Fear of Failure

Dream High

It seems I'm losing readers over my fast updates. It's weird. You guys don't like fast updates? I can always go back to slow updates. I'm okay with it. hehe. Anyway, enjoy~~

 

Jessica and Yuri is currently on the school roof top as Yuri is helping Jessica for her NAT semi-finals preparation. They were sitting on the floor against a wall as the overhanging slab shading them from the heat and the wind blowing helped them getting comfortable. Jessica seems to be so relax answering all her questions that it raised the tan girl curiosity.

 

“What is the hardest question that you’ve ever got before?”

 

Yuri asked as she closed the book in her hands. Jessica managed on answering all the questions she threw at her. She didn’t eve hesitate for a while so it occurred to Yuri, has Jessica encountered any question that she couldn’t answer before? Jessica took off her reading glasses as she closed her eyes and let her head resting on Yuri’s shoulder.

 

“There’s no hard questions Yul. Every question has an answer. It’s either you know about it or not.”

 

“You’ve never really got any wrong answer?”

 

Jessica didn’t answer but Yuri didn’t want to force her nor pushing her. So she let her girlfriend take her own little time to find the perfect comeback.

 

“In a competition? Never.”

 

Yuri wrapped her arm around Jessica shoulder as she brings their body closer. Between the two, Yuri prefers showing off their intimate relationship while Jessica is more of a timid side but she didn’t object to Yuri’s behaviour.

 

“How about in a real life?”

 

“In a real life, I don’t know. It depends. How about you? Do you have any questions that never had any answers before?”

 

She’s changing the topics again. Yuri had notice it since the night she sent her home after their Deadpool movie date. It’s not like she’s distancing herself or avoiding her but there’s moments where she caught Jessica spacing out and when she asked, Jessica would avoid it and change the topics. Whenever their conversation get to certain point, her girlfriend will avoid it. She can’t pinpoint what type of questions were it since all their conversations are on random topics. Is it because she did something? But Jessica wasn’t avoiding her at all. She’s still affectionate. It’s weird.

 

“Sica?”

 

“Yeah?” Jessica hummed with her eyes still close. Yuri decided that she should at least get to the bottom of this. She used her strength and carry Jessica whole body on her lap facing her as she’s holding her bum. Jessica yelped in surprise but calm down as soon as she knew what Yuri is doing. Yuri is looking straight into her eyes that she felt like her stare digging through the back of her skull.

 

“Do you have something to tell me?”

 

Her gaze was so intense that Jessica almost loose her calm demeanour. Whatever insecurities that Yuri’s feeling right now, she’s not going to let it lingering around. But not the expense of lying to her.

 

“Why do you think that I’m hiding anything from you?”

 

“I…I don’t know. I just feels it. You’ve change topics countless times.”

 

Jessica giggled as she kissed her girlfriend pointy nose as she circling her arms around Yuri neck.

 

“Yul, I’m not hiding anything. Maybe because I’m always tired when we’re together and you start to assume that I’m hiding things. I didn’t purposely change any topics. I just talk about anything like I always do.”

 

Yuri narrowing her eyes as she’s sceptical over her answer. Jessica on the other hand remained calm.

 

“Really?”

 

“Really.”

 

“Promise?”

 

“Promise. I’m fine.”

 

Yuri expression didn’t change at all. Jessica push both her palms on Yuri’s chubby cheek pressing it together. It’s funny seeing Yuri face.

 

“Stop thinking about it. You should think about your next game in Kazan. I want to see you win.”

 

“Should I win it for you?”

 

Yuri replied as she caressing Jessica’s side waist feeling the contour of her body. Jessica pulled her hands away as she leaning towards Yuri nuzzling their nose together earning a wide smile on Yuri’s lips.

 

“I wouldn’t mind if you do that but win it for yourself. Just that.” Her breathless whisper send chills down Yuri’s spine. Jessica shifting a little as she trail light kisses along the length of Yuri’s perfect neck as Yuri close her eyes enjoying the tease from the latter.

 

“I-I will if you win your semis too.”

 

“Of course.” Jessica mumbled as she’s enjoying the touch of her lips on Yuri’s skin. Yuri has a healthy skin although she’s more of a slightly darker tone. But she like it nevertheless. She prefers Yuri’s type of skin colour than Taeyeon’s pale white. Her girlfriend look ier with the dark tone. Jessica Yuri’s first button and tugging it aside as she reach the dip between her shoulder and neck. Yuri hummed as Jessica lightly playing around the area. Yuri’s tightened her hold on Jessica waist as the latter taking a taste off her skin and biting heightening her lust over the shorter girl.

 

“Oh god.” Yuri is 100% arouse when Jessica finally pulling away and she was sure that there’s a red spot that is going to turn purple later on. Jessica smirks as she see Yuri’s face flush a little. She knows Yuri is ready to pounce on her but she had it all calculated. The moment Yuri fluttering her eyes open, the school bells ring indicating 3rd period is about to start. Yuri groaned displease.

 

“What…the..?”

 

Jessica get out of Yuri’s hold and stood up taking along her books. She hugged it on her chest as her lips tugging into a teasing smile watching an unsatisfied Yuri.

 

“Let’s go Yul?”

 

Yuri sigh as she pushed herself up and button back her clothes. She run her fingers down the length of her hair when Jessica hugging her left arm.

 

“Bad timing is the only reason why I’m not taking you here right now.”

 

“I know.”

 

Yuri succumbed to her unlucky situations as she led the both of them towards the roof top entrance and send Jessica to her class before she’s gone to hers. Maybe next time she would destroy the school bell so that that thing won’t be blocking her the next time. Yeah that sounds legit.

 

‘See your doom you freaking school bell!’

 

…..

 

“2.04.01! Nice round!”

 

Coach Lim gave her a thumbs up as Yuri pulled herself up the ledge and sat down with legs dangling inside the water. She has been training for 4 hours non-stop and still stuck at 2.04. She had to go for 2.03 just to be sure that first place will be hers or there are going to be a hell of competition.

 

“I need to be a little faster.”

 

Coach Lim knelt on his right knee as he showed Yuri her progress chart for over the week.

 

“You did well. With this kind of time, I’m sure you can do well in Kazan. We’re not going there for qualifications Yul. We’re there as your final test. You’re already qualified. So, put away all those unnecessary pressure and stay focus.”

 

Yuri exhale heavily as she dived back into the water. She put back her googles and gave a thumbs up towards her coach.

 

“Yul, you need a rest! We should minimize your risk injury!” Coach Lim yelled as he was a little surprise when she jumped back into the pool.

 

“One more round. Last timing!”

 

Coach Lim shook his head as Yuri dived into the water get into her starting position inside the pool without being on the podium. This kind of method is exhausting but if you can get the same timing as when you’re jumping from a starting podium, then you’re doing well. Coach Lim can only agree just because he cares about her.

 

“Get ready!”

 

Coach Lim blew his whistle as Yuri kick her legs hard against the pool’s wall forcing her body backward before turning around and starting her routine.

 

Straight arms forward. Take less breathing. Kick hard. Slice into the water like you are one.

 

She mentally reminding herself her usual routine as she’s coming to the first 50 metres. Yuri slice through the water as she made a turn kicking the wall hard as she gained momentum forward. She had breathed 3 times assuring her more speed. She keep up her momentum and posture giving her all. Unknown to Yuri, Jessica just came in the indoor pool and stood next to Coach Lim. She had a revision with her team earlier so she didn’t promise Yuri that she would make it to her training but since everyone seems a little bit tired especially with exams around the corner, she ended the meeting and let the rest go home. Coach Lim sensed Jessica presence and smile at her before keeping her eyes back on Yuri.

 

“I thought you won’t make it today.”

 

“I had a revision. How’s Yuri doing?” Jessica can’t help but asked. Coach Lim and she had grew comfortable with each other to the expense that the coach allowed Jessica to be around him to help Yuri. He had this believe that whatever the reason behind Yuri’s getting better has something to do with Jessica. So it is right to let the girl around while Yuri is training.

 

“She’s doing well but she’s so determine today that it worries me. Injuries are the thing I want to avoid before Kazan and Rio.”

 

“She’s pushing herself? Why?”

 

Coach Lim folding his hands as Yuri is almost finish.

 

“That I have no idea. Maybe you should ask her? You know she won’t tell me anything. So I’m counting on you. Let her relax her body a little. Pushing herself is not good.”

 

“Of course sir. I will. Thank you for telling me.”

 

Coach Lim smile as he pats Jessica head.

 

“I treat her like my own kid. You too. Both of you need to take care of yourself. Talk to her okay?”

 

Jessica slightly nodding as Yuri finally make the final touch and Coach Lim stop his stopwatch.

 

“2.03! Good job Yul!”

 

Yuri pulled herself up and took off her googles and swimming cap. She’s satisfied with that timing but her eyes caught on the girl standing next to Coach Lim. She can’t help but happily smiling.

 

“Sica!”

 

Jessica waving her hand as Yuri happily running towards her. This kid like girlfriend of hers. Jessica get Yuri’s towel in her bag as she handed it over for the swimming genius. Yuri happily take it. Coach Lim knew he’s not really wanting to be here right now and watch this mushy couple together. He cleared his throat.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow Yul. Drive home safely okay?”

 

Yuri gladly nodding as Coach Lim leaving the two of them together. Jessica helped Yuri drying her hair as Yuri gladly let her be. Jessica focus on her task as Yuri just taking her time watching her girlfriend.

 

“You don’t have a revision with your team?”

 

“Everyone are tired doing revision for exams so we cut it short and start again fresh tomorrow.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Jessica finish her job but let the towel hanging on Yuri’s neck. She held the hem of the towel pulling Yuri forward but leaving a gap between them making sure she won’t get wet because of her girlfriend.

 

“Why are you pushing yourself today?”

 

Yuri frowned as she was sure that Jessica didn’t see it but maybe she did which Yuri didn’t notice.

 

“I’m not. I was just doing my best.”

 

Jessica lips tugging into a small smile.

 

“Yuri, I know you. Don’t force yourself. I don’t want you to get injured.”

 

“But, I want to do win in Kazan. I thought you’re going to be happy.”

 

“I will be happy if you win by not forcing your body. Straining your arms and legs might resulting to injury. You might not make it in Rio.”

 

Jessica meant every words. Despite the surprise dinner with Kwon SangWoo, Jessica will let things go her way only if she was sure Yuri will be fine. It is a risk but one she will take for Yuri.

 

“Okay. I won’t. I’ll listen to you.” Yuri has no choice but to listen Jessica’s wish. No one has ever really shown interest of helping her in training before but Jessica always pay attention to her training problems. She knows Jessica meant well and so far, she hadn’t been wrong about anything. Jessica smile as she ruffling Yuri’s wet hair. Yuri yelped but succumb to her girlfriend behaviour.

 

“For being a good girlfriend, let get you dress up and I’ll buy you an ice cream. Deal?”

 

Yuri eyes hinted with happiness as the word ice cream coming out of Jessica’s mouth. She jumped happily.

 

“Yeay, ice cream date!”

 

How can you not fall for the childish and cute Kwon Yuri? Well Jessica can’t and never will. She’s already falling hard and there’s no coming back.

 

…..

 

“This is a fast round. Hydrogen is a word forming from two Greek words. What does it mean?”

 

Jessica is thinking hard as her eyes travelling towards her two opponent from All Boys Myungdong Technical Institution whom discussing among them. Tiffany tap the buzzer first. The bald guy from the judge side hold his green flag for Tiffany to proceed.

 

“Hydro and gen. It means Water forming.”

 

“Two points for Suwon! Next question for Suwon. If you answer this well, your point will be double. 4 marks. What is Prismane chemical formula?”

 

Again it was Tiffany pressing the buzzer. Jessica seems to be lost since she hardly answering anything and Myundong Technical saw it.

 

“C6H6.”

 

“Good job Suwon. 8 marks!” Another judge counting both school marks and it seems they had the same total. The bald guy announce it.

 

“It seems both school has the same total marks. We’re going for a sudden death round. Each school will be picking their rival for this round. Suwon Institution?”

 

Tiffany nudged Jessica on the side startling Jessica. She for sure knew that MyungDong might have notice Jessica not being able to focus for this game will be an advantage for them.

 

“Jess, you seems to be out of your mind. Focus.”

 

Jessica knows she hadn’t really been in the game since Tiffany answering most of the questions. Their rival might be targeting her.

 

“Sorry. I…”

 

“Stay in the game. I suggest we pick Bogum for this round. He’s the new guy and he look nervous the whole time.”

 

“Sure..” Well Jessica not sure to be honest. She’s not really in her mind right now. But she can’t let her team down. Not because of her. Tiffany faced the judges.

 

“No. 2.”

 

Park Bogum slowly rose up. He look rather nervous just as Tiffany had predicted. He didn’t want to do this face off and become the reason of his team failure. The remaining member of Myungdong look at the judges.

 

“No. 1.” Tiffany almost cursing out loudly. It was expected. They pick Jessica for the round. If she is herself today, Tiffany can guarantee that their rival wouldn’t be picking Jessica at all. Now they see Jessica as the weakness. Jessica stood up as she didn’t dare looking at anyone. It will be her fault if they lose.

 

“Sica!”

 

….

 

“Something is wrong with Jessica, Yul.” Taeyeon isn’t the only one noticing it. Yuri had senses it since earlier. Jessica is not herself right now. Yuri bite her finger frustrating over Jessica condition right now.

 

“I know.”

 

“Did you guys fight?”

 

“No!” Yuri hissed as she was pissed by Taeyeon accusations. Taeyeon’s raise both hands up.

 

“Hey, I’m not accusing you. I’m asking. She’s not doing well. They’re going attack her if they got a chance.”

 

Yuri knows Taeyeon meant well. Tiffany is taking the team by herself without Jessica and if there’s a sudden death round, MyungDong will use Jessica to win.

 

“It seems both school has the same total marks. We’re going for a sudden death round. Each school will be picking their rival for this round. Suwon Institution?” The announcer announced. This nerve wrecking for Yuri. While Tiffany calling the number 2 player, MyungDong did what everyone had anticipated; they called for Jessica.

 

“No.1.”

 

Yuri watched as Jessica slowly rose up from her seat looking down on the floor instead facing her opponent. This is not good. She had to do something. Yuri quickly stood up surprising Taeyeon and the rest of people around her.

 

“Sica!”

 

….

 

“Sica!”

 

Jessica bravely looked around spotting Yuri who’s standing just before her eyes.

 

“Be yourself! Win it for yourself! I’m always here!”

 

Jessica felt tears pooling in her eyes as Yuri screaming loud reminding her the same advice she gave to the tan girl herself. How ironic it is when she was the one not doing it for herself. Jessica nodding as she held her tears in and calm herself down. This is for herself. Cheering from her team supporters erupting inside the hall hoping to cheer Jessica up. It is sad when you have to watch a good player like Jessica looking so down at the moment.

 

“Are both schools ready? Here is the question. What does fear of failure is call?”

 

This time the tears can’t be stop as it rolled down Jessica’s cheek. Everyone were shocked as they are seeing the leader of Suwon All Girls Institution shed tears in public. It even surprise Tiffany whom had no idea why Jessica is crying. Yuri herself had no idea.

 

“Sica…”

 

Jessica sobbed as she answered. “Atychiphobia. Fear of failure.”

 

All judges raised their green flag as they confirms it.

 

“Suwon All Girls Institution is through to the final! Congratulations!”

 

But before Tiffany can hug Jessica, the blond girl ran away leaving the hall covering as she keep on crying. Yuri clenched her fist as she jumped down the audience stand trailing behind her girlfriend. All sorts of question were in her head as she chase after Jessica. It was raining outside.

 

“Sica! Wait!” Jessica ignored Yuri’s calling as she get out of the school ground and keep on running. Yuri is chasing behind fast but when Jessica hail a taxi and get inside, she knew she won’t be able to keep up. Jessica closed the door as the taxi drove away leaving Yuri in the rain watching as Jessica disappear around the corner.

 

“Sica..”