Chapter Thirty Two

The Roommate

            “Hey, Coups, be a man and buy me some popcorn would ya?” Jeonghan yelled over the echoing sound of squeaking sneakers.

            Coups glared at Jeonghan, leaning back on the seat behind him. The seven of you sat in line of two, surrounded on the packet high rise bleachers filled with middle-aged mothers. The basketball court was filled with loud pre-game small talk. Students wandered around in groups, talking avidly about the first game of the basketball season.

            “No.” Coups said, “Ask Mingyu or Wonwoo when they get here.” Coups shrugged off his leather jacket, a plain loose-fitting white shirt underneath. Coups scanning the stadium’s seats behind him, picking at him thumb with his forefinger.

            “Looking for Andrea?” You said, turning your head behind to look at Coups sitting on the bleacher above you.

             “She said she was coming.” Coups drawled lazily.

            Woozi, sitting next to Coups, grasped his shoulder. “Women say things they don’t mean all the time. Don’t get to worked up about it.”

            “Hey.“  You said in a dangerous voice, swiping your hand over the bleachers. Woozi lifted his feet slightly, a sly smile spread across Woozi’s face when you missed.

            He set his elbow on Coups’ shoulder leaning in and extending a finger to you with one eye shut as if pointing you out from a distance. “See? Take this one for example. She swore that she hated me and then she said she didn’t-“

            “I did hate you.” You mumbled, swiping him again and succeeding in hitting him in the shin. Woozi grasped his knee biting his cheek with a tensed blank expression, you were sure you hit his funny bone.

            “Don’t worry, she’ll come.” You told Coups

“I’m not sure if I want her to.” Coups groaned glancing at  Hoshi and DK sitting next to you.

           If Hoshi and DK got lost in the crowd it would be impossible to tell apart the two juniors from the rest of the middle-aged ‘soccer mom’ crowd. Hoshi adorned a tie-dye t-shirt. The shirt originally had Dino’s number written in green marker on it front- that was until DK accidently threw the shirt in with the rest of the laundry and turned the whole front side green. Hoshi settled for writing the number ‘17’ in sketchy overdrawn letters using a pen he found rolling around in Coup’s van ten minutes before game.

           DK showed his support by using your own paints to write the number on his forehead along with two thick black warrior lines under his eyes. They had used your paints without asking, so you were going to wait and let the paint sink deeper in his pores before you told him the paint stained skin.

            “I’m not even turned around and I know you are talking about me.” Hoshi said, craning his neck to look at the doors, itching to get a glimpse past.

            “We told you not to wear that.” Woozi drone. “You look like an idiot.”

            “He always looks like an idiot.” You added under your breath. You extended your hand backwards and Woozi slapped you with a high five.

            “It’s called being supportive.” Hoshi said defensively, squinting at you. “It’s not like Miss Heart-of-stone here would understand.”

            “Not true.” DK said pointedly, sipping on a cola. “Water doesn’t melt her. I’ve seen her come out of the shower alive.”

            “At least you blend in,” You said. “Hey Hoshi, why don’t you go ask that lady over there what second-hand store she gets her mom-jeans from? They would look great on your figure, really extenuate those hips.”

            DK chuckled under his breath, abruptly halting when Hoshi snatched the drink from his hands with a grizzly expression.

            “Just some money.” Jeonghan moaned, clinging to Coups. “A popcorn.”

            “No, get your own.” Coups growled, shaking him off. Jeonghan huffed, turned forward and crossed his arms.

Woozi tapped Coups’ forearm and squeezed an open palm between the small space between them; rubbing his thumb against his forefinger. Coups discretely pulled out his wallet and slipped Woozi a five. Woozi put it in his wallet and pocketed it quickly.  

            Woozi glanced at you, aware you were watching the whole thing.

“Want to get some popcorn?” He said loudly, pulling out his wallet as if it was fresh.

            Jeonghan snapped his head. “You offer her popcorn?”

            “Duh,” Woozi gave Jeonghan a sour look, “She’s my roommate. I have to be nice to her, she has too much blackmail material.”

            Woozi stood up and gestured for you to follow. You followed. You were more apt to waste Coup’s money over Woozi’s.  The two of you stepped down the bleachers, hearing DK and Hoshi bickering as you went. For a second, Woozi and you got a bit lost, circling the school, trying to find the concessions stand.

            “Has Joshua responded to you?” Woozi asked casually, craning his neck around a corner only to be met with another dimly lit hallway.

            “No,” you sighed, walking in step with his. “His phone is disconnected, I think.”

            “That was a test.” Woozi said, glaring at you. “I know you already talk to him, I hear you talking on your phone at night.”

            “Invalid test.” You snorted, leaning into him mid-stride to bump his shoulder. “I said I think his phone is disconnected. I just leave him voicemails.”

            “How can his phone be disconnected and his voicemail system still be active?” Woozi gave you a look of disapproval.

            “I think he just ditched his phone somewhere. It’s not exactly disconnected but just abandoned it in the lost and found of some coffee shop.”

            “Then you shouldn’t have said disconnected.”
            “It was easier to explain that way.”

            “You call him every night?” Woozi drawled as the two of your rounded another corner. “Are you telling me those are just voicemails you are leaving him?”

            “You know, you wear those headphones all the time that I always just assume you are constantly playing music.” You scoffed. “Yea, so what? Maybe he gets them, maybe he doesn’t.”
            “He doesn’t.” Woozi said bluntly.

            “You do know that his second payment is due in a few days?” You spared him a glance.

            “You shouldn’t be worried about that stuff.” Woozi said stiffly.

            “So, you can take on the whole burden yourself?” You sighed dramatically. “What a solider.”

            “I’m not worried either.” Woozi stated. “Joshua can take care of himself.”

            “Lying doesn’t suit you ponytail.” You said. “Need I remind you I wasn’t the only one to cry that night in the guitar shop.” The smell of popcorn hit you before you saw the concessions stand.

            The veins in Woozi’s forearms bulged under his almost translucent skin. “I was sweating!” Woozi gritted. “You weigh more than Joshua.”

            “Ignoring the fact that you just purposely insulted me to get off of the subject matter-“ You said lightly.

            Woozi scoffed, his head turning down, resurfacing with a grin. “Whatever.”
            You approached the concession stands. “Besides why did Coups give you money and not Jeonghan?”
            “Jeonghan works, he can buy his own.” Woozi handed the five-dollar pill to the lady behind the table. “Plus, once you do Jeonghan one favor, he’ll ask for twenty more. Oh, can I get an ice cream sandwich too?” Woozi said as the lady returned with few dollar bills in change. “Do you want one too?” Woozi gestured the ice cream sandwich at you

            “Lactose intolerant.” You stated.

            “Oh, I forgot.” Woozi handed you the popcorn. “How do you live without ice cream?”

            “How does a snail live without salt?” You said blandly.

            Woozi shoved the change in his pocket and peeled back the wrappings of  his ice cream. Woozi opened his mouth wide for a satisfying bite and you handed the popcorn back to him. “Hey, I’ve got to go to the bathroom. So I’ll meet you back there, okay?”

            Woozi grunted strode away, joining the screams echoing from around the hall.

            In a few minutes, you were in one of the deserted classroom hallways; sitting against the floor and resting against a locker.

           Everything was so loud. Things were much simpler when you didn’t have any friends to wear you out. Before, you had overabundance of alone time. Now, you were scraping by each day without a drop of peace.

            You loved having the guys around, but it was exhausting

            After three hour long art classes, the last thing you wanted was Hoshi trying to bribe you into watching that anime he loves. Now that you and Woozi were getting along, he found himself amongst the ranks of people who wouldn’t leave you to your peace. Ever since Woozi played you to sleep that one night, he had made playing to you before bed a habit. Only, after the third night, Woozi expected some type of constructive criticism in exchange for his performance. You always fell asleep before he would ask, but Woozi would always find a way to worm it into the topic of conversation the next day. The criticism never seemed to be enough based off of his disgruntled expression, but he must take some value from it because he manages to convince you into at least two more critiques while you are conscious,

           Of the three, DK was the calmest one. When left on his own, he was soft-spoken and almost gentle in his mannerisms. One night when Woozi and Hoshi absent, DK and you spent an entire evening watching TV casually. DK didn’t fill in the silence with unnecessary babble, but instead enjoyed the peaceful quiet.  But this version of DK was a rarity. Once Hoshi came home the person that you had quietly shared four movies with, was dead and buried.

            The locker was cold on the back of your head. Your eyes shut, reveling in of quiet.

            A booming yell broke the silence and two boys wearing basketball jerseys scuffled out of a nearby class room. They bolted down the hall, faces stricken with panic.

            You stood up as they neared you. You grabbed one of them by their jersey before they could speed by. “Whoa, what happened?”

            The kid twisted away from your grip with  a nasty grin spread over his face. The two ran away before you could say anything. Based, off of their attire, they were late for the game.

            The peaceful silence was disruptive now, the boys had flung open the main door in their hasty escape, letting the loud outside noises to flood in the hallway.

            Curiosity pricked your goose-bumps. You neared the door the two boys came from.

            “Do the right way. No mistakes.” A voice said. The tone was familiar but you couldn’t place it to a face.

            “Yes, sir” A pre-pubescent voice responded back automatically.

            “Nothing serious,” the other voice said whimsically. “Just maybe a broken bone, go for the arms, I hear he is quite fond of crafts.”

            Your heart beat quickened. You shouldn’t be hearing this, this was certainly not healthy eavesdropping material. Leaving and pretending you heard nothing would be the best option. Don’t get involved. Sickness grew in your stomach, you knew that voice-

            “Go, now. You’ll be late. The other boys know their part, play yours.”

            Before you could turn around, two boys appeared out the the classroom and immediately collided into you, knocking both groups to the ground.

            “Boss!” One of them yelled, “Code twelve-twenty-six, Boss! Twelve-twenty-six!”

            A pair of white converse stepped out from the door, stopping two inches in front of your nose. You craned your neck, following up the tall frame that bent over you. A dimpled smile flashed down at you charismatically, a lollypop hanging lazily over his bottom lip.

            “I’ll take care of this boys.” His grin dropped as he addressed the youngers. “Hurry up, you’ll be late.”

            At the order, the boys tottered to a standing position and ran down the hallway.

            The boss extended a hand to you, eyebrows raised. Your lip snarled at the invitation. You pushed yourself off of the ground and got up on your own- dread spreading across your chest.

            The boss hand  stayed in the same position as if you were still on the ground. He slowly stood up straight  and closed his open palm to a fist. “You haven’t changed.” He said. When he spoke you recognized the deep voice in a whirl of distorted memories.

“What are you doing here?” You said, feeling your knees automatically lock.

“You know, hoping to catch up with  some old friends.” He said, head lolling from side to side, looking at you with those wide beady eyes.

            “Joshua isn’t here.”

            “Joshua isn’t an old friend. I’m here for Jihoon.”

            “I doubt he will talk to you.”

            “He might.” He sang taking a step forward. You didn’t step back . “I didn’t think I would run into you here.”

            “Agreed.” You said stiffly, his overpowering cologne burned your nose. “Why are you here, what are you planning?”

            “Little o’ me?” He pressed his palms to his chest, his mouth twisting into an innocent smile. “I am glad you are concerned.”

            “I’m concerned for who you are involving.” You corrected him, eyes narrowing.

            “How sweet.”

            “Not really.”

            His beetle like eyes hovered over your shirt. Your jacket peeled open ever so slightly to reveal a cleaned collarbone. The only damage remaining was a crisp browning line of healing flesh. His bottom lip stuck out in a pout. “After all that effort and no call.” He mused.

            “It wasn’t very compelling confession. Most girls want flowers.” Your voice was empty of humor.

            “From what Jihoon has told me, you aren’t most girls.”

            You tried to keep your fingers from twitching. “What has he told you?”

            “He claimed you were a force to be reckoned with. He  warned me to stay away from you for my own safety, apparently you can do serious damage. That is some compliment coming from him.” He sighed dramatically. His slimy tongue ran over his front teeth. “But after what happened at the guitar store, I can’t say I agree.”

            “What are you doing here?” You avoiding his clear attempts of diversion. The thought hit you over the head like a brick as. Suddenly, your head hurt. “The students you were talking to were on the other basketball team.”

            The overheard words came to you, “Just maybe a broken bone, go for the arms, I hear he is quite fond of crafts.”

“You’re going to hurt Dino-,“ Your voice trailed off, eyes widening and taking a step back.“

            The boss’s gaze darkened, the charismatic smile dying. “Do us both a favor and don’t get involved.” The boss shoved his hands in his pockets. “It would complicate things. And I don’t want to hurt you.”

            You weren’t listening, the only thought going through your head was to get Dino off of the court. The other team was going to hurt him. The others had no idea. Oh, . You needed to tell them and quickly.

            Your sneakers squeaked as you swiveled around. You took one step, your body weight shifted forward, preparing for a sprint.

            A click stopped you before you gained the momentum. The sound triggered loose memories and your legs turned to stone. Your breath bated as you slowly turned your head around.  A sleek black barrel was staring you down between your eyes. You muscle tensed, your breath caught.

            “How about we stay here for a moment?” His voice was playful, but the smile was gone.

            You didn’t respond, you doubted your voice would work under the heat of a gun. The boss took a step forward, pressing the cold metal to the middle of your forehead, his widened eyes bore into yours, “I hate it when they become mute.”

            “N-no.” You couldn’t help but stutter- a ing gun was pressed to your head.

            “Tell me,” The boss whispered. “Where does Joshua live?”

            “I’m sure you can figure that out.” He wouldn’t shoot you, no he couldn’t. This situation was familiar.  It brought back memories of plastics bags, old towns and the smell of cigarette smoke in abandoned buildings.

            You were on carpet, not ideal material for cleaning up a crime scene. His DNA was bound to be somewhere in this hallway. His fingerprints are all over the inside of that classroom.

            “I’m asking you.” He said slowly, his other hand pressed against the back of your head, driving the chilling metal further into your skin. “Come on, just try being leashed just this once.”

            “ my .” You spat. You kicked him in the shin. The boss stepped back, the gun raised away from your head slightly.  You grabbed him by the forearm and twisted it behind him. You ripped the gun away before whipping him back around. You elbowed him in the face and whacked him over the head with the of the gun.

            He backed up, hands on his face. When he looked up, the gun was pointed at him. He stood up, lips cracking into a lunatic grin.

            “Well done.” He said, rolling his shoulders back. He took a step towards you. “I’m impressed.”

            “This isn’t my first rodeo. “ You took a step forward with the gun outstretched and  targeted towards his chest. “Don’t move.” You said lowly. “Take one more step and-“

            “Are you going to shoot me?” There was not a hint of fear in his eyes.

            “I’m thinking about it.”

            “You’ll be charged for murder of an innocent citizen.” His eyes roamed the ceiling casually, bouncing on the heels of his feet.

            “You aren’t innocent.” You  growled. The gun was shaking in your trembling hands. “You almost beat Joshua to death, and now you are going after Dino. Who’s next?”

            “So what? What would killing me do? Even I am dead, surely you must know that I have an heir to continue work after I am gone.” He said proudly, jutting his jaw out. “Come on, even you are smarter than that.”

            “Some people would say I’m stupid enough for it.” Your finger tightened around the trigger.

            “Fine,” he put up his hands, looking completely demented with his sickly grin. “Shoot me.”

            You had to. You couldn’t. This would get Joshua off the hook. But it wouldn’t.

You were associated. If you killed the boss, his minions would certainly come after you and everyone you were associated with. Joshua included. They would be in more danger than before.

            You lowered the gun ever so slightly, the boss smirked, eyeing you. “You are smart.”

            The boss took a step forward, “Give me my baby.” He outstretched an open palm in front of you, wiggling his fingers.

            “How do I know you aren’t doing to shoot me?”

            The boss rolled his eyes and snatched the gun from you hands. He pressed the gun between your eyes. You screamed and stumbled back. It was too late.

            Click.

            The boss shoved the gun back into his deep pants pocket, looking at your shocked expression humorously.

            “I-it wasn’t loaded?” You said slowly, lip trembling.

            “Of course not. Bring a loaded gun to a school event?” He scoffed. “I have my boys bring them but not me.”

            “You’re crazy.” You murmured, heart beating so widely you could hear it. You could’ve been shot.

            “Just learning this now?” He pulled out the lolly-pop stick from his mouth, which was nothing more than a stick. He tossed it  behind him and reached into his pocket, pulling out another wrapped candy in bright packaging. “Want one? I’ve got plenty.” He unwrapped it and tossed the trash at his feet.

            “No thanks, I’m good.” You slowly, starting backing up, eyes budging out of your head. “I think I should go now.” You can’t forget the game. Dino in danger.

            “Let me you.” He walked in front of you, outstretching a bent arm to you.

            “No.” you said. You were too shaken up from the event to even sound disgusted.

            “What type of gentleman would I be if I let a lady go all by herself?”

            “I hardly think you live up to the gentleman lifestyle.” Your hands were shaking. He could’ve killed you.

            “I may be the boss of murdering men. But believe me, I have a moral code.”

            “What an oxymoron.” You muttered, taking a step back. He followed.

            “You know…if you care so much for Joshua, you could just join him.”

            “Excuse me?”

            “If you are so worried about what Joshua would do if he were to join my little family-“

            “That won’t happen.”

            “But if it does. What then? You could always join our family yourself. You would be able to protect him from the inside.”

            “I’m not joining your gang.” You spat, trying to walk faster.

            “Even to help your friend? Ahh, after everything that happened at Hexhim, I assumed your response would be nothing less.”

            If it was possible to feel more afraid then you were, this would be it. The word pierced your ears like a high-pitched scream, cold chills slid down your spine. “What did you just say?” Your throat tightened and the words came out as a strangled gasp.

            “Hexhim.”He said the word again, his eyes examining your face. Automatically, you flinched when you heard the word again. The boss’s eyes crinkled with a smile, pleased at your reaction. “Oh, its been a while since you’ve heard that.”

             “How do you know where I am from?” You said stiffly.

            “Gang leaders have alliances with other gang leaders. They just so happen to mention a girl on the run.”

            “And you automatically assume that girl is me?”

            “They said she booked it over the summer. She was at a local college for art, coincidence is it not?”

            “Art isn’t an uncommon major.” You closed your hands into fists to prevent him from seeing your shaking fingers.

            “They sent pictures.” He rolled his eyes. “I know it’s you.”

           “No they didn’t. You saw nothing. They have no pictures of me.” You said quickly, eyebrows lowered.  “You found out on your own, who told you? Who?” The desperation in your voice echoed throughout the empty hallway. Beats of sweat rolled over your brow, dripping onto your shaking shoulders. No matter how much you tried, you couldn’t stop the trembling in your arms.

            “My ways don’t matter.” His eye brows lowered over his eyes, squinted in a crazed smile. “It just matters that I know it. I know everything.”

            You turned away now jogging back to the gym. Ignoring him was necessary. Dino, you needed to focus on Dino.

            “Ignoring me won’t make me go away.” He sang cheerfully.

            “Then what will?” You stated, your nostrils flaring.

            Him almost shooting you was scary. But something that was a hundred times more terrifying was that he knew where you were from. Possibly what happened there. What you did. The very thought instantly dried your mouth.

            “Join my gang.” He was walking along aside you.

            “Why would I do that?” You walked faster, not looking at him.      

            “Because you miss the life.” The boss easily matched your increasing speed.

            “I don’t.”

            “You don’t?”

            “I was never in a gang.”
            “But you were.”

            “I wasn’t.”

            “Then why does everyone in Hexhim him think you were?” He put his hand on your shoulder

            “I worked for them, I didn’t… I wasn’t in a gang!” You ripped his hand off of your shoulder, looking at him with utter disgust. “Don’t touch me.” You hissed.

            “If you join, I will lighten Joshua’s sentence.”

            “Liar. No you won’t.”

            The boss shrugged.

            You were an inch away from begging. Pleading to keep the information to himself, not to tell the people here or the people back in that old town.

            You tried to change the conversation as you walked faster. “Why do you want me anyway? I was too ‘unleashed’ for your ist , remember?”

            “Maybe that is why. Nothing is gives more thrill then leashing a wild one.”

            You snapped around. “Nothing would give me more pleasure than to punch you right now.” You teeth were clenched, jaw protruding.

            “Punch me and another thousand will be added to Joshua’s tab.”

            “How about I give you a twenty and I punch you for free?”

            “Not unless you want you new friends to find out everything,” He whispered through a devilish smile. “Wouldn’t it just be horrible?”

            There was a yell in the distance, the sound a blaring haring. Your eyes widened as the turned to you, smirking.

            “Dino!” You yelled, “!” You broke out into a run.

            “Lets talk some other time!” The boss yelled after you, his voice fading as you bolted down the hallway. “I’ll tell the people in Hexhim you said hi.”

            The sounds grew along with your heart beat. Your legs burned as you ran at an impossible pace, your muscles burning with worry. Dino had to be okay.

            You saw the entrance for the gym, the sound of chaos was deafening. The strong lights of the gym almost blinded you, but you quickly adjusted. People were screaming from both sides of the bleachers. The parent’s side was erupting louder, yelling at the ref.

            Dino was getting up from the ground at the side of the felid, dusting himself off, looking unharmed. The rest of the team surrounded him. All eyes were not on Dino but on a group of boys standing off to the side talking to the other team’s coach. You recognized one of them from the hallway.

            “They’re crazy! Get them off the felid!” The scream was Hoshi’s, almost indistinguishable from the rest of the yells erupting  from the mothers behind them. Coups stood up in front of the bleachers, worry creasing his forehead. His thick fingers fiddling with the zipper of his jacket, looking anxious. Woozi leaned back in his seat, you could recognize the tenseness masked under his blank expression. Wonwoo and Mingyu were standing too, looking confused, like they had just gotten there.

            You walked toward them, heart dying down. Jeonghan was booing loudly,  joined by DK.

            “They should be kicked out! Dino could’ve been seriously hurt!” DK bellowed.

            The referee waved his arms, signaling a foul. And there was an outcry from your side of the bleachers. Dino looked back where everyone stood and shrugged, beads of sweat trailing down his forehead.

            “The boss is here.” You grabbed his shoulder and forced him down to your level to whisper. ”A few of those boys over there are with him. I overheard them, they are trying to break Dino’s arm.”

            Coups’ eyes widened. “They are what?” He said loudly.

            “I think those kids are his trainees. He told them to break Dino’s arm.”

            Coups looked around frantically, started waving his arms. But Dino’s back was to the belchers and the team was already in formation. The whistle blew, the sounds of squeaking rubber filled the loud room.

            “We need to pull Dino out.” Coups said quickly, eyes darting around. “Now.”

            Woozi came up from behind you, looking at Coups with raised eyebrows. “Why is he here?” He whispered.

            You and Coups turned. The boss was standing lazily in the doorway. Lollypop dangling over his lips, he flashed one of the kids from the other team a thumbs up. The kid smiled and returned the gesture, a knowing glint in his eye. The boss slowly turned to  where you and the boys stood. His eyebrows raised in a kind smile, his beady eyes felt like the weight of a hundred gazes.

            “I’m gonna kill him.” Coups whispered, his fists tightening.

            “What is he doing here?” Woozi asked.

            “He wants to talk to you.” You said, glancing at Woozi.

            “You talked to him?” Woozi said. The three of you were not looking at the figure in the doorway. He was staring at the three of you, all of you turned away from his heavy gaze.

            “Yes, I overheard him talking to some of the members of the other team, they were saying how they were going to break Dino’s arm.”

            “Break his arm?” Woozi almost yelled, “Damn it, we need to get Dino out of the game.”

            The game was already in full play. One of the boys who you recognized from the hallway was blocking Dino. Dino jumped around, the kid towering over him. The kid was eyeing Dino’s feet, moving quickly. The kid went into a pretend dodge from Dino and his foot swiped towards Dino’s. Dino jumped back before the kid succeeded in knocking him to the ground.

            “Dino!” Coups was yelling.

            Dino’s  eyes twitched whenever Coups yelled but refused to make contact. Dino had the ball. Woozi was yelling too. Dino dribbled down the court surrounded by members. His teammates were yelling at him, too. Dino gritted his teeth and jumped up in a shoot.

            The basketball missed the net and bounced off of the backboard. One of the guys from the other team jumped up and caught the flying ball. The other side of the gym cheered as as the group ran to the other side of the court, led by the other team. The guy shot and scored against Dino’s team.

            Dino was red in the face, “Stop yelling at me!” He yelled across the court to Coups, “it’s distracting.”

            Coups was waving down the coach, pointing at Dino with a strong finger then raised his arms over his head to form an x. Coups’ expression was grave. Dino looked at Coups in surprise. “What are you-?” Dino yelled back, waving his arms in the air.

            The coach sent a wary look to Coups, Coups nodded shortly, and called for a time out. The team of boys immediately surrounded their coach, but the coach pushed past them and made his way to the bleachers.

            “Cheol, what’s wrong?” The coach said gruffly. Half of the team was looking at Coups, half glaring at Dino.

            “Dino needs to be pulled out of the game, he can’t play anymore.” Coups said stiffly shoving his hands in his pocket.

            “B-but-“ The Coach looked at Coups with wide eyes. “But Dino is one of our best defenders.”
            “You need to bench him.” Coups demanded with a strong will. “I’m his guardian. He can’t play today.”

            “The game has already started.” The coach fiddled with his whistle, glancing back at the boys. Dino was glaring at Coups, arms clenched at his side, eyes narrowed.

            “Bench him. I’m his legal guardian. I decide when he plays or not.”

            The coach sighed heavily and ruffled his hair. “Fine then, Cheol. But I expect you to buy the next time we go out for drinks.” He gave a dark expression. “A lot of drinks.”

            “Of course.” Coups said stiffly.

            The coach walked back on to the court, and pointed at Dino mumbling something.

            “What?!” Dino yelled, and his furious face glared back at Coups, standing cross armed. “But I am-“ Dino’s voice was the loudest in the room.

            The coach held up a hand and Dino pursed his lips. Dino stormed off, his face a hot shade of pink, the coach tried to go after him but Dino pushed the adult away with both of his hands. The other side of the court gasped as Dino walked by, swearing profusely. 

            “No one tell Dino about the boss trying to break his arm.” Coups sighed stressfully. “It would just scare him.”

            “He isn’t going to understand.” Woozi said. “He is going to hate you.”

            “He already hates me.” Coups said. “Rather he hates me than have him with a cast.”

            “He’s trying to get my attention.” Woozi murmured. The Boss was still glaring at the group, just a hint of a smile on his face.

            “Don’t go.” You said quickly, “He is doing this so you talk to him—don’t.”

            “He tried to break Dino’s arm!” Woozi said, his brows lowered.

            You sighed. “Fine, but just a warning he has a gun. But don’t worry, its just for show, it’s not actually loaded.”

            Woozi and Coups both looked at you warily. “I don’t want to know how you know its not loaded.” Woozi said slowly. “I should just go.”

            You grabbed Woozi’s arm. “Are you sure?”

            “He won’t hurt me, remember? We used to be trainees together, he still thinks of me as a friend.”

            “You told her?” Coups said.

            “It was a conversation.” Woozi shrugged, “I’m going.”

            “Text us when you’re done. We won’t leave without you.” Coups said.

            Woozi strode over to the boss and the two faded into the darkened hallway.

            By the time Woozi returned, the game was almost done and it had taken all that time to find Dino. When Dino was found, he was initiating a fight with a kid two years younger than him. Coups quickly broke up the scene but Dino didn’t go voluntarily. It took both

Coups and DK wrestling Dino down the school hallways just to get him out into the parking lot.

            “I HATE YOU!” Dino screamed. Coups had his grip tight on Dino’s left forearm, DK held the other. Dino was growling and skidding on his heels, desperate traction under his feet to resist. He kicked at Coups like a madman. “LET ME GO! I HATE YOU!”

            “Settle down.” Coups said dully, grunting under Dino’s strength.

           You were walking behind them, ready to intervene if Dino managed to break free. It was dark outside now, thick murky clouds covered the sky.

           Dino gnashed his teeth as they pulled him to the van. Coups and DK held Dino still for a minute. Dino’s erratic breathing slowed down and he stopped fighting. Coups’ hand loosened from his arm. “Are you going to be calm now-“

            Coups didn’t have time to answer. Dino snatched his arm away from Coups’ grasp and tried to break out into a run. DK held onto Dino with a forceful grip. “LET GO OF ME DK!” Dino yelled. His voice was the only noise in the quiet school parking lot.

“Get in the car.” Coups said warningly, his expression dark as he grabbed onto Dino again.

            “YOU NEVER LET ME DO ANYTHING!” Dino yelled, thrashing against the two holds. Both of the college students struggled to keep the high school student restrained.

            “Dino,” DK’s voice was soft and logical. “You need to calm down. Please, stop this.”

            “Get in the car, Dino.” Coups said forcefully, his breath bated as he fought to keep Dino’s twisting limbs within grasp.

            “IT WAS MY FIRST GAME!” Dino’s arm slipped from Coups’ grasp. DK tried to pull Dino back, but DK wasn’t strong enough to keep Dino from making a wild swing at Coups. Coups bent back to dodge the close blow, but fell in the process.

            “DINO!” DK yanked him back. “Calm down!

           “LET ME GO!” Dino’s eyes were like fire, he thrashed against DK. DK refused to budge.

           Dino’s fists clenched and threw a fist a DK. The punch hit DK on his left eyebrow. DK yelled. You ran towards them, yelling things at Dino.

           DK removed his hands off of Dino in a instant. “DUDE!” DK screamed, holding his eye. “You need to calm down RIGHT NOW!” You almost reached them.

           Whack. Dino punched DK again with a yell of blinding rage. The second swung hit DK’s nose. There was a sick crack and DK fell down to his knees, grasping his face and screaming as you desperately pulled Dino away.

           “Hey!” You yelled, one hand fisted around Dino’s collar. DK was on the ground, holding his nose. It was getting dark now, but it wasn’t dark enough to see the liquid seeping out from the cracks in between DK’s fingers. “What the hell are you thinking?”

            “LET GO OF ME!” Dino raged, veins budging from his arms. He threw another punch in your direction. You grabbed his wrist and twisted it around his back. “Are you ready to be calm now?” You hissed through your teeth. Coups had gotten back to his feet and was about help restrain him before a voice screamed across the lot.

            “What the Dino?” A person bolted across the darkened parking lot. You recognized the white headband under the bleached-dyed hair.

           “Are you okay?” Hoshi ran to DK, panic consuming his face. DK was lying on his hands and knees, head bent as liquid dropped from his face onto the black pavement. Hoshi put his hands under DK’s armpits and helped him up. Hoshi examined his face- a fresh line of blood flowed down his nose and and dripped off of the bottom of his chin. DK also was sporting a fresh purple eye.

           Hoshi asked something under his breath. DK moaned a nasally response, eyes pressed shut with pain. Dino had stopped fighting back against the holds, his eyes were fixed on Hoshi’s worried expression.

           When Hoshi looked at Dino, it was as if Hoshi was staring at the stranger. “What the , Dino?” Hoshi said quietly.

            Hoshi traveled within a few steps of Dino within second. Dino was wide eyed and spluttering. “N-no, it’s not what it-”

            “Did you hit DK?” Hoshi brows were caving into towards the bridge of his nose. His lips pulled downward in an inaudible gasp.

            Dino’s limbs went weak. You removed your grip, and Dino’s hand fell loosely at his side.

Dino flushed white. “Hoshi-“

            “You hit DK? Not to mention you almost hit everyone here!” Hoshi’s voice was laced with venom.

            “T-they pulled me out of the game.” Dino’s voice cracked. The words were defensive but the tone already knew defeat.

            “Coups did. DK and she didn’t. Even so, you don’t punch someone for it.” Hoshi’s eyes were drowning in disappointment. “Seriously….”

            “Hoshi, you have to understand-“ Dino begged, all anger gone from his face. His soft eyes returning, now desperate. “I-it wasn’t me.”

            “Lies, Dino.” Hoshi sighed. “All the stuff that Coups said you do at the apartment, I thought it was all exaggerated. You were always fine around me.”

            “Coups does exaggerate things.” Dino pleaded, taking one step forward.

            Hoshi took two steps back. “Oh, so are you going to try to lie your way out of this one as well?” Hoshi looked dead behind his eyes.

            Dino said nothing. His mouth opened and closed like a fish gasping for water.

            “We have so much to deal with right now, Dino! We don’t need you freaking out over a stupid basketball game.”

            “Hoshi, just listen-.“ Dino started desperately.

            “I’ve listened to you Dino!” Hoshi said. “Too long I’ve just listened. Now I need to talk. And I am saying what you did is not okay.”

            “DK is fine.” Dino’s face was morphed with guilt. “Please.” Dino took a step forward, DK took a step back.

            “You know what is going on.” Hoshi’s lips were curled back. “With Joshua. We don’t need any more fights.”

            “It was an accident!” Dino yelled. “I’m sorry.”

            “Sorry’s can only fix so many things. You crossed the line.” Hoshi looked cold into Dino’s pleading eyes. “You hurt my friends.”

            It began to rain. The heavy droplets clumped Hoshi’s bangs together wetly.  Dino’s eyes widened slowly, the raindrops flicking off of his eyelashes. Dino’s mouth parted slightly, his nose crinkled under raised eyebrows. You knew what he was thinking without having to ask.

“Y-your friends?” Dino’s voice cracked.

            Hoshi was standing a car length away from Dino, the distance foreign between the two brothers. “DK was my friend long before I met you Dino” Hoshi’s voice was determined. Hoshi grabbed the end of his shirt and pulled it up. He whipped off the damp t-shirt over his head and threw it to the ground, teeth flashing. “I’ve tried to help you. But I see you can’t change.” Hoshi’s voice was final.

            Dino’s small eyes trailed down the t-shirt. The words CHAN bleeding of the fabric in a dark puddle around it. His eyes glazed over, transfixed on the t-shirt; watching his own name disintegrate. Rain trickled down his forehead.

            Silence had never felt so loud. The rain was pouring but no one made any movement to shield themselves. Hoshi eyes moved to the corner, his head slowly turning behind him. DK stood behind Hoshi, bent over and groaning. Hoshi took a step towards him, murmuring something that the rain overpowered.

            Dino’s eyes were locked on the t-shirt. The support that Hoshi put into making it was bleeding away with the very words. All the work was gone- in every sense of the word.

            “Hoshi.” Dino said simply. Hoshi’s back was to Dino, looking at DK’s purpling eye.

            Hoshi slowly turned back to DK, a hand on his shoulder. DK was looking at the ground hands on his nose. You were standing off to the side, the only one looking at Dino.

             “Hoshi.” Dino called his name desperately, waiting for a response.

            Dino didn’t move as the rain drenched him. He looked at Hoshi, his nostrils flaring. His eyes slowly moved form Hoshi to the t-shirt lying in between them.

           Dino shuttered, his body doubling over and he sank to his knees. One hand grasping the sopping t-shirt. His head bowed over the shirt. Dino staggered up, staring blankly back at the group, the black ink from the shirt dripped over his hands.  Dino didn’t even see that you were looking at him, his unwavering eyes were on Hoshi.

           Hoshi turned his head sideways, not even giving Dino a whole glance. His head stayed there for a fraction of a second, the wheels turning over in his head.

           “Go find your parents, Dino.”

            The shirt slipped from in-between Dino’s fingers. He turned around and bolted away through the parking lot.
            “DINO!” You screamed. You pushed against Hoshi’s shoulder but Hoshi didn’t look up. “Go after him.” You ordered.

            Hoshi didn’t say anything. His eyes were fixed on DK. DK was avoiding the gaze and staring at the ground, watching as the blood dripped onto his own shoes.

            “Hoshi!” You yelled, your face glimmered wetly in the moonlight.

“Let him go.” Hoshi said, a dead look in his eyes.

            You took a step back. “What are you saying? This is Dino.”

            “We need to get DK to the hospital. His nose is broken.” The voice was missing concern.

            “Dino needs you!” you screamed. You felt the break in your heart has heavily as Dino felt it. It echoed in your bones. “You need to go after him!”

            “He isn’t going to change. He was brat when I first took him in and he’s remained the same” Hoshi voice rose in the quiet. “It’s no use trying. He’s a nut case.”

            “You don’t mean that.” You said determinedly, shaking your head. Your brows furrowed under your narrowed eyes.

            Hoshi turned to DK, a firm grip on his shoulder. Hoshi mumbled something that was drowned out by the gloomy rain that cast a foggy filter over everything.

            The urge to scream pulled at your throat. No one was looking at you anymore.  Your mind had faded to a numb blank before your legs carried you across the parking lot.

            You ran across parking lot, feet pounding against the pitch wet pavement Rain blinded your vision, you pulled your hood up as you followed the path Dino had just laid. You came to a stop, now face to face with trees that morphed into a dark forest.

            If he returned, you swore you would give him your paintbrushes. If he returned you would give him an art lesson everyday. The trees glistened against the rain, a scene from a movie. This was no movie. A sixteen-year-old boy was hiding behind it’s screen. That’s all he was: a boy.

            “DINO!” you screamed at the trees. “DINO!”

            Going after him would be hard. It was dark and wet. Dino would be long gone. But you couldn’t just leave him.

            “COME BACK!” a voice yelled. Hope rose in your chest for a second but when you turned around you saw the voice was aimed at you, not Dino. In the distance Woozi was standing next to the three of them, waving for you to come closer.

            “WE’RE ALL GOING TO FREEZE IF WE STAY IN THE RAIN LIKE THIS!” Woozi yelled

            The collection of trees was thick. You heard no sign of Dino. The wind whistled as it tossed the trees’ branches around.

            You heard the van engine start and rumble closer until the headlights shed light on the dense forest in front of you. The lights failed to show any reflection of a basketball jersey.

            “Get in.” The nasally voice was DK’s.

            “We have to go after him.” You said, your soaking hair sticking to your forehead.

            “Dino is a tough kid, he’ll be fine.”

            You blinked away the droplets of rain. You took a hesitant step forward.

            Woozi said. “It’s just-“

            “Go.” You ordered forcefully

            A door slid open and the yellow lights from the van’s interior exposed your pale bare feet on the rough broken down concrete. “Come, it’s not safe.” Woozi’s hot breath stung against your icy, rain-bitten skin.

            “Safe.” You breathed half heartedly, eyes darting around the forest. Your eyes were desperate for just a glimpse of the orange jersey.

            Woozi’s thumb rubbed on your drenched t-shirt clinging to your frame. “There a gang leader who is quite fond of you and he frequents these parts. Let’s go.” His fingers curled gently around your shoulder and gently pulled back.

            You pushed back against his pull. “No.” 

            Woozi sighed, his hot breath vaporizing in the cold rain. “Please don’t make me-“

            “You touch me and I’ll rip your fingers off.” You snapped.

            “Think logically-“

            “I am!” You yelled. “It’s cold. He’s sixteen.”

            “Even if we managed to track him down under these conditions, he would still refuse to come back. He’s too stubborn, you know that.”

            The wood’s breathed, the trails of the branches flowing in the wind. You looked down at your bare feet, pinched in a sting under the bits of gravel. Woozi’s feet were placed behind you. Your two figures cast a blue shadow onto the trees.

            You turned around quickly, shoulder hitting against Woozi’s chest abruptly. You stomped to the van. Hoshi was sitting in the drivers seat, staring blankly in front of him           

            “You ed up.” You whispered to Hoshi as you took your seat on the floor.

            No one spoke the entire car ride home. You hoped that the guilt of Dino’s absence was heavy enough to be eating them up inside. Everyone was looking down at their feet, no one made eye contact with one another. The group was spaced out evenly, no one was touching another person. The rain dripped to a stop, revealing the heavy silence weighing down on everyone’s’ shoulder. The whole group sat in the backseat. Coups faced the corner of the van, his hunched shoulders began to shake. His head dropped into his hands and he cracked into a sob. Coups wails vibrated the van’s walls.

           No one extended a hand to comfort him.