You just can’t help it

Us Against The World: 2Jae edition.

Bright street’s lights flash in front of his eyes as the car moves, not too fast but neither too slow. Through the clear window they watch people walking around under the clear moonlight, and they see the fluffy tops of the trees being kindly shake by the nice breeze of this particular spring night. The smell of the previous rain is still hanging in the air, mixing with the sweet perfume of flowers of the many gardens around Seoul and with that mysterious scent which makes this Friday night different from any other.

“This is more than different, this is a freaking joke” a certain brunette boy thinks somewhat irritated as he sinks a little more in the comfy car seat, feeling his cheeks warming up at each second a little more.

A small sighs leaves his lips then, while he turns his eyes away from the landscape outside the car and place them on the black floor under his feet seeing just his white shoes as thought after thought comes to his confuse mind. The night had started very good, and he was able to keep controlling himself, but why had Jaebum to start talking about that woman and why had he to be so stupid to blush and cry and be so damn obvious?

Why things never turn out like you planned them?

“Why things turn out to be like this exactly?” Youngjae wonders afflicted, closing his tired orbs for a moment.

Out of any unexpected thing that could happen on a nice Friday night; out of any crazy circumstance life could put in front of him to ruin the dream moment he was having with his crush, and that surely won’t happen again in the near future –or any future-, why it has to be this one precisely?

“Oh! This is the worst night ever!” the young boy whines out loud in his head, pouting mad on the outside as he feels how the car stops slowly.

-Youngjae, will you tell me where are we going?- but when he hears Jaebum asking kindly by his side, he can feel the blush on his face tickling warmer.

-I-I already gave you the address, hyung.- he says trying to keep calm and not think in the kiss they almost shared a while ago.

-Yes, but I don’t know what’s there. Can’t you tell me?- the black hair man wonders curios as the car moves yet again across the long streets of Seoul.

Knowing what his hyung wants to get from that question Youngjae slowly place his ashamed eyes back in the window, seeing a lot of familiar places which tell him he is near that place which he never wanted to show to Jaebum. Thinking in what the older man would do if he founds out the brunette boy feels his hands sweating cold, just like a rush of nervousness spread along his tremble anatomy as the cars stops definitely.

-Youngjae, did you give me the right address? This is a bar…- and when he hears the way Jaebum talk so confuse and so surprised he feels his heart stopped beating for a second.

Taking the last drop of courage he still have in his body Youngjae swallows slow, answering in the most calm voice he can manage to pull at that moment. -Y-yes hyung, this is the right place!-

A short instant of silent follows his answer, before he feels those sharp eyes place on him and asking the obvious without words. He tried to ignore them, watching people passing by out the car, but when he felt how serious and hard his hyung was staring at him he knew ignoring him wasn’t the smartest idea.

, !!!

-Youngjae, you don’t want to tell me?- Jaebum asks in a soft, calm voice; making the young boy shiver.

-I-I don’t want hyung to know…- Youngjae mumbles ashamed, feeling his cheeks burning in embarrassment.

-Why?- the black hair man asks confuse yet still curios, making the brunette boy even more nervous.

-B-because… It’s embarrassing!- he exclaims as his hands clenches in fists of frustration upon his lap.

-What’s embarrassing, Youngjae?- Jaebum wonders again, with that calm and gentle voice of his.

The mix between frustration and nervousness slowly is digging deep into his shameful self; making him feel at the borderline of a panic attack and making the whole situation look like something really big when actually is something stupidly simple.

It’s not that Youngjae doesn’t trust Jaebum, but he is afraid of what Jaebum would think of him.

To the touch of a warm hand placing above his shaking one Youngjae shyly looks up, finding those shining orbs which along these past two years had grown to be one of the many weaknesses he has for the older man. Those eyes had always been so sweet, had always lay on him with pure kindness and had always seem to whisper clearly –to scream clearly- certain things those plump lips had always said with other words… with appropriate words for the relationship they have.

He doesn’t understand how it works, but just by looking into those transparent eyes he has always had the sensation Jaebum feels exactly the same as him.

-Hyung…- Youngjae murmur nervously, feeling how the heat on his face burns a little bit hotter.-I-I… work here…- he confess embarrass at the end, watching his hyung’s handsome features lighting up with a smile.

-That wasn’t that bad, was it?- Jaebum wonders slightly mocking, leaving that small hand to softly tousle those brown locks.

But the young boy frowns and puts at those words. –It’s still embarrassing…- he complains, looking at his hyung who hadn’t erased that smile from his enticing lips.

And Youngjae feels even more uneasy when he hears that soft yet seductive chuckle from his hyung.

-There’s nothing to be embarrass, Youngjae. Being a waiter is a really good job.- Jaebum comments with all honesty as his hand slowly moves away from that brunette little head.

Being a waiter was a really good job indeed… Too bad that isn’t Youngjae’s case.

-Yes, well… the thing is, hyung… I’m not a waiter.- he tells in a still nervous voice, hating what will come next.

-Then what’s your job in the bar?- Jaebum asks curios, frowning confused as he thinks about what can an underage by work on a bar if it’s not as a waiter.

-Ummm…- Youngjae hums without knowing how to answer that question, suddenly feeling trapped. –L-Let’s go inside and you will see!- he laughs nervously, rushing to get out of the car before more questions would come.

Being welcome by the cool breeze of the night caressing playfully his blushed face and the rest of the skin of his exposed arms Youngjae hears the loud noise of the car’s doors being slapped close at the same time. Chills after chills run fast down his spine then, feeling strong shocks of nervousness spreading along his body as his quickly walks inside the bar along with Jaebum following his steps with precise accuracy.

-W-why don’t you sit over there, hyung?- Youngjae asks with an awkward smile as his tremble finger points out a table on the corner. –It’s close to the window and… ummm… it has r-really good acoustic.- he comments, watching how Jaebum looks back at him even more confuse.

Knowing that if he let his hyung ask or say something else he surely will be more stupid of what he already is the young boy quickly turns around to keep walking with impatience steps along the big and nice space of his workplace. Passing through a few tables and smiling awkwardly to a few familiar faces of his audience he rushes to walk faster as his nervous orbs finally sees the bar full of people waiting for their drinks.

And a certain manager of his on the other side of the bar.

-Youngjae! You are finally here!- the big but short manager exclaims in honest relief, serving the drink he was making as a content grin paints all over his handsome features.

-Wang Jackson, I’m gonna kill you!- Youngjae hisses between clenched teeth, staring into his hyung’s eyes with all the frustration he feels.

The manager on his side just smiles apologetically. –So sorry Youngjae for ruing your free night, but Jinyoung didn’t like other boy I hired so the boy left and Jinyoung obliged me to call you.- he explains, leaning into the bar and making his best cute face.

Hearing all the circumstances which lead him to be in his work on his free night instead of a much, much sweeter moment Youngjae sighs heavily; wondering why such a great musician like Park Jinyoung needs to be the second vocalist of some rookie boy who barely can sing. That man can own the whole bar, the whole freaking block if he wants, with his mind-blowing music and beautiful voice!

-Why is Junior hyung a second vocalist? It’s more than obvious that he is an artist!- Youngjae comments unbelieving yet slightly irritated, seeing how his manager hand him a glass of cold water.

-He doesn’t want to force his voice because there’s a big chance to make a record one of these days.-  Jackson explains calmly as he carefully dries a few glasses. –Besides, he had named you his favorite dongsaeng the first day you came here with Yugyeom.- the manager adds, flashing a mocking grin.

To the mock of his hyung the brunette boy roll his eyes, was that even possible? It’s just almost 6 months since he started working on the bar while Yugyeom has been working here more than a year, Jinyoung surely knows Yugyeom more than what he knows him so how can Jinyoung favorite him over Yugyeom?  

-Choi Youngjae…- but when he hears his name being whisper coldly right into his ear, and when his nervous eyes turn to his right to found sharp ones staring at him almost dangerously Youngjae understood it perfectly.

Junior likes cute things, and even when Yugyeom is cuter than Youngjae when he smiles, mostly Yugyeom can be quite scary.

-H-hey, Brownie…- Youngjae smiles awkwardly yet again, feeling chills on his spine when he sees how his friend frowns.

-What the hell is wrong with you? Why did you bring that old man here?!- Yugyeom hisses somewhat irritated, leaving his tray upon the bar with a loud thud.

-H-he was teaching me math when Jackson called and he drove me here so… he wanted to know why I had to came.- the brunette boy explains uneasy, not really understanding Yugyeom’s angriness. -Why are you so bother, anyways?- he asks carefully; seeing into those small, dark eyes.

-You know why.- Yugyeom mumbles low and serious, making his older friend shiver.

Indeed, Youngjae knows. He knows it is wrong to feel the way he feels. He knows he shouldn’t have all this mountain of feelings and  whirlwinds of emotions towards someone who is 6 long years older than him, towards someone who is also a man, someone who has a child and probably will marry that woman because of that. All that it’s so wrong, Youngjae knows it’s perfectly.

But even so, his heart doesn’t care.

-I know, Yugyeom…- Youngjae mumbles, watching how his friend’s features become softer. –But I can’t help it.- he confesses honestly, watching into those small eyes which now look back at him a little warmer.

-Yeah… I also know that.- Yugyeom says defeated yet slightly nice, giving to the older boy a calm smile.

Liking someone you shouldn’t like… Yugyeom knows that feeling too well.

-You should go with Junior hyung now before he starts calling your name on the mic.- Yugyeom comments somewhat amused, taking his tray full of new drinks Jackson had already made.

To the sound of someone checking instruments and microphones the two boys on the bar chuckle at the same time, giving each other a knowing gaze before Yugyeom patted his friend’s back and walked away to keep on working. Youngjae, on the other hand, just sighs as he jogs until the small but comfy scenario in the middle of the bar; seeing his hyung already sitting on place, playing some strings of the guitar.

-Jinyoung hyung I’m here~~!- the brunette boy sings sang cutely, standing in front of the musician as a smile curves up on his pink lips.

He sees in great detail how Jinyoung’s little eyes look up at him wide open in joy, and he sees and feels how his hyung quickly jumps off the seat to hug him tight.

-Youngjae, you came!- Junior says excited, shaking the younger boy from side to side in his hug. -The boy Jackson choose was so bad! You don’t have idea how much I miss you, Youngjae!- he comments, exaggeratedly dramatic.

Youngjae just chuckles at his hyung overreaction, gently pulling the older man away from him as he can see into those warm eyes. –Hyung, it’s okay. I’m here already, so let’s start!- he says with cheerfully, making his hyung smile and nod in agreement. 

-Yes! Let’s start!- Jinyoung exclaims excited, letting the young boy go and taking his guitar once again. -What should we play tonight?- he asks to his cute dongsaeng, sitting down on his comfortable place. 

-I think we should play that song we have been practicing for so long, hyung.- the brunette boy says confident as he accommodates and prepares their microphones.

-That song, Youngjae? Are you sure? It isn’t such a special night.- the older man comments somewhat doubtful, not seeing in the crowd the lovey-dovey aura he thinks that song needs.

But when Youngjae looks back at him with those brown, warm eyes shining brighter than what he had ever seen them; and when a sweet smile paints itself all over that softly blushed face Jinyoung knows that this night it’s more special for Youngjae than what it can be for anybody else... This is more special of what he would ever think.

-Trust me hyung, this is a night that happens once in a lifetime.- and when Youngjae says those words with such a nostalgic yet content tone of voice, Junior doesn’t have any reason to not believe him.

-Okay, Youngjae. That song it is!- Jinyoung smiles calmly, slowly playing the first notes of that melody.

To the beautiful sound of that music echoing softly around the nice atmosphere of the bar Youngjae can’t help but smile widely at his hyung in pure excitement; just like his anxious eyes couldn’t wait to turn around front and finally greet the audience with that same smile, just like every single night.

-Hey everyone! Jinyoung hyung and I are back!- his joyful voice echoes through the microphone, hearing the full place clapping and a few cheering whistles at the back.

-Tonight Jinyoung hyung and I picked a song that, uh, we wanted to play in a special occasion so… yeah… we hope you will like it!-  Youngjae explains, feeling a little bit nervous as he sees in the distant a pair of brown, sharp eyes watching him.

Clapping hands follow his uneasy speech, being slowly calm down by the melodious sound of the guitar which Jinyoung kept playing; as the brunette boy could feel his cheeks heating up a little more are his eyes couldn’t turn way from those enchanting clear ones in the enormous distant separating them... just a like a soft shiver slid down his back when his moment to sing begun.

-Honey you are a rock

Upon which I stand

And I come here to talk

I hope you understand…-

Through his anxious lips words fly softly across the entire bar, reaching every single ear of the nice audience and hopefully giving them the sweet and special sensation this particular song makes him feel when he remembers a certain hyung of his.

-The green eyes

Yeah the spotlight

Shines upon you.

And how could anybody

Deny you?...-

A smiles paint itself on his warm face as the image of a few people in the crowd looking somewhat affected by his calm singing which accompanies the loving lyrics of the song, making Youngjae noticing that he is not the only one here who has troubles to confess what it’s trapped inside his heart.

-I came here with a load

And it feels so much lighter

Now I met you.

And honey you should know

That I could never go on

Without you…

…Green eyes.-

Whispering the last phrase his dark orbs slowly look down, hearing the beautiful way Jinyoung plays the guitar before the bridge, as his plump cheeks burn a little bit hotter to the thought of what Jaebum is thinking about him right at this moment.

-Honey you are the sea

Upon which I float

And I came here to talk

I think you should know…-

To the excited fast beating of his heart echoing loudly in his ear along with the sweet music embracing him Youngjae looks up impatient, searching for those brown eyes and finding them in the distant just right at the same time the last phrase escaped his mouth.

-That green eyes

You're the one that I wanted to find

And anyone who tried to deny you

Must be out of their mind…-

Youngjae sings from the top of his burning lungs, loud and clear, so maybe and just maybe like that Jaebum would hear what his pounding heart had been screaming all these long years and what his mouth had been shutting fearfully.

-Because I came here with a load

And it feels so much lighter since I met you.

Honey you should know

That I could never go on

Without you…

… Brown eyes…-

He sings timidly those last few words as a redder blush takes over his embarrass face when he through the enormous distant between them his shining orbs could see a soft smirk appearing on Jaebum’s handsome features.

The harmonious rhythm of the guitar accompanying his voice slowly turns into a soft caress of Junior’s hand on the strings; making it sound calmly tender as Youngjae sweetly murmur the magical end of that unique song. 

-Honey you are a rock

Upon which I stand.-

A long sigh slides off his tremble lips when the complete audience cheers and claps at them, seeing a few people in the front row smiling widely at him while other shout a loud ‘amazing!’ that makes the young boy feel happily pleased that all these persons like his voice when he was just a rookie at singing.

-Thank you all so much! I’ll leave you with Jinyoung hyung now!- he tells excited, still hearing the nice sound of clapping hands and cheering whistles.

After making a polite bow to the great audience of tonight and giving to his amazing hyung a thankful smile the brunette boy quickly runs out the little stage; feeling his heart freaking out in anticipation as he walks across the bar. To every single anxious step he takes his heart skips a strong and impatience beat, feeling it beating frenetic when just a few steps away he could see Jaebum’s eyes already on him.

Hurriedly taking those final steps the young boy swallows hard, trying to remain calm and not let his crazy heart be more nervous and idiotic of what his blush face already makes him look.

–H-hey hyung!- but Youngjae curses himself mentally when his voice came off shaking as he sat down besides the older man.

-Youngjae, I didn’t have idea you could sing.- Jaebum comments surprised, jumping directly to the topic as his brown orbs look into those uneasy ones.

And Youngjae just knows this is going to be so embarrassing.

-Yes, well… I-I’m not that good!- he tries to laugh it off, feeling how hard his heart is hitting his chest because of how nervous he is.

But what the older man said after didn’t help him to calm his jumping heart.

-I think you are really good, Youngjae. Your voice is so soft and sweet… I really want to hear you sing again.- Jaebum mumbles almost secretly, his serious yet nice brown gaze never turning away from those dark oceans.

But Youngjae does look away, placing his ashamed gaze on the floor under his feet as his hands clench the soft fabric of the seat. –Hyung is being too nice…- he comments slightly sad, knowing that he isn’t that good and his hyung’s words were just mare courtesy.

Soft shocks of electricity rush along his skin when a strong yet warm arm place itself around his shoulders, bringing him closer to the older man until Jaebum’s maddening scent is filling every single corner of his haunted mind. He could feel how his hyung kindly squeeze his shoulder, asking him in silent to look up again, and judging by the way his heart is racing Youngjae knows it isn’t a good idea to do so, giving to the fact that they are so dangerously close yet again.

It isn't a good idea, but that’s why he likes it so much.

His eager eyes slowly starts to lift, leaving the dark floor behind as he sees Jaebum’s collarbone through that slightly open blue shirt, passing by Jaebum’s slender and enticing neck, reaching out Jaebum’s plump lips which are partly open and finally finding those enchanting brown orbs which now look darker than moments ago.

-Trust me, Youngjae. I really, really want to hear you sing again…- Jaebum’s low, soft voice barely pass through the echoing music around them; reaching the brunette boy’s ears in a seductive whisper that make him shiver anxiously.

Youngjae didn’t really pay attention to those words, all what it matters to him is the way Jaebum is hugging him, is the way that sweetly manly scent makes him drunk, is the way his eyes are locked with those intense brown oceans that seem to be looking right into his heart; founding what he is hiding so jealously in the deepest of his soul. Does Jaebum knows it now? Can Jaebum hear his heartbeats?

Will Jaebum love him back?

-Hyung…- Youngjae murmurs barely audible, feeling his cheeks blushing redder as that handsome face gets closer and closer just like earlier in this wonderful night.

-Youngjae…-

Jaebum calls his name with that raspy, low voice that makes him tremble in anticipation of what was about to happen. He feels that hot breath mixing with his soft one in the ephemeral gap separating their impatient mouths; he senses that perfect nose slightly brushing his burning skin; he hears how Jaebum sighs softly heavy when their lips barely touch…

And Youngjae also hears how someone clears his throat behind his back.

-Do I interrupt something?- that person asks, sharp and low.

Having a déjà vu of long hours ago the brunette boy feels his blood running cold on his veins at the sound of that voice, knowing perfectly to who belongs. Quickly pulling away from the kiss he almost share with Jaebum again he turns around, finding Yugyeom’s inquisitors little eyes stabbing his nervous ones.

-O-of course not, Yubear!- Youngjae rushes to say with a crooked smile awkwardly forming on his lips.

-Good. Come with me.- it’s all what his co-worker said before forcing him to stand up and dragging him along the bar, without even looking back at the dark hair man on the table.

Hearing the sound of people chatting mixing with the nice melody of Jinyoung playing the piano in the near scenario and the noisy sound of drink after drink being served by the big manager on the bar the brunette boy feels his arm being release from the tight grip of his younger friend once Yugyeom made sure they were far, far away from Jaebum.

-Ouch! Yugyeom, that hurts!- Youngjae whines as he rubs the red spot on his skin, looking into those eyes which quickly make him shut up by how sharp and angry they are.

-The is wrong with you?- and a cold chill runs down his spine at Yugyeom’s frightening tone of voice.

-W-what do you…?- he tried to play dumb, but seeing the way his friend is frowning and staring he quickly made those words slid down his throat.

-I can believe you almost kiss him here! And around everyone!- Yugyeom hisses annoyed and clearly unbelieving, his angry little eyes never moving away from those uneasy dark ones.

-A-aren’t you overreacting a little bit?- Youngjae asks with that awkward smile curving up upon his lips again.

-Overreacting….?- the waiter hisses his question. –I’ll show you what overreacting is!- he exclaims irritated as his hands reach out for the yellow collar of the older boy’s shirt.

Yugyeom was just about to kiss those damn lips as he always wanted to when someone suddenly interrupt him.

-Youngjae, it’s everything okay?- and just by looking the way Youngjae’s eyes shine he doesn’t need to turn around to know who it is.

-Y-yes, hyung! Everything it’s okay!- the brunette boy quickly says. –Yugyeommie and I were just playing around.- he comments, kindly taking Yugyeom’s hands away from his collar; making the younger boy tremble suddenly.

-Oh, well, I just came to tell you I have to go to pick Junsu from his grandma’s house.- Jaebum says gently, seeing that cute smile painting in those full lips.

-O-Okay! Thank you for driving me here, hyung.- Youngjae thanks somewhat shy, watching into those sweet brown orbs which now are clear as usual.

-You are welcome, Youngjae. I’ll see you later.- it’s all what the older man says in a soft voice that seems to be hiding something, before giving him a final look and slowly walking away.

The brunette boy watches that big back walking away, feeling cold as Jaebum’s warmth wasn’t burning delightfully nice every inch of his body. A long sigh escapes his pink lips when his hyung was finally out his sadden view; and a pout quickly forms itself on his mouth as suddenly he feels alone without Jaebum’s sweet orbs looking at him.

-Tch, why are you like this? In the minute he is gone you look like a lost puppy.- Yugyeom comments moody by his side as he sits down on the stool of the bar.

And Youngjae just sighs long once again, still with that stupid happy smile on his stupid blush face as he answers him the most stupid thing Yugyeom had ever heard –I can’t help it, Yugyeom… I’m too in love.-

Yugyeom wrinkles his nose displeased at those lovely words -at that lovely image of Youngjae in love with someone else- and without saying anything he just grabs the tray he had left forgotten upon the bar and rushes to some empty table to clean it… trying to suppress his angriness and all the stupid tears running to the edge of his eyes.

Yugyeom understands better than anyone when you just can’t help it.


Poor Yugyeomie ;_____________; I hate to make the maknaes suffer in my fics, but this is necessary.

I'm glad you all are enjoying this so far!! Now things are getting exciting, right? ;) Anyways, thank you all again!!

Btw the song on the chapter is Coldplay's Green Eyes. You can listen to it while re-reading this maybe? ^^