Her Life

The Debt
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oh! Look who's back! My baby girl is backkkk!" 

 

She opened the door of the dank and dingy house, a strong pang of alcohol scent hitting her. It was all too common by now; she had even gave up sighing. She removed her pumps and began picking up abandoned bottles on the carpeted floor while the gutteral laughters rang. 

 

"It's late. You should head to bed." 

 

She put all the bottles neatly on the coffee table and came face to face with her father. No hatred, no disappointment, nothing. Just emotionless. had gone sore and tired from nagging and shouting, her tear glands by now had dried up and have no more tears left for her to weep. Despite being a mere 42-kilogram, she could help her father, who was twice the size, up. Her father continued to mumble incoherently, struggling out of her grip but she kept firm. 

 

" YOU! THE WORLD! I SAID I WANT TO CONTINUE DRINKING! WHY ARE YOU GOING AGAINST ME TOO?! WHY IS THE WHOLE WORLD GOING AGAINST ME!"

 

She threw him tiredly on the bed and was about to put the blanket over him but he woke up all of a sudden, cursing and swearing and gave a hard shove, causing her to lose her balance and fell to the ground. She took in a gulp of cold air, trying to bear the searing pain on her wrists. As though satisfied with his doings, he laid back down on the bed again, mumbling to himself, cursing about how unfair the whole world is. She sat on the floor for a few moments, in an attempt for the pain to subside and for the commotion to die down. The curses soon became soft mutterings and eventually, only loud snoring sound resonanted the room. She helped herself up, dusted her knees and bent forward, covering the blanket over him. 

 

"Goodnight dad..." 

 

A daily routine. 

 

∞∞∞∞∞

 

"I've to rush to work now! I'll see you girls tomorrow!" 

 

"Yah! Heading for work again?! Are you made of iron?!"

 

"Gotta earn a living! You know it~ See ya!" 

 

Friends around her didn't know how she could make it. Despite the amount of part-time jobs she's taking up, 5 to be exact, she could still secure her first-class honours in the medical school. Friends knew her plight. It's tough but they knew she's tougher. This situation had been ongoing for a couple of months, going to a year already. If she wasn't a fighter, she would have long run away from home, away from this mess. 

 

"This is your pay. Thank you for your hard work!" 

 

"Thank you so much!" 

 

Even if it's a couple of hundreds paycheck, she would smile so widely as though she had won a couple of millions. It's alrights, she had told herself. One day, there'll be a day that she would be able to pay off the debt. When she graduates from the medical school and become a certified doctor, she would be able to pay off the debt and say goodbye to this dark life. At least those hooligans were not chasing after her for payment wasn't it? That was already something to be thankful about. 

 

To be fair, unlike other more unfortunate people out there, she counted hersel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter