Chapter Twenty Eight

The Roommate

            The semester had started and by the looks of it, this semester would be considerably easier than the last. You had all art classes this semester, finishing off the last of your general education requirements last semester. So far the schedule consisted of two painting classes, one drawing class, one design history class and a ceramic course.

            Woozi was constantly complaining about his classes. “What is even ‘critical listening’?” He ranted every night as he sat at his desk, grasping the edge of his mini piano with what could only be described as the grip of death. “It’s in the morning, half of the class just sleeps, and attendance isn’t even mandatory. I don’t even know know why I go.” You listened to his droning complaints, nodding and adding in the occasional “interesting” to let him know you were paying attention, but honestly sometimes he got so heated you couldn’t understand his words. Somewhere along in the rant way his sentences turned into grunts.

            But no matter how much Woozi complained, you thought that  DK had it the worst. He was a double major in education and advertising, and even though he wasn’t spending countless hours hunched over his computer like Woozi (you were sure that kid had some kind of back problems) it was just as hard. As far as class requirements went, if he continued with the double major at this pace, he would graduate after six years of college. Everyone was telling him to just drop one of his majors and turn it into his minor, and he agreed. But the choosing between the two was the source of his stress, it was only two weeks into school and gummy smile had already had a breakdown four times.

            You had never seen these breakdowns in person, but you could tell the aftermath when Hoshi and DK are watching anime on the television, curtains drawn to shield DK from it’s harsh judgment as he shoved his mouth with food from the containers that Hoshi had filled when he snuck them into the buffet. In the aftermath, DK was always smiling, because he didn’t want other people to see his state, or he was easily distractible from his responsibilities. Either way, you felt you could relate.

            It was a brisk Wednesday, and you were walking back from class. Woozi opened the front door of the apartment and sat down, wide-legged on the steps. He pulled out a box and a lighter. You hissed to yourself as you walked nearer; Woozi unaware of your impending disapproval.  He put one stick in his mouth and brought the lighter to the end. He stopped and dropped the hand clutching the lighter. He held the lighter out in front of him, his eyes moving over the clouded plastic. He hung his head and stood up, throwing the cold cigarette on the ground and crushing it beneath his boot.

            Woozi turned to go inside but stood still again. He turned to his fingers, curling around the cigarette box. He ruffled his hands through his hair, pulling at the end of his ponytail, and chucked the cigarette box in the trash.

            You followed his trail as he stormed inside, your lips pulling up as you went up the stairs.

            In the apartment, Woozi was perched at his desk, already setting up his music equipment for a hard day of work. “Hey.” Woozi greeted you with a grunt.

            “Hey.” You said back, sitting at your desk and sliding off your coat. “ I saw your little thing outside.”

            “What thing?” Woozi said, his back to you, adjusting a microphone.

            “You threw away your cigarettes.”

            “You’re surprised?” Woozi droned. “I told you I would quit for a week.”

            “I didn’t think you were serious.” You pulled out some books from your backpack. “I didn’t think you were serious about that entire conversation.”

            Woozi turned his head slightly, his cheeks pulled up. “You always think that. But if you want to bother someone, go try to dig DK out of whatever depression he is in. I have to work.” He pulled his chair behind him and sat down. Pulling his earphones over his head.

            It was less than a half and hour until, with a thud, Woozi was face down on his computer, completely knocked out. That kid needs to really get some sleep.

            There was a knock on the door, you stood up and passed through the living room. You peeped through the door’s glass eye. There were three guys, the one in the middle had black hair and small, rounded eyes. He had lollypop stick hanging out of his mouth, his hands shoved leisurely into the pockets of his black jeans.

            The man in the middle moved forward, looking straight into the peephole of the door. He grinned slightly, dimples flashing. “Hello.”

             “Hello? Who are you?” You opened the door slightly, enough to poke your head out. The men in the back were shorter, but still taller than you. The one with the lollypop towered over even them, you were sure that he was taller than Mingyu.

            “Is Jihoon here?” The guy in the front asked, flashing you a dimpled smile.

            “Uh, no. I think you have the wrong room.”

            “I’m sure this is the right place.” He said, taking out his phone and looking at it. “We are in a group project for school. And he isn’t responding to my texts.”

            “There isn’t a Jihoon here.” You muttered as the guy looked at you in an innocent confusion.

You stopped. Wait, could Jihoon be one of the guys? Now that you thought about it, you didn’t know any of the guy’s names. Hoshi, DK, and Woozi were all aliases.

            The guy laughed as your eyes glazed over in thought. “You don’t seem so sure.”

            “No, I was just thinking of something else.” You waved it away. “But really, you might want to ask your friend again. This isn’t the place.”

            “Oh, okay.” He muttered, the lollypop stick bouncing as he spoke. He plucked the stick from his lips and  grinned charismatically. He rested his forearm on the door frame, and leaned in to you. “Maybe I could stop by sometime, though?” He whispered, lips pulled tight in a smirk.

            “I think I could live without it.”

            “I could give you my number.” He raised his eyebrows up at you, his eyes crawling down your front.

            You shuttered and your lips pulled back into sneer. “.” You muttered.

           You grabbed the lollypop, hanging lazily at his fingertips and threw it down. The pink solidified glob of sugar stuck wetly to his fresh, white converse. He looked at his shoes, mouth parted in a soundless gasp. You slammed the door shut, locking it immediately.

            The man groaned behind the slab of wood. “Oh come on. Well, just in case you get curious.” And a sliver of paper was slid under the door. You waited until their footsteps disappeared down the steps before you picked it up; it was his phone number written down. You crumbled it up in your hands and shoved it in your pocket.

            You walked down the hallway and approached the second door. “Hoshi? You in there?”

            “Come in!” A voice answered. The door opened with a creak to reveal Hoshi sitting at his desk, his bangs pulled back by a headband. DK sitting cross-legged on the bed, watching whatever Hoshi was doing on his computer.

            “Can I ask you something.” You started.

            Hoshi whipped his head around to face DK, wide eyed. “Every time a girl says that my hands get all shaky. I didn’t do something wrong did I? I promise that stain isn’t mine.” He said quickly.

            “Can you tell me your names?”

            “Why?”

            “Because some people just came to the door asking for someone and I can’t tell if it is you or not.”

            “Everyone here at the college calls us by our nicknames.” DK said. “I don’t think anyone even knows our real names except for each other.”

            “Tell me just in case.”

            Hoshi’s tense arms dropped at his side, glaring at you. “Soonyoung.” He said shortly. “But don’t call me that.”

            “Soonyoung.” You repeated.

            Hoshi winced, his eyebrows caving in. “Don’t call me that please. It sounds so strange. Only my parents call me that, really.”

            “Seokmin.” DK said, giving you the signature a gummy smile.

            “Oh, its not you then.” You murmured to yourself. “Nevermind.”

            “Per chance.” Hoshi said as you turned around. “Are you asking because Woozi has talked to you already?”

            You narrowed your eyes down on him. “Talked to me about what?”

            “Nothing.” Hoshi said quickly. “Just wondering… and apparently not.”

            “What was he going to talk to me about?”
            “Ask him.” DK said. “Do you want to watch this anime with us?” He said, his eyes crinkling in another bold smile.

            “No, I think I’ll pass.” You said and you closed the door behind you.

            You went back in your room, Woozi still facedown on his keyboard, one hand limply holding on to the microphone. “Woozi.” You tapped him. “Woozi.”

            Woozi grumbled, his nose nuzzling the computer keys. “I’m working, go away.”

            You considered saying what you assumed was his name, but you rethought it. “Some guys came for you at the door, I think.”

            “You think?” He squinted one annoyed eye up at you.

            “They might have had the wrong door. I don’t know. But the guy left his number if you recognize it.” You pulled the crumbled up paper out of your pocket and set it on his laptop. He flicked it away. “You need to wake up, if you don’t do work now, you’ll have to pull an all-nighter again.” You picked up the piece of paper and put it back on the desk.

            “So?” He closed his eyes again but you clapped your hands close to his face. Woozi jumped at the close noise and then relaxed, mumbling swears under his breath.

            “You become a complete when you don’t get sleep.”

            “If me being an is a new thing, then you need to reevaluate-.” He started.

            You put your hands on both of his shoulders and forced them back to his chair, his back straightening up; Woozi groaned and tried to bend back down over his keyboard, but you yanked him back. “You have to wake up. You’ll regret it later.”

            Woozi rubbed his eyes, stretching his limbs. And looked at you through half closed eyes, grinning slightly. “Whatever you say. You nagging old woman.”

            Your hands slid off of his shirt and you remembered that there was a time which Woozi would scream at you in a spitting rage to not touch him.

            “So, what did this guy say he wanted?” Woozi said unfolding the piece of paper.

            “He said it was a group project or something. He actually gave his phone number to me but… what’s wrong?”

            Woozi’s fingers had tensed on tiny piece of paper, ripping as it shook feebly in his strong hands. He stood upright, knocking the chair behind him down. “I’ll be right back.” His fists were clenched at his sides, his eyes glazed over in deep thought.

            “You know him?” You asked. Woozi was slinging his coat on, paying you no head. You sighed and sat back down at your desk as he jotted outside. You were working on your homework for at least an hour before you got a call from Joshua.

            “So, I’m on break now, but can you come by the shop when it closes?” He asked, in a muffled voice that you assumed was full of food.

            “Sure. Why? Is something going on?”

            “I have to pay you back for that pop at the amusement ride.”

            “Josh, it was just a pop. You don’t need to stress.”
            “Please, just come by.”

            “No. Not if you are just going to shove money in my hands, then I’m not.”

            “What if I told you that I just wanted to see you?”

            You grinned. “I would say that I knew it and you are absolutely horrific at making excuses.” Joshua’s laugh crackled over the side of the phone. “Need to vent?”

            “Absolutely.” Joshua groaned. “I normally don’t complain but today, man I need it. Besides I haven’t seen you since the trip, with work and everything.”

            “It feels like it has been months hasn’t it?”

            “Years!” Joshua exclaimed. “I have some tea in the back stored up. You could help me close the shop and I can send Jeonghan home.”

            “You have to power to send your manager home?”

            “Okay, I can ask. But I’m sure he wouldn’t object to going home early. He is the ‘everyman fend for himself’ type of guy.”

            “I’ll see you tonight then.” You said as you ended the call.

            “Who was that?” A voice asked. Woozi was back, looking slightly red in the face from the cold outside.

            “Joshua,” You said simply.

            “Did you exchange numbers with that guy who came around earlier today?” Woozi asked.

            “No he just gave me that number. Did you meet with him?”

            “Yea.” Woozi said, sitting down. “I forgot about a meeting for a group project, I was late.”

            So that is his name, you thought.  “It’s a good thing you didn’t miss it.”

            “I suppose.” He shrugged.

            “By the way is there something you wanted to talk to me about?”

            “What the is that supposed to mean?” Woozi hissed looking at you in disgust. “Just be blunt about it, I have no time to beat around the bush.”

            “I don’t know what bush to beat around. Hoshi just told me you were going to talk to me about something.”

            “In regards to what?”

            “I don’t know?”

            “What did you say to get him to say that?”

            “I just asked him what his real name was.” You said plainly.

            “What would cause him to say-“ Woozi stopped, and groaned. “Oh, yea. I forgot. Our transcripts are under our-” Woozi pressed the pad of his fingers to his eyes. “I mean, I was going to wait a while, but-“

            “Why so hesitant?” You said, leaning forward in your chair, smirking. “Is it bad? Oh, do tell.”

            Woozi glared at you. “It was just that housing has opened up for next year and we all talked about it, and we were going to ask if you wanted to room with us again. I mean, its purely logical. You were the first person not to get my arrogant reported to the housing department.”

            “You guys want me to live you with again next year?” You looked at him, one eyebrow raised.

            “I mean that is if you aren’t going to run away again.” Woozi joked, a smirk dancing on his lips. “And we were going to live off campus next year anyway to save some money. There are a few houses up for rent that we could take up. It’s quite cheap monthly rent for its size.”

            “How many bedrooms?” You asked strictly.

            “Four.” Woozi said hesitantly. “But we were talking about it over on the trip, and if we managed to the get the place, Coups, Dino and Joshua were considering moving in. They said it would be cheaper and bigger than the place they were living in now if the rent was split between seven of us.”

            “So seven of us would be living in a house?”

            “The kitchen is really nice and big.” Woozi added quickly. “There are two bathrooms, so you would have to share with one of the guys. But the basement is big and I’ve already been planning to set up a mini studio down there. You could probably set up an art studio down there if you wanted as well. It comes full stock with appliances. There is even a dishwasher. Hell, we don’t even have that here.”

            “And you are okay with me moving in?”

            “I suggested it.” Woozi said plainly. “I couldn’t imagine rooming with any of the other guys, they would just drive me crazy.”

            “And I wouldn’t?”

             “Don’t make things complicated.” Woozi rolled his eyes. “Just are you in or not?”

            “Give me some time to think it over.” You mused.

            Woozi eyes narrowed. “What is there to think over?” He said defensively, voice suddenly deeper.

            “Well I mean, I have to calculate the costs. Figure out transportation to school, I don’t have a car. I should calculate what the travel times mean in regard to my schedule-”

            “The house is a five-minute walk from the downtown bus stop.” Woozi growled interrupting you, crossing his arms over his chest.

            “Those are just examples of the things that I need to go over before I jump into something.”     

            Woozi glared down at you, biting his cheek. “Why do you have to be so logical all the time?”

            “I don’t know why you are so upset right now, I just have to think it over.” You said, your eyes locking with his burning ones. “What did you expect?”

            “I don’t know!” He threw his arms up and imitated you. “ ‘Wow, I would love to move in with you and Josh.’ ”

            “Surely, you didn’t actually expect me to say that.”

            Woozi clenched his teeth, a sound escaping it that sounded like a strangling goat. “You went on that trip with us without say a second word.”

            “That was for less than a week. This is a whole year.”

            “But you want to right?”

            “It doesn’t matter what I want. Whatever makes the most sense-“

             “When you go tonight to see Joshua, talk to him about it. I’m sure that he will be able to convince you.” Woozi spat, sitting down on his chair.

            “This is what happens when you don’t sleep properly. You get all cranky.”

            “Be quiet. I need to work now.”

            “If you’re upset-“ But Woozi wasn’t listening, he already had his headphones on, playing at full blast. His hand gripping his mouse tightly.

            Woozi didn’t talk to you for the rest of the day. To be fair he didn’t have any time to, spending most of the day completely immersed in his music production.

            As the sky darkened, you took the bus downtown and entered the guitar shop just when it past eight.

            Jeonghan was standing behind the counter, wiping it down. He looked up when you entered, his long hair falling gracefully over his face. “I’ve been told that you will help close shop tonight.” He said.

            “All for a good price.” You said, sliding off your coat. “I hear there is a good cup of tea in it for me.”

            “Just don’t stay to late.” Jeonghan said. “I shouldn’t trust you, but I will. There are security cameras in here so don’t do anything freaky.”

            “I guarantee.” You said as Joshua emerged from the back, smiling at you.

            “I just got the kettle warming up in the staff room.” Joshua said. His long legs getting him to you within a second and he was pulling you into a hug. Your hands awkwardly placed themselves on his back. You were still getting used to this.

            You pulled away first, your patience with the physical contact wearing thin. “What do we need to do?”

            “All that is left is check the inventory in the back.” Jeonghan said, handing Joshua the keys. “Make sure you lock up when you go.”

            Joshua nodded, saluting him military style as Jeonghan put on his coat and exited out the front, leaving his nametag behind.

            “The tea should be ready soon.” Joshua said, as he led you in the back. Behind the curtains were rows of shelves, all crammed with cardboard boxes. The room was dingy and clogged your senses with dust.

            “How are your classes going?” You asked.

            “You mean of the two I am taking?” Joshua spat. Always a bit disappointed that he could never be a full-time student. Part-time student, full-time worker. “I’m really liking the class on personality. But about that-“His face cracked into a wide cheesy smile. “Next year, I’ll be able to be a full time student.”

            “Josh, that’s great.” You said, high fiving him, your lips parting to curl up. “Aren’t you excited?”

            “Maybe I’ll be able to graduate soon then.” Joshua groaned. Even though Joshua was twenty-one, he only had the credits that of a sophomore.

            “Woozi talked to me today.” You said as Joshua lifted a box from the shelf and placed it on the table. Fingers skimming though the plastic cases of CD’s inside. “About living next year.”

            “And you said?” Joshua said, not looking up from his diligent work. He wrote something down on his clipboard and lifted the box back on the shelf, taking the one next to it off and placing it on the table.

            “I told him I would think about it. But I think he got a little upset when I didn’t absolutely jump at the opportunity.”

            “Of course he got upset.” Joshua droned in concentration. “Woozi doesn’t ask for a lot often, but when he does… he can be a bit temperamental.”

            “And that is what he did. He got defensive for no reason.” You grunted. “Does this mean I’m officially Woozi’s friend now if he gets upset over something?”

            “I’m afraid that is exactly what that means. Getting him to admit that is the reason might be difficult.” Joshua smirked. “But you should live with us next year.”

            “’Us’? So you are living in the house.”

            “If I can. And I have a car, so I can give people rides to school if you ever don’t want to take the bus.”

            “I’m just not sure about it.”

            “It will be so much fun!” Joshua said. “We can see each other every day.”

            “And you won’t get sick of me?”

            Joshua looked up. “I’m not promising anything.” You hit him in the arm. “I’m just saying that it would be one crazy household. Dino and Coups would be living there too.”

            “You just have to give me some time to think it over.”

            “I know what is going on, you are afraid of commitment, aren’t you?” One amused eyebrow popped up from Joshua’s glasses

            “Terribly!” You breathed. “I can hardly keep up with a gym membership let alone a friendship. What if we all move in together and we discover we all hate each other?”

            “Well I have lived with them before. You would be the only newbie.”

            “Because that makes me feel so much better.” You growled.

            He laughed. “You might just need to get uncomfortable for a while, get out of your comfort zone. Besides, think of how much fun we would have. But you would obviously still have to room with Woozi, I don’t think anyone else wants to take that.”

            There was a ringing from up front. Joshua looked up from his box, eyebrows furrowed. “Did Jeonghan close the door? Customers should really read the hours of service.” He huffed, powerwalking out. As he approached the door out onto the store floor, he stopped, looking out the window.

            He turned to you quickly wide eyes, and gripped your shoulders, hands tense. His eyebrows were raised so high they peaked up from the top of his glasses. “What’s wrong?”

            “You need to stay here.” He said quickly under his breath.

            “Whoa, Josh, what is-“

            “You have to stay here. Don’t come out.”

            “Who is here?”

            “You have to promise me you will stay here no matter what.”

            “Why would I-“

            “Promise me.”

            “But Josh-

            “Promise me.” He demanded, his brown eyes seeping into yours with a forced panic. “You trust me, right?”

            You looked back at him. “Of course, I do.”

            “Then promise me.”

            “Fine. I’ll stay here. But I don’t understand-“

            “I’ll explain in a minute. Just let me take care of this, be quiet.” Joshua had never been this assertive with you before, you normally being the dominant one in the relationship.

            Joshua walked through the doors with a cheery, “Hello, gentleman. I’m afraid that we are closed.”       

            You peaked in the window and saw a group of around seven guys, all in the center of the store, their eyes trained on Joshua. A man stepped out in the front, conversing with Joshua things that you wouldn’t hear. He made lazy hand gestures with a lollypop in hand.

            Joshua had a smile on his face but he was fiddling with the back of his beanie. His fingers a fumbling sweat around the fabric.

            You couldn’t hear what they were talking about but the way that Joshua’s grin slowly slid down, assured you that it wasn’t music related. Slowly as the conversation progressed, the group of guys slowly inched their way towards Joshua. Joshua, in turn. started backing up slowly with every step they took. They guy in the middle stood unwavering, standing lazily with his shoulders back and all of his weight on the heels of his fee; his mouth moving as the others surrounded him.

            “No, Josh, No.” You whispered, your hand clutching the door handle. “Please, don’t.”

            The guys were slowly closing in on Joshua, who was smiling at each one frantically. The hissing of the tea kettle on the stove was throbbing in your ears. Your teeth gritting together. Joshua yelled something as they took one step nearer, now he was almost pressing himself against the counter. At the blurting of his words, the man in the middle’s gaze darkened. He visibly sighed and rolled his head back, his eyebrows creasing his forehead.  He adjust his jacket pompously and in a lazy flick of his finger, the surrounding men caved in on Joshua, restraining him.

            Your hand tightened on the doorknob even more. Your face contorted. Joshua’s words running through your mind, “You trust me, right?”.

            Joshua struggled as four of them held him. Two on each side. Joshua began trying to himself away, his beanie flying off, wrinkles creasing his widened eyes, his lips parting. The guy in the middle motioned to the other three and WACK, Joshua was socked in the face.

            You trust me, right? You trust me, right? You trust me, right? You trust me, right? The words were screaming at you, pounding against your every limb.

            Joshua head snapped to the side, facing you, body kept in place by the rough hands holding him down. His pursed his eyes in the pain, unable to bring his arms up to meet his throbbing cheek. He opened his eyes and he looked directly at the door. You didn’t know if he could see you, but his eyes were pleading, begging for you to stay. He wanted you to stay there; be a bystander to God-knows what crime this would become.

           You trust me, right?

           The man in the middle said a few words. Joshua turned his head straight, wincing under the crushing grip of those who were holding him down. The man took a step forward to Joshua, his legs swinging out in front of each other in a over-exaggerated walk; he said something to Joshua with crazed eyes. Joshua’s mouth moved back in a smile, the left corner of it splotched with blood. The man snarled and with a single move of his mouth, Joshua was thrown on the ground. The men surrounded him, kicking at him. Joshua thrived and tossed on the ground, like a fish out of water. His hands wrapped around his head to shield himself. His grunts were loud enough that it penetrated through the door,

           I’m sorry, Josh. You thought as you burst through, sprinting to the circle of guys in the middle, jumping on the first henchman you saw. The pounding of your heart drove out any coherent thoughts, the rush of it all enough to turn you into an animal. You ripped him away from Joshua, and kicked him in the chest, screaming.

           The rest of the group paused for a second, shocked by your sudden appearance, but all you saw was red. You attacked the next one, punching him on the cheek, using your elbow to crush his nose and pushing him over. The third one was the same. You had no thought. Your mind was blank. The overwhelming, agonizing, pounding rage drove away any sanity.

           You pulled at the fourth one’s hair, giving him a direct hit to the face. That’s when  you felt hands all over you, pulling you away, grabbing at your fists and your jacket. The hands yanked you away from your current victim. You kicked and thrashed, growling at them like a wild animal; your face red with contortion.

           You were outnumbered.

           The seven pairs of hands, forced you to your knees, bending your arms behind your back in a painful police hold. You were breathing heavy, unable to settle yourself down. Joshua was sprawled to your left, one of the men stepping on the middle of his back, his body wincing with every increase of pressure.

           You struggled against the many hands holding you, screaming insults at them; yelling things that you fully didn’t understand.

           “I say we just calm down.” A voice said. And a guy was standing above you, twirling a lollypop around in his finger.

           You glared up at him through your wild hair. Your eyes burning like an untamed wildfire.

           “Boss, isn’t she the one from earlier today?” A nasally voice spoke from behind you, the hand around the back of your neck tightening.

           “I must say,” The boss crouched down to your level, eyes scanning over you. “I think it is.” He stood up, grinning; his smile was thin but wide, his grin seemed to curl all the way up to his eyes. “How disappointing, I thought you would call.”

           You glared at him, a bit breathless and your jaw set. “Not going to say anything now, are we?” His sickly sweat voice sang, bouncing on the end of his heels. “You certainly have a fighting spirit in you.” He tisked and focused his gaze behind you. “Let her go.”

           “But Boss-“ A voice said, breathing into your hair.

           The man’s gaze darkened, his smile falling and his lollypop standing still. “I tell you to let her go, you let her go. She knows she’s outnumbered now.”

           Slowly, the hands released their grips, and sudden aches filled where their crushing fingers had been digging into your skin. You hissed and lean forward. The men surrounding the group with a circle that you recognized as practiced formation.

           “I like to think that given some time, that you would’ve given me a call.” The man said lazily his sly grin returning, the lollypop bouncing in his mouth as he spoke. The windows to the shop were pulled back to hide the inside from view, people walking by would assume it was closed; like it should be.

           You ignored him and scooted to Josh, your heart burning in your chest. The man removed his foot off of his back and Joshua let out a groan with the release of pressure. You turned Joshua’s head to you, your eyes tracing over every pore. He looked up at you through hooded eyes. His eyes told you what you already knew he would say, ‘You should’ve stayed in the back, you idiot.’

           You tried to speak but you were shaking too much. A few of the men bent over and picked Josh up. You sprang to your feet, but before you could do anything, more hands were forcing you back.

            The men forced Joshua upright, and Joshua was able to stand up on his own. The henchman still had loose grips on Joshua’s elbows only applying enough strength to threaten with the possibility

            “You do know you are outnumbered?” The man spoke, spluttering in a low laugh. You didn’t answer, your eyes stuck on Joshua. “I heard you speak before so I know you aren’t mute. But that’s a shame, really, I like a woman holds her tongue. The mute the better, I’d say.” He droned, taking a step forward you, and the hands released you again. He raised his eyebrows as he talked, wiggling a finger at you, taunting you. One of the guys behind you pushed you forward to the Boss. “Huh?” He egged you on with wide eyes, taking another step closer. “Going to say anything?

            You gritted your teeth together, still looking at Joshua.

            “Turn him away.” The boss waved his hands at the men holding Joshua. “It seems that someone can’t have a proper conversation.” Joshua was able to shoot you a panicked look before the guards turned him around. “Another disappointment, a lady should always pay attention to the leading man.”

            You looked at the man’s cheery smile. “Ahh, I see that eye contact never hurt anyone.” He sang joyfully only to be met with more silence. “But I see you still aren’t talking.” The man sighed and shoved his hands in his jacket; slicking back his hair with his many ringed fingers. The smile dissolved and snapped his fingers, his eyes not leaving you. “I wonder what our Joshua would do if he couldn’t play guitar.”

            Before the sentence finished, the men were forcing Joshua to his knees. One of the men outstretched Joshua’s hand, pushing his face back with the other. The other man took Joshua’s pointers finger and twisted it sideways; Joshua screamed.

            “NO!” You heard the echo of your own voice vibrate against the acoustic shop.

           The boss raised his hand again, his lips curling, and the boys let go of Joshua. “And she talks.” He said slyly in an excited voice that of a two year old. “Let save us all the trouble and make the rules clear now. You answer my questions and your boyfriend walks away with his limbs attached.”

           “He is going to get the beat out of him either way.” You hissed lowly, Joshua groaned in the background. “And he’s not my boyfriend.”

           The man’s mouth formed an ‘O’ and he put one hand over it, that of a shy schoolboy. “I lied…I should be embarrassed shouldn’t I?” He rolled his eyes and dropped the act. His arms falling down lazily. “But this one is smart-” The man gave you charismatic smile. His voice high and playful, not matching the current situation.  “-and single. Anyway, stupid me. Need to focus, don’t I? Let’s start with the basics.” His smile cracked into a dangerous glare. His playful done dying instantly, replaced with a deep growl. “Why are you here?”

           Your eyes glanced at Joshua. “If you look at him one more time, I will have my boys take him in the back for a little bit of bonding time. I really don’t like people wasting my time.”

           “Hanging out.” Your eyes snapped to the man in front of you, quickly. “We were just hanging out.”

“You weren’t sent here by anyone?”

           “Who would send me?” You snapped.                                  

           “Do you know who we are?” His gaze intensified. This was a dangerous question. If you gave any indication that you knew, they would be forced to dispose of you as a possible witness.

            “A gang of some sort.” You spat.

            “Any ideas which one?”

            “I don’t track the rats on the streets. Neither do I pay attention to garbage like you.”

            The man laughed. A dangerous smile with lowered eyebrows “Oh, you are quite entertaining. I see why he keeps you around.”

            “Who?” You demanded.

            “Your little friend, Jihoon. I met with him today. But I can’t blame you for telling me about him properly, you probably didn’t even know that was his name. He does hate it when I call him that.”

            “You met with him today?”

            “I wanted to see him. And I’m glad you got the message across but I am disappointed in your methods. I would’ve much rather that you kept the number for yourself.” He took a step forward, his face getting uncomfortably close.

            “ my .” And you spat on his face. Hands grabbed you from behind, pressing down on you with the weight for your actions.

            He wiped your spit from his eye with his ringed index finger. He looked down at you with a gaze that seemed to freeze your core. “Disrespectful.” He growled. “And I’ve treated nothing but like a lady.”

            “Do all your ladies get bruises the morning after?” You winced at the hands crushed down on your, some nails digging into your skin.

            “Most.” He smiled to himself. “But the nights before are much different than this.”

            “I think I’m going to be sick.” Joshua yelled from the back, and you looked to see him struggling against the two men, who were easily holding him back. Joshua’s face was completely red as he scrambled against the two holding him. Joshua’s eyes locked on you. “What are you… flirting with her? For goodness sake” With a raise of the boss’ hand, Joshua was punched; the blow was effective in silencing him.

            “I feel bad that you had to get in the mix- TURN HIM AROUND.” His playful tone had snapped into a scream of burning rage midsentence. He changed so quickly you got whiplash.. His sudden yell made you jump , and you quickly turned your attention back to the boss.

He was completely psychotic.

            The boss took a deep breath in, his eyes squeezing shut. And when he looked back up at you he was fine again, he cleared his throat and continued like normal. “I feel bad you had to get in the mix, but you understand that we all have our duties.”

            “And your bastard just so happens to be involved in hurting innocent people?” The thought that you were stuck in a room where the power laid all in the hands of a psycho made you more bolder.

            “Innocent.” He chuckled, his bottom lip sticking out. “Oh honey, how sweet of you to think.” He shot you a wink. “But I hope what I’m about to do doesn’t taint our relationship. We have such great potential.” He reached his hand out to cup your cheek, and in a split second decision you punched him in the face.

            He stumbled back. And the four guys were on you again; surrounding you, pressing against you, and yelling cries of outrage. This time they were rougher, pulling at your hair, your clothes.

            The man touched his lifted lip, smirking. “OH!” He exclaimed gloriously. “This is where things get great!”  He shooed the men away. “Come on gentleman, let the lady go.” They hesitantly moved away from you.  “It’s been a while since I’ve met a lady without her leash.”

            “Try to put me in one, I dare you. I’ll bite your ing fingers off.” You snarled.

            He stepped close to you, holding you at your elbows, forcing them at the sides. Every inch of you screamed to rebel and kick and scream, but the henchman were ready to pounce again. “Things move so quickly with you, don’t they?” He muttered and turned to the guys behind you. “Now, time is of the essence. Let’s do what we came here to do. Three of you, take her. The rest-.” He said dully, nodding to Joshua with dead, fish like eyes.

            Three guys surrounded you. The rest of the crowd closed in around Joshua who was frantically moving around. “JOSH!” You screamed. They forced you to your knees and restrained you. You expected a blow or two but none came. They were just keeping you at bay.

            The men wasted no time getting right into the heat of the battle. They easily threw him to the ground. They pulled at his hair, punched his teeth, tore at his clothes. They laughed as he cried, spitting on him as he cried for the mercy of the pain.

            Your body would explode. The pressure of it all what suffocating. When they punched him, your stomach when numb. When they hit him, your teeth hurt. You were crying, screaming. Your eyes burned with an ache as they mocked the way the defended himself, beating him worse. They hurled insults at him, their cruel faces twisted into barely recognizable smiles as they did the deed.  

            “Please, don’t do this.” Joshua begged through a gurgle of blood, one of his teeth lying on the floor at his feet. “You’ll regret this, don’t do this to yourself.” His eyes were still kind as ever. The men scoffed at his words, and with another cracking punch, Joshua was silenced.

            Joshua was begging them. He grasped at their clothes when they pulled him up by the hair. They ripped his ear piercing from out, blood streaming down. He cried, blood running down his splotchy red face and onto his damp cheeks. They ripped his cross necklace from his neck and threw it on the ground, trampling it under their stained boots. Blood trickled down from Joshua’s ear and the droplets fell on the shoes of his attackers. He sobbed as they held Joshua upright by the collar of his shirt, repeatedly punching him; Joshua’s shirt almost choking him, his feet lifted off the ground.

            You trashed around. You were unsure if the wetness on your face were tears or sweat. You turned to the boss who was watching Joshua with a sickly smirk. “PLEASE!” You screamed, your voice horse. The boss turned slightly to you. “STOP THIS PLEASE. STOP IT, STOP IT.”

            The Boss swiveled on the heels of his feet, a devilish smile spread across his face. “Yes?”

            “MAKE IT STOP.” You yelled, the sound of Joshua gurgling on his own blood burned in your ears. “PLEASE. PLEASE. STOP IT. PLEASE.”

            He leisurely walked over to you, his stride painfully slow against the rapid fire of punches that wacked Joshua around. He knelt down on one knees in front of you, and led a stray hair behind your ear. A rather futile effort as all of your hair was matted to your face in the moisture. “I can’t do that.” He mocked you, sticking his lower lip out.

            “P-please” You voice cracked, your face contorted with the most painful form of vulnerability. Your chest would surely cave in on itself. You looked up at him, your eyes wide and glossy. His dead expression stated back.  “Not him. P-please.”

            “You look so pretty when you cry.” He smirked. Joshua’s screams echoed in the background. “Leashing you seems easier than I thought.”

            “I ing hate you.” You whispered, your face morphing. Your lips curled back in a snarl that reeled back further with every blow you heard hit his skin. You nose crunched up, your eyebrows shooting down. “I hope you burnt in hell. I hope you DIE. I HOPE YOU DIE. I’ll KILL YO- You thrashed around, spit flying with every word.

            He tusked you, as if you were a child, his finger trailing across your jaw. “I almost forgot, even after all this you probably still don’t have my number, do you? Our little Jihoon stole that from you. But don’t worry though.” He said softly.

            He pulled down the collar of your shirt with his index finger, and his eyes locked on henna tattoo that Woozi had designed. “I thought so.” He muttered to himself distainfully.

           He stood up, and called one guy of each of the groups forward. He handed them pocket knives. “Only play with the toys for a while. I fear we may have to make our exit soon.” He stopped the guy who had been helping restraining you. The boss looked at you and winked. “Make sure she remembers by phone number. Left collar bone, over that cheesy tattoo.” And he turned his back.

            The guy approached you with knife in hand. One of the guys in Josh’s group was cornering him, the same clean blade in hand.

           “NO!” The men holding you flinched at your scream. You thrashed around, and they forced you so that you were sitting in one of the guy’s lap, while the other held your arms. The guy with the knife drew near and pulled down your shirt to revel your collarbone. And he starting.

            You screamed as the blade burned wetly through your skin. Your screamed were echoed by the louder, higher screams of Joshua. You couldn’t see him anymore, the group was surrounding him, blocking him from view.  You tensed, trying to move away from the blade that stung like cold fire. The more you moved, the deeper the man drove the knife in your skin, chuckling as you whimpered; biting your cheek to prevent from yelling out.

            The man stopped and pulled away, four numbers carved into your skin, outlined by the dark clotting blood. The rest of the tattoo covered by the blood that was running down your chest. The Boss looked at you, and shrugged. “The area code is obvious.” He droned, bored. “You can use that, can’t you? Much better than some idiotic business card, I’ll say. This way you can’t loose it”

            You felt faint, the rims of eyesight closing in. The darkness threatening to break.

            Josh. You thought, praying to a God that you didn’t believe in. Let him be okay, please. Help him.

            Your lids of your eyes were caving down, the nausea came over you in waves. And then the hands dropped you, and your cheek was pressed against the cold floor.

            The group broke apart. The Boss walked over to Joshua, who was lying on the floor, and  pulled at his stained hair so he could look him in the eye. Joshua’s eyes rolled back, barely even able to focus. “I expect next time, you’ll have it? If not, I could always pay your friend a visit.” Joshua’s slits of eyes darted to you. “Didn’t she tell you? We’re acquainted now, gave her my number and everything. It was a bit of a fling, but I’ll stop by sometime.”

            He man let go of Joshua and he fell limply to the ground. “Come on boys.” The boss said, but he stopped. “Make sure you take out the security cameras before you go.”

            And then they were gone. Joshua was unmoving. The sound of the hissing tea pot ringing in the silent store. You crawled to him, every inch of you screaming. Your chest dripping red as you crawled.

            You reached Joshua, and turned his face to you. You could barely recognize him.

            “Josh.” You screamed, and you put his head on your knee. Your hand grasped at his t-shirt, pulled away and a sticky substance dying his shirt red. “JOSH!” Your voice cracked, your shaky hand cupping his face. His glazed over eyes looked at you for a second, the corner of his bloodied mouth lifting up for a fraction of a second. His hand twitched up, reaching in vein for you.

            And then he said your name. Not the false name you had been going under, but your real name; the name you had been given at birth.

           His eyes rolled back. His head droped. His finger falling.

            You shook him. “Josh. Josh. Wake up.” You couldn’t breathe. You were drowning, your chest was rising but no air was coming in. Everything was moving so fast around you, but you seemed to be standing still. Your head bounded. Breathe. Breathe. You couldn’t stop breathing. But why weren’t you breathing, you felt nothing. No oxygen was satisfying your lungs. You breathed harder. Faster.

            Your limbs set aflame by the lack of oxygen. White spots danced behind your eyes. Surely, this is was dying felt like. You were dying. You couldn’t breathe. Everything was spinning. You just wanted to breathe. Spinning.

            Your eyes were refusing to focus anymore, everything was like you were looking at through a foggy mirror. You grasped around Joshua’s body, unable to see. And your hand were roaming around looking for something.

            “Sorry, I didn’t get that.” It was Siri. You yelled and felt around for Joshua’s phone. You grasped it around his pocket and pulled it out. Your eyes couldn’t focus on the screen, your throat burning as you pressed the middle button and rasped, “C-call W-w-Woozi.” You spluttered.

            The phone rang forever and you held Joshua. Your trembling arms wrapped shook his shoulders. The longer the phone rang the more impossible it began to breathe.

            “Hello?” it was his voice.

            “W-w-woozi. I-i-” You were hyperventilating, in incoming breaths choking out any words.”

            “What’s wrong?”

            “I-I was a-at the s-shop. A-a-and J-J-osh and I w-were sorting bo-o-xes-“

            “Breathe.” Woozi said. “What is wrong? Tell me.”

            The more you talked, the more your vision closed in. “J-josh, b-blood-” You forced the words out in a croak.  The white spots that were splotching your vision, caved in. And blinding white light consumed your vision. Your body dropped to the floor, Joshua’s blood sticking to your neck.

            The white light consumed everything, your mind drifting away. And when the white light dissolved, all that remained was darkness.