pink. “I’m sure you can turn me into your own personal puppy.”

            And Wonwoo straightens up, looking at Mingyu directly in the eyes as he says, “Thanks, but I’m more of a cat person.”

⚘❁⚘

            Two days before Christmas, Mingyu gives Wonwoo a present, which catches Wonwoo off guard. Christmas is usually a holiday for couples – he knows because his brother had been thrown into a panic trying to find something for his mate – and Mingyu and him are definitely not a couple, so suffice to say that Wonwoo is surprised.

            The present is thin and wrapped haphazardly in red wrapping paper with a gold ribbon tying it all together. Wonwoo blinks at Mingyu’s outstretched hand, his brows furrowing as he looks from the present to Mingyu’s grinning face.

            “Mingyu,” he says slowly, “what is this?”

            Mingyu rolls his eyes, leaning his hip against the counter. “It’s a bike, hyung.” Wonwoo scowls and it makes Mingyu laugh loudly, the sound echoing in the kitchen. He pushes the gift against Wonwoo’s chest. “Come on, hyung, open it.”

            Wonwoo pulls his lip between his teeth, grabbing the present and ignoring the hammering of his heart. “I didn’t get you anything.”

            Mingyu smiles and shakes his head, crossing his arms over his chest. “I’m not asking for anything in return. Just open your gift, hyung.”

            Wonwoo lightly tugs at the ribbon, looking at Mingyu from underneath his lashes. It probably isn’t a big deal but Wonwoo can’t help but ask, “Why did you get me a present, Mingyu?”

            Mingyu shrugs, his answer falling easily past his lips. “Because I wanted to.” He must notice Wonwoo’s look because he rolls his eyes and knocks his hip with Wonwoo’s. “Come on, it’s not like I’m confessing my undying love for you, hyung. It’s just a gift.”

            “Way to ruin the moment,” Wonwoo mutteres, ignoring the crestfallen feeling in his chest as he finishes tugging the ribbon and paper off. He blinks at what he’s holding in his hands, unfolding it and holding it up for him to see. He blinks slowly at the present in his hands and, against his better judgment, he laughs.

            Mingyu grins, lifting his hand up and biting at his thumb. “Do you like it?”

            Wonwoo looks at the white apron in his hands, the words Cat Puns Freak Meowt pressed on the front along with an image of a frazzled, black cat. He laughs again, holding it to his chest. His eyes are positively glowing and his smile is contagious as he says, “I love it. Thank you.”

            Mingyu grins and then he pulls something from underneath the cabinet. “I have one just like it.” And he displays a similar apron, except this one says Look at Me Meow, I’m Getting Paypurr. Wonwoo has the fleeting thought that they have couples aprons before he pushes the thought away. No, flirty Mingyu would never get Wonwoo a couple anything. Because they weren’t a couple, despite the many suggestive comments Mingyu made.

            Mingyu drops his own apron on the counter and grabs Wonwoo’s apron. Before Wonwoo knows what’s happening, Mingyu is stepping towards Wonwoo. He lifts a hand and places the apron around Wonwoo’s neck. His hands reach up to secure the apron around Wonwoo’s waist and his close proximity makes Wonwoo feel like he can’t breath.

            Okay, so he’s not going to lie – he might have a tiny crush on Mingyu. But can you blame him? He’s been here for almost a month and the worker who has been the most entertaining and fun is Mingyu. Mingyu is always there –with his charming smile and sparkling eyes and flirty remark on the tip of his tongue. And he’s so touchy. All the time. Wonwoo has become accustomed to how comfortable Mingyu makes himself around people. Heck, on his third day there, Mingyu had pulled Wonwoo close and planted a kiss to the top of his head as he called him a little kitten.

            But that’s part of the problem – Mingyu is touchy and comfortable with everyone.

            So Wonwoo’s not special, but his heart still skips a beat as Mingyu rests his hands on Wonwoo’s waist and leans back to get a good look at him. Mingyu grins widely and he lifts one hand to bop Wonwoo on the tip of his nose, which causes the boy to scrunch his nose up.

            “You look adorable.” And Mingyu brings his head down to nuzzle against Wonwoo’s hair. “My adorable little kitten.”

            Soonyoung pushes past the doors just then and he makes a dramatic choking sound. “Gross, can you two not flirt in my kitchen?”

            Mingyu grins and releases Wonwoo. Wonwoo instantly feels cold, craving to be back in Mingyu’s arms. Mingyu, however, reaches out to pull Soonyoung into his chest, nuzzling his hair much like he did with Wonwoo.

            “Don’t be jealous, Soonyoung-hyung. There’s plenty of me to go around.”

            Soonyoung lets out a disgusted noise, shoving on Mingyu’s chest. “No thanks. Now go, Joshua went back home for the holidays so I need you to take care of things because I’m about to leave.”

            Mingyu releases Soonyoung and nods seriously. “Sir, yes sir.”

            Soonyoung rolls his eyes. “Idiot.” He spares Wonwoo a quick glance before he leaves, his eyes lighting up in interest. “Nice apron.”

            And Wonwoo feels himself blushing as Mingyu winks at him.

⚘❁⚘

            Wonwoo is taking out the trash to close out when he spots someone leaning against the building. It’s a girl. She has her eyes closed tight, a scarf wrapped tightly around her neck and covering . Her cheeks are colored red and her lashes look long and wispy as they lay against her smooth cheeks. Wonwoo doesn’t recognize her – she’s not one of the girls who hangs around the café.

            “Excuse me,” Wonwoo speaks and her eyes instantly snap open at the noise. They’re warm and friendly, strangely familiar. Wonwoo clears his throat. “You can’t be out here.”

            She speaks from behind her scarf, her voice muffled. “I’m waiting for Mingyu-oppa.”

            Wonwoo scowls. Ever since he has started working there, Wonwoo has noticed that some of Mingyu’s fanclub lingers around to try to weasel him into some alone time. It gets annoying; especially with the way they practically throw themselves at Mingyu.

            “Well, Mingyu isn’t – ”

            But he’s cut off by Mingyu himself peeking out of the café.

            “Hey, I finished closing out so I’m going to head out.” His eyes cut from Wonwoo to the girl and he looks shocked for a moment before he grins widely at the girl, who perks up at the sight of the taller boy.

            “Hey, I didn’t know you were going to wait for me. Just give me sec and I’ll be right out.”

            The girl looks at Wonwoo with a confused look in her eyes as Wonwoo stands there scowling. When Mingyu comes back out, he has on a thick coat and gloves. He gives Wonwoo a blank look before he shuffles closer to the girl. The girl immediately latches onto Mingyu’s arm.

            Wonwoo feels his lips curl into a scowl as Mingyu stares at him.

            “Well,” he steps back, “I have to finish locking the café, so I’ll see you later.”

            And he doesn’t spare Mingyu another glance as he walks back in, slamming the door shut behind him.

⚘❁⚘

            He ignores Mingyu – and it works for about, oh, three seconds.

            It’s January fifth when Wonwoo goes back to work and he knows that he and Mingyu have the same shift since Joshua is still in America visiting family. But he makes up his mind to ignore the other boy ever since what happened before Christmas.

            It doesn’t work because Mingyu immediately corners him as soon as he comes to clock in for his shift. Wonwoo is walking out of the storage room, carrying tins and more cups when Mingyu spots him and then before Wonwoo knows what’s happening, Mingyu is placing what Wonwoo is holding on the counter. He turns back to Wonwoo and he must see the intent to flee written in Wonwoo’s eyes because he stretches a hand out. His hand slams on the wall beside Wonwoo.

            His eyes looks serious and curious as he asks, “Are you okay?”

            Wonwoo blinks slowly. “I’m fine. Excuse me.” And he ducks from underneath Mingyu’s arm. He barely makes it forward when Mingyu is wrapping an arm around his waist and hauling him back.

            He speaks against Wonwoo’s hair. “Are you angry with me?”

            Wonwoo lets his body fall against Mingyu’s. He hates that he spent all of his time off work thinking about Mingyu. What is it about Mingyu that drives Wonwoo crazy? Mingyu is a flirt and Wonwoo has caught him multiple times flirting with people who have names on their body. But Mingyu is also kind and funny and he gives back just as much as Wonwoo gives and being with him is fun.

            “I’m not angry,” Wonwoo says. He presses his elbow against Mingyu’s stomach, causing the other boy to groan. “I’m just being dumb. How was Christmas with your girlfriend?”

            Mingyu loosens his hold on Wonwoo and his tone sounds confused as he says, “What?”

            Wonwoo glances back at him, catching sight of the confused frown marring Mingyu’s face. “Your girlfriend. You know, the one from the other day? Or is she just one of many?”

            Mingyu blinks slowly before his face falls into one of understanding. “My girlfriend? Wonwoo, is that why you were angry?”

            “I wasn’t angry,” he mumbles, averting his eyes. Okay, so he was angry, but Mingyu doesn’t need to know that.

            “Wonwoo,” Mingyu sounds amused. Wonwoo doesn’t turn to look at him, doesn’t want to see those pink lips stretched out into a teasing smile like he knows they are. “That was my sister.”

            Wonwoo glances back – and he was right, Mingyu’s lips are curved into a teasing smile. He puckers his lips, his brows furrowing. He can see the question written in Mingyu’s eyes so he mutters defensively, “I was not jealous.”

            Mingyu flicks his brows up, his lips quirking higher. “I didn’t say you were.” But his eyes suggest that he was thinking it.

            Wonwoo shoves his elbow harder into Mingyu’s stomach, which only causes Mingyu to laugh as he finally lets the other boy go.

            “Brat,” he mutters, but his lips quirk into a smile.

⚘❁⚘

            They hire a new boy on January 21st. His name is Seungkwan and he has a quick tongue and sharp humor that makes Soonyoung hire him on the spot. Seungkwan blinks, raising a brow as he hops over the counter and steals a cookie from the tray Wonwoo is holding.

            “I would say you’re dumb for hiring me so quickly, but it’s going to be the best choice you ever made,” he says as he winks and leans against the counter in a flourish.

            A few days later, a boy named Hansol (who prefers Vernon) starts showing up every time Seungkwan is working and Wonwoo takes an instant liking to the boy. He sneaks him pastries in the time it takes Seungkwan to notice him and promptly kick him out.

            Joshua says loudly, “You like him, Seungkwan! Admit it.”

            Seungkwan throws him a hard glare and he’s made himself at home faster than Wonwoo ever did because he’s already resting with his head in Soonyoung’s lap and his feet in Mingyu’s.

            “Do not,” he counters.

            Joshua wiggles his brows up and down. “Have you kissed him?”

            Seungkwan whines. “Hyung, please.”

            “That’s not a no.”

            Mingyu reaches out to rub at Seungkwan’s stomach while Soonyoung ruffles his hair. (And wow – it must have been a while since they had someone as young as Seungkwan because he’s totally the favorite.)

            “Just admit you like the attention,” Soonyoung adds.

            “No, it’s just a game. It’s not even fun,” Seungkwan lies, using his hands to pry the older boy’s hold off of him.

            Mingyu looks at Wonwoo and his lips curl into a smile as he says, “Sometimes the game can be fun, depending on who you play it with.”

⚘❁⚘

            And February happens like this:

            Soonyoung decorates for Valentine’s Day with flowers and hearts everywhere. Everyone gets confessed to, which is not unsurprising seeing as their main attraction to the café is the workers (which isn’t being conceited, it’s just the truth), but the one with the most chocolates by the end of the shift is Mingyu, who has to get help from everyone to carry his Valentine’s gifts to the kitchen.

            They close early and Mingyu places all the chocolates spread out on a table. They each sit and eat them late into the night and Soonyoung dims the lights as he brings out tall coffees for everyone. He flicks his eyes up and says, “Wanted to set the mood, you know.” He places the cups in front of everyone and just as Seungkwan opens his mouth, he says, “Don’t worry, I put syrup in yours.”

            There’s a certain calm to everything and Wonwoo gets a light, fluttering feeling in his chest as he watches his friends. Joshua feeds Seungkwan chocolate, taking turns stuffing one in his mouth and then one in the other boy’s mouth. Soonyoung has his feet propped on the chair beside him and he makes a game of catching chocolates in an empty cup (since he doesn’t like sweets). Mingyu lazily plops one in his mouth once in a while, resting his chin in his other hand as he looks at Wonwoo.

            Wonwoo stuffs another chocolate in his mouth, lets it melt before he swallows it whole. “What?” he mutters.

            Mingyu grins, his eyes alight and he reaches a hand out. Wonwoo feels his entire body freeze as Mingyu’s thumb brushes the corner of his lip. His touch is hot and soft and he pulls his thumb back, chocolate covering the tip. He stick it in his mouth, grinning. His voice is teasing as he says, “Looks like you aren’t housebroken either.”

            For a second, all he does is stare at Mingyu. Mingyu’s smile falls after a second, his eyes becoming serious and dark and almost a bit panicked as he looks into Wonwoo’s eyes. His hand falls on the table and he curls his fingers around Wonwoo’s wrist.

            Wonwoo feels someone kick him sharply on the shin.

            His eyes snap towards Soonyoung, who is sitting up now and glaring pointedly at the both of them. “Excuse me,” he says, “we are all supposed to be enjoying this holiday together as single people. You guys can make heart eyes at each other tomorrow.”

            “We weren’t –”

            Joshua cuts him off, throwing him an amused look. “You were.”

            “It was sickeningly cute,” Seungkwan adds.

            Mingyu laughs and turns to look at Wonwoo. “Did you hear that? We’re cute.”

            “I was a little more focused on the sickeningly part, thanks.”

            Mingyu waves a hand, looking unbothered. “The cute part cancels that out.”

            Seungkwan points at him. “No it doesn’t.”

            Mingyu throws a chocolate at him, which Seungkwan easily catches in his mouth. Mingyu throws another and another and another until Seungkwan looks like a chipmunk. Soonyoung joins in soon after and then the three boys are throwing chocolates at each other. Joshua catches Wonwoo’s eyes before they both shrug and lift an entire box to throw it at the unsuspecting boys.

⚘❁⚘

            In March, on White Day, Angel comes in and Joshua overhears that he’s buying sweets for his mate. He spends the rest of his shift hiding in the back room until Wonwoo has to physically force him out. He doesn’t get the heartbroken look on Joshua’s face until he goes to throw out the trash and he catches sight of Mingyu pressing a boy against the wall outside, kissing him.

            Oh, so that’s what heartbreak feels like.

            He slips back in easily, avoiding being detected, and he blinks back the burning image of Mingyu with his hands tangled in another boy’s hair. Nothing helps though because every time he blinks, that’s all he ing sees.

⚘❁⚘

            Mingyu turns seventeen on April 6. He doesn’t work, but Wonwoo sends him a text wishing him a happy birthday. Mingyu responds back quickly, but Wonwoo presses his phone on the counter. It’s almost been a month but he still can’t forget about Mingyu kissing another boy.

⚘❁⚘

            He forgives him in May, not that he had anything to forgive. Falling back into routine with Mingyu is easy. They flirt and they push and they pull and they always hold each other at arm’s length. Wonwoo is used to Mingyu touching him, so he doesn’t flinch when Mingyu brushes the back of his knuckles against Wonwoo’s forehead. Wonwoo stays late a lot, so Mingyu helps him make new pastries and they find themselves walking home together since they’re usually the last ones to leave.

            Wonwoo finds his hand caught in Mingyu’s one day on the way home. His entire body warms up at the thought and he finds it hard to focus on what Mingyu is saying, but he tells himself that it’s not a big deal. He glances at Mingyu’s profile, seeing the faint mark of a hickey (someone else’s kiss) on his strong jaw.

            He averts his eyes, curling his hand tighter around Mingyu’s. He tries to tell his rapidly beating heart to calm down but Mingyu presses a kiss to his forehead when they reach Wonwoo’s house and it makes Wonwoo’s heart jump.

⚘❁⚘

            Wonwoo clocks in to his shift and he’s walking towards the front when he trips on something on the floor. He looks down, notices a stack of papers, and follows a trail to Soonyoung’s office. Wonwoo pushes past the door, peeking in and seeing Soonyoung splayed on the floor on top of papers.

            Soonyoung tilts his head back and glances up at him in boredom. “Hey.”

            Wonwoo pushes past the papers and folders by the door. “Hey,” he responds. He looks at the mess around the office and tries to avoid stepping on any important looking documents as he makes his way towards Soonyoung. He stands above him and Soonyoung gestures beside him. Wonwoo lays on the floor beside the other boy.

            “You okay?” he asks his boss.

            Soonyoung groans. “My dad won’t be coming in anymore. As soon as I turn eighteen, this place is officially mine.” His eyes cut to Wonwoo, worried and scared. “What if I mess everything up?”

            Wonwoo looks up at the ceiling, pulling his lip between his teeth. “I don’t think you’ll mess anything up.” He looks at Soonyoung and makes sure his eyes are sincere. “You’re a great boss, Soonyoung.”

            Soonyoung closes his eyes, whispering, “I don’t want to grow up.”

            Wonwoo thinks about his own birthday – just a month away. His mind, for some reason, goes to Mingyu. What’s going to happen when Wonwoo turns eighteen? He blinks the thought away and his hand finds Soonyoung, squeezing it lightly as he whispers back, “Me neither.”

⚘❁⚘

            Soonyoung wears high collar shirts a week after his birthday and every time someone asks about his mate, Soonyoung just winks and smiles happily. He skips around the café, and he gives away more free food than Wonwoo can keep up with.

            Mingyu sets a tray down beside Wonwoo, his lips stretched into a wide smile as he watches Soonyoung give a blushing girl a free cupcake. Mingyu’s eyes cut to Wonwoo. “Hyung is really happy, huh?”

            Joshua, who is sitting on the counter beside them, snorts. “He’s probably going to regret giving away so much stuff when he realizes how much money he’s losing.”

            Seungkwan, who is playing with sugar packets as he leans by the register, hums in agreement. “As long as I still get paid, he can do whatever he wants.” He drops the sugar packet and stretches tall, his bones popping. “My shift is almost over, so I’ll see you guys later.”

            “Are you working the talent show?” Joshua asks Seungkwan.

            Seungkwan shakes his head. “Nah, I’m off. Besides, I’m hanging out with Vernon.” He rolls his eyes as Mingyu makes kissing noises. “Not like that, .”

            “Uh huh,” Mingyu wiggles his brows. He leans his hip against Wonwoo’s, resting an arm on Wonwoo’s shoulder. “I’m sure Vernon sees it that way too.”

            Seungkwan takes his apron off and uses it to hit Mingyu across his thighs. “I’m leaving early.” He shouts it for Soonyoung to hear. “Soonyoung, I’m leaving early because Mingyu is annoying me!”

            Soonyoung just grins and shouts back. “Well he’s always annoying!” The girl he’s serving winces at his loud tone.

            “Excuse me,” Mingyu shouts back. “Wonwoo-hyung doesn’t think I’m annoying.” He turns to Wonwoo with wide and soft eyes. “You don’t think I’m annoying, do you?”

            Wonwoo squirms under his intense gaze. “It’s subjective.”

            Everyone laughs and Mingyu reaches out, his fingers digging into Wonwoo’s hips as he tugs him closer. He presses his nose against Wonwoo’s neck, causing Wonwoo to try to wiggle out of his hold.

            “You love me,” Mingyu whispers into Wonwoo’s neck.

            “Well, love is a pretty strong word, don’t you think?” He bumps his hip hardly against Mingyu. “Will you let me go so I can go back to work?”

            Joshua speaks out. “Yeah, this is kind of gross to watch.”

            Mingyu groans. “Fine,” he says in an exasperated tone.

            Wonwoo smiles as he watches him walk away but the smile on his face instantly falls as he watches Mingyu sit down by a large group of people. He’s there for not even one minute before he has someone sitting on his lap. Wonwoo turns away with a curl to his lip, not noticing the curious look Joshua has in his eyes.

⚘❁⚘

            Soonyoung meets his soulmate at talent night. Only him, Wonwoo, and Mingyu are working. Mingyu has spent most of his time sitting in the back with Wonwoo. They share a pastry and Mingyu feeds him despite Wonwoo’s protests. Wonwoo doesn’t notice the adoring look he has in his eyes every time Mingyu reaches up with a soft smile as he says, “Open up.”

            There’s someone singing in the front, and they sound extremely good, but Wonwoo is a little distracted by Mingyu. Wonwoo is sitting on the counter, Mingyu standing between his legs.

            The person singing stops, announces loudly, “Thank you! I’m Seokmin.”

            Wonwoo hears the loud clatter of a tray falling on the floor. Before either of them know it, Soonyoung is pushing the door to the kitchen open harshly, his hand curled around the shirt of some guy. The guy looks at Mingyu and Wonwoo in confusion before he gives them a wide smile like the sun. Soonyoung doesn’t even glance at them before he kicks open the door to his office and throws the other boy in.

            Soonyoung looks at Mingyu, says, “Will you...?”

            And Mingyu is stepping away from Wonwoo, which makes Wonwoo whine softly in the back of his throat, and nods. “I’ll take care of it.” He lets his fingers linger by Wonwoo’s hips and he drops his voice huskily. “I’ll be right back, okay?”

            By the time he comes back, Soonyoung is still locked up in the room and no one bothers to interrupt him.

⚘❁⚘

            “I’m not with my mate.”

            Wonwoo starts in surprise, spilling coffee onto the counter. He curses under his breath, grabbing some napkins to wipe at the spill. He glances at Soonyoung, taking in the dejected and sad look in the older boy’s eyes. He at his lips, trying not to sound too curious as he says, “What do you mean?”

            Soonyoung sighs and he reaches up to tug at his collar. Since it’s early in the morning, it’s only the two of them here, so no one but Wonwoo sees the small Seokmin written at the base of Soonyoung’s neck in bold, small text. Wonwoo thinks back to the talent show, remembers the boy with the beautiful smile, and his breath catches.

            His eyes are wide. “Soonyoung.”

            “I know,” he sighs, letting his collar cover the mark again. “I was acting all happy and stuff, but – I don’t know. I never thought about how scary it was to have a mate, you know?”

            “You were with him in your office for a long time.”

            Soonyoung gives him a look, flicking his brows up. “I’m not telling you what we did.”

            Wonwoo chokes and reaches out to shove at Soonyoung harshly. “That’s not what I was talking about! I mean, didn’t you talk about it?”

            “No,” Soonyoung admits. “I told him to take his time to do what he wants so I can do what I want.”

            Wonwoo blinks. “Oh.” It’s quiet and then he adds, “I mean, I hope you don’t mind me asking, but why did you do that?”

            “Because. I’ve barely turned eighteen. I don’t know what I want. I don’t even know what I like. I should have time to figure my own life out before I try to figure out our life, you know?”

            Wonwoo worriedly chews his lip, because he does understand. He watched his bother drop practically everything in his life all because some dude he bumped into at a grocery store happened to have his name curling around his collarbone. He knows his brother is happy – and his mate is someone Wonwoo definitely approves of – but it’s different. Wonwoo never started thinking about mates until – well, until Mingyu.

            “Yeah,” he whispers, “I get it.”

⚘❁⚘

            As soon as July hits, Mingyu takes a complete 180 in regards to Wonwoo. He doesn’t flirt with him, doesn’t touch him. In fact, he barely even speaks to the boy unless it’s to tell him to make an order. It drives Wonwoo crazy, because he has no idea what he did to drive Mingyu away. The worst thing of all is that Mingyu will still walk Wonwoo home, except he doesn’t hold his hand anymore.

            Wonwoo stops before he reaches his house, doesn’t know why he blurts out, “Mingyu, what do you think about mates?”

            Mingyu pauses beside him and Wonwoo thinks he’s going to ignore him like he has recently until Mingyu frowns and says, “I think they’re a ing joke.” He shakes hair from his eyes and looks at Wonwoo with sad and angry eyes. “Why?”

            Wonwoo hums, not looking back as he walks forward, his hand curling around his wrist. He can feel his rapid heartbeat and he presses his fingers against it tightly, ignoring the blossoming sadness in his chest. “No reason.”

            When they reach his house, Mingyu does something he hasn’t done in a while. He reaches out and grabs Wonwoo’s hand. When Wonwoo turns to look at him, he sees Mingyu frowning at the ground. Wonwoo scoots closer to him and moves his hand so that his fingers are interlocked with Mingyu’s.

            “Mingyu?”

            Mingyu tightens his jaw and quickly lets go of Wonwoo’s hand, stuffing them into his pocket instead. Wonwoo sighs. Mingyu looks at him and says, “You won’t be at work for a week, so…” He gives a sad smile. “Happy birthday, hyung.”

            He doesn’t know what he’s planning on doing but he lifts a hand to rest it on Mingyu’s cheek, tilting the other boy’s head up. Mingyu looks completely heartbroken and it breaks his heart a little. The moment, however, is broken by the ringing of Mingyu’s phone.

            Mingyu lets out a deep breath and pulls his phone out. A quick glance at the screen and then he says, “It’s my boyfriend.”

            And oh yeah, Mingyu is the boy who’s never single and Wonwoo is just the boy who’s hopelessly in love with him.

            The odds don’t look good.

⚘❁⚘

            It happens like this: Wonwoo wakes up when he’s eighteen to a mark on his right hip and he decides he doesn’t want it.

            So he hides it and he lies lies lies.

⚘❁⚘

            A week after his birthday, Wonwoo gets pulled aside by Mingyu.

            “Do you have a mate?”

            Wonwoo looks at a hickey curling behind Mingyu’s ear. “Why?”

            Mingyu digs his fingers into Wonwoo’s hip, avoiding eye contact. “Do you?”

            Wonwoo feels something horrible crawl up his spine – fear. He’s scared Mingyu won’t want him, scared that Mingyu won’t change his views on mates. He’s scared of getting his heart broken, so he looks at Mingyu and he makes a choice.

            “Yes,” he says in a loud voice, “and it didn’t work out between us. I don’t believe in love, now will you leave me alone?”

            The lie slips off his tongue so easily, Wonwoo almost convinces himself it’s the truth.

⚘❁⚘

            It takes him almost two years, but he finally says yes to Mingyu because he decides that any heartbreak would be worth it as long as he gets to be with Mingyu.

            It’s worthwhile and he’s happy until it all comes crashing down on him when he finds out that Mingyu has Wonwoo written on his hip. Wonwoo feels his heart cave in and he knows that Mingyu will hate him when he finds out the truth. He’ll take what he can get in the meantime, so he traces his name on the other boy’s skin whenever he can. He likes the sharp little intake of breath when he traces his own name with his tongue. He knows they don’t have forever, so he lets himself have these moments.

⚘❁⚘

            He’s never seen Mingyu as angry – as betrayed­ – as he has when he finds out that he’s been Wonwoo’s mate all along. His lie has finally caught up with him and he wonders why he was never honest in the first place.

            “Wonwoo,” Mingyu whispers, pointing down at the mark that sits on Wonwoo’s hip, “what is that?”

            Wonwoo feels his voice shake. “My mark,” he whispers, “it’s my mark.”

            It’s deadly quiet and Wonwoo counts the beats of his heart – one, two, three –  until Mingyu speaks again.

            “Get out.”

            Wonwoo blinks, knew all along this was coming, but he finds tears still gathering in his eyes. “What?”

            Mingyu doesn’t even look at him, just blinks slowly and Wonwoo is horrified to see wetness pooling on Mingyu’s lashes. “Get out. I can’t even look at you right now.”

            Wonwoo desperately grasps at Mingyu’s hands. “Mingyu –”

            “I said, get out.” His voice is incredibly soft, broken. It’s unlike anything Wonwoo has ever heard. “Please,” he slips his hand out of Wonwoo’s. “I - I can’t look at you. Please leave me alone.”

            And so Wonwoo gathers up his tattered shirt and does just that.

⚘❁⚘

            He thinks they break up like this: with both of them not talking for weeks and Mingyu avoiding every call and plea to talk. He thinks that’s a breakup, but then again, he hasn’t spoken to Mingyu so he wouldn’t know if the other boy considers him a boyfriend still.

            If only they’d talked a little sooner, but they were both so scared, and nobody ever said that mates would be easy, huh? If only they had known that from the beginning.


a/n: work has been killing me, but you know. this was strangely hard to write. for those confused, this is wonwoo from his last months of being seventeen to his eighteenth birthday and up until where we left off last chapter. a lot of people were asking why he never just told mingyu, so i decided to highlight on that here ^.^ love you all, enjoy ~~

also, you guys, i'm crying, the amazing wonderful steffi666 made this playlist for my fic and i am c r y i n g. it is beautiful and you should all check it out.