chapter 16

Love & Valor

J café

 

“what? I don’t understand...” jihyo ask in confuse. She looks at the person who is sitting in front of her. The man gives her a small smile. He repeats his question again “what do you know about your boyfriend?”. “about kang gary?” jihyo ask again, like she is confirming the question again. Sukjin give her a small nod. “well, he works at the L Comm as and IT engineer. Before that he was graduated from Seoul University. We’ve been together for almost one year. He is always thoughtful and caring toward me. Why are you asking me all of this out of sudden? I’m sure you already know all of this about him?” jihyo ask sukjin out of curiosity. She feels something is off. Something is not right. Why would a stranger ask her all these. She feels nervous as she sits on the chair. Her palm become sweaty and her heart begin to pound hard. Sukjin know that of her. He knows what jihyo is thinking. He gives her a small smile to ease her, but it is not working. He knows his small smile won’t get rid of jihyo’s uneasy feeling. He looks away from her to shift his attention toward one of his bodyguard who is standing not too far from them. Jihyo too follow his eyes to look at the bodyguard. Sukjin gives him a small nod and the bodyguard walk out of the café. Jihyo wonder where is bodyguard going. But not long after that, the bodyguard come back with a young lady with him. Jihyo see that the lady is younger than her and she is walking toward them. She has long straight hair and she is wearing a grey formal suit with a knee length skirt. She is holding a black briefcase in her right hand. The lady walks to where they were sitting and give sukjin the briefcase. Sukjin gladly accept the briefcase with a smile. “songjihyo-shi this is my secretary, Jessica.” Sukjin said as he introduces his secretary to jihyo. Jihyo just give Jessica a small nod. Jihyo didn’t say any other words. She is still nervous. Her mind is still wondering the main reason Sukjin wanted to meet her. “ah here it is” sukjin said as he takes out something from the briefcase and hand it to jihyo. Jihyo accept it while her face is still Mong.

 

Jihyo look at the white file sukjin had given her. It has a big blue round symbol at the front of the file. It has a word “CLASSIFIED” written in red colour on it. Jihyo feel confuse. “what is this?” She looks at sukjin with her Mong look.  Sukjin chuckle upon seeing her face. She is indeed cute when she is nervous and blank. “Have a look at this file. It should give you the answer you’re looking for” sukjin said to jihyo replying to her question. Jihyo shift her attention back to file, flipping for the first page. Her eyes turn wide upon seeing the contains of the file. She saw gary’s passport size picture on it. He looks very much younger in the picture, it’s like the picture was taken five to six years ago. And he is wearing a military outfit with a black beret on his head. Jihyo’s heart pound even harder upon seeing the picture. She feels really uneasy. She feels scared. She knows something is not right. She didn’t dare to look further into the file. She turns her attention from the file to sukjin who is still sitting in front of her. He is still looking at her. Jihyo asks for Sukjin to speak up, to explain to her. “what is this? Why is there gary oppa picture in it. Sukjin inhale a deep breath as he straightens his body before he speaks up. He looks at jihyo deeply in the eye, showing her he is serious, that he is telling her the truth “His name is Kang Hee Gun. Captain Kangheegun to be exact. He was a member of 707th Special Operation Force. His specialty is assault and tactical respond. After two years’ distinguishable service in the force, he was recruited to join NIS, National Intelligence Service. Well, actually I was the one who recruited him. When he joined the NIS, we changed his name to kanggary, the one you and others now know”. Jihyo eyes turn wide. She can’t help herself from stops blinking repeatedly. She feels like everything sukjin told her are totally nonsense. It’s a total bull. “I’m sorry, I don’t understand what are you trying to say. I think you get it wrong. My boyfriend is not some kind of military guy. He is an IT engineer” jihyo said trying to correct sukjin, telling him he was wrong. Sukjin give a long sigh before he answers her “songjihyo-shi, I’m telling you the truth”. Jihyo smirk to him. She thinks sukjin is doing prank on her “come on sukjin-shi…you expect me to believe all this?” jihyo said with a small laugh. But sukjin is not laughing. He looks serious. Clearly he is not joking. He speaks up again with a stern voice, telling the lady in front of her he is not playing any games with her “Songjihyo-shi, your boyfriend is a spy. He works for covert operation that is very unknown to normal civilian like you. He works as a shadow to protect this country” jihyo’s eyes open wide. Her mind went blank upon hearing sukjin words. She can feel he is not joking with her. She feels uneasy. She can feel that her heart about to explode. She can feel her heart stop beating. Her head feels heavy as she tries to process the new information she just receives. She looks into sukjin eyes intensely to read him. She sure hope he is joking with her. But she can see he is dead serious. Jihyo become afraid. She’s scare if what sukjin said is the truth. She feels her chest getting heavier. It’s difficult for her to breath. She can feel herself suffocating. Jihyo try to calm herself before she begins to speak again. She looks at sukjin in the eye. “listen here sukjin-shi. I don’t know what your intention is. I don’t know if this is some kind of joke or prank, but my boyfriend is IT engineer and he work at the L Comm, a huge high tech company…” jihyo said slightly raising her voice. She is angry at sukjin for making such nonsense statement about her beloved boyfriend. She loves gary so much and trust her beloved boyfriend with all her heart. She wouldn’t believe such nonsense from an outsider, even if it his boss. Sukjin just look at jihyo calmly. He knows she is angry at him, but he remains calm “I’m sorry jihyo-shi. But there is no such thing as L Comm. L Comm is actually a cover for NIS covert operation base in Seoul”. Jihyo don’t know what else to say. She swallows her own saliva hard feeling afraid. She refuses herself to believe any of this. “I don’t believe you. You’re lying. I know my boyfriend. He wouldn’t lie to me” She pick up her hand bag which is on the table and walk away. As about to left the café, sukjin speak up to her. “it doesn’t matter if you believe me or not jihyo-shi. It won’t change the fact that kanggary is one the best agent NIS ever have. Just search inside your house if you don’t believe me. You’ll know the truth” jihyo stop her steps as she heard what sukjin said to her. Her breathing is still heavy. She closes her eyes for a short seconds and take a deep breath, trying to calm herself. “you’re lying” jihyo said in stern voice replying to sukjin. She didn’t want to believe him. She walks away leaving the café. Sukjin just look at jihyo as she left. He exhales a long sigh as he saw the small petite figure left “I’m sorry gary-ah...I have to do this”

 

 

Mongae apartment

 

Jihyo walks lifelessly into the apartment. Her foot step feels heavy. She just reaches their home. Gary is still not home yet though. She feels her body really weak and her mind blank. It is only thinking of one thing, about gary. She’s still restless about her boyfriend. She can’t wait for gary to come home. She wants to ask him in person. She knows sukjin is lying. She knows it’s impossible for Gary to lie to her. He is always loving, sweet and romantic boyfriend to her. He wouldn’t do such a thing. Even if he lies, it would only mean he doesn’t want jihyo to worry about him. And jihyo know she would catch on his lies right away. Gary even said once that jihyo is his lie detector. Of course she trusts her beloved boyfriend. She walks herself slowly to the kitchen. She gets herself a glass of water to calm her nerves. Jihyo pick her phone from her pocket and dials gary’s number. She really need to hear his voice now, to comfort her, making her heart at ease.  But before she can hear a ringtone, she ends the call. She cancels the call. She suddenly feels afraid.

“Just search inside your house. You’ll know the truth”

Sukjin’s words keep ringing in jihyo’s head repeatedly. She is battling with herself either to believe what sukjin said or not. She can’t decide. “what are you doing jihyo-ah. You know that old bastard is lying. Of course you know kanggary. He is a sweet and trustworthy man. He wouldn’t lie to you. He loves you so much to do such a thing” jihyo thought to herself, trying to convince herself. She wants to believe in her beloved boyfriend instead, the boyfriend that always been loving and caring to her. But unknowingly, jihyo begin to walk herself to the cabinet drawer. She begins to look into the drawer and search for something. After not finding anything, she shifts to another drawer and another drawer. Soon, she begins to search for the whole house, looking for every corner of the house, looking for an answer. She went to each room, each closet, searching for something. She didn’t know what exactly she is looking for, yet she keeps on searching. With every books, every object she lifts and look into, her heart pounding even harder. She feels nervous, she feels uneasy. In her heart, she keeps on praying hoping to not find anything that will crush her heart. She keeps on scolding herself to stop the search but her hand and eyes are doing the opposite. After long hours of searching every inch of the house, she finds a small black inside a footlocker in the store room. She had never see the box before. She feels suspicious as she looks at the black box. Jihyo bring the box into their bedroom and rest herself at the edge of their beds. Her hands are still holding the box tightly. She didn’t know if she should open it or not. She wanted to know yet she fears of what inside of it. After long minutes of thinking, she opens the box slowly. She looks into the box carefully and there it is. Tears start flowing out from her eyes as she looks at the contain. It breaks her heart to know the boyfriend she loves so much had been lying to her all this while. Kanggary is lying to her. She feels her heart been crush into pieces. She feels like it’s been stabbed by a sharp knife. She broke down into hard sobs. Tears flow out of her nonstop. She’s sobbing hard; her body start to shake. “why oppa…why?” she mumbles in her tears. She can’t believe what she just saw. Suddenly, she hears her phone ringing. She looks at the caller ID while her eyes are still full with tears. It’s gary. Jihyo cry even harder upon seeing his name. She wanted to talk to him. She wanted him to explain to her. But before she can bring herself to answers the call, she changes her mind. She decides to ignore the call. She’s not ready to talk to him right now. She need time to calm herself first.

 

 

Inside Kwangsoo’s car

 

“aishh…what is she doing now? Why wouldn’t she pick up the phone?” gary mumble to himself for failing to call jihyo few time. He feels uneasy. He didn’t know what it is, but he has bad feeling, like something bad about to happen. Gary is sitting at the passenger seat beside kwangsoo who is driving. Haha is sitting at back by himself. They are on the way back to Seoul. The trio just finish enjoying themselves at the countryside, fishing. They didn’t catch much though, yet they enjoy themselves spending time with each other. “she didn’t pick up hyung?” Haha ask Gary as he saw his hyung mumbling by himself looking disappointed. He knows immediately it must be about jihyo. Gary just nod to the question. “it’s okay hyung, we’ll reach there anytime soon” Haha said telling Gary that they are about to reach their destination. Gary give sigh and focus his attention at the window again. He can’t wait to get home. Being away from her whole day sure make him miss her like crazy. He can’t wait to get home and spend time with his beloved girlfriend.

 

 

8:00 pm

 

Mongae apartment

 

Gary open the front door of their lovely home. He shouts out calling for his beloved girlfriend as he opens the door “jihyo-ah I’m home”. Silent. Gary hear nothing. There is no respond from her. “jihyo-ah I’m home. I miss you” Gary try calling jihyo again, more lovingly this time. But there is still no respond from her. Gary feel weird. “is she not home?” gary question himself and walk himself further into the house looking for jihyo. He reaches the living room. Jihyo is still not there. “honey? Are you home?” gary call again, hoping for a respond from her. To his disappointment, there isn’t. “maybe she went out?” Gary then walk to the kitchen to place the fish he caught inside the fridge. He plans to make dinner for both of them later. He then walks himself toward the bedroom. He wants to take a shower now. He feels tired and wants to clean himself up.

 

As gary reach the bedroom, he saw a person’s shadow sitting at the edge of the bed quietly. He got the shock of his life. He jumps himself as he startled for being too shock “oh jihyo-ah. You shock me. I thought you’re not home. Why are you sitting in the dark by yourself?” Gary said as he saw jihyo. He can’t help himself from smiling upon seeing his beautiful girlfriend. Jihyo didn’t reply him back though. She just remains quiet in the same position. She just looks at him. Gary walk himself toward jihyo, the girlfriend his misses the most. As she about to lean into her for a kiss, he notices her eyes and nose are all red. He feels something is not right. He feels uneasy. He’s afraid if something bad happen to her. He kneels on the floor and bring himself to face jihyo. Gary cups jihyo’s small angelic face with his hands. “jihyo-ah. are you alright? Have you been crying? What happen?” gary ask worriedly at his girlfriend. Jihyo felt her heart broken upon hearing his lovely voices. The voice is so full of love, full of concern. She loves him so much, yet it breaks her heart upon hearing him. Tears started to flow on her soft white cheek again. Gary become worried upon seeing her crying like that. It broke his heart “jihyo-ah. What wrong? Why are you crying?” “oppa…what is this?” jihyo ask gary as she show him his black SIG Sauer pistol. Gary eyes turn wide seeing his girlfriend holding his gun. He became speechless. “where did you find this jihyo-ah?” gary ask jihyo in stuttering voice. His heart is pounding hard. He really doesn’t know how to answer her. “I found it in the store oppa…why do you have this oppa?” jihyo ask her boyfriend again. She really need an answer from him. Gary begin to tremble. He’s breathing hard, trying to reach for air to breath. He tries to answer her with stuttering voice, feeling nervous. “it just a hobby of mine…sometime I went shooting at the shooting range…it’s just a hobby”. Jihyo mumps her lips together. She knows gary is lying. It disappoints her knowing her beloved boyfriend really lied to her. Jihyo look at gary in the eyes. She wants gary to tell the truth “please oppa…stop lying to me…I need to know the truth” jihyo begs in her tears. Gary feels his heart drops upon hearing her call out his lies. “jihyo-ah…” “please tell me the truth kangheegun” jihyo said cutting gary’s words. Gary eyes turn wide upon hearing jihyo mentioning his real name. He is too shock he can feel his heart stop beating. He feels really scared if his secret is already blown. “how do you that name?” gary ask jihyo in shock. It is impossible to know it by herself. Gary know someone must have told her. Even Gil doesn’t know his real name. That information is too classified. Only person as high rank as sukjin can know that information. Jihyo just shook her head “that’s not important oppa…I just want to know the truth now. And now I know oppa. you’ve been lying to me all this while.” Jihyo said in her sobs while she never leaves her eyes from gary. Gary doesn’t know what else to say. He is too shock knowing his cover is blown. He just bends his head looking at the floor. He didn’t dare to look at jihyo, feeling guilty for being caught lying to her.

Seeing that there is no respond from gary, jihyo begin to speaks up again “who are you really oppa?” gary didn’t answer her. His eyes are still fix on the floor. “please tell me oppa. I want to know the truth. You owe me at least this much oppa. Please tell me” jihyo ask him again. She is begging to him. Gary is battling with himself of what to tell her. He knows he is totally doom now. After a while of thinking, he begins to speak up with a low voice “I’m not supposed to fall in love with you jihyo-ah. I really wasn’t supposed too.  I was trained to not to fall to someone, but I can’t help it jihyo-ah. I fall in love with you.” Gary pause himself and raise his head to look at jihyo in the eyes. He can see jihyo’a eyes are still wet. Jihyo is shock to hear him finally admit it. She just silent herself as she looks at him back, waiting patiently for him to continue to speak. Gary take a deep breath before he begins continue to speak “I work for the government jihyo-ah. I do things the government doesn’t want other people to know. I’m a spy. I’m sorry I’ve been lying to you all this time. But my feeling to you are real jihyo-ah. I’m really not lying. I really love you. My feeling for you is real. I swear” Jihyo smirk at him as she hears him explaining himself. “you love me oppa? what do you know about love oppa? how can you love me and yet you’ve been lying to me all this while? I thought you’re different from other man kanggary. I thought I can trust you. I thought I finally find the man I want to spend the rest of my life with. But turn out you’re worsts than any guy a had ever dated before. You disgust me kanggary. At least they never lie to me” jihyo said to gary and get up from the bed. She walks himself out of the bedroom. She can’t look at gary right now. Gary too get up and try to catch jihyo “please jihyo-ah…I really love you… I have no choice… I have to protect you…that’s why I lied” gary said as she tries to hug jihyo from the back. Jihyo struggles to free herself from gary “please oppa…let me go…let me go” She really didn’t want to see him now. She wants to clear her mind before she can look at him again. But gary is not stopping himself. He keeps on trying to pull jihyo in his embrace. He wants to calm her and talk to her. He really afraid is he loses her forever “please jihyo…let me explain to you” Seeing that gary is not giving up, jihyo turn her body to face him and unknowingly her right hand land on gary’s left cheek. A loud sound spread through their entire apartment. PANG!!! The hard slap froze both of them from any movement. Jihyo cover feeling shock and guilty for what she just did. Her hands are shaking. She really didn’t mean to slap him. She just wanted to escape herself from him. She really need time to calm herself first. They look into each other eyes, staring at each other. Jihyo eyes are still wet. After a while, jihyo speak up “I’m sorry oppa. but I need you to leave right now” gary really don’t want to leave. He wants to talk things through with jihyo. He’s afraid if leave, he might not able to come back again. He tries to persuade jihyo “but…” “please kanggary. Leave. I cannot look at you right now” jihyo cut gary’s words before he can’t even finish his sentence. Gary feels disappointed hearing the word from. The words are too sharp. He nods his head understand what she meant. He knows he lost her. He lost the woman he loves the most in this world. “arasso. Goodbye jihyo-ah”. with heavy steps, gary walk himself out of the apartment. Jihyo just look at him as he walks away. Just before he leaves the apartment he turns around at look at jihyo “I’m sorry if I ever hurt you jihyo-ah. I want you to know that I really love you. Goodbye”. With that gary leave the apartment with a broken heart. Jihyo tears falls again as she sees gary really leave. She loves him so much. He is the love of her life. She wants to chase him back, to call him back, but she stops herself from doing so. Her heart is too hurt by him. It broke her heart so much to know her beloved kanggary is lying to her. She broke down onto the floor while crying her heart out. She tries to hold her chest while still in her tears to withstand the pain she feels in her heart. “oppa!!! I love you!!! Why you do this to me!!! Why you do this to us!!!” jihyo screams in her tears as she crying herself out. She can’t believe what just happen…

 

To be continue

 

 

 

Hi guys…fuh…I finally reveal gary’s real identity…feel quit hard to put on all of the emotion to write on this chapter …I hope it is up to your expectation though … And sorry for the long absent...i just got back from the long trip and get quit busy after that…I already had the plot in mind but having problem to find time to actually write it…hope you guys enjoy the chapter though…

 

For those of you didn’t quit understand gary’s identity. 707th special operation force is actually a military special forces team of south korea and it is equivalent to American navy seal or delta force. And NIS is equivalent to CIA and NSA. This organization is really present in south korea military even though this story is totally fiction…