Chapter 20

Almost Heaven

Pete looked confused and puzzled by the girl approach. He was wondering what she wants from him.


 

Pete however, remembered his manners and returned the greeting. “Hello, Nong. I'm Pete. What can I do for you?”


 

I'm interested in you. I think you seems nice and good-looking, P'.”

 

If you don't mind, may I have your number?” She boldly asked.

 

Pete was caught off guard by her question and scratched his head shyly.

 

Sorry, Nong. I already have someone that I'm interested in.” Pete politely answered.

 

Hannah looked disappointed and looked down on the floor.

 

After a moment, she is determined and stared straight into Pete's eyes and said, “ Since technically, P' Pete, you are still consider as single... Do you want to try going out with me?”

 

Pete knew that it took a lot of courage for the girl to make this approach.

 

Pete gently smiled and advised Hannah; “If you like someone, you should bravely pursue him. Thank you for taking interest in me, Nong Hannah. But I don't think that it would work out for us.”

 

He continued to console Hannah; “I'm flattered such a pretty girl like you is interested in me. I'm certain that a lot of guys are chasing after you, right?”

 

Hannah looked downcast to the floor and raised her vision to the corner of the bar.

 

A handsome boy with a bad-boy vibe is sitting on the stool at the counter having his drink accompanied by another girl. From afar, they could see that he was busy flirting with his hands all over his companion.

 

Sensing the stare on his back, the boy suddenly turned to Hannah and their gaze met. She immediately looked away and blinked back her b eyes filled with tears.

 

Pete sensed the actual situation, used his right hand to pat on Hannah's shoulder to comfort the dejected girl.

 

I think that is the boy that you actually like, right?” He continued; “You are doing this to catch his attention and trying to make him jealous, right?”

 

Hannah was dumbfounded at Pete's guessing and inquired; “How do you guess right, P' Pete?”

 

Pete jokingly answered; “Did I forget to tell you that I'm a psychic. I could read people’s mind.”

 

Hannah smiled a little at Pete's joke and used the back of her hand to wipe away her tears.

 

Her make-up was messed up due to her careless action.

 

Pete noticed that the girl's make-up was smudged and took out his handkerchief and helped her to dry her tears.

 

Suddenly, his hand that was used to dry her tears was slapped away with a brutal force.

 

The boy that they were discussing about was inches away from Pete's face and was fiercely grabbing his collar.

 

The boy roared while swinging his knuckles to Pete's jaw; “What did you do to Hannah? Why is she crying?”

 

Pete was knocked down by the blow and sprawled on the floor. He hit his head on the floor hard and currently confused with the situation. It did not help that his lips burst opened and bleeding along with the bruised jaw.

 

Before he can comprehended the situation, Earn stepped in and tried to shield Pete from the boy's incoming assault.

 

The situation turned ugly, when someone shouted 'Bar Fight' excitedly. Some of the audiences chanted enthusiastically ; “Fight! Fight! Fight!”

 

The boy's gang get involved into the fight and they started throwing around punches and kicks.

 

It seems the boy get more aggravated by the provocation he received from the audiences and pushed away Hannah who tries to hold onto him to stop the fight. They exchanged blows.

 

In his dizziness, Pete tried to get up from the floor.

 

Everything went like a blur for Pete, the last thing he remembered that he sensed the danger when the boy suddenly grabbed a beer bottle and was about to swing it towards Earn's direction.

 

He jumped into the fight and hugged Earn closed to him in anxiety for the man's safety and turned their body around so that he will take the blow for Earn.

 

In a split second, he felt that his head banged into a hard object.

 

Afterward, he felt painful pulses in his head; like his head is splitting apart.

 

Pete slowly used his hand to check the wound and he can feel the blood is slowly dripping down his face and covered his right palm.

 

Time seemed to slowdown for Pete. He heard Earn shouting his name in agony before everything turned black. "Pete!!!"