Law of Attraction

Dream High

Yuri ate silently and sometimes took her time playing with a piece of broccoli. Her parents both are eating along with her but uttered not a single words. This what it looks like everytime they had dinner together; pure silence. Sometimes she envied other people who spent more time together talking despite had less food. She had everything but it can be lonely sometimes. Kwon SangWoo put his utensils down and wiped his mouth using a napkin. He cleared his throat getting attention from Yuri. Yuri slowly look up.

 

“I recently received Coach Lim report over your training. You lessen your time for 0.2 second this week?”

 

Yuri was genuinely smiling when her father asked her the question.

 

“I did. Coach said that I’m doing well.”

 

SangWoo leaned back on his chair. Hyori decided to interrupt the two.

 

“She lost 0.2 seconds on the first heat SangWoo. Records after that means nothing.”

 

SangWoo cocked an eyebrow asking Yuri if it was true. Yuri felt like defending herself.

 

“But I manage to clear 0.3 second on the second heat!”

 

“Kwon Yuri. Don’t raise your voice at your mother.”

 

“But dad…” Yuri desperately wanting them to stop saying as though she didn’t do enough. She’s done everything she can. She’s the best teenage swimming protégé currently here. SangWoo leaned forward and his intense stare scared the hell out of Yuri.

 

“It’s not enough Yuri and you know your mother is right. If you didn’t go to the party the night before, you wouldn’t have to run the second heat.”

 

Yuri eyes widen in fear when Sangwoo mentioned the word party. She was perfectly sure that no one from the swimming club knew she came.

 

“You thought I didn’t knew Yul?” SangWoo sarcastically asked his only daughter. Yuri lost her appetite knowing that she’s going to be punish. SangWoo suddenly slammed his palm on the table almost earning a loud gasped from Yuri but Hyori remained calm.

 

“Answer me!”

 

“I..I just…”

 

“Yes or no?” Sangwoo didn’t like it when she’s avoiding his question. Yuri in fear nodding her head earning a loud hissed from SangWoo.

 

“I’m disappointed with you.”

 

Yuri felt tears pooling in her eyes threatening to fall anytime soon. She opened to defend her action but SangWoo cut her out.

 

“Do you want me to home school you Yuri? Would you agree to that?”

 

He’s threatening her and its working. School has been her getaway from this pressuring life as long as she can remember. School is her freedom and if school is taken away from her than she’s left with nothing. Yuri quickly shook her head.

 

“No dad. I promise, I won’t do it again!”

 

“And why should I believe you? How can you assure me than this nonsense behaviour of yours would stop right now?”

 

“I promise I would work twice harder! Please dad.” She’s pleading for her freedom. Hyori had done eating and looked at Yuri.

 

“No more partying. If I ever caught you partying again, then you’re going to be in a lot of trouble. Understood?” Yuri quickly nodding agreeing with whatever her mother just said. No one can take school away from her and if it means that she have to work triple hard so be it. SangWoo stood up.

 

“Remember Yul. Stick to the program. You’ll be thanking us when you stood on the Olympic’s podium with a gold medal around your neck. The nation will shed tears along with you.”

 

Yuri keep her head low while SangWoo walked away. Hyori called the maids to clean the table and she followed her husband leaving the dining hall and an almost teared up Yuri. Mr Chan, her family butler came towards Yuri and placed his hand on top of her shoulder. He slightly squeeze it.

 

“Go upstairs Yuri. It’s been a long day for you. Go get some rest.”

 

Yuri held back her tears and left the silence dining hall. Mr Chan watched as Yuri made her way upstairs. He shook his head. He had been with Yuri since Hyori gave birth to her 17 years ago. She was a sweet and happy kid. But ever since her parents discovered her swimming ability, they had been pushing her and forcing her to harsh training. Sometimes it bothered him knowing that the pride of nation’s means more to the Kwon parents than their daughter happiness. Yuri had stopped smiling the moment everyone calling her the swimming genius. The old Yuri had gone; the one that cheered up this big house.

 

…..

 

Yuri arrived in school 30 minutes earlier. She always arrived early to avoid other students especially her swimming fans. Thankfully her classmates weren’t acting like possessive fans since they always saw her in class. So they weren’t really crazy over her anymore. She just sat there not doing anything. Sometimes Yuri like imagining herself as a normal student; not the nation swimming genius. It must be different living as a normal Kwon Yuri. She didn’t mind the popularity at all but sometimes she wish her parents can see her as normal teenager named Kwon Yuri. Things would have been different.

 

“You know, we shouldn’t always be meeting like this. It felt like I’m secretly dating Kwon Yuri.”

 

Yuri grinned when she heard the voice behind her. She turned around and saw Jessica standing behind her with that playful smile of hers.

 

“Aren’t we?”

 

“You wish.”

 

Jessica sarcastically remarks. She walked around and pulled a chair with her and placed it in front of Yuri’s desk. She sat down and playfully flicking Yuri’s forehead earning a hissed from the tan girl.

 

“Why are you so rough with me?”

 

“It’s just a flick on the forehead Kwon. Let it go.”

 

Yuri eyed the smirking girl and determined taking her revenge. She quickly leaned forward aiming to flick Jessica’s forehead. She’s almost manage to hurt the girl but Jessica is faster and kick her shin. She held her painful shin and groaned.

 

“What’s wrong with you?!”

 

Yuri rubbed the spot where it hurts and pouted. Jessica rolled her eyes and grabbed Yuri’s phone on her desk. Yuri looking at her confused with Jessica’s action.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Done. Here.”

 

Jessica handed Yuri back her phone. The tan girl took it and saw Jessica saving her number in her contact list. She raised an eyebrow looking back at the other girl.

 

“I thought it was rude of you since you never ask my number despite already kissing me at the basketball court.”

 

“I did not! You’re the one that force your lips on mine!”

 

Yuri quickly defending herself from Jessica accusations. Jessica sneered mocking Yuri’s statement. Yuri puckered her lips pretending to be mad at her.

 

“You’re taking advantage over me, Jessica.”

 

But another thought came to Yuri’s mind. She wiggling her eyebrows earning a look from Jessica.

 

“Don’t tell me you fall for my charms Jung.”

 

If it was another girl, Yuri for sure knew the girl would became shy and blushed so hard but then this is not just another girl. This is Jessica Jung and she had been tricking her twice.

 

“That is for you to find out Yuri.”

 

“What is that supposed to mean?”

 

“Use your brain and think hard. Anyway, you’re early today.”

 

Yuri let out a sigh and Jessica saw sadness in the tan girl’s eyes. Something is not right.

 

“I’m always early so that I can park my car without hassle.”

 

Jessica nodding kind of agree with it. She knew how Yuri had a fan club in this school and it can be funny sometimes watching Yuri running away when she didn’t want the attention.

 

“Why don’t you just stay in dorms like the other athletes?”

 

“I could if I can. But I can’t. My mom wouldn’t let me.”

 

Jessica leaned forward and propping up her elbow and resting her chin on top of her hands.

 

“I think you mention about your mom disagreeing with everything more than once Yul. Is it that bad?”

 

“You don’t know my mom. Everything is for my own good.”

 

“You don’t go for a party and you don’t hang outs with your friends on weekends. I’m confused. How do you enjoy yourself?”

 

Yuri didn’t know how to explain it to Jessica. She can sense the other girl is curious over her parents’ overprotective behaviour. Jessica didn’t say anything and waited for Yuri to continue.

 

“You wouldn’t understand.”

 

“Make me.”

 

“I….”

 

Their conversations were interrupted by a few girls that probably just arrive in school and heading towards their own classes. Yuri mentally cursed the girls when Jessica stood up ready to go back to her class.

 

“We don’t want your friends caught you dating me right?”

 

Yuri chuckled when Jessica keep on joking their meet up as a date. She watched as Jessica walked away and left her alone in her class. Her lips tugged into a small smile. It’s kind of magical to be honest when they only knew each other for a week and she’s already way too comfortable with her. Maybe because she knew Jessica wouldn’t judging her the way others will. Everyone said she’s perfect and everything that she did must be perfect while with Jessica things gone crazy. She do things she never knew she can do it and mostly having fun doing it.

 

“Who are you really, Sica?”

 

……

 

“Okay, hand over your homework and I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

 

Her homeroom teacher voice echoed inside the classroom when the school bell rings. Yuri put away all her school stuffs. Sooyoung gathered Taeyeon’s and Yuri’s book with her and handed it over to another girl that just walked beside her table.

 

“Hey Yul, want to grab lunch with us?”

 

Taeyeon had finish packing her bag and asked Yuri if she want to join for lunch. Yuri looked up and shook her head.

 

“You can just go ahead. I’m not in the mood. I’m thinking of heading to the indoor pool.”

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and secretly glanced towards Sooyoung. Sooyoung quickly interrupt.

 

“Yul, today is your off training day. Come on, you should come with us. Don’t let me be the third wheel. You know how Tae and Fany practically ignoring people when they go on for a date right?”

 

Yuri laughed at Sooyoung remarks totally agreeing with her. Taeyeon pouted and pushed Sooyoung away.

 

“No I’m not!”

 

“Yes you are. Tone the eye down a little.”

 

Taeyeon eyes widen and covered Sooyoung’s mouth with her palm and looked around. Thankfully other students are too occupied with their own things and didn’t listen to their conversation. Sooyoung pushed Taeyeon’s hand away and pretend to suffocating.

 

“What the hell Taeng?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

 

“Fany doesn’t like it when other students start gossiping about me and her. She didn’t want the attention and with the presidency election is coming next week, she wanted to win by her effort and not because I’m dating her.”

 

Yuri raised an eyebrow silently asking if that was true and Taeyeon nodding not just to Yuri but also Sooyoung.

 

“Her election had nothing to do with you. I mean she’s popular too so you guys dating shouldn’t be an issue.”

 

Sooyoung pointed at Yuri.

 

“That swimming genius is right. This is not just about your popularity Tae.”

 

“Tell Fany that.”

 

“Wow.” Yuri let out a surprised expression while Sooyoung picked up her bag.

 

“She’s exaggerating things. Students pick her because she’s good and not just because she’s dating you.”

 

“I know and she’s not listening. So until the elections next week, she’s not going out with me.”

 

Sooyoung looked at Taeyeon sympathy creeping up her heart. Taeyeon started playing football because of Tiffany. She wanted to woo her and when she knew Tiffany like football player, Taeyeon trained super hard so that Tiffany would have noticed her. She did and they became an item a year later. Now when Taeyeon is super popular in school, Tiffany started to think it’s damaging her presidency campaign.

 

“That’s .”

 

Taeyeon huffed but there’s nothing she can do about it. Yuri patted her behind her back.

 

“If you want, I can talk with Fany. Let her see things through my eyes.”

 

“Thanks Yul. There’s no harm trying.”

 

Sooyong cleared gaining her two bestfriends attention.

 

“So Yul, you should follow us. It felt like a date if only the two of us hanging out.”

 

Yuri felt guilty. Not that she didn’t want to but her father warnings still ringing in her ears.

 

“Guys, seriously I can’t follow you. I lost a second on this week training and my parents aren’t happy about it. Next week is the Seoul Open and dad would want me to keep my timing in check.”

 

“Gosh, Yul if you lost 2 seconds you will still beat the rest. You’re the fastest swimmer right now. The only reason why the national swimming team haven’t yet including you into their team roster is because of school. They want you to finish school first before focusing on Olympics. You already secured a place in Rio.”

 

This time it was Taeyeon who tried reasoning it out with Yuri. She knew how stressed Yuri is each time they talk about her training and something must have happen that she wanted to train on off training day.

 

“I lost 0.2 seconds on the first heat. No matter how good I am on the second try, they won’t count it. I failed.”

 

“What? That is ridiculous!”

 

“I agree with Soo, Yul. This is too much.”

 

“I only have this year to improve Soo. Next year is Olympics and I can’t loss another second.”

 

Sooyoung raised her hands in defeat. Taeyeon shook her head and took her bag.

 

“Okay, but if you want to join us call me.”

 

Yuri forced a smile. She really wanted to follow them but she can’t.

 

“I will. Have fun.”

 

…..

 

Yuri changed into her swimming suit and grabbed her favourite pair of goggles. She headed out of the locker room towards the main pool. She took a deep breath and jumped into the pool letting her body soak with water. She wore her swimming cap and googles before diving into the water starting her . She slowly taking her time on each letting her body became familiar with the water. Once she reached the other end of the pool, Yuri stopped swimming and climbed out of the pool. She got up the block and positioned herself. She counted inside and dived in starting her first heat. Her both arms swings forward alternate with her head popping out of the water then back inside while she took another swinging forwards. Yuri gave her all and reach the other side of the pool. She turned around and gave a hard kick propelling her forward a few feet before starting her . She kept her pace and her breathing. Yuri keep doing the same thing until she reach the other end and started it all over again. She can’t time her lapses by her own but she can feel if her usual speed decrease or not on every turn. After a few more rounds, she finally stopped and breathed heavily. She cursed herself knowing on the 7 lapse, she’s a little slower. She punched the water splashing it all over her. She’s mad at herself and it’s not good. Yuri took off her swimming cap and threw it on dry land along with her googles.

 

“Why can’t I sustained my breathing?!”

 

She’s angered at her body who sometimes refuse to listen to her and took a few too many breath in between .

 

“You know there’s a law in physic about swimming posture.”

 

Yuri looked up and saw Jessica standing there possibly watching her from the start. Jessica looked around and nonchalantly dived in the pool with her shirt and jeans. Yuri gasped.

 

“Yah! You’re going to be soaking wet!”

 

Jessica run her hands along her forehead backwards so that her wet hair doesn’t covering her face.

 

“This is so refreshing! Wohoo!”

 

Yuri anger seems to be gone watching as Jessica just having fun in water without care and if her coach saw this right now, Jessica would be scolded for diving in without a swimsuit.

 

“You’re crazy Sica!”

 

“Well, I am!”

 

Jessica laughed and started swimming around. She’s having fun doing this. Yuri just watched as Jessica swimming around her.

 

“How did you know I’m here?” Yuri can’t help but ask. Jessica change her swimming posture to backstroke easing her way around water.

 

“Well I saw your friends leaving the school ground probably hanging out and you weren’t there. So I assume your moody mood had something to do with swimming and here I am.”

 

“Coach Lim is going to be angry if he knew someone else is inside the indoor pool.”

 

Jessica stopped swimming in front of Yuri and wrapped her arms around the tan girl neck totally letting Yuri do the effort floating them.

 

“He doesn’t have to know. Plus you can’t have fun outside so I brought in the fun with me.”

 

Yuri rested her hands on Jessica waist holding her. An evil smile creeping up her lips.

 

“I like your kind of fun. What is it?”

 

Jessica playfully wrinkling her nose and pretend to think. Yuri narrowed her eyes on the latter.

 

“You came unprepared?”

 

Jessica laughed and the bottom of her lips in a seductive way. Yuri do enjoy watching Jessica teasing her.

 

“Nah, I’m here to tell you that I can help you with your swimming.”

 

Yuri was actually surprise. Not that she looked down on Jessica abilities but if it’s about swimming then she’s the master here.

 

“I doubt you can.”

 

Jessica like challenges and she’s not smart for nothing. She bite her lips and caressing the back of Yuri’s neck.

 

“Force is equal to mass times acceleration. I saw your turn around. When you turn around, you need mass momentum to change direction. With right force and right timing, you can get that perfect momentum. So pulled back the water as much as you can and keep your head as low as you can. Cupped the water if you must. Law of action and reaction.”

 

“. You got to be kidding me. You deducting swimming just with physics?”

 

Jessica placed her palm on Yuri’s cheek.

 

“Everything around us are physics related. Even swimming. But I must say Yul. You are that good. You just pushing yourself too much and ended up making small mistakes in between lapses.”

 

Jessica kissed Yuri’s cheek and distanced herself away from Yuri but staring into her eyes.

 

“Forcing yourself will only pulled on your muscle and you might get injured.”

 

Jessica started swimming away and Yuri watched in envy. How ca she be this happy while her head is full this knowledge that she knew nothing about. Yes she knew swimming related with physics; buoyancy especially but not to the extent of details. Yuri swam towards Jessica and go around her front stopping her. Jessica was a bit surprise with Yuri’s speed catching up. Yuri rest her hands on her waist again but pushing their body to the pool side wall.

 

“Do you want me to show you how it’s done Yul?” Jessica almost stuttered when she felt her back on the pool side wall. Yuri eyes travel from her lips downwards on her wet shirt and then come back up to the eyes.

 

“You’re playing and teasing way too much Sica.”

 

“Am I?”

 

“Can your science explain this?” Jessica didn’t get to answer when Yuri lips landed on hers kissing her. It was sensational for her and she can feel and tasted her lips as they deepen the kiss. Yuri caressing her waist earning a soft growl coming from Jessica’s mouth and Yuri smirked and french kissing her. Jessica moaned even more when Yuri’s tongue filling . It was breathtaking kissing in water while she’s soaking wet and Yuri is in her swimsuits. Kind of hot too. Yuri finally pulled away with both of them heavily breathing. Yuri leaned forward letting their forehead touch and a smile forming on her lips.

 

“What law is that Sica?”

 

They both were staring intently at each other remembering the taste of each other lips.

 

“Combination of Adrenaline, Dopamine and Serotonin; Law of attraction.”

 

Yuri laughed a little when Jessica still can explain attraction with science. Jessica can’t help but laughing too joining Yuri contagious laugh. A week and it seems science can’t explain the reason behind this attraction.

 

…..

 

Unknown to the two teenager in the pool, a figure had been standing there since the beginning and watched every interaction of them from the top stands near the exit door.

 

“I see.”

 

A smile forming on her lips and quietly she left the indoor pool.