chapter 20

Love & Valor

Somewhere outside of Seoul

 

Seolhyun look out through the bus window. She only see green in the surrounding. The road is surrounded by thick forest. From the city of Seoul, the long bus trip now reaching deep into a forest, far away from Seoul. Seolhyun sighs to herself, knowing for fact her life is going to change forever from now. It will no longer be the same. She can’t really remember the reason why she enlisted, but in her heart she knows it’s the right thing to do. She wants to serve her country. “how far are we going?” seolhyun sigh to herself as the long ride start to drain her energy. She’s tired of sitting on the bus for long hours. She glances to the person beside her. She can see Hyoyeon is still sleeping, while her body hugging her bag tightly. Seolhyun chuckle at the sight. She’s been sleeping for too long now, ever since the bus left Seoul. Seolhyun chuckle at the sight. She than look at the others. There are all sleeping too. She can see there are only eight females on the bus, the rest of them are male. Seolhyun didn’t know any of them, even Hyoyeon. She had never meet them before, including Hyoyeon. They just introduced themselves to each other when they board the bus, as they are sitting next to each other. Seolhyun and the rest only meet each other when they arrived at the pick-up site, in Seoul. After the short waiting, a dark green bus arrived at the location, ready to bring them to where ever they are meant to be. Without any greeting or introduction, a man in military outfit told them to board the bus. Seolhyun still remember, the man has a stern voice, with no smile apparent on his face. He just glare at the new recruits with his sharp eyes. He didn’t even bother introduce himself to them. But from the look of his outfit, with three stripes on his sleeves, Seolhyun can take a guess, he might be a sergeant. They don’t know where are they going, but they all know they will be heading to a training camp.

 

After the long hours ride, suddenly the bus came to a stops. Seolhyun try to look at the outside, to know where they are. She can see an out-post, guarded by a soldier, fully loaded with weapon. Seolhyun know they just arrive at the training camp. She wakes Hyoyeon up, who is still enjoying her deep slumber. “huh...what?” Hyoyeon asks in her groggy voice as she feels a light tap on her shoulder. She is still disoriented from her long nap. “we’re here” Seolhyun simply stated, getting Hyoyeon attention to fully wakes her up. Both of them lookout through the window. They’re amaze with what the saw. The camp is huge. Clearly it is not just like other military camp. They know this camp is the base for some kind of special unit in the military. From inside of the bus, they can see some military personnel walk and jog around the camp. But other than that, the camp is quiet. “GET OUT OF THE BUS NOW!!!…YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO EMPTY THIS BUS. 10, 9, 8…” the sergeant from earlier suddenly shout at them, rushing them to get off the bus immediately. All the recruits jump from their seat, hurrying themselves to get off the bus as fast as they can, while struggling to carry their belonging along. They struggle to rush themselves while been yelled by the sergeant.

 

Gary’s quarter

 

Gary look out the window, looking at the fields. He can see bunch of the new recruits just arrive. He can see how they struggle to follow the instruction given to them. He can see how they got yelled at for every mistake they made. Some of them even got smacked in the head by the commanding officer. Gary sigh at the view. He personally hates such kind of treatment. But he knows it is necessary for them, to make them stronger, so they could survive when being in the field, where the actual thing happen. Gary’s mind then drifts into his own memory. He remembers when he first joins the military. He was still 18 at that time, still so young and clueless about his life and future. But unable to continue his study, due to financial difficulty, he decided to enlist, to join the military. He decided he should do something that can make him proud of himself. He wanted to push himself into the limit, to see how far he can go, see how strong he is. He still remembers how he hate the training so much. He hated the yelling, the running and the torture he had gone through. He remember being kicked by the instructor for slacking off, he remember being told to sleep in the snow shirtless. It was to damn cold, but he endure it. But soon, all the torture and the training become part of his daily life. It makes him stronger, help him to survive all the mission he had gone through. Gary never thought that the decision he made really changes his life forever. He never thought it will change the funny idiotic KangHeeGun from Jamsil into who he is now, a deadly government weapon, a spy who is holding so many secret. Too many secret that he was expected to die protecting it. For years he thought his life is all dark, thinking that he has nothing to look for except for all those secret. Thinking that there is nothing he can look forward into his life. He thought that being a spy is all he can do, all he can live for. Until the day he meet jihyo, an angel that brighten up his life, that lighten his dark soul. To show him there is more to life than being a spy and missions. He feels like being a human being again, to feel loved by her. He miss her smile, her kiss, her touch. And yet, all those love he has for her really killing him now, for being apart from her. It pains him for not being able to see her anymore. He misses her. He loves her, with all his heart. But he has to go away for her safety. He can’t even remember how many nights had he been drinking himself to sleep, to forget about her. But it just not working. His heart is still filled by their memory, memory of her. The memory that he will cherish forever. Gary sigh to himself as he recalls the past. “I miss you jihyo-ah…I wish I can go back to you now” gary thought to himself as remembers about his beloved jihyo. A sudden knock on the door break his cloud of thought. He walks to the door to see yonghwa already waiting for him. “they already arrive sir, all 35 of them. They are now ready for the briefing sir” yonghwa said to gary after saluting him. Gary just nod his head understanding what yonghwa said.

 

Back to the recruits

 

Seolhyun and the rest of them stand in lines, with their bags and belonging on the ground, at the sides of them. Hyoyeon is at her left and a male recruit on her right. He seems older than her, by few years. After all the yelling and scolding, they are now ready for the briefing. They just stand still quietly, under the hot sun, waiting for the person in charge to brief them. Few minutes later, two man in military outfit walk to them. They can see the two man have higher rank than the sergeant earlier. The two man then greet the sergeant who is in charge of them. Seolhyun can see they’re talking with each other for a while before the higher rank officer greet them.  “good afternoon” the man greets them with a polite voice. “good afternoon sir!!” the recruits reply in unison. Seolhyun can’t help to scan the officer face. His face is kinda funny, quite cute. He looks kinda innocent. But from his outfit though, Seolhyun can guess the man really has lot of experiences. And from the look on his eyes, it seems like he had been through a lot. “Welcome to Cheorwon military base. My name is captain Kanggary. I will be in charge in your training”. All of the recruits pay attention to what he says. “this is lieutenant yonghwa. He will be my second in command and this is sergeant Leejoon.” gary said while pointing toward yonghwa and leejoon. He looks at the young recruits in front of him. They look so young, so clueless. With a stern voice, gary continue to speak “before we start. I want to remind you that this program is design to fail you. We’re going to push you to do the limit. We’re going to make you regret for getting on that bus in the first place.” Gary said while pointing to the bus that bring the recruits earlier. “From all of you here, more than 90% of you will fail and will be kicked out of the program. But maybe if you’re strong enough, physically and mentally, then you will be able to wear the same outfit like us, walk like us, be like us, protecting this country from its foreign and domestic enemy. One thing you should remember, I don’t care who you are, where you come from. My only concern is one, is that whoever I choose to pass will never bring harm or danger to your future team, because when you work, your team is the only thing you have, to protect you, to keep you alive. If I ever feel that you’re unable to protect your team, or bring harm to them, I will never hesitate to fail you and kick you out of the program” gary pause himself as he looks at the recruits in front of him, showing them that he is serious. Seolhyun and the rest of them gulp their saliva upon hearing the briefing. Knowing most of them will fail sure bring fear into them. They really want to pass, to be able to work protecting their country. Gary then gives a small nod to leejoon asking him to take over. Gary then walk away accompany by yonghwa as he saw leejoon giving order to the new recruits. He can see how they try to comprehend the order given by leejoon.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

­

Seoul

 

“gil oppa?” jihyo greet the back of the man she just saw. She is at a convenient store, buying a bottle of water, tired after the little jog she had by herself. “oh jihyo-ah. what are you doing here?” gil said greeting her back, as he turns around facing the beautiful lady. He’s quite shock to see her in the neighbourhood. “ah…I just come her for a jog” jihyo said while still painting, tired from all the running. Sweats are covering her forehead and neck as she gasps for air. “what are you doing here oppa?” jihyo ask gil in her between her heavy breath. “I live here remember?” gil answer her shortly. Jihyo frown upon hearing his respond. “of course I know you live here, but what are you doing here, in this store?” jihyo said to him sarcastically. Gil chuckle at her. She is indeed cute. “I’m buying some snacks. That’s all”. Jihyo nods her head hearing his respond. Without anything else to say, Gil start to excuse himself “okay…I’ll get going then. Take care jihyo-ah” gil said as he pays the cashier for his stuffs, prepare to leave. “oppa!!…chakaman!!!…” jihyo call gil slightly shouting to him. “yes?” gil turn around upon being called by her. “do you have time oppa? would you like to have a drink with me?” gil glances at the watch on his left wrist. After a while of thinking, he replies to jihyo agreeing to her “I guess I have some time. What if we go to my place then? it’s not far from here” gil said suggestively. Jihyo agree to him immediately, feeling relieve that gil has time for her. She has something that she wanted to talk to him. They then leave the store and head to Gil’s apartment.

 

Upon reaching the front door, gil invite jihyo into his place. Jihyo follow his gesture tailing him toward the living room. “have a seat jihyo-ah. sorry for the mess. I wasn’t expecting any company” Gil said to jihyo while gesturing her to have a seat on the sofa. He turns on the tv for her to watch while he leaves her alone to make her some coffee. Jihyo scan the house as she lands herself on the sofa. It is indeed messier since the last time she came here. It’s been a while since she came here. Before this, she used to come with gary. Back then, before they’re living together, gary used to live here too, with gil. That’s why they’re close. Being here sure make her miss her boyfriend. Her mind begins to wonder about her beloved boyfriend “how are you oppa? are you eating well? Sleeping well?” jihyo mumble to herself as she thought of her beloved gary. She still can’t forget about him. Of course she can’t, how can she? When she knows the man she loves so much in the world are sacrificing himself for her, for her to be safe, to be happy. Jihyo scans the living room, until her eyes caught something. She sees few luggage on the floor, ready packed. After a while Gil come back from the kitchen, with two cup of coffee in his hands. He hands one of the cup to jihyo, which she gladly accepts “kumawo oppa, are you going somewhere oppa?” jihyo ask him as her eye gesturing toward the luggage. Gil follow her eyes, looking at what she’s talking about. “ah…neh. I will be out of the country for a while. I have things to do” gil answer her shortly. Didn’t want to tell her more. But jihyo can take a guess “for a mission?” she asks him again, carefully. Gil nod to her question. He know jihyo want to know more, but he really can’t tell her “I’m sorry. I cannot tell you in detail. It’s classified” gil said to her, feeling guilty for keeping secret to here. “it’s okay oppa. I understand” jihyo said while sipping her coffee. Gil too, take a sip from his drink. Awkward silent feels the room.

 

After long silent, jihyo begin to speak up again “back then, when gary oppa said he had to go for outstation, is it mean that he went for missions too?” Gil look at her with his mong face. He doesn’t know how to reply to her. If he says yes, it would mean gary has been lying to her back then. If no, it would be a lie too. Jihyo just give him a weak smile as she can guess what in Gil’s mind “it’s okay oppa. I know all of this is classified, top secret. I know I’m not supposed to ask” gil can see disappointment in her eyes. He feels guilty at her. “it just, I miss him oppa. And he left before I can even understand what he do for a leaving. He gives me so much and yet I didn’t know what he do” Gil can see jihyo become teary. It breaks his heart to see her like that. He knows how much she’s been missing gary. He too misses his best friend, the friend that will do anything to protect him. Unable to see her like that, gil reach for jihyo’s hand, trying to comfort her. “I’m sorry jihyo-ah. I know you miss him. Trust me, I know” jihyo nod her head as her eyes start to teary. She misses gary so much. Gil rub her back slowly as he looks at her, trying to comfort her “I cannot tell you exactly he do jihyo-ah. But I can tell you that his protecting this country. And yes every time he said he had to went for outstation, that mean he had a mission. But trust me, he’s not lying because he wanted to hurt you, but he wanted to protect you jihyo-ah” jihyo nods upon hearing Gil’s word. “and…” gil hesitate for a while before he continues to speak. Jihyo just looks at him, waiting for him to continue. “do you remember when we came to RM Lawfirm for the lawsuit?” jihyo frown upon hearing the question. Of course she remembers it. That’s the moment she meets gary, the love of her life. “actually the case was rigged jihyo-ah. Our actual mission was to hack into the RM Lawfirm system” jihyo eyes open wide hearing him. She’s too shock to hear that from Gil. “why?” jihyo ask nervously, afraid if her company had done something wrong. “aniya jihyo-ah. your company was find. Don’t worry” Gil said trying to calm her. Jihyo feels relieve to her that, but she still feels confuses. Why would the government send agent to hack into their system “but I don’t understand oppa. why would you and gary oppa wanted to hack us”. Gil give her a small smile, trying to assure her everything is okay, that the company didn’t do anything wrong. “actually, one of your client was a weapon’s dealer. He’s been selling weapon to bad guys, you know, people who want to bring harm to this country. So our job is to find clue about him and his company. He’s been in the dark for a long time. Until his name appear in RM Lawfirm” jihyo nod understanding to Gil explanation. But she still wants to know more “which client oppa?” Gil chuckle hearing her. She’s too eager to know. “I cannot tell you that. That’s too classified. But don’t worry. The case is solved. He’s behind bar now” She can’t help to feel amaze at Gil and Gary. She begins to understand a little what her boyfriend did for a leaving. She wants to ask more, but Gil cut her off “but for gary, it was more than a mission. He found you jihyo-ah. He never expected to fall in love to anyone. But he did. He falls for you. He really loves you jihyo-ah”. jihyo smile upon hearing Gil’s word. Then another question resurfaces to her mind. “umm oppa…can I ask you one more question?” Gil nod to her. “do you think gary oppa will ever come back” gil pause hearing the question. He gulp his saliva upon hearing the question. “I don’t know jihyo-ah?” gil bends his head looking down while answering her. He really doesn’t know how to reply her. He really wants to answer but he doesn’t want to give her any false hope. Jihyo want to hear another answer. She can’t accept that kind of answer from him. She try to ask again “usually when people leave like gary oppa, they will come back right?” gil sigh at her persistent. He really doesn’t have an answer she was looking for. “I’m sorry jihyo-ah. I really don’t know. To be honest with you, I had never heard any of them coming back”. Jihyo heart drop upon hearing that. It really crush her into pieces. She cannot accept that she would never able to meet gary again. All this while, she’s been hoping to see him again. That’s her strength, believing that her beloved boyfriend will come back for her again, hoping that they will be with each other, being happy again. Tears start to fall from her eyes as she feels pain in her heart. Gil curse himself for making her cry like that. He too hope gary will come back. But he really doesn’t want to give her false hope. He can’t have her waiting for gary like that. Even he himself don’t know if his dearest friend going to come back. “I’m sorry jihyo-ah. But I made a promised to gary, to protect you, to keep you safe, to make sure you’re happy. But it will keep going to hurt jihyo-ah, if you’re keep going like this. Maybe gary will come back, maybe he won’t. We don’t know that. But we must continue with our life jihyo-ah. You must move on. Gary want you to move on. He wants you to be happy” Gil rub jihyo’s back as he tries to explain to her, to comfort her. But it just makes her sobs even harder. It’s pain her so much that she has to forget about gary. She doesn’t want to. She wants to wait for him. But all people she knows had been telling her to move on, to forget about him. She begins to wonder in her mind if it’s the right thing to do. But how could she, when her minds are only thinking about him, wanting to wait for him. “please oppa…what should I do?” jihyo thought to herself of what should she do while Gil still trying to comfort her, stopping her from crying…

 

 

To be continue…

 

 

Sorry guys for the late update…I’ve been very busy…got exam last week…and I was rethinking about the plot of the story…hope you enjoy this chapter too even it’s not much…