Conflict

Dream High

This is nerve wrecking. She had entered countless of swimming competition before but the level of nervousness tonight surpass all of it. This is making her crazy. Her hands sweating, her heart beating fast and she can feels her blood drained out of her system making her skin look pale rather than tan. She hadn’t yet turn off her engine when she heard a knocking on her window. It was Jessica bend down a little so that they are on the same eye level. Yuri pull herself together as she let the power window down.

 

“Hey..Sica.”

 

“I saw you from my room’s window. Why didn’t ring the bell and why are you still in your car?”

 

Yuri puckered her bottom lips as she saw Jessica lips tugging into a teasing smile. She’s busted. Big time.

 

“My swimming genius is freaking her out.”

 

Yuri had no idea whether she should be happy when Jessica said her swimming genius or hate her girlfriend for being able to read whatever she’s feeling right now.

 

“It’s nerve wrecking okay? At least half of earth population freaking out when they had to meet the parents.”

 

Jessica chuckled as she open Yuri’s side door and took her girlfriend’s hand and guiding her out of her car. She cupped Yuri’s face and she leaned forward. It was just a peck on the lips but that is enough to at least tone down the nervousness in Yuri.

 

“Calm down Yul. Daddy just want to meet you.”

 

“Meet me? More like he wanted to know the girl who’s banging her daughter when he’s not around.”

 

Jessica pinch both Yuri’s cheek so that she will stop talking. Yuri tend to be so random when she’s nervous and although it is funny in other times, she finds it nonsense right now. Yuri groan and gently push Jessica away so that she can save her cheek from getting red. She rub her sore cheek as Jessica wrapping her right hand around Yuri’s left arm.

 

“Daddy want to meet everyone is close to me or Krystal. So calm down and just be yourself. Okay, not your random self. Just yourself.”

 

“I am myself!” Yuri frustratingly said pointing out the obvious. Jessica rub Yuri arm that she’s holding to now.

 

“Come on. We should get in and get this over with.”

 

Yuri mumbling some incoherent words as Jessica led her inside facing her doom. Or so she thought.

 

….

 

“Eh eat some more Yul! You need all the vitamins for trainings!”

 

Daniel Jung scoop some more curry and place it on Yuri’s plate. Yuri eyes widen as she see all sorts of food in her plate. She glanced at Jessica whom sitting opposite of her signalling her girlfriend that this is way too many for her small tummy.

 

“Daddy, Yuri can’t eat all of that.”

 

“Sooyeon, all athletes need good food for a healthy body. Plus your mom cook a lot for tonight. Yul, eat some more.”

 

“S-Sure Mr Jung.” Yuri reluctantly stuffing all the foods piling in her plate. Seungyon comes out of the chicken bringing more foods and meats. Jessica frown as Krystal obviously enjoying the feast.

 

“Have some grill meat, Yul.” Seungyon pick up a few and adding it on Yuri’s already full plate. It will be rude as hell if she said no so Yuri say nothing and just devouring every single food her tummy can take. She might gain weight after tonight’s dinner. Krystal grab a few salads and place it on another plate before handing over at Yuri who’s sitting next to her. Yuri is sweating like a pig by now. Jessica felt sorry for Yuri but her mother made her sitting next to her instead of Yuri so it’s kind of hard for both of them.

 

“Yuri unni, is it true that you never dated before?” Krystal break the laughter shared by Seungyon and Daniel. Yuri almost choke but remain in control as she take a huge sip from her glass of water. Jessica kick Krystal on her shin but groan in pain as she forgot how hard her little sister shin is.

 

“I uh.. I never dated anyone before. It’s true.”

 

“Are you serious Yuri? Isn’t high school is about trying all sorts of things?” Seungyon question Yuri as Daniel focus on Yuri waiting for the girl to answer his wife question. Yuri awkwardly smile.

 

“My parents had my daily schedule fills up so that I won’t be entertaining some random stuff. They want me to focus on my future as a professional swimmer. Not that I’m complaining but I kind owe it to my parents that I didn’t ended up wasting time instead finding things that I like to do like swimming.”

 

Daniel put down his utensils as he get into his serious mood. Yuri sense it and it will be stupid of her if she didn’t want to pay attention. Gone the playful Daniel Jung just this once.

 

“The same goes for me too Yuri. I let Jessica enjoy her high school but at the same time I want her to build her own future. Call it stupid but every parents wanted the best for their child. If I think anything or anyone can jeopardize that bright future I want her to have, then I will be the one stepping in. Do you understand me Yuri?”

 

Is that a threat? Or is he testing her? Yuri saw Jessica stern face from the corner of her eyes. She seems angry. Yuri decided that she needs to be careful answering this.

 

“Of course I do understand sir. I want the best for her too and I’m going to help her in any way I can so that we both can have that bright future ahead.”

 

Yuri didn’t continue as she just stay silent after uttering that. She was hoping he would understand her too. Daniel lips tugging into a wide grin as he slap Yuri on her back almost pushing her down on the table.

 

“That is an honest answer Kwon Yuri! Okay, I approve of you marrying my girl! Sooyeon, take care of Yuri okay?!”

 

Jessica face palm herself as she had to endure watching her father being silly with Yuri. Hyori just laughing it off while Krystal obviously playing dumb and eat her food in peace leaving Jessica a little embarrass by Daniel weird behaviour today. Yuri glance back at Jessica as she had that shy smile on her face. Okay, time to stop Daniel Jung.

 

“Daddy, we’re not going to finish eating at this rate.”

 

Daniel Jung burst out laughing at his daughter remarks.

 

“Okay, okay. I can’t let my daughter temper arise, aren’t we Yul?” Daniel elbow Yuri on her shoulder earning a muffle and terrifying yes from the latter who’s now afraid of her girlfriend intense look at her. She forcefully gulp her saliva as she stuffing foods again in .

 

‘Thanks to Mr Jung, Sica is going to be angry at me.’

 

…..

 

“I wasn’t kidding when I told you that I want the best for my kids.”

 

Daniel words surprise Yuri. They were the only one in the living room while Jessica is helping her mother getting the desert ready. Krystal had gone to her room answering a call probably from her friend. Yuri fidgeting on her seat as she felt the atmosphere slowly getting serious again.

 

“I’m not kidding either.”

 

Daniel folds his arm as he keep staring back at Yuri.

 

“I’m going to be direct with you. Your father is my boss and I can sense he wouldn’t like it if you’re dating Jessica.”

 

Yuri tighten her hold on the hem of her shirt. Daniel notice it. He let out a sighing.

 

“I thought this love you two have are somehow can be just a puppy love but as I see the way you were looking at Jessica and vice versa, I don’t think so anymore.”

 

Yuri brace herself as right now might be the time when Daniel would ask her to leave.

 

“If I ask you to leave Jessica and stop contacting her, would you do so Yuri?”

 

This is it. The one question she was hoping she wouldn’t have heard it from other people except her parents whom she knew well can say it without emotions.

 

“Mr Jung, I… I can’t.”

 

“Your dad made it clear to me that he will do anything he can to make sure nothing stands in your way to future success. That wall that he mention is Jessica and as her father, I can’t let that happen. You only knew her this year so leaving shouldn’t be hurtful enough. Can you leave my daughter and move on?”

 

Yuri felt tears pooling in her eyes but shake it off as she reminded herself that she’s going to overcome anything at this rate. She balled up her fist.

 

“I love Jessica sir. You can ask me to leave right now but I will always find my way around so that I can be with her again. I just can’t leave her. I’m sorry.”

 

She avoid looking directly into his eyes as she held her head low staring onto the floor. Having the thought of her father against her is normal but Daniel too? It’s beyond her logic. Daniel clear his throat gaining Yuri attention back at him. He had a small smile as he pat Yuri on her shoulder.

 

“Promise me Yuri, no matter what happen you will not hurt Jessica.”

 

“I promise. I will not hurt her.” Yuri didn’t know why but whatever this conversation is about to Daniel, for her this conversation somehow help her gaining more strength and confidence when the time comes for her to step up in front of her own parents.

 

…..

 

“What did you and daddy talked about when I was in the kitchen?”

 

Jessica is leaning against the side of Yuri’s car while Yuri trapping her between her hands as they standing facing each other. As likeable the night is, it was time for Yuri to go home before her parents notice she’s not around.

 

“Random things.”

 

“I leave you with daddy for a whole 30 minutes long and you guys just talk random topics?”

 

Yuri shrugged it off as she lean forward hoping to get that goodnight kiss. But Jessica doesn’t think the same as she place her pointing finger on Yuri’s lips stopping the later from leaning even forward.

 

“Uh?”

 

“You refuse to tell me and you’re expecting me to let you kiss me?”

 

“Sica, I’m going home and sleeping alone without you so a kiss can at least help me get through the night.”

 

“You’re making no sense at all. No kiss Kwon.”

 

Yuri pouts as she flash her puppy looks that Jessica hated so much because she would always give in everytime she did it. She tried pushing Yuri away but Yuri hold on tight hoping Jessica would just let her have that damn kiss.

 

“No.”

 

“Baby..”

 

Jessica get herself out of Yuri’s hold and push Yuri towards her car. Yuri groan as Jessica placed her elbow on Yuri’s back holding her down on her car.

 

“This is what I get just because I want to kiss my girlfriend?”

 

“This is what you get when you’re keeping secrets from me. Spill it out. What did daddy told you?”

 

“Ughhh, my smart girlfriend is so violent.”

 

Jessica put a little force on Yuri’s back.

 

“I was telling you the truth. We had some random conversations. Mostly about sports.”

 

“You’re not lying aren’t you?”

 

“Baby, why would I lied? Please let me go?”

 

Jessica pondered on her options. She knew Yuri like the back of her hand. But knowing Yuri, the more you demand to know, she’ll becomes even more secretive. Jessica let of her hold. Yuri turn around whining about the pain on her back.

 

“Sica…my back..” Jessica rolls her eyes as she cup Yuri’s face and kiss her hard on the lips. Yuri smile into the kiss. They enjoy the moment for a while although it is kind of embarrassing for Yuri to be kissing Jessica in front of her parents’ house. The finally pull away as Yuri kiss Jessica on the cheek and smile as she gets into her car. She let the window down so that she can see Jessica clearly from inside.

 

“Goodnight.”

 

Jessica right palm gently landed on Yuri’s cheek caressing the soft skin of the tan girl.

 

“Drive safely okay?”

 

“I know. See you at school.”

 

Jessica nodding as Yuri get ready to drive away but before she could, Jessica placed her hands on the door. Yuri glanced back at Jessica with her raised eyebrow as if asking her why. Jessica tilted her head and peck Yuri’s lips.

 

“Goodnight my swimming genius.”

 

Yuri was grinning so much that it might reach her ears soon.

 

“Goodnight smart .”

 

…..

 

“Jessica.” Jessica stop on her tracks as soon as she heard that familiar voice. She was on her way to a convenient store. She turn around facing the owner of the voice.

 

“Yeri.”

 

Yeri had her hands inside her jacket pocket as she remain emotionless. Jessica wandered why is she here? Revenge over her school defeat against hers?

 

“I was looking for you.”

 

“If you feel your defeats unjustified, you can always lodge a report to the officials. Let’s not bring this outside okay?” Jessica really didn’t want to fight Yeri out of school like this. It’s not good for her or her teammates.

 

“I’m not here for that.”

 

“Then why are you here? This is not your neighbourhood.”

 

Yeri look around. She can’t stay here for long.

 

“Kwon SangWoo came to me the day I was defeated by your school. He offered me a scholarship and funds for my college as long as I wanted in exchange with information regarding you.”

 

Jessica felt her heart literally stop beating. SangWoo confined with Yeri and go as far as this just to bring her down? So her assumptions about SangWoo knowing her relationships with Yuri is true. He knew already.

 

“What did you tell him?”

 

Yeri sigh as she rub the back of her neck.

 

“I might hate you but I don’t think he wanted to know more about you because of Yuri. I didn’t say anything and left. Watch your back Jung. He’s crazy.”

 

“So he knew.”

 

Yeri sneer when Jessica unconsciously mumbles that.

 

“You’re dating his daughter; South Korea Olympics gold medal prospect. He clearly made it a point in all of his interview that love can only deter Yuri away from her future. Just watch your back. I already warning you.”

 

Then it occurs to Jessica. Why would Yeri help her? This would be the most appropriate way for revenge.

 

“Why are you helping me?”

 

Yeri sarcastically laugh.

 

“I’m not helping you. I’m helping love. I know how it feels to have people going against you and your lover. It’s ing hurt.”

 

“Yeri..”

 

Yeri shook her head.

 

“Stop sympathizing with me. I did what I came to do. Everything else falls on you. Good luck Jung.”

 

Yeri turn around and walk away leaving Jessica rooted on the floor. The warning from Yeri came right on time but what can she do to solve this? Unless SangWoo confronting her, the only thing she can do is stay by Yuri’s side and helping her out in all ways she can. Hopefully her parents would realize, they needed each other. She needs Yuri. Since the very beginning.

 

 

This is way too much drama.