chapter 22

Love & Valor

 

 

Cheorwon military base

 

Gary walks himself toward the briefing room. He is carrying a folder in his hand, containing the new order for his team. He walks along the hallway until he reaches the white door of the room. As he opens the door, he saw the rest of his team are already there, waiting for him. All are there, yonghwa, leejoon, siwon, minho and seolhyun. They are ready to be briefed. “Good morning everyone” gary greet his team as he enters the room. He gestures for them to gather around the table located in the middle of the room the room. He then places a map on the table, along with the folder he carried earlier. The rest of them follow his instruction, bringing themselves to gather around the table, circling it and wait patiently for their captain to speak. Seeing that everyone is ready, gary begin to speak “As you all heard, North Korea are increasing their military very close to the border. Like usual, they claimed it is only a military exercise. But we should know better to take full precaution though. Now, our order is to observe their activity from here”. Gary said while pointing toward the map, showing one of the hill very near to the South-North Korean border. Too close that the two country had agree not to do any military operation at the location. All of them nod their head upon hearing what gary said, understanding him. They know the mission is top secret. It is always been like this. Ever since the Korean war, things are always tense between the two country. Even though the war is already over for ages, the situation is never calm like before. The two country are always at each other’s throat. North Korea still has eye on the South, and the South is trying to be in full alert, protecting their land from once the invader. That’s why the president formed the National Intelligence Service in 1961, for them to be at the tip of the spear of the South Kora military defence, to make sure the peace in South Korea will remain forever. Every time North Korea pull stunts like this, showing any sign of threat, NIS will be the first to act, to find out what are they’re up to and to stop them if necessary. This time is no exception though. This time, Gary and his newly formed team are order to observe what really happen at the border. “we will be deployed on this mountain. From there, we will observe any activity across the border, to see if they make an attempt to cross or to see what are they up to. Bear in mind though, our mission is only to observe. So we’re are not authorized to engage them. One more thing, for the record, we are not officially allowed to be there, and neither should them. This area is military free zone. So remember this mission is covert and we can’t be seen. Should anything bad happen on that mountain, we might unintentionally start a war. So remember, take every precaution that we can. Understand?” gary end his word while his eyes looking straight toward each member of his team, wanting to make sure they fully understand the order. Yonghwa raise his hand for a question “what about the people living near the border? Will they be evacuated?” he asks wanting to know the severity of the situation. “right now, the ministry of defence want this matter handle in total secret. They don’t want to cause panic by alerting the media. So we don’t have to worry about that so much. Besides, if they decide to evacuate the people, it will not be our job anyway. ROK Marine (republic of korea marine) will take care of that”. All of them nod hearing gary’s explanation. Is true though, evacuating the people is not their job though. Their job is for the special operation while those kind of mission like evacuation is done by the regular soldier. “Any other question?” gary ask again while looking at them. They shook their head in sync telling their superior they fully understand the order. Seeing that, gary feels satisfied “good. Make sure all your gear are ready. Make sure the weapon, ammunition, ration, radio for communication are all set. We will be moving out 2200 hours tomorrow. Good luck to all of us”.  

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seoul

 

Jongkook’s apartment

Ding dong…

 

The bell sound fills the entire house, telling that someone is at the door. Mrs Kim walks herself to the front door, ready to meet the guest she has been waiting for. Jongkook chuckle to himself as he saw how excited her mom is as she walks toward the door. “annyeonghaseyo ommoni” jihyo bow her head as the door opened from inside, greeting Mrs Kim who just opened the door for her. “ah jihyo-ah, you’re finally here” Mrs Kim kindly hug jihyo, showing how excited she is to meet the beautiful young lady. She then holds jihyo’s hand and pull her into the house. Jihyo bow slightly to jongkook as she saw him, greeting him as she walks further into the apartment. Mrs Kim bring jihyo into the living room and pull her to land on the sofa. They chat with each other, catching up what they’ve been missing since the last time they meet “you’re really becoming a beautiful young lady now. I’m so happy to see you. It’s been a while right?” Mrs Kim said while caressing jihyo soft white cheek. She’s really happy to see the young beautiful woman. Jihyo blush to hear such compliment. “it’s really been a while ommoni. How are you doing now?”. “I’m fine. But really bored back home though. Both my sons are too busy with their life now. They forgot about me”. Mrs Kim said to jihyo while her eyes glance at jongkook. “omma. What are you talking about? I always come back home” jongkook chip in the conversation, to protest his mother with his whining tone. Jihyo laugh at their drama. She knows it herself, jongkook is a well grown up man, and a very responsible one. Even if he’s very busy with his work, his mother is still his priority. He will always make time for his mother. They laugh enjoying each other stories, having a very good time.

 

After the long chat, they all went to the dining room. Jihyo feels amaze by the amount of foods that Mrs Kim had prepared “woah…it looks so delicious ommoni…”. She can feel herself drooling by the sight of those delicious and appetizing foods. Mrs Kim smile at the jihyo, happy to see how she react toward such a sight. She sure looks so cute when she is excited. “you must eat a lot okay. I prepare all of this special for you” Mrs Kim said to jihyo as she places some the oyster sauce meats into jihyo’s bowl. Clearly she is ignoring her own son, due to her care and love for jihyo. “omma, what about me?” jongkook said protesting as he feels left out by the two woman. “wae?…you’re a grown man. You can take care of yourself” Mrs Kim told on his son, while still ignoring him. Jongkook sigh to himself. It’s a happy sigh though. He’s happy to see his two favourite woman bonding together. He feels warm inside his heart. Feeling sorry seeing being left out buy her mother, jihyo place some of the meat in his bowl “here oppa. try this. It’s very delicious”. Mrs Kim smile at their action. She can see how well they take care of each other. Feeling too happy, she can’t help herself from asking. “so jihyo-ah…what do you think about jongkook? Don’t you think you’re suitable to each other?”. Jihyo’s shocks to hear the question. She didn’t get what Mrs Kim trying to say. Jongkook too feels shock by his mother question. He accidently choked on his food. He immediately gulps the water from his glass to relieve the choking sensation. Seeing that jihyo is not responding to her question, Mrs Kim asks again as she hold jihyo’s hand “do you think he’s a good man?”. Jihyo become loss of words. Clearly she never expects that kind of question. Yes, of course jongkook is good man, of course he’s handsome, of course she knows any woman would be lucky to have him, but she never thought of him that way. To her, jongkook is a friend, an oppa she can rely on. Seeing that jihyo unable to answer the question, jongkook decide to help her out. “omma. What are you talking about? We’re just friend. Besides jihyo already has a boyfriend” jongkook said to his mother, to dismiss all the though she had about jihyo and him. “jinja?”  Mrs Kim ask jihyo in low voice. She’s disappointed to hear that. She always thought that jihyo is perfect for his son. Jihyo just nods to the question. She doesn’t know what else to say. “but why didn’t you bring your boyfriend along?” Mrs Kim try to ask again. Trying to inquire more. “his out of town now. Right jihyo?” jongkook chip in again, answering the question for jihyo. All this while, jihyo just nods to the question. She doesn’t know how to reply Mrs Kim. Even she herself don’t know anymore, if gary is still her boyfriend. He’s been gone for a while now. And she never heard any single news from him. She doesn’t know if she is still waiting for him anymore. Yes, she cried for him sometime. But the longer she waits for gary to come back, the more unsure she gets. She just don’t know anymore. Jongkook too feels disappointed. Even though he helped jihyo with his mother questions, he too hopes to hear different version of jihyo’s answer. He kinda hoping that jihyo will say yes to her mother question. But he knows, it’s kind of hoping too much of it.

 

“are you sure you don’t want jongkook to send you home jihyo-ah” Mrs Kim said as she sends jihyo to the front door. Jihyo decide to take her leave after spending such good time with Mrs Kim and her jongkook oppa. Despite the awkward moment they had on the dining table, everything else went well. They had fun laughing and enjoying themselves. Seeing that its already getting dark, jihyo decides to take her leave first, for Mrs Kim could rest. “it’s okay ommoni, I can drive myself. Don’t worry” jihyo deny Mrs Kim gesture politely. “I’ll take my leave first ommoni. Oppa, I’ll see you at work. bye” jihyo said to them as she leaves their front door. Seeing that jihyo already left, Mrs Kim closes the door, and walks to the living room. Jongkook accompany her along the way. The both land on the sofa, tired for such a long happy day. “you know, it’s not too late jongkook-ah” Mrs Kim suddenly said to his son who is about to turn on the TV. Jongkook pause upon hearing his mom’s words “omma, I told you right. She already has a boyfriend” jongkook said in reply to his mother. “so?...she’s not married yet. You still have time” Mrs Kim said again as she doesn’t want to give up. Jongkook let out a heavy sigh. He knows his mother won’t give up talking about this. “I know you have feeling for her jongkook-ah. no matter how many time you told me you don’t, I know you do. You can’t lie to your mother jongkook-ah. I know my son”. Jongkook just smile weakly at her mother. Of course his mother knows him well. “I know you said she already has a boyfriend, but I doubt if that guy even better than you”. Jongkook chuckle to his mother “omma, how can you say that. You don’t even know him”. “so? I know my son is the best” jongkook can’t help to laughs at his mother words. Clearly she hasn’t meet gary, any yet she talks so confidently about his son. “jongkook-ah. I will never force you to love anyone. You know I will not interfere with your choice of life. But this time, I know you love her so much. So I want to fight for it jongkook-ah. I want you to fight for the woman you love. You can’t just sit around like this and just hope that one day she will come to you. Love is not that kind of fairy tale. You have to fight for it, earn it. That’s how your father and I do it. That’s why we cherish each other’s love so much, even till now. Because we know those love that we have, it’s not something easy that you can throw away. So please my son, fight for your love” Mrs Kim finish her words as she holds jongkook’s hand. Jongkook give his mother a small nod, telling her he understands what’s she’s been saying.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10:00 pm

 

Cheorwon military base

 

The sound of the black hawk helicopter fills the night. The helicopter is ready, waiting for gary and his team to board, to bring them to the operation site. Gary personally check on each of his team, making sure all of their equipment and gears are perfect. He doesn’t want to miss anything. He wants the mission to go well, to go smooth. He doesn’t want anything to go South in their first mission together. Seeing that everything is perfect, he’s satisfied. “okay everyone, this will be our first mission together. Siwon, minho and seolhyun, this will be your first time. But don’t worry, you’ve all been trained. Once we’re out there, we’re gonna take care of each other. If you have any difficulties, don’t be afraid to come to us. Remember, we’re in this together, and each other is all we’re gonna have. So, everybody ready?”. “yes sir!!!” all of them answer gary with unison, feeling pump to go out for their first mission together. “all right, let get this done with. Let’s go” gary said as he leads every one of them to board the helicopter. One by one, they got on the chopper while carrying their weapon and huge bag on their back. Seeing that everyone already on board, gary give a thumbs up to the pilot, telling him to start moving. The chopper then slowly gets off the ground and fly through the dark night, bringing gary and his team toward the mission site.

 

To be continue…

 

 

Hi guys…sorry if this chapter quite short compared to the other…but I do hope you enjoy this chapter…what you guys think gonna happen next…???

Till the next chapter then…