Chapter Thirty Five

The Roommate

 

           Twenty-one days.

            Woozi had twenty-one days before the gang members would come to destroy everything that you had watched flourished around you. On the day, Woozi warned the whole apartment to be out of the house under the pretense of an exterminator coming. Only you knew the truth that the poison did not lie within the instruments the people were bringing, but instead within the toxic space they would leave behind.

            With the group in shambles, DK was struggling to lift his cheeks to a smile, you couldn’t bear to think how more difficult the gesture would become once Woozi was absent. Hoshi worried you more than anyone else, fearing after Woozi’s leaving, his drinking habits increase to dangerous levels.

            Woozi’s last request left you feeling the way right when you realize there is one more step left. The lurch in your stomach at the surprise coupled with tensing bracing you for impact. You felt that, waiting for the blowing reaction of the other guys not being helplessly held at gunpoint by a promise you had made.

            Through the tears and consolidation you offered, Woozi snottily asked you to keep everything to until the contract was fulfilled. The tears, the man sitting in the bed, the betrayal of Joshua- all had to wait until twenty-one days passed.

            Everything revolved, everything started at ended after twenty-one days. Time had never felt so slippery.

            Coups lingered around the apartment more often. First, you supposed he suspected something about Woozi’s strangely apathetic attitude. As days passed, every day Coups reappearing, you knew the apartment had become an escape from his. In Coups apartment, every object was a memory reminding Coups of Dino’s absence.

            As a patient, Dino had rights. He had rights to deny visitation of his guardian. Under a mental health program, a patient could reject visitors under the pretense the visitation would cause mental distress.

Dino did. The one name that Dino gave permission to come visit him was Hoshi. You thought this was strange. Even though Hoshi had denounced him, Dino still was unwavering in his loyalty. You just wished that Dino would see that Coups’ had always had Dino’s best intentions at heart. Coups had only acted like every other parent: setting rules and giving punishments and rewards.

            Still. No one had seen Dino since the hospital.

           

            Woozi was sitting on the small couch, talking to Coups about the bike shop casually, guitar on knee. The kitchen floor was cold through your socks, you played with the scraps of food on your plate to excuse your presence at the kitchen table.

            “The replacement isn’t the same,” Coups said, propping up his large work-boots on the coffee table. “He screwed up an oil change yesterday. Seriously! Even Dino considered that boring work.”

            “They’re aren’t a lot of mechanics in this town,” Woozi said, looking down as he strummed a faint tune. “I don’t know what you expected.”

            “My father stopped by yesterday,” Coups said. “He is wanting to put up another bike shop in the town over.”

            “Is that so?” Woozi said softly, brows furrowing. He played the same three seconds worth of cords over and over again. Each time ending differently. Woozi stuck his tongue out, displeased with each ending after the next.

            “He’ll be moving over there to keep an eye out on the new location,” Coups said. “He’ll be away so I’m getting promoted.”

            Woozi looked up. “You’ll be the manager?”

            “Owner,” Coups said. “Well, co-owner technically.”

            Woozi grinned slightly, “You’ll get a raise?”

            “Big one,” Coups said. “Thinking about buying a bike. I’ll have the salary to upkeep one now.”    

            “Still keeping the van?” Woozi said.

            Coups grimaced. “I think it’s time she took a rest. She’s been hard running for six years.”

            “I think she needs a van, you could give it to her.” Woozi nodded in your direction. Coups looked at you humorously.

            You smiled nervously, turning your attention back to your food quickly. Woozi knew you hated the van, it hardly could run without making you feel like the seat was going to be ejected.

            “Last time she was in my van she complained the whole time about the safety,” he raised an eyebrow at you. “Do you want her?”

            “Possibly, let’s see how the end of his semester ends first.” You said pointedly, eyes fixed on Woozi.

            He started strumming on the guitar, ignoring your discrete jab. Your lip curled as Coups changed the topic smoothly, unaware of the heavy tension.

            “Is Hoshi here?” Coups said, as DK walked into the living room, three in the afternoon and still wearing his pajamas.

            “I don’t even know these days,” DK shrugged, his lips pulling down as his hand disappeared into the cupboard and resurfaced with a box of cereal. “Maybe at the club, maybe passed out in a park like yesterday.”

            Coups groaned and turned to you, “Any word from Joshua either?”

            “None,” you grunted, stabbing a piece of spinach.

            Woozi played with an increasingly sour expression. Coups sighed, nudging him, “Come on guys, don’t be so depressing.”

            DK’s eyebrows furrowed. Woozi looked up from his guitar. “When have you been so cheerful?”

            “What’s the alternative?” Coups said, “Becoming a hobbit and locking myself in my room all day?”

            “Better be cheery than have another one of her in the house. I can never get any privacy. What, can you not open the front door or something?” Woozi grunted.

            You were too glad that Woozi was feeling well enough to bicker to say anything negative back.

            “Just you wait, next year we’ll have a house. I doubt the hobbit-ing will get any better with a full screen TV inside.” DK said lightly.

            “Ah, so you joining too? I never knew you agreed.” Coups said, looking over his propped up feet

            Woozi looked up, fingers moving away from the cords slightly. The skin tightened around his forehead.

            “I’ll move in if Woozi does.”

            Woozi’s eyes darted down, fumbling to resume his playing on the guitar. Coups and DK didn’t give the sentence a second thought and returned to what they were previously occupying themselves with.

            Coups stayed for dinner. Knowing what you knew about Woozi’s soon-to-be absence, made every moment heavier. The passing jokes Woozi made about leaving, were cruel with hindsight. Woozi’s jabs at the old gang leader that made Coups hold his stomach in laughter, made your stomach tighten. This would be probably the last time he could joke around about this stuff without getting hit.

            If only Woozi would confide in his friends. The knowledge resting solely on you, was nothing short of a fiery burden that singed you every time you were reminded. Twenty-one days. How could his friends live in such blissful ignorance? They should be scraping away at every last second they could get with him. Weren’t they aware of the ever-ticking clock, chipping away at the minutes they had left?

            “Stop looking at me like that,” Woozi grunted, back within the safe walls of your room.

            You turned away quickly, suddenly aware you were staring. “I wasn’t.” You muttered, “You want to do anything today?”

            The skin between Woozi’s eyebrows crinkled. “Why? Do you want to do something or something?”

            “It might be nice.” You said, “It looks nice out.” You looked out the window. The crisp chill of winter had melted away into the early weeks of summer. The forecast only had so long before the lazy days became scorching.

            “You’ve never wanted to do anything with me before,” Woozi said, already pulling a light jacket on. “Outside, at least.”

            “It would be nice,” you said. “To hang out at least before you-“

            “I’ve already got my coat on. I’m not complaining,” Woozi said, striding out before the words could fall out. “I’ll be waiting when you are ready.”

            The ride downtown was nothing short of tense. It was hard to easily enjoy moments like these when the looming future seemed to be dripping off every moment. The conversation was casual- too causal in fear if any of you spoke for too long that it would lead to other uncomfortable topics. The bus ride was a forced, calculated normal.

            The two of you got off when the bus reached downtown. Woozi looked at you with raised eyebrows, waiting for you to make the first move. You didn’t say anything when you grabbed him by the sleeve of his coat and started walking toward the cluster of shops.

            You weaved in between the crowd that flooded the busy downtown streets. You turned the corner and as soon as you did so, Woozi let out a laugh as his eye laid on the sign.

            “I though you were lactose-intolerant.” He said, slipping out of your grip with his eyes on the Ice Cream Shoppe sign.

            “I didn’t think you would remember.” You said, “I enjoy their sherbet.”

            “How can I not?” Woozi moaned, as you opened the door for him. “With you about it every few days.”

            You approached the man behind the counter and gave him your card quickly. Woozi shot you a surprised look. “My treat,” you said shortly. “Get what you want.”

            Woozi smiled peevishly, eyeing the expensive quart sized containers. For sure, you expected him to get the priciest thing on the menu just to spite your kindness, but he went up to the counter he asked the man for two scoops of mint chip.

            “Thanks,” Woozi said, the two of you walked out of the shop side-by-side with cones in hand. “Want to stop by that coffee shop you always go to?”

            You agreed, fully appreciating his effort of trying to make the day less awkward.

            The warm feeling of the coffee shop was a perfect hideout to eat the chilled treats. You sat down in the regular seats that normally were reserved for the hipster and you.

            You missed him. The idiot, stupid-faced, er did possibly the worst thing and you still couldn’t resist the temptation to keep calling him. Did that make you a bad person? You didn’t hate him, even though the circumstances definitely called for it.

            Woozi looked out the window, his shard jaw casting a hard shadow in his neck. His hair was tied up in a bun. Dressed in all black, his pale skin popped out in the warm toned, sun-light café. Woozi didn’t hate Joshua. If nothing else, you were sure that Woozi’s feelings for Joshua hadn’t changed at all. If so, Woozi’s first instinct would had been so sacrificial at the sound of what Joshua was doing.

            “I don’t want you to go.”

            Woozi pursed his lips, closing his eyes and rubbed his forehead, “And here I thought we were just going to have a peaceful day.”

            “It’s true,” You said, the soft words underlying with a rough growl.

            “Well, what would you have me do?” Woozi said, dropping the hand from his face, looking exasperated.

            “Don’t go.”

            “And leave Joshua to lead that life?”

            “No.”

            “Those are the only options.” Woozi sighed. “Someone has to lose. Its only fitting it’s me.”

Woozi’s narrowed eyes. His already pale face drained of all color and he stood up so quickly his chair squeaked as it was pushed back.

“Woozi, what-?” You turned around, followed his eye line that he was trained on. Your heart stopped.

            Joshua had just walked in. Whether it was circumstance or fate, you didn’t know, all you knew is a million emotions were rushing to you with one glance. A month of missed called and unreturned messages and here he was.

            If Woozi hadn’t looked alarmed and drew attention to the figure, you wouldn’t had known it was Joshua.

           His face was bare without his glasses. His hair a strange sight without a beanie. The weather outside had warranted him to wear shorts, something you had never seen him in before, even at the beginning of the year. His shirts that previously had bright colors and characters from TV shows were replaced with a plain dull black. The shirt he was tight on his arms, the budges of muscle tensed the normally hanging fabric. His jaw was more defined- stronger.

            “Joshua,” Woozi said, watching as Joshua easily walked passed them.

            Joshua’s head turned around to look at Woozi. Slowly, his gaze moved past him and landed on you.

            “Hello,” His voice was formal. The words nothing short of politeness offered to a passing stranger.

            You stood up, almost dropping your cone in your lap as you did so. Woozi took a step forward. It was as if Woozi was seeing a ghost.

            “Wh-,” Woozi was at a loss for words. “What are you doing here?”

            Joshua raised an eyebrow up, looking at Woozi in annoyance. “What does it look like?” The hostile tone was off-putting.

            “Joshua,” You said, stepping beside Woozi. Joshua turned his gaze away as you neared him. “I’ve got things to do.” He dismissed you, gripping the bag at his side closer to his chest. “I’ll see you later.”

            “When?” You said sharply, not willing to get him away that easily. “I’m free next week.” You weren’t. But you were willing to lie to prove a point.

            “I don’t know,” Joshua rolled his eyes. “Just not right now, okay?” From his rude tone, it was clear you were inconveniencing him.

            “I just wanted to talk to you-“ Woozi’s voice had never been softer.

            “Well, I can’t.” Joshua said harshly. “Not now, okay?”

             “Drop the attitude,”  You said firmly, “We just want to see how you’ve been.” You reached out a hand and rested it on his shoulder

            “I’ve been fine, okay?” Joshua said, stepping away and hissing as if your hand had burned if. “Geez, I’ve got places to be.” Joshua turned to the counter, about to take his place in line.

            “Joshua!” You said it so loudly, people at the nearby tables turned their head to look.

            Joshua whipped around, eyebrow twitching. “Shut it.” He hissed at you.

            The chill in his voice burned your chest. “Don’t talk to me that way,” You said.

            “Joshua,” The voice wasn’t yours and based off of Woozi’s stoic face, it hadn’t been him either. Joshua pressed his eyes shut, lip curling up as if in pain. His face relaxed, cleared of all emotion before turning around.

            “Boss,” Joshua said firmly. The boss stood up from a table in the corner of the coffee shop. Another younger man was with him and based off of his defensive stance, he was probably a bodyguard.

            The boss squared his shoulders, his pointed shoes clicked as lead him to where you stood. His black eyes priced yours, then Woozi and lastly to Joshua.

            “I’ve been waiting for twenty minutes,” the boss said stiffly, his heavily hooded eyes baring down on him. “You’re late.”

            “I know,” Joshua’s eyes went down to his hands carefully folded over his front. “I’m sorry. The bus was behind schedule.”

            “This is your third time being late,” the boss said. Woozi unconsciously took a step back. The back of his shoulder grazed yours. “One would think you don’t want to be here.” The boss said with a playful smile.

            “I do want to be here, sir.” Joshua said in monotone. “I suggest we conduct business outside.” Joshua didn’t even glance back at you.

            “You are not in the position to suggest anything,” the boss said lowly. He looked over Joshua’s shoulder at you and Woozi and smiled. “My old friends.”

            “We should go,” Woozi said more to the boss than to you.

            “Why go? A reunion like this only happens once,” The boss extended a hand out to you but you stepped away from the handshake. The boss clucked his tongue, turning his head slightly.

            You wanted to go, get far away from this boss and the destruction that followed everyone he had contact with. But you couldn’t tear your eyes away from Joshua. The month of radio silence made sense seeing him now in this light. The muscles, and the general aura that was radiating off of him was stranger than you could’ve guessed.

            “Josh and I were about to have a meeting, care to join us?” He spoke to Woozi. Woozi stared directly at him, eyes dead with obedience.

            “I have to decline,” Woozi said respectfully, hands fisted at his sides. “We have plans today.”

            Joshua’s brows furrowed, looking in-between the two men speaking so causally to each other. You figured it must be more than weird for Joshua to see Woozi speaking so calmly to a man he hated so passionately. If only he knew the plot being strung under the surface.

            “I’ll see you in twenty two days,” the boss shook his head, smiling giddily. “Silly me, it’s twenty now.” He took a step forward, intruding on Woozi’s space. “Unless the deal is off that is?”

            “Things haven’t changed since we last agreed.” Woozi said dully.

            “Feel free to back out any time,” the boss said. “I always have a backup if you out.”

            “What?” Joshua said to the boss, leaning in.

            The boss looked at Joshua dangerously, eye brows lowered and mouth frowning. One the boss’ men standing behind him grunted aloud and with a gesture from the boss, Joshua was grabbed by the guard. The guard dragged him by his upper forearm outside.

            “Excuse him, he is quite simple minded at times,” The boss said, relaxing his expression. “He hasn’t learned not to ask questions yet. But he’ll learn”

            Woozi tensed, “I thought you weren’t going through the training process with him.”

            “I never said I wasn’t,” the boss replied easily. “The deal isn’t final until you come in with your stuff. If you bail, what am I left with? You have to think of this through a business perspective. I need to have backup man.”

            “I won’t bail,” Woozi said, wide-eyed, glancing outside. Joshua and the guard were nowhere to be seen. Woozi’s almost fearful expression informed you that Joshua’s little mistake would result in a harsh and immediate punishment.

            “Don’t worry about the little ,” the boss scoffed, looking very unhappy. “Josh will catch on. He won’t be in the punishment stage for much longer.”

            “ you,” you hissed under your breath. Fist tightening.

            “I’m sorry? Could you repeat that? I couldn’t hear you.” The boss cupped a hand to his ear leaning it towards you. He smiled at you warmly, inviting you to snap out at him. In a sick way, you think he would enjoy it if you did.

            “Don’t,” You didn’t know if Woozi was saying this to you or to him. Either way, Woozi his heels walked out the door.

            “See you soon, Jihoon!” The boss called after him, but Woozi was already outside of the door. You pretended to hear the name as you followed his footsteps out.

            Both of you left the ice cream melting on the seats.

 

 

 

           This time, ride back to the apartment wasn’t awkward. Although the PDA between the two of you surprised you more than it did the other passengers, they gave you snarled looks all the same. As soon as you sat down, Woozi rested his head on your shoulder, his hand on your upper forearm. Woozi didn’t notice the glares at all. His eyes were glazed over, clouded over in thought. The corners of lips dragged down as he rested his head on your shoulder.

           The gentle rocking of the bus made Woozi sink father into you. Woozi’s breathing slowed and after a few minutes in silence, his lids slowly fluttered close. By the time the bus driver pulled to a stop at your street, Woozi was deep in slumber.

           The bus driver’s eyes looked at the pair of you expectantly through the upperhead mirror. You slowly nodded, signaling the bus to keep going. The bus doors closed and route started again. It was better this way. You weren’t about to disrupt the only decent sleep your roommate had gotten in a month.

           The bus moved in routine. An hour passed, the view of the apartment was framed through the bus’s window, Woozi still remained unmoving on your shoulder. You denied getting off again. The second time you also passed the offer up. And the third. Fourth. Fifth

           The descending sun did not encourage you to move. Even when the light disappeared behind the skyline of trees, you ensured he remained undisturbed. The muscles in your shoulders ached to move, but that you didn’t allow.

           Nine months of living with Woozi, and everything would end in twenty days. When Woozi joined the gang and everyone found out, you feared what would happen. The already stressed relationship might crumble at the pressure. Joshua would surely hate himself over what happened. Everyone else would hate Joshua for doing it.

           At the beginning of the school year, you started with nothing- not a contact in your cell phone. Not person to rely.

           You looked down at Woozi.           

           You really must have the worst luck. Your whole life has been an ongoing example of murphy’s law. Your best friend gets involved in the very thing that drove you to this town in the first place. Next, it’s your roommate. Nothing in your life is safe from your own misfortune.

           Your forehead pulled back as Woozi breathed heavily on your shoulder.

           You’d be dammed if you would let any of this be taken away from you. Before this year, the only drive in you keeping you going was survival instinct. Now had stopped merely surviving and started living.

           The peace knowing you had people who cared about you and people you possibly loved- was unlike anything you had ever known.  These people, you would cling to them until your fingers were pried off, wet and bloodied. All the struggles in your life would feel worth it if you were able to stay with them: DK, Hoshi, even Coups and Dino. Joshua. Woozi.

           Outside, the greenish glow of streetlights shinned down on downtown’s nightlife. Your eyes followed each streetlight as they passed.

           Eating stones would be easier than standing by and watching Woozi go back to the very gang that destroyed him.

           It was as you watched the lights when it came to you. The thought came to you, burning your heading pure clarity. It was stupid you admit, but some would argue you weren’t stupid enough to at least try.

           What was the worse that could happen, you die? There was a time when every day you woke up begging to be cradled in death’s arms. If you were to go, it would only be fitting that you go trying to save the people that made you fear death, rather than welcome it.

           Gently, you slipped Woozi’s head off of your shoulder and propped him up against the window. His unconscious form didn’t show any sign of disturbance as you stood up. You walked to the front of the dark bus.

           “Can you drop me off at this light?” You swallowed hard before speaking to the driver.

           You saw Woozi through the driver’s mirror. He was alone behind the rows and rows of empty seats.

           The driver nodded as he pulled a lever. The bus creaked to a stop. You nodded to the driver and stepped off. The concrete was strangely cold through the thin soles of your shoes. The bus doors squeaked close, and as the light turned green, the bus drove on.

           “Forgive me, Woozi,” You said, pulling out your phone. You pressed the numbers on the screen and lifted the phone to your ear. It rang once.

           “Who is this,” You had forgotten how sharp his voice was. 

           “I have some information regarding the person you know as ‘A’.” You said, deepening your voice.

           A creaking sound. You could picture the old chair he always sat in. “What information?”

           “First, what is in it for me?” Cars whizzed past as you walked along sidewalk.

           “Any information that will result in her capture can have up to two-hundred thousand reward.” He said, “Surely, you are aware if you call.”

           “And if I deliver to you personally?” You said, walking across the street.

           “Who are you?” Tick’s voice was ever so skeptical.

           “If I deliver to you personally would the price go up?”

           “Depends if she would be alive.”
            “She would,” You said strictly. Eyeing the apartment complex in front of you.

           “Then we could make a deal,” Tick’s words were muffled, hard to understand from what you knew was the cigarettes in his mouth. God, you hated those things.

           “Offer me a deal,” You said, voice hurting from disguising it. “Or I’ll let her go.”

           “Two-hundred, fifty-thousand,” The voice said.

           “Such a low offer for such a high profile fugitive.”  You droned, “I wonder what the other gangs would give me.”

           “Three-hundred thousand,” Tick said quickly.

           “Make it four.” You said, coming up to entrance of the building.

           “Three-fifty.”

           “Four.”

           The voice on the other end sighed heavily, “I can do that.”

           “Expect me soon.” You hung up quickly.

            You stepped over the threshold and walked passed the doors lining the first floor. You stopped near the end of the hallway and knocked on the door.

            The door opened. He stood in his boxers and tousled hair, he squinted at you groggily.

            “What are you doing here?” Coups’ voice cracked, “It’s almost midnight.”

            “I need your van,” you said quickly. “I have to borrow it for a few days.”

            “Right now?” Coups rubbed his eyes, mouth stretching open in a yawn.

            “It’s an emergency,” You said, feeling antsy. You fiddled with the end of your shirt, fighting the growing anxiousness. Were you actually doing this?

            “Is everything okay?” Coups said, leaning out of view from the door framed and coming back with keys in hand.

            “Everything’s fine,” You said. “Sorry to disturb you, but I should go.” You jotted down the hall before Coups could close his door.

            “Don’t do anything stupid!” Coups yelled back at you.

            You rounded back across the parking lot, waiting at the bus stop. The bus arrived several minutes later with Woozi still in the back.

            “Don’t kill me for this,” You said, hoisting him up by his elbows. The blonde was so tired he barely stirred when as you dragged him across the parking lot.

            His unresponsiveness may have had something to do with the sleeping pill you popped in his mouth before you retrieved him from the bus, still, you rolled him into the back of the van all the same.

           

 

 

Thank you guys for always being so supportive. A while ago, I included some background about Dino and all of you said you would want me to do it again.

So since the story is coming to an end- I thought I would do some background on each character

 

HOSHI

‘Soon’ grew up in an extremely rich family. The instant satisfaction of being wealthy lead him to become greedy later. DK’s mother and Hoshi’s met during birthing class where both were eager to spending time with women their own age. Under pretenses of ‘kids dates’, DK and Hoshi grew up spending every weekend together. Hoshi’s father was constantly overseas for businesses and his mother craved a companion. DK’s mother, who was not as finically blessed, was not going to decline the offer of extravagant weekends away. What started out as a somewhat shallow relationship turned into a lifelong friendship of their children.

DK was the first to receive dance lessons. Hating it originally, he invited Hoshi along so the two could mock the stupid class together. However, Hoshi fell in love with the class instantly. This starting Hoshi’s drive for dance.

            Hoshi had everything. Three other siblings that looked up to him, a future with no limitations for money or connections. Up until 14, Hoshi was at a public school, sitting next to DK every day. Once, he turned fifteen, Hoshi was sent to a privileged ‘business prep’ boarding school in Sweden. Hoshi absolutely despised the ‘snobbish rich people’ that he had never been surrounded by. Even though he was brought up similarly, Hoshi grew up cutting coupons with DK to help DK’s mother save money. At the boarding school, kids complained about their low budget (half a million) spring break trip they took to Japan, and it made Hoshi sick.

            One thing Hoshi couldn’t complain about, was the girls. His apathy towards leading a business and immaturity was unseen for such an established family. Girls where flocking to him like animals and Hoshi was in heaven. As the year ended, one of Hoshi’s flings confided in him that she had missed her cycle, she believed she was pregnant. Hoshi wrote home to tell his mother the news. His father received the letter first and wrote one back, informing him that if he did not insist the girl have an abortion, his stuff at the house would be gathered and Hoshi would have to leave. If Hoshi were to keep the child, his father did not want the bastard child under their roof.

            The girl was indeed not pregnant, but outraged by the lack of support his parents gave him, he accepted the offer of leaving as if a baby was on the way. Deep inside, Hoshi couldn’t hide the disappointment, both in his parents and at the prospect of a child. He was too young to have one, but the idea of having a child thrilled him in a way his whorish heart couldn’t understand. His heart knew no monogamy but his brain craved a person to care for.

            Hoshi moved out out his parents house and was returned to public school the next fall. His parents rented out a small one-bedroom apartment, only giving him enough allowance for  buying food. Hoshi’s parents didn’t contact him even after they found out the girl wasn’t pregnant. The scandal was enough to remove Hoshi as their descendent, which he was immediately after he turned eighteen, as did the finical support stop.

            Before Hoshi left for Sweden, DK was the nerd no one was eager to sit next to. When Hoshi returned, DK was apart of a popular crowd of ten. Hoshi’s pride that DK and him had been each other’s one and only, was now gone. Hoshi found himself not wanting to be apart of the group, which he thought was nine too many.

            Fifteen, and month of being alone in the apartment intensified the craving for family and further, a child. Hoshi found himself wandering the schools late at night to ease his mind. The school was a better place to sleep than empty apartment that longed to be filled. Often, he looked out off the third story window pondering the glory of falling down to the pavement.

            One night in particular was rough. It was Hoshi’s sixteenth birthday and even though the guys had tried to make it special, the radio silence from his parents and siblings was louder than ever. He sat, legs dangling off the ledge, wishing for a breeze to guide him to jump. He had no money, no prospects, no family and as far as he was concerned, DK’s attention wasn’t solely dedicated on him anymore.

            As he sat, he heard a sound. And there was a twelve-year-old boy, raggedy faced, standing the doorway, sleeping bag in hand. He noticed Hoshi and ran away.

            The craving for a child and the desire for a friend made the dirt faced boy become a giant ray of hope. He chased Dino down insisting he stay at his place.  Dino refused for a few nights.

            Hoshi’s apartment only became home with Dino in it. Hoshi overlooked all the delinquent things Dino did. Later becoming a pushover just to satisfy Dino. Hoshi thought himself as Dino’s parent but did nothing to act like one, giving him no boundaries or limits. At the end of the day, Hoshi couldn’t take Dino to college. So he handed Dino over to Coups, the technical foster parent to Dino.

            The bond between Dino and Hoshi is undeniable. But as everyone one in the group would agree the relation is more like two brothers than a father a son, even though Hoshi sees Dino as his son.

            Hoshi eventually learned to accept the group through that, he received the family he had been craving, even though DK in his mind will always be first.

            Hoshi is rash, childish, but with a burning passion for dancing and children themselves.  Hoshi is kind but occasionally can be self-centered due to his pompous upbringing.

Comment on what Character you want me to do next! (obviously I can't do OC until the story ends....) But what did you guys think of this chapter? Let me know! I love reading your comments and I will respond :)