Chapter 24

Almost Heaven

Now, Pete has to face another tense confrontation. After being left alone, only then Earn stepped forward slowly to the bedside. He sat on the bedside and touch the wound on Pete’s head lightly. “Does it hurts?”


Pete tried not to flinch at the way Earn is intruding on his personal space. He is not used to his caring side.


Earn asked with concern, “Are you feeling better? Why did you do that? Do you know that you could have died?”


Pete was surprised at the rapid questions that were shot by Earn.


He chuckled trying to lighten up the tense atmosphere while answering, “Don’t worry. I have a long life. I won’t die that easily.”


Earn was angered by Pete’s nonchalant attitude. “So, what? Now you think you fearless and are invisible, is it?”


He continued; “Do you know how worried and scared I was of your life? Watching you used your body to shield me and I couldn’t do anything.”


The man comment frustratedly, “How hopeless I felt when I saw you bled and lying there motionlessly.”


Earn sighed regretfully at the end of his outburst, “If only, I could trade in your place.”

 

Pete avoided Earn’s stare and replied softly, “But for me, it is more upsetting when I think that you might get injured...”


Earned blew his top; “Can you please don’t be so foolish! This incident almost took your life.”


That last emotional outburst from Earn left both of them speechless. This is the longest conversation that they had within these few weeks.


Earned asked worriedly after been reminded of the scene he saw earlier, “By the way, how did you get that scar? What actually happened? Are you sick or something?”


Earn was shocked when he saw the size of the scar on Pete's abdomen. He thought that something bad must have happened to Pete for him to undergone surgery recently. What happened to Pete actually?

 

Pete lazily stated; “That shouldn’t be your question at the moment.” We sat there in dead silence.

 

Pete looked into Earn’s eyes searching for something. “Do you really want to know? I thought that you don’t care for me anymore...You are basically repulsed to see me again.”


Earned looked exasperatedly towards Pete, “You don’t expect for me to welcome you with opened arms, right?”

 

Pete kept silent at the hurtful question. He knew that whatever kind of answer he gave, he could not remedy things and turn back the time to five years ago.

 

What are going to happen with us? Is there still any hope for reconciliation for us?

 

The silence was broken by the sound of footsteps in the hallway.

 

Their moment was interrupted by Push intrusion. “Is everything, okay?”

 

Hearing the loud voice from the room, led Push to walk in and check out the two boy’s situation.

 

Do you still want to continue your talk?” Push asked guiltily for his intrusion.

 

Push eyed uncomfortably at Pete and Earn closeness. His heart felt unsettle seeing them together.


Decided to shoo away the other guy, Push cleared his throat and trying to send hint to Earn to keep his distance from Pete.


Earn however ignored at the obvious signal and gave a thin smile, “It’s okay, P’. We’re done talking.”


However, Earn smirked slightly and does not make any effort to move from his current position.


Instead, he took Pete's hand and hold into it using both his hands. Earn gazed into Pete's eyes and reprimanded the man sternly, “No matter what happens in the future, you can’t act that impulsive. You have to stay safe, do you hear me? Do you hear me?”


Pete can only nodded obediently as this is the first time he seen this stern side of Earn.

 

Push glared with hostility at the oblivious guy and gritted his teeth in annoyance at this brat action. It took all his effort to hold into his temper as he is considering the patient's well-being.


Pete is really hopeless at the current situation and can only smiled awkwardly as he sensed the tense atmosphere.

 

Earn probed, “I heard your conversation with the doctor just now. You are planning to move Pete to another hospital in Bangkok, is it?”


Yes, first thing tomorrow morning after I settle his discharge process.” Push answered with hint of annoyance.