chapter 8

Love & Valor

RM Lawfirm

 

9:30 am

 

Jihyo is in her room. She is sitting on her chair alone while resting her head on the table. She can hear people walking around and talking to each other outside of her office. Jihyo ignore them. She didn't bother to know what happen or what are they talking about. She just want to be alone and think by herself. Her head is racing with thought now. She is still wondering what really happen to gary last night. She wonder happen that affected him so much that he cry like that. She know gary is not in his best mood now. Even this morning, he was not the usual gary. He did not get lovey-dovey with her. He just keep quiet by himself. It's like his mind is too occupied with something else. It hurt a little that he didn't share it with her. Of course she want to know. He is a big part of her life. She love him. Jihyo begin to wonder “Why was he crying? Why was he look so worry? So afraid” all of these thought keep on playing in her mind. Then she remember how he lied to her. How he try to avoid eye contact with her when he speak. It is impossible for him to get into a stupid bar fight. Jihyo know gary. And gary she know would never do such a thing. Yes he might be drink until he get drunk. But he will never ever get drunk to that extend. He will always try to compose himself. Not like he is a coward of anything, but she know he always tried to avoid from hurting anybody. Beside, jihyo didn't smelled any alcohol on him last night. It make it clear there is something else going on. It hurt her that gary lied to her. Even she know that gary only lie because he doesn't want her to get worried, but it still hurt. Of course she if gonna worry about him. He is her boyfriend. She love him. “how could he lie to me?” jihyo begin to thought to herself. Unknowingly, her eyes become wet. Tears already fall from her eyes and land on her soft cheeks. Jihyo begin to sobs quietly, hoping no one would notice her crying.

 

Knock-knock

 

noona are you okay?” jihyo heard kwangsoo's voice all of a sudden. Jihyo pull herself out of the thought. She begin to curse herself for not being careful enough. She doesn't want kwangsoo to know she was crying. So slowly she tried to hide her face from him and wipe the tears that are on her eyes and cheeks. “ah kwangsoo-ah, what's wrong?” jihyo try to talk as natural as she can, hoping kwangsoo wouldn't notice anything. Unfortunately, she fail miserably. He can see her red cheek and nose clearly. “noona why are you crying?” kwangsoo ask worriedly. His voice is full of concern. “aniya kwangsoo-ah. What are you talking about? I'm not crying?” she try to talk and smile as normal as she can trying not to admit what the younger man just saw. “noona. You can't like to me. I know you were crying” jihyo just keep quiet. The fake smile is no longer on her beautiful face. Kwangsoo walk in to her office and take a seat on the chair in front of her. “what happen noona? Did you had a fight with gary hyung? It is about yesterday?” kwangsoo saw how upset jihyo was last night. He saw how moody his noona is when her beloved boyfriend leave the table. He thought gary and jihyo had gone into a fight after he get home yesterday. Jihyo just silent herself. She don't want to include him in her relationship problem. She doesn't want him to think bad of gary. After a while, jihyo just shake her head slowly. Kwangsoo try to guess again. “did gary hyung hit you noona?” “aniya kwangsoo-ah, what are you talking about. You know he wouldn't do that to me” jihyo answer quickly trying to dismiss the horrible thought that the young man could have on her beloved gary. Kwangsoo nod his head. Of course he know gary wouldn't do anything like that to jihyo. Gary always take care of her. He'll always protect her. He will do everything he can to make jihyo happy. Even if he has to suffer himself, he will do it as long as he can see jihyo happy. But why is jihyo noona crying now. After a while of not finding any answer, kwangsoo give up. He decide to ask jihyo directly without making any guess anymore. “what really happen noona?” jihyo just keep quiet. After a while of silent, she give him a weak smile. “it's nothing kwangsoo-ah, maybe i'm just too tired. I didn't get much sleep last night. You know how important my sleep to me” jihyo try making a little joke to ease up kwangsoo's worried. kwangsoo sigh. He then give her a small smile. He know jihyo is not going to tell him the answer he is looking for. So he stop asking. He give up. But he still try his best to comfort her. “it's okay noona if you don't want to tell me. But if you need anything, just tell me okay? You know I'm always here for you” jihyo just nod herself hearing him. She give kwangsoo a smile. She is grateful to have him. “thanks kwangsoo-ah”. Kwangsoo nod his head “i'll be outside noona. Remember, if you need anything, just tell me okay” with that kwangsoo make a move to leave her alone. Before he can reach the door, jihyo call him “kwangsoo-ah” kwangsoo immediately turn his head to look at her “yes noona?” “can you cancel all my appointment today. I'm not feeling well” kwangsoo just smile. He understand what she mean. “and one more thing, if jongki-shi come today, can you send him to jongkook oppa instead of me? I don't think I can handle the case today” kwangsoo just nod his head upon the request. “okay. I'll tell jongkook hyung for you. Rest well okay” jihyo smile at him “thanks kwangsoo-ah”. After kwangsoo left the room. Jihyo start to think about gary again. She is still worry about him. Unable to control herself anymore, she pick up her phone and dial his number. She decide to call him.

 

 

L Comm

 

Gary and the rest of the team are at the top floor of the building. They are inside of sukjin office. Sukjin called of them this morning to make sure all of them are okay. He know they are all affected by choiza's death. All of them are standing quietly in from of sukjin's desk. There are still sadness in their eyes. “so when will be the funeral hyung?” gil speak with a low voice after too long of silence. He asked his superior. “the funeral will be on the day after tomorrow. They doing the postmortem on him now. After that they will send his body to his family. We already inform the family that their son die from an accident. Our man who is undercover in the hospital are taking care of it” all of them nod hearing what sukjin just said. It is always like this, every time there is a death occur, the agency will try to cover it up, not wanting to reveal what really happen. They didn't complain though. It's the procedure. They know about this when the first join the agency. Every thing they do will be remain a secret to the society. Seeing that all of them are quiet, sukjin begin to ask “how are you guys holding up?”. “we'll be fine sir. We're gonna get through this, together” gary speak up slowly. There is still sadness on his voice. The rest of the team nod to his reply agreeing with him. They gonna get through this together. They always do, even if they are short of one man now. They will always be with each other side, together. Then gary continue again. “but sir, do we have any clue who did this? Who is the culprit?” gary had to ask. He really want to know who is responsible for his friend's death. He want to avenge him. Sukjin take a deep breath before answering the question. “for now, we still don't know” all of them sigh. They hate that answer. “but trust me. Once we know, we will destroy him. He kill one of us, it mean he create a war to all of us” they nod hearing sukjin. All of them feel a little relieved. At least they know, sukjin himself wouldn't let this one go away. They will do everything they can to get this guy. And when they do, that guy gonna be a dead meat.

 

Sukjin then dismiss the team. They all step out from his office. Just they were about to enter the elevator, gary feel his phone in his pockets vibrate. He pick it up and look at the call ID. Its jihyo. He look at the rest of the them and ask them to go first. “can you guys go first. I need to take this” they all nod upon his request and continue to walk away. After making sure they're all gone, he answer the phone call. “hello jihyo-ah” gary speak through the phone. Jihyo can hear gary's sad tone through the phone. His tone is so low and his voice is a little tremble. It break her heart hearing him like that. Tears begin to fall from her eyes when his voice like that. “hello oppa? How are feeling now. are you okay?” jihyo ask him slowly. Her voice is so full of concern. She know gary it still not okay but decide to ask him anyway. Jihyo can hear Gary take a deep breath before answering her. “i'm okay jihyo-ah. Thanks for asking. How are you?” jihyo cry even harder hearing him trying not to make her worry. She cover with her hand trying to prevent gary from hearing her sobs. Some of the tears enter . She can taste the saltiness of her own tears. After a while she speak up again. “are free today oppa. can I see you?” gary sigh. Not that he don't want to meet her. He miss her. He just don't her to worry about him when she see him in this state. After a while of thinking, he speak again. “i'm free now, do you want to meet now?” jihyo felt relieved. She feel happy gary is willing to meet her. “can you come to my office oppa. i'll wait for you here” “okay, i'll see you there” gary reply agreeing to her. “drive safely oppa. I love you” “i love you too jihyo” gary whisper slowly before hung up the phone. He start heading to her office. Jihyo on the other hand felt relieved. She is happy to know gary is coming over. She can't wait to meet him. She want to get the answer she need from him today. She wait impatiently. She miss him already. She call for kwangsoo through the intercom. “kwangsoo-ah, if gary oppa come, can you please send him into my office” “okay noona. I'll send him in” kwangsoo reply to immediately. “komawo kwangsoo-ah.

 

 

RM Lawfirm

 

Gary arrive at jihyo's floor. He get out of the elevator and head in toward the office. He can see people sitting at their desk focusing on their work. Some of them are typing on their computer while some of them are on the phone talking to the clients. Gary walk past through them and head toward jihyo's office. After a few steps, he saw kwangsoo sitting at his desk right in front of jihyo's room. He look likes he is typing something on his computer. Gary greet him. “hi kwangsoo-ah..” kwangsoo look up to the person who is greeting him. “oh gary hyung, you're here. Jihyo noona is in her room. She's been waiting for you hyung” kwangsoo said while pointing his thumb toward the room. Before gary make his way to meet jihyo, he ask kwangsoo “how is she doing today kwangsoo-ah?” kwangsoo give him a weak smile. From the look on his face, Gary can guess what his answer will be. “its not so good hyung. I saw her crying this morning”. Gary feel guilty hearing that. He curse himself for making that way. Gary excuse himself from kwangsoo after that. “i'll go in then. Thank you for everything” kwangsoo nod and smile at him. “take care of my noona hyung” gary nod his head and went into the room.

 

Gary turn the door knob and push the door slowly. He saw his beloved Mongji is sleeping while resting her head on the desk. Guilt begin to creep inside his chest. “she must have been crying herself to sleep” gary thought to himself. He walk to the glass window and close the blinder for them to have a little privary. He then walk to her sleeping figure slowly and stand behind her chair. He bend his head down and land his lips on the top of her head. He kiss her in her sleep. “i'm sorry” he whisper to her, even knowing she wouldn't hear him. Gary then lightly massage jihyo's shoulder to wake her up. “jihyo-ah. I'm here” he wake jihyo slowly. Jihyo begin to move. She open her eyes slowly and look at the person who has been waking her up. She saw gary. “oppa, you're here.” she said while trying to stand up and give him a hug. Even in those sad little eyes, gary can see that jihyo is happy to see him. Gary hug her back. He rub her back slowly. After a while, they break the hug. Gary look at her in the eyes and give her slow romantic kiss. Jihyo gladly kiss him back. She feel relieve to know that gary really come to see her. Gary then hold jihyo's hand and pull her to the couch slowly. They seat on the couch together. Gary turn his head and had a good look at his beautiful girlfriend. He then bring his hand and caress her white soft cheek. “ did I hurt you jihyo-ah?” jihyo avoid his eye contact after hearing him say that. She low her head and didn't respond to him. Gary know he did hurt her. He hold her hand tightly to comfort her. After a while, she speak in low tone voice. It's like she is mumbling. “i know you lied to me oppa. I know you didn't get into a bar fight. You're sober last night” gary touch her long silky hair slowly. He feel guity toward her. He know getting into a bar fight is such a weak lie. Jihyo know him so much. He need to do better than that. “i'm sorry” gary can only apologize for hurting her. Jihyo speak up again. “i just want to know what really happen oppa. I can't stop thinking about you when I saw you like that last night.” gary lower his head. He bite his lower lip. It hurt him to see her like this. “i'm sorry but I just don't want to make worry” he reply to her slowly, hoping she would understand. “but i'm your girlfriend oppa. and I love you. Of course i'm gonna worry about you. You are part my life oppa. I don't know how can I live by myself if something happen to you” jihyo pour out her heart. Tears starting to come out from her eyes. Gary feel like his heart being stabbed when he saw her tears. It break his heart. He pull her into his embrace to calm her down. Jihyo continue to sobs on his chest, making his shirt all wet from her tears. Gary just let her cry. He want jihyo to get it all out of her chest. After a while, jihyo become calmer. She rest her head on his shoulder while gary still hug her. Gary take a deep breath before he start to speak. “my friend die last night” jihyo turn her head to look at gary. She is shock to hear that. Her eyes turn wide. She never expect that. She scan his face to make sure he is not joking around. He is not. He is telling the truth. Gary continue to speak again. “he died in my arm” jihyo just keep quiet waiting for gary to continue. “he had an accident. It happen in front of me. I try to safe him. But it is too late. He died before help arrived” jihyo hold his hand trying to calm him. She did not know what else to say. “i guess I was too affected by it. That's why I rush home to see you. I'm sorry if I make you worry” jihyo shook her head. “aniya oppa. i'm really sorry for what happen. I didn't know. Do I know him oppa?” gary shook his head. “No, you don't know him. But i've know him for years and we always have each others back. I guess maybe that's the reason I was so affected by it” gary give jihyo a weak smile after he finish talking. “i'm sorry I make you worry. I guess I need a little time by myself before I can tell you, I didn't realize that I hurt you” jihyo shook her head. “it's okay oppa, but oppa you don't have to be sorry that you make me worry about you. I'm your girlfriend. It's my job to worry about you” jihyo speak up try to enlightened the mood. Gary smile at her. He kiss her on the lip and she smile from the kiss. “can you come to the funeral with me jihyo-ah. I want to pay him my respect. And I need you by my side” jihyo nod “of course oppa. I'll come with you.” jihyo feel relieved that gary open up to her. She feel like everything is going to be okay again. She know gary just need time to heal and she is willing to wait for him. Gary on the other hand feel guilty. Somewhere in his heart, he hope that jihyo to catch his lies. Even though, it is not a complete lie, well his friend really die on his arm last night but it is not the complete truth.

 

 

In one of luxurious restaurant in Tokyo

 

Chu Sung Hoon is having a lunch. He is having a kobe beef steak with and expensive red wine. While enjoying his food, kim dong jun approach him with a phone on his hand. “i'm sorry sir, you have a phone call. Its him” Sunghoon take the phone with an annoying look for disturbing his hearty meal. He put up the phone and speak up without greeting. “i heard you fail” he said with sharp voice to the caller. “i'm sorry sir.. I didn't expect he manage to escape from the blast” the caller reply while stuttering. Clearly he is afraid to be yelled at by Sunghoon. To his suprise, sunghoo didn't yell at him “it's okay. At least now you know how good he is” sunghoon speak up with a smirk. The young man speak up through the phone “what do you want me to do now sir. Do you want me to keep approaching him?” “no. I want you to lay low for a while. You killed one of them. It mean they gonna send an army to find you. So just lay low for now. Enjoy your time in Seoul and then when they least expected it, kill him.” sunghoon give his order seriously. The young man reply “yes sir, I understand”. Sunghoon hung up the phone as soon he make sure his man understand his command. He give the phone to dongjun and continue with his meal. After a while he begin to thought to himself. “i guess you're still good gary-ah. We'll see how good you are..will see if you're still the best” sunghoon smirk by himself..

 

To be continue..