Girl Talk

The Series In Our Finale

"It's late" Dani looked up at him without any expression even in her eyes. "Where have you been?"

"What is it to you?" She made sure her words were sharp enough so that it can be tattooed in his brain that she doesn't like him. At all. Vernon stood up from where he sat and pulled her into a hug,

"I'm sorry" but she shoved him off of her immediately. "How many times should I tell you that I don't have a crush on you? Even if you hug me like this, I won't get soft in the knees so just stop.....I'm not one of your fangirls" she whined as she walked past him but was intercepted by Vernon as he hugged her again, this time from the back.

She tried to get him off of her once again but Vernon just made his grip tighter. He leaned onto her ears as he whispered, "I'm sorry... I don't care if you like me or not" he paused, his breath tickling her ears, "I thought you would like me if I distanced myself a bit......but it was me who did" Dani was surprised at his statement that she stopped on wiggling from his embrace, "I'll wait for you tomorrow night, 8pm Han river" He casually said in her ears as she remained frozen. He laid his head in her shoulder, "I'll be waiting" There was a few seconds silence before he finally broke the embrace.

Dani returned to her room as Vernon went back to the staircase where a boy stood still. Vernon was surprised but at the same time pleased at the situation's timing. He knew Jihoon had seen them.

"Hey" he greeted him with a smirk as they went their own ways.

 

****

It's one of those afternoons wherein everyone are busy practicing. The soccer team went on a break first as the track-and-field team followed. Seeing that the track and field team are now about to take a break, Jihoon went to sit on the furthest bench because that meant that he'll have to talk to Dani.

He plugged on his earphones and listened to some nice, upbeat music to try to cheer himself up but it just made him feel annoyed so he changed it into a sad one. He was so into the music that he realized he looked like someone who's about to tear up so in the end, he just stopped but he left the earphones plugged in his ears.

He knew separating himself from her would be very frustrating and would make him look salty but what can he do? She'll just probably talk about the thing that happened between her and Vernon. What if she told him that Vernon and her are finally together? Out of the people in his class, Jihoon is the worst at acting so he probably wouldn't know how to smile naturally. And that would make her realize that he doesn't approve of this relationship.

"Hey" Jihoon faced Mingyu who just sat on the other side of the bench. He remembered it was the bench that Mingyu frequently sits on every after break to take a nap so he immediately asked for permission, "Our break is about to be over. I hope you won't mind me sitting here for some minutes."

"That's weird" Mingyu laughed.

"What is?"

"Why are you not sitting with Dani?" Mingyu grinned, "Had some lovers' quarrel?" 

"Nope, we aren't together and we'll never be." Jihoon blew air on his nose, "Ever"

"That makes me think you like her"

"Obviously" Jihoon smirked, "But unfortunately she doesn't feel the same"

"You already confessed?" Mingyu asked in curiosity. This topic is surprisingly making him less bored.

"Nope. And I have no plans"

Mingyu pucked his lips as he stretched his neck, "You'll never know."

"It's too easy for you to say that because you got the looks. Every girl you ask would probably say yes to you" Jihoon laughed, "Everyone seems to like you. Even the most beautiful Yeseul likes you. In fact, if you would ask Dani out, she'd probably not say No"

"Wait wait wait" Mingyu stopped his stretches as he faced Jihoon, his eyebrows furrowed, "Yeseul likes me?"

"Did I say that?" Jihoon tried to lie but man, why is he born as someone bad at acting and lying. 

"Yes you did" Mingyu chuckled.

"Oh...." Jihoon scratches his nose, he's trying to make himself very calm, "Dani told me Yeseul does, I'm not sure though" He shrugged.

"Really?" Mingyu smiled, a very wide one as he stood up and went to jog around to prevent himself from feeling sleepy again. He was very sweaty but his wide smile never remained the same.

"Jisoo!!! Jisoo!!" Jihoon rushed towards Joshua..

"What?" Joshua asked very worried. Jihoon barely calls him by his korean name which only means a very serious incident happened.

"I ed up" Jihoon bit his lip, "Real bad!"

****

It was again a dark and chilly midnight. The wind was sending chills through Mingyu and Yeseul's spine as they walk towards the place that they are slowly becoming accustomed to, the midnight mart. After all, this is already the fifth time that they're enjoying the midnight.

Mingyu noticed the girl walking beside him almost freezing so he immediately took off his coat and gave it to her, "Your friends will kill me if you catch a cold"

"They don't even know I go out every midnight" Yeseul laughed as they sat. The wind was now replaced with the heat coming from the restaurant's heater. The atmosphere became warm, comfortable and somehow perfect.

They sat and stare at each other, neither of them dared to talk but miraculously, it wasn't awkward at all.

"Yeseul, I have something to tell you" Yeseul gulped as Mingyu continued, "I think I'm starting to like......." Her hands were now getting sweaty. Her heart was beating hella fast because holy ! Mingyu, her old time crush, the most handsome guy in school, the campus heartthrob, Mr. Boy Next Door is obviously about to confess to her!

"....Midnights more"

I think I'm starting to like midnights more.

I think I'm starting to like midnights more. 

The words echoed in her head as a wave of disappointment hit her.

Why would she even expect Mingyu to like her when they had spent the midnights only five times. He probably thinks of her as a midnight buddy.

A midnight buddy only.

And she knew she should also just cooperate and do the same.

He's the man of her dreams.

Yes, He probably is only a dream.

She laughed to shrug the feeling. It's during midnights when she realizes these things. But this time, she was ready to bring this thought until morning. She's willing to try to get over him.

Her eyes were watery as he stood up to order. For other people, it isn't something worth crying for but it's just that, she was so frustrated.

She watched him talk to the cashier which was also mesmerized by his beauty. I'm just like her. I will only be able to adore him but the feeling would never be mutual. And as she saw him walk towards her, she immediately wiped the tears forming.

"Hey" Mingyu placed the drinks on the table, "Were you crying just now?"

Yeseul tried to stable her voice, "N-no, I....just yawned" she put up a smile.

"Ahh..." Mingyu responded as he sat in front of her, "You know the thing about midnights.. I mean the reason why I like midnights more" he scratched his head. Yeseul was just nodding. His words were just entering and then leaving her ears. "Ahh, I didn't know it would be this difficult" Mingyu laughed an awkward one, "So this might sound hilarious because we don't know each other that much yet and all but..." He bit his lip.

"So awhile ago....that 10th grader Kim Sohyun confessed to me" Yeseul nodded her head while sipping on the cola, "Aren't you jealous?" Mingyu teased because of her lack of response.

"Nope,why would I?" Yeseul tried to put on the fakest laugh which made Mingyu very surprised, "Really?!"

She nodded her head as a reply.

Mingyu heaved a sigh, "And I thought you like me." He shook his head in disbelief.

Yeseul's eyes widened, "! How did you know?!"

"How did I know?" Mingyu stopped sipping on his cola, "That just proves that it's a fact, right?" He asked with a grin but Yeseul didn't say a word "Silence means yes" He teased but Yeseul still remained silent.

"Yah" Mingyu raised his eyebrow, his expression turned serious, "Are you really not answering?"

"It's because it's a yes, stupid"

Mingyu's eyes lightened, "Today is Day 1,then" He said as he interlaced her fingers with his.

****

"AND HE SAID IT'S ALREADY OUR DAY 1!!!!!" Yeseul shrieked as she shook both Sujeong and Dani. She tumbled on her bed and jumped up and down. The two girls were looking at her with disgust.

"I can't believe you two got together faster than Vernon and Dani." Sujeong said as she changed the TV channel, "We didn't even know you both go out every midnights."

"What made you think Vernon and I are going to be a thing?" Dani raised her brows.

"I saw you yesterday with Vernon beside Han river"

"We just hung out. That doesn't mean we'll be a thing, you know!" She pouted.

Yeseul grabbed a pack of junk food and countered, "If that's how the world goes, then are you and Wonwoo going to be a thing? I saw you both going out of the coffee shop that same day"

"Yah!" Sujeong threw the pillow at her making Yeseul to fall of the bed

"What?" Yeseul laughed so hard making herself struggle to climb back, "It's real, isn't it~~ You both started going out" She teased while still sitting on the floor.

"No.."

"But he asked you out. Am I right?" 

"Not literally asked me out but..."

"But what?!!!" The two girls shouted as she was taking too long to reply.

"Okay, I didn't know how he did but he found out what happened between me and Seungcheol in the hospital--"

Yeseul almost choked on the junk food that she was eating, "Something happened between you and Seungcheol?!!"

"No! It's not that something happened.. Ugh!!!" She ruffled her hair. She was trying to hide her blush, "He found out Seungcheol accompanied me at the hospital, and..."

"He was jealous! Wasn't he?" Dani clapped when Sujeong nodded at her, "I knew it" 

"HE FINALLY CONFESSED TO YOU?!!" Yeseul shrieked.

"He did but he didn't literally asked me out.." Sujeong bit her lip, "He asked me if I have feelings for Seungcheol so I told him the truth that I think I do but I'm not sure so he told me he'll try to snatch me from him before it's too late" 

"Well, that's complicated" Dani murmured.

"It is" Sujeong pouted, "I wish it was as easy as how Mingyu and Yeseul got together" 

"Yours is complicated too" Yeseul pointed at Dani, "Mind telling us what's happening now between you and Vernon?"

"I swear there's nothing between us and there will never be"

"It's too early to talk, you know" Sujeong said.

Yeseul was looking at her mischievously and after Sujeong had talked, she asked, "Jihoon or Vernon?"

Dani looked at her with disbelief, "Can you ask Sujeong first before me?"

"I was born earlier than you, You answer first" Sujeong teased.

"Okay, okay!" Silence enveloped the room, the two of them were waiting for the big answer.

.

.

.

"Jihoon" 

****

[Mingyu with Jihoon]

 

[Mingyu]

[Mingyu smiling at you]