Chapter Twenty Nine

The Roommate

 

           People were talking, your head pounding. Your limbs aches, the crisp pain on your upper chest ignited your senses, only to be choked out by a bitter metallic smell. Light moved underneath your eyelids, your brain pushing against the forefront of your skull, pounding.

            You grunted out a breath and adjusted yourself, you were lying down on rough but cushioned surface. You extended your arm out and your chest burst into crackling flame, you retracted it back with a yelp; your eyes popping open with a strangled gasp. Your eyebrows creased in the middle, blood rushing back to your head. Why did everything hurt so much?

            “Does it hurt?” A voice said.

            Woozi was standing over you, and you were lying on the couch. Your eyes scanned across the dull apartment. The living room was spacious and unfamiliar.

            “Where am I?” Your voice rasped out hoarsely; your throat felt as if it had been through a cheese grater. You rubbed your throat, wincing as you cleared it.

            “Coups’ apartment.” Woozi leaned down on one of his knees as you struggled to sit upright, every movement a stiff exertion of pain.

            “Why am I-? What happened?” You pressed your hand to your throbbing head. You pressed your eyes shut, .

            “We were hoping you could explain that part.” Coups was standing next to Woozi. The back of your eyes burned.

            “I don’t know if you remember, but you called me. We went to the guitar shop and you were unconscious. We brought you here.”

            “I don’t remember calling you,” you pressed your eyes shut. “Why did I pass out?”

            “You had a panic attack.”

            “I don’t have panic attacks.”

            “You did see Josh-“

            You snapped forward, grabbing Woozi by the collar; your shaking fingernails puncturing holes in the fabric. “Josh,” you breathed, your eyes glazing over for a second; the memories trickling back into your consciousness. “Where is he?”.

            Woozi’s looked back at you. His eyebrows caving outwards and he whispered your name in a low voice. His eyes darting from your face to his feet and your heart dropped to your stomach; your hands tightened their grip, almost tearing the fabric. Your crazed eyes fixed on his forlorn expression.
            “What does that mean?” You said quietly through your teeth clenched.

            Coups scoffed at Woozi’s hesitance. “He’s fine. In the bedroom.” Coups said shortly.

            You stood up instantly, Woozi stood up after you. “Don’t.” Your eyes narrowed on the closed door handle glimmering in the darkness of the hallway, you shuffled to it, Woozi following after you. He pushed himself in front of the door before you could reach it. “You really don’t.”

            “Don’t what?” You snapped, and Woozi looked at you with so much sorrow you thought it would swallow his face. His cheeks were sallow, his eyes wrinkled with the lines twice his age. The thought that all of this was directed at you, both made you sick and set your brow ablaze. “Let me through.” You said roughly.

            “You really don’t want to-.“

            “I saw Joshua get beat.” You said, your eyes burned into his drowning ones. “The aftermath can’t be worse than watching it as it occurred.”

            Woozi looked down, his arms still blocking the doorframe, he stepped away and you purposefully knocked his shoulder as you reached for the doorknob. “Like you could stop me anyway,” you said, giving him a glance, and swung it open.

            The room was bare. Nothing to contain it except for a small mattress that was set on the floor, next to it was a bedside table that had a lamp. The harsh light from the light casted shadows down on Joshua’s face, unconscious on the bed.  The blood covering his face made it hard to identify his features. His characteristic full upper lip was covered with the red substance that had leaked down from his nose and crusted down his chin. His cat-like eyes were closed, both of them shadowing a circle of purple and blue.

           As your eyes trailed across his torn shirt, a stabbing pain hit you across the head and you were back in the guitar store, Joshua’s screams ripping through your ears; the echoing high pitched voice morphed into the blinding white ringing in your ears.  You clutched your head, squinting open your eyes again.

            His right ear was covered in blood that ran down his neck and dipped into the red pool of his shirt. His cartilage earring gone, replaced with a gapping hole of missing flesh. His hair was wetly matted on his forehead, his creamy skin splotched with bruises.

            The way you screamed, the way you thrashed against their vice grips as you watched the man approach Joshua with the knife. But you couldn’t see past the face on the man in front of you. His face twisted in a smile, consumed your felid of vision, the knife scorched you as it dragged across your skin.

            You approached Joshua with wobbling knees. His green t-shirt moistened into a sickly brown. “I-is he-?” Your throat choked out the word before you could finish; your fingers outstretched down to him.

            Woozi came to your side, pulling your outstretched hand back to his side. “Its just flesh wounds, nothing deep or serious.” He said. “We checked.”

            “He’s going to be okay, right?” You said, dropping to your knees next to him. Woozi didn’t give you any time, he gently put his hands under your arms, trying to pull you back up again but you pushed him away. “Is he going to be okay?” You repeated, louder this time.

            “There is nothing serious.”

            “Then why does he look so-“  Your index finger curled around his hair, when you withdrew your finger, his hair left crisp line of wet red.

            Woozi’s hands was on you again, his fingers pulling at your elbows, his hands felt so much like the bruising grips in the shop. “Come on.” He whispered. Your eyes were locked on Joshua, trailing over his bruised bones, broken skin. If the skin on him was fabric, it would be shredded.

            You swatted him away forcefully, and stood up, wiping your nose with your sleeve. Before you clicked the light off, you gave Joshua one last look. The door closed and Woozi was looking at you with a certain gaze that you couldn’t distinguish, under his eyes, you felt something in you snap, the break echoed to your bones, traveling down to your hands and clenching them.

            You grabbed Woozi by the collar and slammed him up against the wall. “You said he was safe.” Your eyes wide, your face tense. “You promised me.” Woozi looked past you, dead-eyed; your trembling hands shook his collar. “YOU PROMISED.”

            “Lets just calm down.” Coups hand was on your shoulder now.

            “Don’t treat me as if I am overreacting.” You side-eyed Coups. Woozi’s hands were limply at his side, accepting your puncturing grip like it was the nails on his casket. Woozi stared back at you. “You told me he was safe.”

            “He was.” Woozi mumbled, his lips barely moving.

            “Then what typed of ed up game are you playing, huh?” You said. “You met with that earlier today. What, are you in on this too?”
            Woozi expression broke, his forehead creasing in the middle. “What on earth are you-”
            “That boss man, you met with him.” You interrupted, his eyes darted down. Your pulse quickened. “Didn’t you?” You yelled, raising a clenched fist up. Woozi didn’t flinch, his eyes followed your hand, his dark pupils were drowning in something you couldn’t describe.

            Coups yelled from behind you, and he grabbed your fist. You swung behind you blindly, and your elbow hit something; Coups yelped. “You did this to Josh.” You said your eyes burning into Woozi’s unresponsive ones. “You want me you up? You want to go? Because I guarantee that right now I could whoop your sorry out-“

            Coups was pulling you off Woozi. “Adding anger to the situation will not help anything.”

            “All I know is that some guy comes around our place asking for you, and that night Joshua is a live in punching bag.”

            “I had nothing to do with this. It was two completely unrelated events.” Woozi said, his hands up a, his shoulders back.

            You pushed off of Coups’ shoulders. “Don’t touch me. I’ve had enough man-handling tonight to last me, thank you very much.” Coups shied away, patting Woozi on the back with a look that told Woozi he was on his own. Coups backed up into the kitchen, you and Woozi standing in the darkened hallway alone.

            “I promise you-“ Woozi was standing with his feet apart, leaning slightly back; prepared for you to jump again.

            “I don’t care for your promises anymore.” You said, the fire fizzling out in your eyes. “You promised that Joshua would be safe, and look how well you kept that.” Your voice cracked at the end, you tensed your eyes shut; you needed to contain yourself.

            “I thought he was safe.”       

            “Give me one reason why I should believe you.” You scoffed. “You knew the boss.”

            “He was one of my old friends, I haven’t talked to him in years.” Woozi said. “He didn’t even have my new phone number, that’s why he had to stop at the apartment.”

            You took one step forward; he took one step back. “You are treading on a thin line.” You whispered.

            “Look, you’re emotional, I get it. But you have to control yourself. Right now-.”

            “I am controlled.” you said, the words were clunky on your fumbling lips; your hands trembling fists at your side. “Just angry-“

            “Misdirected fear.” Woozi extended a hand in your direction and you took a step away, out of his reach.

            “I don’t have to listen to this.” Your hand grasped on the door handle. “Leave me alone.”

            Just as you were opening the door, Woozi grabbed your arm that held the door and pulled you back, pulling the door shut. “Don’t torture yourself.”

            “Torture myself.” You repeated, your wide crazed eyes glossed over. Your top lip pulled up to flash your teeth; your eyebrows caving outward. You chest left heavy again.

            Woozi flinched. “This isn’t your fault. You couldn’t have stopped it.” Your hands reached for the knob again and Woozi’s gentle touch suddenly became forceful. He pushed you aside from the doorway, standing in front of it, his voice firm. “It’s over now. It’s okay.”

            “NO IT’S NOT.” You said like a wounded animal that had been cornered, your eyes piercing his gentle gaze. “And don’t sit there and tell me it is, because he is in there, looking like a mothering corpse. If you forgot, I had to watch – I had to WATCH as they laughed at him as he begged for them to stop. He begged-” your words choked out by the hiccups falling down your face, you pressed your sleeve to your eyes. Stop this. Stop it.

            Arms wrapped around you and Woozi was hugging you. His soft hair pressed to the side of your face, the smell of old books clogged your senses; a hand was on the back of your head, running through your hair. His hug was so forceful it squeezed out the remaining tears and for a second you melted – there was no other word for it, you could no longer distinguish where you ended and he began.

           The moment you let your guard down, your tentative arm pressing against the space between his shoulder blades, your eyes fluttered to a heavy close and Joshua’s contorted face arose. The sight had burned itself on the back of your eyelids, his fear stricken eyes followed you even in the darkness. Another stab to the chest, you opened your eyes wide and pushed Woozi off of you. No one could see you like this, your chest felt heavy again. “Get the away.”

This was all your fault.

            “Don’t blame yourself.” When he looked at you it was as if he was looking straight into your mind, you feared if he looked for too long, he would be able to see everything, read you like a book. This didn’t soothe your pounding head.

            “Don’t tell me what to do, ponytail.” You were looking everywhere except for him: the wall, your shoes, you would settle on anything that wasn’t his dark eyes, his gentle gaze felt more like a sharp knife.

            You wanted to run, your legs throbbed to escape to a place where no one could see you, but even in the solitude of your own mind, Joshua’s face was lurking there. The hallway was closing in, moving in waves. The darkness swirled around you, Woozi’s form morphed with the wall, a force was squeezing down on your airways. You grasped at your throat to find nothing there; the air was choking you.

            “Breathe!” Woozi was speaking to you past the whirl of grey colors now obstructed by the patches of white, hands were on your shoulders. One of your hands fumbled down to the grip on your shoulders and, pushed them away. Run, Run, you needed to run. Get away.

            But your legs were refusing, they were weak but felt to heavy to lift, You covered your face with your hands. The deep peaking breaths rose your chest dramatically, each breath faster and deeper after the previous one. You were drowning, everything was blurry and numb. 

            “Get the f- AWAY!” you yelled shakily, pressing both palms to either temples, squeezing your eyes shut. Your knees weakened at the sight of Joshua’s face again, you were squatting now, one hand up against the wall for support; the other digging fingernails on the front of your throat.

            Woozi’s face was in yours. “You need to breathe.”

            “LEAVE ME A-ALONE!”

            Joshua

            Joshua

            He almost died. It was your fault. Everything is your fault. You couldn’t stop them. You had to watch. You were weak. This is what you have become: weak. He could’ve died, all this is your fault. Everything is your fault. Pathetic. Weak. Stupid

            The insults were screaming at you in your mind, each word biting at your chest, adding another ten pounds with each syllable spoken. Your chest would surely cave in from all the pressure. Stupid. Insignificant. Weak.

            Arms wrapped around your upper back, words were being breathed down your neck. “Its okay. Its okay.” You could hear yourself breathing, the rasping noises passing through your ears, but you felt nothing. His voice spoke with the soothing rhythm of a musician. His fingers slid through your hair and he pulled your head into his chest, but everything still hurt. He shushed you, the faster your breaths heated his chest, the tighter he pulled you in.

The blockage in your throat popped out and with a spluttering gasp, you were able to breathe. “There you go.” He whispered, air circulating your lungs, the room slowing down, the walls expanding around you.  You slowly brought your shaky arms to his shoulders, your fists grasping at his t-shirt, pulling him closer. “You have to let it out.”

            You buried your face in his collarbone, shoulders shaking. You were both sitting on the floor now, your second panic attack succeeded in knocking you to your knees. Woozi leaned over you, his body consuming yours.

            “You should’ve seen it.” You whispered, your tears wetting his shirt. “You should’ve heard it. The way he pleaded. He wasn’t pleading for them to stop, he wasn’t begging for his own life. He was begging for theirs. Telling them not to ‘do this to themselves.’”

            Woozi stiffened for a second, his fingers falling from your hair and wrapping around your shoulders, your body limply responded.

            You pushed off his shoulders, your face unsticking from his shirt and you hit him on the chest weakly, his arms still in their place.  “You said he was safe. You told me that as long as you and Coups were around he would be safe. You lied. He wasn’t safe.” Your lips trembled, your wet eyes met his, he looked down at you with such a consuming pity, you thought his bravado had broken for good.

            “I’m sorry.” He said in a broken voice. “Stop crying.” Woozi looked down at your blood stained shirt,  falling open a bit to reveal the red skin. Your collarbone was lathered in blood, a peak of the old tattoo revealed at the edges of the mass of color. His fingers followed his eye line but you grabbed his hand, glaring at him with swollen eyes. “What happened? You need to tell us.” His voice was soft as his other hand, caressing your cheek.

            You should be hating this. The way he treated you like every other girl, and looking at you as if you had just announced that you were dying. In some strange painful way that contradicted everything else you believed in- that screamed against every fiber of everything you had ever learnt or sworn to - it felt nice. When his fingers had slipped though your hair, the pain of your headache ebbed away. He was looking at you expectantly, eyebrows raised under a soft gaze. “What happened?” He repeated. Coups standing a ways away in the hallway, looking in on the scene.

            “I-I was in the s-shop-“

            “You don’t need to speak if it will overwork you.” He whispered. His hands your cheek.

            These soft words caught your attention. Overwork you, he thinks you’re weak, of course. A cold numb grew in your chest and you shoved his hands away, Woozi lost his balance and feel on his . You  stood up quickly, wiping your hardened expression with your shirt. His soft gaze suddenly felt too much of a burden.

            You were fine now, you told yourself.

            “We were at the guitar shop and a bunch of guys jumped Joshua and I.” You said simply looking at Coups, ignoring Woozi who was still sitting down on the ground looking up at you. Your face hard as stone but your eyes still blootshot. “There were around seven of them.”

            “Did they say anything?” Coups asked. Woozi stood up.

            “I don’t remember much.” You shrugged, crossing your arms.

            “What is that?” Woozi asked, pulling at your collar, you snapped his hand away. Woozi’s brows furrowed, confused at your sudden coldness.

            “The boss.” You snapped, your eyes narrowing. “Your little friend did this. He didn’t like that I gave his number to you. He wanted to make sure I wouldn’t forget it this time.” You pulled at the collar of your shirt, revealing the painted skin underneath, Woozi winced at the sight.

            “You knew him. You hung out with him.” A fire burning away the numbness.

            Woozi looked at the ground, your hand rested on the doorknob and twisted.

            “What is going on?” Dino was standing in the other door frame, rubbing one of his eyes his mouth stretched in a yawn. The large oversized sweatpants covered his feet, the name ‘HOSHI DANCE CAPTAIN” running down the side, a tuff of hair in the back sticking straight up.

            “Go back to sleep Dino.” You droned, staring straight ahead of you at the door, Dino couldn’t see the wetness of your cheeks.

            Dino’s eyes drifted of the triangle of figures standing in the hallway. “Why are you guys here? It’s one in the morning.”
            “Joshua got into some trouble.” Coups said bluntly.

            “He doesn’t need to know.” You turned to Coups.

            “Is he okay?” Dino asked.

            “He’s not currently. But he will be.”

            Dino’s eyes lingered on the door that you had cracked open. “No.” You said quickly. “You can’t see this.”

            “Let him see.” Coups said, and he bypassed you and pushed the door open. Dino peaked into the dully lit room, the orange glow reflected  his unreadable face. “This is what happens when you involve yourself in the wrong people, Dino.” Coups said lowly.

            Dino stepped away and closed the door behind him, head lowered. You expected him to gasp, or even cry. But you had forgotten that Dino wasn’t as innocent as his age demanded him to be. He looked at you with a raised eyebrow. “Did you get involved to?” His voice demanding.

            “She was caught in the crossfire.” Woozi said.

            Dino turned away, shrugging. “I guess Joshua is a lot stupider that I gave him credit for.”

            “Dino!” You said, “Don’t talk like that.”
            “What?” He said his forehead creased. “Just like Coups’ said. Its his fault.” He shrugged. “I guess I looked up to that dork for nothing.”

            You looked at his hard expression. How could he not be phased by this? His dead eyes had just rolled over Joshua’s corpse like it was a normal scene. His mouth pursed, not parting in  shock; the emotionless drone in his voice sent chills down your spine.

            “Just keep it down.” Dino snapped, and he slammed the door behind him.

            Coups sighed heavily, his crossed arms dropped at his sides. He hunched over, his thumb and index pressed against his closed eyes. “That is what I have to live with. You guys don’t see him when he’s cranky.” Coups dropped his hands from his painful expression. “But we shouldn’t be talking about this right now.”

            “No, we shouldn’t.” You said, opening the door. “Lets talk later. I want to wait until Joshua wakes up.” Woozi gave you that face again. “Stop acting all empathic.” You spat, your lip curling up, “It’s making my stomach hurt.”

            You walked through the frame and closed the door behind you. You groaned pressing your back against it, your head reaching back to rest on it, your eyes shut. You had just made a complete fool of yourself, letting Woozi see you like that. Even worse, he was understanding, and he tried to comfort you. You weren’t sure how it was worse, but just that thought made your stomach turn.

            This is what you were becoming, you thought, weak.

            But then your eyes looked at Joshua and all that bravado melted away. You went to his side and slid down to where he laid in the mattress. Your fingers brushed away his sticky hair from his forehead. You sat up against the wall next to the makeshift bed, and thought hard as your eyes trailed on the details of his face.

“You would think this was to creepy if you ever saw a guy do this in a movie.” You whispered to him. “You would make a comment about ‘oh just let the poor girl sleep.”

            Joshua stirred at your words, and you jumped up. He groaned and began hissing, touching his chest. “Oh God,” His voice cracked, barely recognizable, hoarse. He adjusted his arm and then let out a sharp yelp, You jumped to lean over him, forcing his arm back.

            Joshua’s eyes shot open in panic at your touch and he yelled, eyebrows shooting up in alarm. His eyes darted around, sweat dripping form his raised brow, his hands fumbling around for something to grasp, to defend himself with.

            “Shh!” you said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “Its me. It’s me!” You waved your hands. “You’re at Coups’ house."
            Joshua’s eyes darted around the room frantically and then back at you. He let out a held in breath, and slumped back against the wall, grasping at his chest. “I thought-” He rasped.

            “No,” you reassured in a soothing tone, your hand rubbing him. “You’re safe. Come on, lay back down.” He was wincing, his hands grasping at his chest.

            You pulled down on his shoulders gently, leading his back down on the mattress. At every move, Joshua flashed his gritting teeth, his. You pulled the covers over him. Joshua swatted away the blankets with his weak limbs.

            “T-too hot,” he moaned, his wet brow twitching.

            “Want me to get you some water?” You said hastily, your hand brushing away his bangs to cup his forehead. He was burning. You shifted yourself, preparing to get up.

            Joshua’s limp fingers reached out to pull weakly on your sleeve. His eyes squinting open to look at you, his mouth sinking down. “Are you okay?”

            You took his hand, and sandwiched it between both of yours. “Of course I am. But I’m not the one you should be worrying about.”

            A crease formed over Joshua’s  brow as his eyes locked on your stained shirt. “What did they-“ He tried to push himself off of he mattress but his arms gave way and he thudded back down with a groan.

            “Stay still,” You snapped. “Just don’t do anything right now, you need to rest.”

            “What did they do to you?” His voice was barely above a whisper.

            “Nothing as bad as what they did to you.”

            Joshua’s mouth twitched up in a feeble smirk. “You didn’t answer my question.” His mouth sunk back down, his jaw clentched repressing a hiss as his hand pressed deeper into his shoulder.

            “Really I’m fine.” You said quickly. “Its just a cut.” Joshua’s caramel eyes slowly scanned over you, trying catch you in a lie. “Joshua, you really shouldn’t be worrying about me. You look much worse.”

            “You promise?” His lips twitched in a smile. And you felt your eyes start to burn again. How could he be smiling?

            “I do,” Your voice cracked slightly as you stretched your mouth into a grin. “I promise you look worse than I do.”

            “Good.” He whispered, squeezing his eyes shut.

            “I’ll get you some Advil-,“ But Joshua’s hand was reaching aimlessly out again, his index finger twitching for you as he squeezed his eyes shut from the pain.

            “Don’t.” His voice barely audible in a grunted whisper. “Just stay.”

            “Of course.” You agreed, you tapped his hand to signalize you were still there, he let his hand fall.

            Joshua rolled over so he was on his side, facing you. “Are you sure you are okay?”

            You nodded. “I am fine.”
            “You aren’t lying to me?” His lips were crusted with blood, his skin littered with bruises, black and blue.

            “I am fine.” you repeated. “Stop asking me that.”

            “I want to be sure.” His body shook in violent shivers, beads of sweat rolling over his brow.

            “You are a complete idiot; you know that? Absolutely insane.”

            “I thought you were going to die.”

            “I thought you were the one that was going to die.”

            “They wouldn’t kill me.” Joshua grunted, his fingers digging into a stick part of his t-shirt. “They still need it from me, yet. But you-“ his voice cracked. “There was nothing protecting you.” Guilt contorted Joshua’s already worn face. “I’m so sorry.” His limp hand reached out to touch the bruise on your cheek. “I shouldn’t have asked you to come. I was such a coward; I was so scared. I thought they were going to-“
            Joshua’s blue eyes were glazing over, the wetness running down his cheeks.

            You shushed him, leaning over him to cup his face. “Look I’m fine. See? I’m fine.” You said quickly.

            When you grabbed him Joshua’s body shook, his upper lip pulled up in a whine, the wetness rolling over your hands. “If I had known I would’ve never, never told you to come. You have to believe me-“

            “I do!” You protested, “I do, please stop crying, you might just make me start again.”

            “And after all you’ve been through. All those felonies and the past that you were running from, I just had to drag you back into it again.”

            And it was out again. You sighed. Joshua eyes squinted open to look at you, the most contorted look of sorrow. “Forgive me.”

            “There is nothing to forgive. Please, stop this. Please.”

            This is what you been reduced to: A figure hunched over the most pitiful boy you had ever laid your eyes on, crying for your forgiveness. Snot faced, broken and bruised; a boy who not only couldn’t throw a punch, but did a job of taking them as well, a boy who bruised as easy as a peach. He was weak, the type that begged when confronted with a fight, not even bothering to fight back. And here you were, welling up at the slight of this pathetic creature, holding his sobbing face; your tears dripping onto your own hands.

            How far you had fallen.

            “It would feel better if you were angry at me.” His voice hoarsed out. “Yell at me, please. Scream at me how I got you into this mess. Tell me how much of a God-forsaken bastard I am.” His voice cracked and for the first time, the swears flowed naturally on the gentleman’s lips. He sat up in the bed, wincing at every turn of his body. “Now you know, what I’ve gotten myself into.”

            “I’m not angry with you.” You said. “I can’t do that.”

            “Stop crying.” Joshua said, a hand settling at the crook of your elbow. “Don’t look at me like that. Can’t you see what I’ve dragged you into again?” He was thinking of your felonies again. Joshua Hong, always the altruist.

            “You need to sort out your priorities.” You whispered. “I am completely unimportant right now.” Joshua opened his mouth again. “Lets stop talking. Please. Don’t say any more.”.

            You couldn’t bear to hear Joshua’s concern for you. The revelation of his tender heart seemed to break yours.

            “Don’t feel guilty. Please don’t this wasn’t any of our faults, it was something that happened to-“ But then you stopped. Where did you abandoned your sense? You hated to admit it, but technically this was Joshua’s fault. He was the one who got involved, even Joshua knew that, and convincing him otherwise would be an insult to his intelligence. “Okay, whosever real fault this is, I don’t care. I don’t blame you for it.”

            “You should.” Joshua grinned a bit, sitting fully upright in bed now. “But I must say, you are certainly one badass fighter.”

            “I’ve had some experience.” You grinned, “Woozi mainly.”

            Joshua’s wiped his glistening eyes, then his eyes met your wet ones and he cracked a pitiful smile. “Oh man.” He said turning his sleeve to you and pressing it to your eyes, he wiped at your damped cheeks, his lips pulling up slightly. “I never thought I would see the day.” He smirked, looking at your glossy eyes.

            You pushed his sleeve away. “Shut it. I’m not completely emotionless, you know.”

            “No matter how hard you try to be.”

            “Stop smiling, it doesn’t fit the situation.”

            “It’s how I deal. Would you rather me continue to cry about it?”

           You shrugged, and there was knock on the door and Woozi peaked in. “So I see you are awake.” Woozi walked around the bed, inspecting him, arms crossed. Your hands snapped back from Joshua’s face, returning stiffly to their sides.

           Joshua didn’t say anything. “Did you bring me here?”

           “Yes.” He replied shortly, the soft gaze earlier had hardened to stone. “Imagine my surprise to walk in the unlocked guitar store to see this one slumped over you, both of you bloodied and unconscious.”

           “I’m sorry.”

           “You gave me quite the scare for a second.” Woozi grunted. “Doing well?” Woozi was acting too casual for the situation; maybe it was how he dealt with it, or maybe he was trying to conceal his anger from Josh, you didn’t know.

           Joshua didn’t answer, looking down at his hands. “I should be fine.”

           “You better” Woozi snapped. “You got yourself into this mess, you need to have the strength to drag yourself out of it.” His voice heavy. “Next time don’t get uninvolved parties into the mix to take the beating for you.”
            “Woozi.” You warned, “that is unnecessary. You don’t need to make him feel worse more than he already-.”

           “You could’ve been hurt. Plain and simple.” Woozi said, “Oh wait, I’m sorry, you were hurt.”

           “We’ve talked about this already.” You stood up. “This matter is between me and Josh so you should-.”

           “It’s stupidity to get yourself into this mess in the first place, but it becomes selfishness when you involve a helpless-“ Woozi wasn’t listening to you, he was looking at Josh.

           “I was the one who saved Joshua from those men. I was the one who managed to pry four of those men off. Check yourself before you call someone helpless.” You said. “If I wasn’t there, Joshua would probably still be in that guitar shop, lying on the floor and bleeding till morning.”

           “That’s not what I am saying.” Woozi’s fists were stiff.

           “I don’t care what you are saying. Don’t make him feel worse than he already does.”

           “Don’t talk as I I’m not here,” Joshua’s hand was on your sleeve. “I’m not a kid either, you don’t need to defend me either.”

           “He already knows what he did was wrong. You don’t have to shove his face in it.”

            “He should know the weight of his actions. I’m just doing what he did to me when I did this, you remember, Josh?” Woozi turned to Joshua who nodded lowly. “Reality hurts like but just because it hurts doesn’t mean sugarcoating it is in order.”

            “There is a difference between-“

            “Guys stop.” Joshua’s hands were on his head, his eyes squeezed shut. “Don’t argue. I really appreciate you defending me but Woozi is right. This is my fault, but we can talk all about this tomorrow. I just want to go back to bed.”

            Woozi and you exchanged glances, Woozi chewing on his lip, he rolled his eyes and pointed a firm finger at Joshua. “Fine. But we are going to have words tomorrow.”

            “Have words.” You laughed trying to soften Joshua’s scared expression. “Way to sound like a grandpa.” You knelt down and pressed a gentle hand to Joshua’s cheek. “I’ll come by in the morning.” Joshua gave you a faint smile.

            “Time to go.” Woozi said roughly, and you pushed off of your knees and straightened yourself up. “I’ve gotten twenty missed calls from Hoshi, they are waiting up.”

            “Why would they be waiting up?” You said as you closed Joshua’s door behind you.

            “Because you never leave the house past eight.” Woozi said, his voice turning soft as the two of you exited the apartment and walked to the parking lot.

            It wasn’t till you got in the car that you said, “I need answers now.”

Guys can you believe it, we have less than ten chatpers left....ARGGG.

Next chapter you will get LOTS of answers including who, how, when, what, WHY

Pwease leave me a comment, i always read them :)