chapter 24

Love & Valor

 

“Oppa...?”

 

Jongkook and kwangoo bring their eyes to look at the person that jihyo just call. Like her, their eyes open wide upon the sight, shock to see him again. Shock to see their long lost brother is right in front of them now. And with all those outfit and weapon that he has, he surely looks different from how they remember him. He’s no longer the innocent kanggary. It’s like he’s a different person now. Jihyo who is still standing look at him intently, like she can’t believe she’s actually seeing him. She can feel her heart pounding hard. Too shock and too nervous to see him again. But some part of her is really happy. Happy to be able to see her long lost boyfriend again, happy to meet the man she loves so much again. She’s so happy she can feel her eyes getting watery, too happy to see him again. “Oppa…” jihyo call him again as she saw no reaction from gary. Nothing, he just stands there quietly without any word nor movement. It’s like he’s froze. Jihyo know gary is as shock as her. Clearly he never imagines to be able see her again, especially like this. Seeing that there’s no respond from gary, jihyo take a step forward, to bring herself closer to him. Unfortunately, with the one step she took, all of gary’s team suddenly being in full alert, pointing their gun toward her. Jihyo froze in fear by their action. “don’t move!!” one of them shout at her, commanding her to stop moving, making her tremble in fear. “everybody stands down!!” gary yells at his team’s sudden action, not wanting them to hurt jihyo. They follow their superior order lowering their weapon from her. Seeing that, jihyo feels a little relieve. At least she knows gary and his team mean no harm to them. So she took another step toward gary, only to shock herself again when gary suddenly back off from her. While his eyes are still on jihyo, gary give an order to one of his man. “lieutenant, take care of this. Check all of their identification and inform the situation to the HQ” gary then walks away and disappear into the woods as he finishes his sentence to yonghwa, leaving jihyo in shock by his action. “oppa!!” jihyo calls on gary, asking him to stop but gary just ignore her. He left without looking back. She wanted to chase him but was stop by one of his man. “I’m sorry miss, you have to stay here” one of the man said to her. Jihyo reluctantly agree to the order even if she hate it so much. She really wants to chase after gary, unfortunately she can’t.

 

Gary walks himself further into the woods, alone. He’s moving fast he don’t ever bother to avoid any braches or bushes while he’s on the way. His steps are so fast he almost stumbles to the ground, yet he ignores it. He needs to process his thought. He some need time by himself. After a while of walking, he stops. He brings both his hand toward his face and exhale a big sigh “what’s happening right now? Why are you suddenly here?” gary sigh to himself. He is in shock. He feels like God are playing game with him right now. He brings his right hand to feel his own heartbeat. It’s pounding hard, real hard that he feels like he’s having a panic attack. He never expects to see jihyo again. Never in million years would he thought of seeing her again. He already gave up on that hope long time ago. Gary had always tried to forget about her, knowing that he must live his life without her. And to see her again like this, really something he would never thought of. Gary can feel his breath getting heavy as he tries to process what had just happened. He can feel his eyes tearing as he feels his chest suffocating. It’s too painful for him to bear. “Sir, are you okay?” a sudden voice break gary’s racing thought. He looks at the source of voice and see Yonghwa looking at him. “oh lieutenant, yeah I’m fine” gary said to yonghwa while trying to hide his solemn face from him. He inhales a deep breath to compose himself. “did you check on them already?” gary ask to yonghwa while trying to avoid his questionable gaze. Yonghwa something is off. Who is that girl, is she the reason why his superior been drinking all this while. He dismisses his thought to answer gary’s question “yes sir, we already check them. They’re not a threat. They’re just normal civilian happen to be in trip here. But HQ do want them to be debrief sir” Gary nods upon hearing Yonghwa’s words. Of course he knows that even if jihyo and her friends are not a threat, they still need to be debrief, to make sure they won’t tell anybody about what they just saw here in the mountain. They mustn’t tell anyone about this as gary and his team presence in the mountain really are a top secret mission, one that they can’t let out in the open. Both gary and yonghwa then walk to where all the others are. They talk about their plan along the way, of how to handle the situation.

 

Back in the group…

 

“Noona, are you okay?” kwangsoo ask jihyo while rubbing her arm, trying to make sure she’s okay. They are sitting on the ground together while being looked upon by those soldier with weapon. They felt a little relief now since they were told they’re not in danger and to know the leader of the group is gary, they know that they’re actually in safe hands.  Kwangsoo knows how shock must jihyo have been, to suddenly meet her long lost boyfriend again like that, and to see him walk away leaving her like that. Jihyo nods to her dongsaeng, telling him she was okay, even if she’s really shock, and really sad. “I just can’t believe he just walk away. I mean, isn’t he happy to see me again?” jihyo ask kwangsoo in her mumbling voice, disappointed by gary’s action earlier. She always thought that when they finally meet each other again, they would be excited, they would be running into each other’s embrace, holding each other tight to make up for all those long lost being apart from each other. But turn out life isn’t such a fairy tale after all. She can’t believe the first thing he did when he saw her was walk away, like he doesn’t want to see her anymore. “hey, don’t think like that. I’m sure he’s happy to see you. You know he really love you right, knowing the reason he left. You know how important you are to him. It’s just, I think he’s shock. I think he never expect to see you again. Just be patient okay?” kwangsoo said to jihyo trying to comfort her. He knows how much gary love his noona, and he believe in him. All this while, jongkook just sit there quietly beside jihyo and kwangsoo. He didn’t even say a word. He doesn’t know how to feel at this point. Part of him is happy to his brother again and yet, some part of him really worried, mostly worry about jihyo though. He doesn’t want to lose her again, not when he finally decides to won her heart. “hyung, kwenchana?” kwangsoo ask on jongkook as he notice his hyung is awfully quiet, like something is bothering his mind. “owh kwangsoo-ah, kwenchana, I’m fine…” kwangsoo voice suddenly wake him up from his thought. “are you sure hyung? You seem a little off” kwangsoo ask again wanting to make sure jongkook is fine. “I’m fine. Don’t worry. I’m just shock that’s all. Are you okay jihyo?” jongkook said while holding jihyo’s hand tight, wanting to make sure she’s there with him. Jihyo just smile to him, telling him she’s okay.

 

After a while of waiting, gary come back, with yonghwa along his side. Jihyo just look at him from where she seats as gary address the group. She can see how gary actually trying to avoid any eye contact with her, trying to not look at her. She can see how he will try to look at anywhere else but her, and it break jihyo’s heart to see him act like that. She suddenly feels like gary’s displease to her again and it make her heart crushed into pieces. She feels like tearing. After not seeing each other for so long, she would never expect to receive such cold treatment from him. She feels desperate. She wants to go to him, talk to him but the only thing he’s been doing is avoiding her and it broke her heart to see him act like that. After a while, gary begin to speak to them “I’m sorry what happen earlier, but I assure you, we mean no harm. We’re actually from the military and we’re currently on a mission” gary said while showing the South Korean flag from his outfit, telling them that they can trust him and his team. After making sure all of them are calm, he then continues to speak to group again “I’m sorry to disturb you’re trip, but there is something we need you guys to do for us. We need to debrief all of you about this situation in our base and we need helicopter go there. The problem is, military helicopter can’t fly here since we’re too close to the border now. So we need to walk about few miles from here until we reach a suitable place for the helicopter to land and pick us up. I’m really sorry for the inconvenient though”. Gary look at the group as he speaks, trying to reading on how they would react toward his word.  

 

After making sure everybody is ready, gary and his team begin their journey to the group to the extraction point. At first, some of them are really reluctant and feels like it’s some kind of burden or waste of time. They want to enjoy their trip and just walk away from all of this. But after a long convincing, everybody finally agrees to just follow along. All this while, Gary still hasn’t made any approach to jihyo though. He keeps his distance from her, continue to avoid her. He really wants to see and talk to her but he doesn’t know what to say. After so long of not seeing her, he doesn’t know if he can talk to her again, like before. He doesn’t know how to act in front of her anymore. So he just remains quiet by himself, keeping himself distance from her, even it’s killing him inside. Along the long walk, gary secretly try to steal few glance at jihyo, wanting to make sure she’s okay. Even if he doesn’t say any word to her, he still loves her, of course he does, he always has. It just, he doesn’t know how to react at this point. So he keeps on following her from far, making sure she’s okay from far. Gary can see how jihyo struggle trying to carry her heavy backpack on her back while kwangsoo and jongkook keep trying to help her get through the long walk. He can see how she almost stumble a few times along the way and desperately try to get hold on jongkook and kwangsoo for balance. He feels sorry to see her like that. He always swears to protect her and kill him to see her struggle like that. After seeing her stumble few more time, gary can’t take it anymore. He went straight to her. Without any word, he takes off the heavy backback from jihyo’s back and put it on him. Jihyo’s shock by gary’s sudden action. She looks at him with her signature mong look, not believing what just happen, gary just come to her. Jongkook and kwangsoo too shock by his cation. “stay close to me and follow my step” gary said to jihyo while bringing her hand to hold on his camouflage outfit, asking her to hold on it tight as a guide along the walk. He then keeps on walking while slowly guiding her. With gary’s help, jihyo can walk through the woods and bushes much better now without stumbling herself anymore. She can’t help herself from smiling. She knows now, even if he doesn’t say anything, gary still care for her “he is the same kanggary after all” jihyo thought to herself as she keeps on following gary’s step carefully. She feels so safe and happy having him by her side, something she hadn’t feels in a long time. Little that jihyo know, gary too smile like her, happy to has her by his side. They didn’t say a word to each other, yet their heart feels warm with each other company.

 

As jihyo keep on following gary taking her step carefully, suddenly they come to a stop. A lady in the military outfit approach them. Jihyo can see how young she is, maybe around eighteen-year-old. She’s kinda shock to see that kind of young girl in the military. “what is it Seolhyun?” gary ask the young soldier, while jihyo just look at them quietly with her mong look. “lieutenant yonghwa want to see sir” the female soldier reply to gary. Gary glances at his watch before nods to Seolhyun. “stay here for a while. I need to check on something” gary said to jihyo while gesturing her to go joint jongkook and kwangsoo. Jihyo just nods to his words, even if she really doesn’t want to. She wants to stay with him. Nevertheless, he follows gary’s instruction. She walks herself to join kwangsoo and jongkook to take a short rest. “Do you need some drink?” jongkook and kwangsoo ask jihyo in concern, wanting to make sure she is okay. Jihyo just shook her head telling them she’s fine. Little that anyone know, she’s actually enjoying this, happy to be with her boyfriend again, even if the long walk is really tiring. After a short break, gary address the group again “I’m sorry for the inconvenient, but since it’s almost dark, we’re gonna have to camp here tonight since it’s dangerous if we keep on walking in the dark” almost everybody protests to gary’s words. Some of them even insults at the soldier, showing their protest. Seeing how their friends react, Jongkook and kwangsoo step up, trying their best to help gary to talk to them, making them understand. After a while of convincing, they reluctantly agree. Gary thanks to jongkook and kwangsoo for their help. All this while, jihyo’s fine though. She doesn’t mine to spend the night here, in the middle of the jungle, as long as she has gary by her side. She can’t help herself from feeling happy to see gary again. As she’s sitting by herself looking at gary handling the situation, she suddenly realizes her backpack is still with gary. She can help but smile as she saw gary trying his best to handle the situation.

 

That night, in the middle of the jungle, jihyo was hoping that gary would join her, sitting together with jongkook and kwangsoo. To her disappointment, he didn’t. He is off to somewhere else. Jihyo keep on waiting for him to come, but he didn’t. Jihyo rest her back against a big tree as she notices kwangsoo and jongkook already fall asleep. She didn’t though. She’s still waiting for gary. Unable to contain her feeling anymore, she tries to look for gary. She come across one of the soldier and greet him “lieutenant yonghwa right?” jihyo the man while trying to greet him. “ah…neh…is there something wrong? Do you need any help?” yonghwa reply the beautiful woman greet and smile at her. “I’m sorry to disturb you, but can I meet kanggary for a while?” jihyo try to ask carefully to him hoping that he would agree to allow her to meet his superior. To her luck, he agrees. Yonghwa brings jihyo to gary where about. As she about to reach him, she saw gary is focusing, studying the map in his hand. She calls on him hoping to get his attention “oppa…”. It works. Gary shift his attention and look at the beautiful woman that greets him. “oh jihyo-ah. what are you doing here?” gary greet her in shock, not expecting she would come and find him. He folds the map he had earlier and place it inside his pocket. “nothing oppa. I just want to see you. Can I join you oppa?”. Gary can help himself from smiling at her. It’s been a while he hears calling him that. He gestures jihyo to have a seat beside him. They sit resting their back against a big tree together, with nothing else to say. Being part from each other for long really put them in awkward position. “are you hungry?” gary suddenly ask jihyo wanting to break the awkward silence. Jihyo shook her head but her grumbling stomach beg the differ though. Gary chuckle at her. She is indeed her cute mongji. He takes out one of ration food from his bag and open it for jihyo. “try this. It may not taste good, but I think this will do though”. Jihyo smile at his action. He is indeed kanggary, still taking care of her. Jihyo receive the ration gary just handed to her “kumawo oppa”. They then eat together under the big tree while looking at the night sky together.

 

They sat there in silent when jihyo suddenly spoke up to him “how are doing oppa?” gary froze at her question. Of course he knows how miserable he is without her. But how can he tell her that. Of course he can’t. He must keep himself strong for both their sake. So he just lie to her “I’m doing fine. They’re treating me well” gary try to answer her while trying to act as natural as he can be. But jihyo know him the better though. She knows that’s a lie, but she decides to let it slide away, not wanting to catch on his lie. “I miss you oppa…I really miss you” jihyo suddenly said to him. Gary’s heart broke into pieces upon hearing that. Of course he miss her too. But he isn’t gonna say it to her, knowing it will weaken his heart. He reaches for jihyo’s hand, to comfort her “jihyo-ah…”. Before he can even finish his sentence, jihyo cut him off. “I know you said I must be happy, that I should go on with my life…but how can I oppa, when my life is you…” gary loss of word as jihyo pour her heart out. And with the sudden revelation, jihyo begin to sobs. She can’t hold it anymore. She’s been keeping it all in her chest for so long and it’s too painful for her to bear it anymore. Gary knows how much jihyo must be hurting, to hold everything inside her chest for so long. He feels the same way too. He decides to let her pour her heart out in between her sobs “you said the only reason you leave is to protect me oppa, to keep me safe, but why do I feel like I’m safest when I’m with you oppa. why do I feel like I’m safest here, in the middle of the jungle, with you oppa…” gary doesn’t know what else to say. If he’s given choice, of course he’s going back to her. But he doesn’t have a choice. It’s not that simple. And all of this is for her safety. He didn’t know how to answer her. He bring himself to hug her, to calm her down. “oppa…” jihyo call on gary again between her sobs. “yes…?” gary wait for her to continue. “can you come back to me?” with that question from her, gary can’t help himself from tearing anymore. He feels his heart crush into pieces. He feels suffocate with all the burden he had to bear all this while. He can feel tears flowing from his eyes, and no matter how hard he try to stop it, it won’t. Jihyo bring her hands to wipe gary’s tear as she saw him sobbing. She knows how much her boyfriend is hurting. And kill her to see him like that. She brings his eyes to look at he, to let their eyes meet. Unable to hold herself anymore, jihyo bring herself closer to him. “I love you kanggary” jihyo whisper to him lovingly and seal their lips together. They lock on each other’s lip hard and desperately, wanting more of the kiss. They devour on each other lips hard, for missing each other like crazy. They don’t know how long they have been kissing but know they didn’t want to let each other go. Both of them savour every part of the kiss making up for all the time they’ve been apart from each other. They kiss and kiss through the night as everyone else is deep in their slumber.

 

To be continue…

 

 

Hi guys. Sorry for the very very late update. I’ve been too busy with everything going on with my life and exams. Hope you guys can understand though. Anyway, hope you enjoy this chapter. Till next chapter then…