chapter 23

Love & Valor

 

 

RM Lawfirm Café

 

Jihyo is having her breakfast in the café, with Kwangsoo. They don’t have much thing to do in the office, so they decide to come to the café for their brunch. Jihyo is enjoying her favourite Americano and a French toast while her secretary having his sandwich. Having time to relax like this with nothing much to do sure what they needed. They chat with each other catching up with each other’s life. “so kwangsoo-ah. I heard you have a girlfriend now. Why didn’t you tell me?” jihyo ask kwangsoo with a teasing voice while she took a sip from her Americano. Kwangsoo can’t help from blushing upon hearing the tease from his noona. “aniya noona. She’s not even my girlfriend, it’s just a crush. Anyway, where did you hear this from?” kwangsoo ask while trying to hide his red tomato face. “jongkook oppa told me” jihyo simply stated while smiling looking at her dongsaeng. “aish…this kimjongkook, can’t he even keep a secret” kwangsoo whine feeling upset at jongkook, but he is still smiling sheepishly though. Clearly he is not really mad at his hyung. “who’s she kwangsoo-ah?” jihyo ask, wanting to know about her dongsaeng crush. Kwangsoo’s face become as red, feeling shy to talk about his crush “her name is Yuri. Jongkook hyung and I meet her at the gym” kwangsoo spills out while his face still blushing hard. Jihyo can’t help from laughing at her dongsaeng idiotic face “wah…my dongsaeng are all grown up now. So, when are you planning to ask her out?”. “what are you talking about noona? We barely talk to each other. I even doubt that she notices me” kwangsoo said in reply to his noona. Jihyo know kwangsoo has this kind of personality issue, he’s not confident of himself. “come on kwangsoo-ah. Be confident with yourselves. I’m sure she’s gonna like you too. You really are a good man. You take care of everybody. I know as soon as she saw that in you, she will fall for you” kwangsoo just smile gratefully to hear such words from jihyo.

 

As they’re having the conversation, two man come to greet them at the table. It’s Haha and jongkook. They land themselves on the empty chairs to join jihyo and kwangsoo. “what are you two chatting about?” jongkook ask while he give a small tap on kwangsoo’s back. “nothing hyung” kwangsoo immediately answer his hyung, not wanting his hyung to know what he was saying to jihyo. Unfortunately, jongkook know him too well. He can guest it just by the look of kwangsoo’s blushing face. “are you talking about Yuri?” jongkook ask with a teasing smile. Kwangsoo become dumbfounded, shock for being caught by jongkook. The rest of them at the table laugh at their dongsaeng idiotic face. “anyway, did you guys heard already, there will be a company trip next week” jongkook said after the hearty laugh. “jinja? Where?” kwangsoo ask, interested to hear the news. “I think somewhere around Paju. From what I heard, company will pay for everything. So we have to hurry and put our name if we’re interested”. “did you register already hyung?” kwangsoo ask jongkook impatiently. Clearly he is excited to join the trip, and to know it’s free really pump him up even more. “no, I haven’t. I want to ask you guys first. So, what do you guys think?” jongkook ask in hoping they will agree, especially jihyo. He kinda hope jihyo will agree to join the trip. He’s hoping to spend time with her there. “I’m in” kwangsoo said excitedly. “what about you jihyo? Do you want to come?” jongkook ask her after he didn’t hear any reply from her. Jihyo ponder for a while, thinking if she should join the free trip or not. “come on. We’ve been in this busy city for too long now. It’s time for us to get some fresh air, embrace nature”. Jongkook said encouraging jihyo even more after noticing she’s been thinking a lot. Jihyo smile hearing his words “arasso oppa. I’ll join”. Jongkook’s happy to hear that from her. He sure can’t wait to spend time with her during the trip. “I really hope to join you guys, but I can’t, sorry though” Haha suddenly said to them with a sad face. They nod to his words. They understand, Haha has to take care of Byul, she’s two months pregnant now. After months of trying, Haha and Byul finally will able to get what they want the most, a child. “it’s okay oppa. Maybe next time you can join us. Perhaps at that time, we will have a cute new member in the group” jihyo said excitedly, referring to the future baby. She’s happy for both them. She knows they deserve that kind of happiness. She too hopes to be happy like them, even though now she’s not sure anymore if she can. And even if she finds it, she still doesn’t know with who will she share the happiness with.
 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A week after…

13:00

Paju National Park

 

They arrive at the park. It’s actually a national forest, preserved by the government to protect the nature. It’s so beautiful. The long hours of bus ride sure is worth it for them after having this kind of magnificent sight. They can see a clear river flow along the forest, with a waterfall at the en of it. “woah…what a fresh air!!” jihyo said as she inhales the deep breath, enjoying the beautiful scenary. The group excitedly bring themselves to enjoy the beautiful scenery. First stop, the water fall. The group heads to the beautiful waterfall. They’re almost thirty of them, enjoying the cold fresh water. Unable to wait, they jumped themselves into the cold water, swimming happily with each other company. Unlike others, jihyo decide not to join them for a quick bath under the waterfall though. She decides to enjoy her time alone taking picture of her friends enjoying themselves. “you’re not joining us?” jongkook ask the beautiful lady in front of him as he saw she’s too busy with her camera. His body and white round neck are totally soaks by the fresh cold water. Jihyo can see his muscular body shaking a bit, due to the coldness. She just shook her head while smiling. “too bad though, the water here is really fresh” jongkook said trying talk jihyo into joining them. “jinja?” jihyo ask as if she doesn’t know. Jongkook nods to her question while his body still shaking. Jihyo walk nearer toward the river bed just to be splashed by jongkook. “aish…jinja…I knew it kimjongkook!! You’re a rascal!!” jihyo protest at jongkook as her shirt start to get wet. Jongkook just laugh at her before he joins the other again, leaving jihyo alone with her camera. He’s kinda hoping to spend time with her instead, but decide he will do it later.

 

After a while of enjoying the fresh bath, the tour guide makes an announcement for them “okay, rest yourself for a little bit. After about half an hour, we’re going to the tip of that mountain” the tour guide said while pointing towards the on the highest mountain there. Everyone in the group look at the mountain, feeling excited, can’t wait for the jungle tracking. They heard it’s going to be a long hard walk, yet it will be worth it. The scenery at the top will be amazing. After the briefing, they continue to get ready, preparing their backpack for the jungle tracking. “it’s going to be a hard walk, so stay close to us okay” jongkook said to jihyo, asking her to stay close either with him or kwangsoo. They’re little worry about jihyo. Afraid if she can’t keep up with the long hard walk. Not that they think she’s weak, but they know the walk would be quite dangerous that they need to keep an eye on her, making sure she’s safe. Jihyo nods to jongkook words, telling him she understands his words “arasso oppa, don’t worry. I’ll stay close to you guys”. Jihyo feels really grateful by them at her side, protecting her and making sure she’s okay. After making sure everyone is ready, the tour guide starts to lead the group for the jungle tracking.

 

It’s been two hours since they start walking through the thick woods. With their heavy backpack hanging on their back, it’s sure challenging to move and finding the right steps going through the thick bushes and tree branches. They walk in line following the tour guide. The tour guide is kind of young, around his early twenties, but he sure knows his way around though. He sure had a lot of experience with this kind of jungle tracking. He guided the group very well despite of his young age. All of them are tired, but they really enjoy the tracking so much. They can see different species of plants and even animal that they would never see in their life in Seoul. It’s good to be here, to get some air. Jihyo feels glad that she come here. She didn’t stop taking picture of the rare species she found, including some of her selfie. Though she’s tired, she’s really happy. She loves to be here. She really appreciates the nature so much. With the help of jongkook and kwangsoo who’ll always keeping an eye on her, helping her with her steps, jihyo manages to keep up, walking through the think jungle safely. The group keep on walking for few more minutes before they reach into a stop. “okay everyone. This is only half way. We’re going to rest here for a while, about fifteen minutes, then we’re going to continue again. Is that okay?” the young tour guide said while pointing towards a place to rest. It’s quite an open place, not too big though, but enough space for them to rest. It is surrounded by big tree that act like a canopy for them, protecting them from the sunlight. “ah finally, we can sit. My legs are killing me” kwangsoo said as he takes off his backpack, dropping it on the ground. The long walk sure tired the hell out of him. Jongkook help jihyo to take off her bag too, guiding her toward a tree, to rest under it. Jihyo give a heavy sigh as she rests her back against the tree. “are you okay?” jongkook ask her in concern while giving her a bottle of water. Jihyo nods to his question, while her eyes looking at the rest of the group. They are all resting, tired from the long walk, but jihyo can still see the joyful face in each one of them though. She can see her officemate share some food with each other, enjoying chatting with each other while taking the fifteen-minute break. “noona, have some of this” kwangsoo said while giving jihyo some biscuits. They eat there for a while before kwangsoo suddenly stand up. It’s like he’s in hurry. Jongkook and jihyo stare in Mong at his sudden action “I need to pee…” kwangsoo said replying to their stare. “yah!!! that’s discusting” jihyo yell at him while throwing him a bottle of water, for him to use later if he needed so later. Kwangsoo just laugh at his noona outburst “why is that disgusting. It’s a normal thing to do” he said while swiftly catching the thrown bottle. “but you don’t have to tell us that. You can just quietly by yourselves” jihyo retaliate back annoyingly. “sorry, I just don’t want you guys to start walking while I’m away” kwangsoo reply his noona with a teasing smile, satisfied for annoying her. Jongkook just laugh at their action. Their indeed cute when the bicker against each other. It shows how close they really are. “don’t worry kwangsoo-ah…I’ll tell them to wait for you. Just go and finish your business” jongkook said to assure kwangsoo. With that, kwangsoo walks away from them to answer the nature call.

 

Kwangsoo walks himself further through the thick bushes, but not too far from the group though. He’s afraid to get lost. After a while of walking, he come to a weird looking bushes. But not wanting to walk even deeper to the forest, he decides the bushes is fine, perfect place for him do his business. He unbuckles his belt and ready to lower his pants and underwear, ready to do his thing right in front the weird looking bushes. As he’s about to start, suddenly kwangsoo saw something he would never expect to see in his life. Suddenly, the bushes move fast toward him, closing the gap between them. Kwangsoo’s eyes open wide upon seeing that. He saw a pair of eyes inside the weird looking bushes. He’s about to scream out of horror, yet before kwangsoo could even react, he felt hand closing his mouth tightly, and feels like something sharp pressing is against his neck “Shh…don’t move”. Kwangsoo’s heart drop upon hearing that. He tries to identify what’s on his neck. To his shock, it’s a knife. His body begin tremble out of fear. He would never expect that the weird looking bushes is actually a person. A very harmful person who’s about to take his life.

 

Seconds after kwangsoo encounter with the attacker, back to the group, where they’re all waiting for kwangsoo to come back, jihyo and jongkook are packing their water and light snacks they had earlier into their backpack again, getting ready for the next long walk. As all of the group member are busy getting ready, sudden yells comes from their surrounding “get on the ground now!!! Get on the ground!!!”. The sudden yelling and screaming turn the once a peaceful forest into loud and chaotic scenes. All of them got shock upon seeing few shadow in perfect camouflage suddenly appear from the bushes, forcing everybody to lay on the ground. It’s like being in a horror movie. All of them are fully equipped with rifle pointing towards the group. Jihyo froze, too shock for what she just saw. She’s in horror. She saw few of her female officemate begin to scream in horror, due to shock “shut up!!! Get on the ing ground now!!!” she saw the person with the weapon keep on forcing the screaming ladies to shut up and to lie down on their stomach. They keep pointing their weapon as they give their order forcefully. Few of her male friend including jongkook try to fight back though, only to get hit by the of the rifle. One by one, they fall down on the hard ground, including jongkook. “oppa!!” jihyo exclaimed as she run toward him when she was him fall hard upon being hit. “oppa, are you okay?” jihyo ask him upon reaching him, making sure he’s okay. She’s worried if anything bad happen to him. “I’m okay. Are you okay?” jongkook ask her back in between his painful grunt, afraid if the attacker harmed jihyo too. “I’m okay. But where’s kwangsoo?” jihyo ask jongkook in fear as she saw no sign of their dongsaeng.  Fortunately, few moments later, they saw him, but he’s being push though, by an attacker behind him. “kwangsoo-ah!!” jongkook try to call him, but only to be pushed back on the ground by the attacker. Kwangoo ran towards jongkook and jihyo as soon as the attacker behind him ask him to join the group, to lay down on ground. The three of them hold onto each other’s hand tightly, feeling scared for what’s going to happen next. They just lie there helplessly, witnessing the chaotic scene. They saw their friend keep on screaming out of horror and being yelled upon by the attacker, asking them to shut up. They can hear some of their female officemate crying, due to fear and shock.

 

 After a while, the attacker manages to get hold of everybody, making them lying flat on the stomach quietly, not wanting their victims to have a good look on their face. “yah!! Why do you come out!!” jihyo heard one of the attacker talks to each other. “I have no choice. He’s about to pee on me!!” one of the attacker reply back, while pointing at kwangsoo. “so what, you suppose to endure it. We’re not supposed to be seen here. We’re so ed up right now”. Jihyo just listen the attacker arguing with each other, blaming each other for making the sudden unnecessary attack on them. As jihyo on keep listening to them arguing with each other, at the angle of left her eyes, she saw another glimpse of shadow coming out from the thick bushes, walking towards them. Seems like he’s the leader. “Shut up!!! Everybody stand down!! What happen?” the person who just came ask his friends. Jihyo’s heart drop upon hearing the voice. Her eyes open wide, with mouth gap open. She can feel her chest pounding hard. She knows that voice so much. She used to wake up to that voice every single morning. The voice that once gives her the most happiness in her entire life. It’s the voice she’s been missing for so long. Unable to contain herself, she gets up, trying to have a good look at the source of the voice. With her sudden movement, their eyes meet. Both of their eyes open wide, shock upon seeing each other. He looks different now, much thinner since the last time she saw him. He’s wearing a complete camouflage outfit, with a rifle hanging from his body. He has dirt all over his face, but that doesn’t make it difficult for jihyo to recognize him. Jihyo is in daze. Never in millions years would she thought to see him like this “Oppa?”…

 

To be continue…

 

 

Hi guys…I think all of you can guess who is that person right??…but if you’re not…just wait for the next chapter though…hope you enjoy this chapter…even if it seems my writing turning bad lately…I’m to occupied with a lot of stuff and quite busy now…till the next chapter then…