First Meeting

Dream High

Sometimes when you’re currently doing something, your mind unconsciously wandered to other things; life, family and maybe money. To others, it might be a bad distraction but there are people who needed it as a boast so that they’re going to do well. That’s how Yuri describe herself. Each equals to a different story. Different thoughts.

 

“One more lap Yul!”

 

Yuri dive in the water and turned her body around. She had her timing perfectly calculated when her feet touch the pool wall and gave a hard push to the front giving her more forward force. She started her once again. One arm at a time. She maintained her rhythm despite already swimming for 175m. This will be her final lap. Once she reached the half lane, Yuri forced her arm to move faster and kicking her legs even more increasing her speed. She gave her all. She hadn’t take in any breathing since turning. Her only goal is to reach the touch pad and timed her laps.

 

“Okay!”

 

She felt her lung screamed for air the moment her palm reach the board. She forced her head up so that she can breathe normally and just like any athletes, she took off her googles and looked at her coach who is seen smiling so wide.

 

“2 minutes and 08 seconds! Good job!”

 

Yuri felt a huge load were taken off her shoulders when her couch announced it. She spit out some water from and pushed herself out of the pool. This is her daily routine and she’s been doing it for as long as she remembered. Everyone said she’s talented and one day South Korea will be proud of her when she stood on the podium at Olympics; the highest peak of any athletes’ career. Her coach, Coach Lim walked towards her and handed her a towel. Yuri wipe her body while he continue talking.

 

“You can still shorten your timing for around 2 seconds if you get the first perfected after turnaround. That wasn’t so perfect. Plus your arms bend a little when you reach midway. Be wary of that.”

 

“Okay.”

 

She wrapped the towel around her body that is only covered by her one piece swimsuit. She pushed her hair back.

 

“But overall you did well for today. Get some rest.”

 

She flashed him a sincere smile.

 

“Thank you coach.”

 

He pat her shoulder and walked away leaving Yuri standing there alone. When the door to the indoor pool closed behind him, Yuri let out a heavy breathing.

 

“Get some rest huh?”

 

This routine is starting to annoy her so much. She had to sacrifice a lot of time for swimming practices and not to mention her diets that her parents set it for her. They said all of these are good for her and her future in swimming. She hadn’t gone to a single party arranged by her classmate and haven’t even tasted what is high school is all about. She might be popular but with her hectic training schedule and strict diet, she couldn’t make a lot of friends. But thankfully she have two close friends; Sooyoung and Taeyeon. Sooyoung is a part of the school basketball team and Taeyeon is in the football team. So they kind of befriends with each other considering how hectic the two training schedules are although it wasn’t as crazy as hers. Suwon All Girls Institution take a lot of pride from having athlete stars attending schools here. It helps boast the school ranks among all the private institution. Yuri looked up towards the wall clock.

 

“5.00 PM. I guess Taeyeon is done too.”

 

Yuri take a look around. Sometimes she can relate her heart with the silence of the indoor pool; it felt lonely. Swimming was her only way to kill time. She’s 17 and still a loner. What a life.

 

…..

 

“Okay that’s for today! Same time here tomorrow, understand?!”

 

“Yes coach!” Everyone answered in unison. Taeyeon wiped away some sweats from her forehead and untucked her jersey. Today was a bit hot to be honest and her coach had taken the training drill to another level. He might still be affected by the team lost in the final of National under 18. So he started this crazy training since the start of new term a week ago. A palm landed on Taeyeon’s shoulder earning attention from her. It was Hyoyeon.

 

“Want to hang out tonight? Min is organizing a party at her sorority house. You, Sooyoung and Yul are invited.”

 

Taeyeon thought for a while. Min’s sorority party is always good. She knew how to throw a party. But there might be a problem.

 

“I don’t think Yuri would come. You know how strict her parents are.”

 

“She always missed out on the great stuffs. Can’t you persuade her?”

 

Taeyeon head turned towards the fan stands and saw Yuri sitting there alone with her duffel bag probably.

 

“How about you ask her yourself? She’s over there.”

 

Hyoyeon looked at where Taeyeon is looking at. She grin. Maybe she can persuade Yuri this time.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

…..

 

Yuri saw two figures walking towards her. By the way they walk she can guess whom it were; Hyoyeon and Taeyeon. She is waiting Taeyeon but Hyoyeon? That girl might have something under her sleeve and she should be ready for it.

 

“Hey Yul!”

 

“Hyo. Fancy seeing you after a week.”

 

Hyoyeon chuckled and sat down next to Yuri while Taeyeon took out her water bottle.

 

“You’re the one locking yourself inside the indoor pool and refuse on playing with me. It’s only the start of our senior year. Been barely a week.”

 

Yuri just smile and shook her head. Taeyeon only keep her silence and watched as her two friends talking to each other.

 

“I don’t have time for rest. National’s competition are coming. If I want to be push up into the senior national team, I have to win first place again.”

 

Hyoyeon knew about that. Yuri is the famous athlete in this school and everyone is anticipating to see her swimming. She also knew that the national team is waiting to include Yuri in their team so that she can start her training with them. She wrapped her left arm around Yuri’s shoulder.

 

“Then you should come to Min’s party so that you can let go some stress.”

 

Yuri raised her eyebrow over Hyoyeon invitation.

 

“You know my mom won’t let me go.”

 

“I know but she doesn’t have to know.”

 

Yuri politely pushed Hyoyeon arm from her shoulder. Taeyeon still keep her eye on the two of them.

 

“It’s tempting but I can’t Hyo. Tell Min I’m sorry.”

 

Hyoyeon sighed and stood up.

 

“If you say so but if you changed your mind, you can still come.”

 

“I’ll remember that.”

 

Hyoyeon left the two and go back to her friends. Yuri just watched as Hyoyeon left them. Taeyeon raised an eyebrow.

 

“You should have said yes. It’s been a long time since you’ve gone to any party.”

 

Yuri glanced towards Taeyeon and groaned.

 

“You should have known by now that I can’t go to party. Mom want me to keep my health in check for trainings and competitions.”

 

“Yul, this is too much. How many friends have you made up since you came to this school?”

 

“A few.”

 

Taeyeon looked at her in disbelieve.

 

“A few? Other than Soo and I, who else?”

 

Yuri racked her brain try coming up with a few names that can totally stop Taeyeon from questioning her.

 

“Err, Hyo?”

 

“Hyo is just one person. Who else?”

 

“ you Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon burst into a fit of laughter when Yuri curse her. When she’s cornered, Yuri tend to curse or glare at the person who cornering her. Yuri folded her arms and eyeing Taeyeon hoping she can dig a hole through her friend’s forehead.

 

“Now you’ve seen what I meant? Come on. Join us tonight. You can tell your mom that you’re staying with me at the dorm. She never going to suspect anything as long as you don’t get hammered.”

 

Yuri can’t denied the truth in Taeyeon’s words. She might be famous but what is it about being famous if you don’t have friends? She didn’t like it but lying to her mom won’t do her good. What if she suddenly came to check on her and found out that she’s not in Taeyeon’s room? There’s go the rest of her freedom.

 

“No. I’ll just go home but thanks anyway.”

 

“You’re going to miss out a lot. Who knows if you can actually find love? I thought you want to try and fall in love? This could be your chance.”

 

Yuri chuckled.

 

“I doubt I would find one tonight.”

 

“Suit yourself.”

 

“TaeTae!”

 

Both girls were a little shocked when Tiffany came and jumped on Taeyeon’s back. The shorter girl groaned a little but she quickly smile knowing who it was. Yuri rolled her eyes.

 

“Great timing Fany.”

 

Tiffany sticking her tongue out at Yuri. Taeyeon turned around and kissed Tiffany’s forehead.

 

“How’s the student body meeting?”

 

“Bad to worst but I manage on scaring Gyuri off. She won’t be a pain in the anymore.”

 

Taeyeon pecks her lips and Yuri grimace watching the love birds making out in front of her. But then she envied when she saw how caring is Tiffany towards Taeyeon and how Taeyeon’s eyes brighten up when she saw Tiffany. They really love each other and she can see it in their eyes. Yuri never fall in love before and never had someone important enough to spent time with on a free day. Her mom forbid her on falling in love saying that right now is not the time for teenage love. She should think about her future in swimming. How she wish she can find someone she can take care and love with all her heart.

 

‘You’re going to miss out a lot. Who knows if you can actually find love? I thought you want to try and fall in love? This could be your chance.’

 

Taeyeon’s word echoed inside her head as if mocking her of her pathetic life. Maybe just this once she should listen to what her heart wanted. Maybe this one time she deserve a break.

 

…..

 

Yuri parked her car on the roadside and watched as some students are outside of the house partying hard and some were inside or near the pool with music blasting through multiple speakers. She told her mom she’s going to spend the night in Taeyeon’s dorm finishing some math assignment. She’s lucky that her mother was a little bit chirpy and let her go without asking too much or she would have seen through her lies and be busted. Yuri looked around hoping she can spotted her friends and she saw them near the pool where Tiffany is straddling Taeyeon and eating each other faces out while Sooyoung is randomly having two girls around her dancing.

 

“Such a player move Soo.”

 

A loud knock came from her front window. Yuri saw Hyoyeon bend a little so that they are on the same eye level. Yuri rolled down her car window and Hyoyeon placed her arm on her car door.

 

“Well well well. If it wasn’t Kwon Yuri. I knew you would have come.”

 

“I thought of coming and say hi.”

 

“Dude, you’re missing out a lot right now. Everyone would be ecstatic knowing you came.”

 

Yuri rubbed the back of her neck. Hyoyeon sense her friend hesitation and quickly opening the door wide and pulled Yuri out. She then grabbed her car keys and locked back the door before slipping the keys into her short pocket.

 

“Welcome to the best party in the world!”

 

Yuri just grin as Hyoyeon pulled her inside gaining attention from various students around who looked surprise knowing that Kwon Yuri finally dirtied her shoe and come to a party. A lot of them started greeting her and some even shoved a cold beer and she just grabbed it while Hyoyeon dragging her to the pool. Sooyoung eyes brighten when she saw Yuri and wrapped her arms around the two girl she’s flirting with and made her way towards them.

 

“Yul!”

 

Hyoyeon let Yuri go when Sooyoung pulled the tan girl in for a hug before back wrapping her arms around the girls shoulder.

 

“Hayoung and Em, this is Kwon Yuri; the swimming genius.”

 

“We know who she is. She’s popular okay.”

 

“Yup and she’s my bestfriend. Taeng! Fany!”

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany stopped making out and glanced towards where Sooyoung called them from. Both of them quickly got their way towards Yuri. Tiffany hugged Yuri while Taeyeon slapped her back hard. Yuri groaned.

 

“God Taeng. Stop abusing me.”

 

“What? For godsake, I already told myself that I’m going to smack you if one day you finally agree to follow us to a party. Thank god!”

 

Yuri let her friend laughing at her when her eyes caught on a girl standing on a table and swinging her hips like crazy. Hyoyeon saw what she’s looking at and can’t help but giving Yuri information regarding the crazy girl on the table.

 

“That my friend is Jessica Jung; a valedictorian.”

 

Yuri eyes were still on Jessica who just took out her boot and swinging it around before tossing it into the pool. Hyoyeon smirked.

 

“She’s beautiful right? She always party hard but if you thinking of having a hot later on, keep dreaming girl. She ain’t let anyone touching her .”

 

“She’s weird.”

 

“Weird is sort of her thing too. The only thing that we can associates her with the nerdy group is she’s a .”

 

Yuri raised an eyebrow at Hyoyeon before back at Jessica who just taken off her jacket and twirling it around her finger. She have to admit, she’s beautiful. Yuri sense that Jessica legs shaking a little. A sign of overdose alcohol.

 

“She’s hammered.”

 

“Well this is a party. Getting drunks are probably a fix rule in a teenage party.”

 

Sooyoung then added. “I tried getting her to bed but let just say she’s not the kind of hot you wanted after a great party. If you want a hot , I heard Kahi have been fantasizing you since junior high. She said and I quoted, your stamina might be able to knock her off the right way.”

 

Yuri dissed Sooyoung’s off when the tall girl left with her companion. Tiffany lean forward so that she doesn’t have to scream so that Yuri can hear her.

 

“Jess just like partying a lot. She’s not as what Sooyoung just said. Her way of releasing stress is by partying and getting drunk later on.”

 

Yuri cocked an eyebrow at Tiffany.

 

“She’s your friend?”

 

“Sort of. I hated her when she out score me in tests which she did all the time but I like her when we just talk random things.”

 

“Go and dance or play those dirty games okay? Fany and I have business to attend to.”

 

When Taeyeon meant business, Yuri doesn’t have to be told twice what it meant. What else from the most erted senior in school? Yuri emptied her cup and trashed it away while keeping her eyes on Jessica who look even drunken more.

 

‘She’s going to fall soon.’

 

Her guesses was right when Jessica put her foot outside of the table and loses her balance. Yuri quickly dashed towards her and she fall on her arms with Yuri arms wrapping around her waist and Jessica’s arms around her neck. She can definitely hear whistles and screaming coming from everyone that is watching around her but Yuri kept her eyes on Jessica who is staring back at her as intense as she did.

 

“Got you.”

 

“I’m not drunk if you think I am.” Yuri almost laughed when Jessica slurring a little.

 

“Yeah anything you said.”

 

They were still in each other arms.

 

“You don’t believe me?”

 

“You dance on a table, threw your boot inside the pool and your jacket is nowhere to be found. Yeah you’re not drunk.”

 

Yuri waited for Jessica answers when the other girl suddenly bursting laughing her heart out. Yuri grin spread wider almost reaching her ears. Yuri helped her walking away and reach her car. She scooted her up her car bonnet who had cool down. Jessica legs are spread wide so that she can nestle in between. Her hands are still on the girl waist.

 

“I forgot.” Jessica slurring again.

 

“About what?”

 

“Hello there stranger who I just met.”

 

“This stranger have a name. It’s Kwon Yuri.”

 

Yuri smile when she see Jessica making all this weird expression as she’s thinking of something. Then her eyes widen. She pointed at Yuri.

 

“I remember you!”

 

Yuri was totally taken back.

 

“You did?”

 

Yuri face forcefully turn facing her right side when Jessica slap her hard. She held her cheek when Jessica pulled her collar.

 

“You stole my bra!”

 

“What?!”

 

Jessica tried slapping Yuri again but she suddenly lost her consciousness and fall towards Yuri who still holding onto her cheek where Jessica just slap.

 

“Great. Not a night I wish for.”